Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sign Up Now!

Fill in table info based on # entered into specific field

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by equuscycle, Nov 19, 2005.

  1. equuscycle

    equuscycle
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    I am setting up a database to track my book purchases and sales, etc. I am
    not new to Access, but it's been so long since I've used it much that I've
    forgotten a lot of the terms, so please bear with me! I often make lot
    purchases of 50 different books. What I believe I should do is set up one
    table, say "Purchases" that contains PurchaseID, LotID (which would be the #
    of books purchased), PurchaseDate, Cost, and Tax. I believe I should have a
    separate table that would track my actual individual books, say "Items" with
    ItemID, PurchaseID (as a foreign key), Title, CategoryID (type of book), and
    UnitCost (a calculated field based on cost+tax/lotID).

    First of all, is my assumption correct?

    If so, I would like to create a form for Purchases with a subform for Items
    and be automatically prompted to enter x amount of "Items" where x = LotID.
    Is this possible? If so, how would I do this?

    Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me out!
    Tina
     
  2. Loading...

    Similar Threads Forum Date
    The Ten Methods of meditating on the world that can lead to happiness and fulfillment Interfaith Dialogues Dec 15, 2012
    Islam Habibiyya - Fanafillah Interfaith Dialogues Sep 8, 2012
    SciTech Magnetic bubbles fill edge of solar system Breaking News Jun 10, 2011
    1984 DSGMC dilly delaying for filling case against Kamal Nath, alleges Phoolka History of Sikhism May 31, 2010
    Kamdhayn/ਕਾਮਧੇਨ & Wish-fulfilling Elysian Tree. Spiritual Articles Jul 20, 2009

  3. John Vinson

    John Vinson
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:17:05 -0800, "equuscycle"
    <equuscycle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I am setting up a database to track my book purchases and sales, etc. I am
    >not new to Access, but it's been so long since I've used it much that I've
    >forgotten a lot of the terms, so please bear with me! I often make lot
    >purchases of 50 different books. What I believe I should do is set up one
    >table, say "Purchases" that contains PurchaseID, LotID (which would be the #
    >of books purchased), PurchaseDate, Cost, and Tax. I believe I should have a
    >separate table that would track my actual individual books, say "Items" with
    >ItemID, PurchaseID (as a foreign key), Title, CategoryID (type of book), and
    >UnitCost (a calculated field based on cost+tax/lotID).
    >
    >First of all, is my assumption correct?


    Absolutely. Take a look at the Northwind sample database for a
    worked-out example. Unless you need to store it for historical
    reasons, you can just calculate the UnitCost rather than storing it in
    your table, though.

    >If so, I would like to create a form for Purchases with a subform for Items
    >and be automatically prompted to enter x amount of "Items" where x = LotID.
    >Is this possible? If so, how would I do this?


    Why preenter records?

    A Continuous Subform will let you enter a row; move to the next row,
    enter another; move to the next row, enter another, as long as your
    fingers hold out (well, or until you type in over 2 GBytes of data).

    >Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me out!
    >Tina


    John W. Vinson[MVP]
     
  4. equuscycle

    equuscycle
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    John -- thank you for responding so quickly and for your suggestion on unit
    price! Where might I find the Northwinds database you referred to? I've
    tried to do a search through Google for Northwinds templates, but haven't
    been successful. I know at one time they came up through Access, but I'm not
    able to get to them that way any longer, unless I'm just not looking in the
    right place.

    Tina

    "John Vinson" wrote:

    > On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:17:05 -0800, "equuscycle"
    > <equuscycle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I am setting up a database to track my book purchases and sales, etc. I am
    > >not new to Access, but it's been so long since I've used it much that I've
    > >forgotten a lot of the terms, so please bear with me! I often make lot
    > >purchases of 50 different books. What I believe I should do is set up one
    > >table, say "Purchases" that contains PurchaseID, LotID (which would be the #
    > >of books purchased), PurchaseDate, Cost, and Tax. I believe I should have a
    > >separate table that would track my actual individual books, say "Items" with
    > >ItemID, PurchaseID (as a foreign key), Title, CategoryID (type of book), and
    > >UnitCost (a calculated field based on cost+tax/lotID).
    > >
    > >First of all, is my assumption correct?

    >
    > Absolutely. Take a look at the Northwind sample database for a
    > worked-out example. Unless you need to store it for historical
    > reasons, you can just calculate the UnitCost rather than storing it in
    > your table, though.
    >
    > >If so, I would like to create a form for Purchases with a subform for Items
    > >and be automatically prompted to enter x amount of "Items" where x = LotID.
    > >Is this possible? If so, how would I do this?

    >
    > Why preenter records?
    >
    > A Continuous Subform will let you enter a row; move to the next row,
    > enter another; move to the next row, enter another, as long as your
    > fingers hold out (well, or until you type in over 2 GBytes of data).
    >
    > >Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me out!
    > >Tina

    >
    > John W. Vinson[MVP]
    >
     
  5. John Vinson

    John Vinson
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 19:28:02 -0800, "equuscycle"
    <equuscycle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >John -- thank you for responding so quickly and for your suggestion on unit
    >price! Where might I find the Northwinds database you referred to? I've
    >tried to do a search through Google for Northwinds templates, but haven't
    >been successful. I know at one time they came up through Access, but I'm not
    >able to get to them that way any longer, unless I'm just not looking in the
    >right place.


    Northwind.mdb should be in the Samples folder under \Office\Access,
    unless you chose not to install it. It's certainly still on the Office
    CD.

    John W. Vinson[MVP]
     
  6. equuscycle

    equuscycle
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Ah - that's why I haven't been able to find it! I recently got a new
    machine, and I've come across things in Excell that weren't installed.

    Thanks again!!!!!

    Tina

    "John Vinson" wrote:

    > On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 19:28:02 -0800, "equuscycle"
    > <equuscycle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >John -- thank you for responding so quickly and for your suggestion on unit
    > >price! Where might I find the Northwinds database you referred to? I've
    > >tried to do a search through Google for Northwinds templates, but haven't
    > >been successful. I know at one time they came up through Access, but I'm not
    > >able to get to them that way any longer, unless I'm just not looking in the
    > >right place.

    >
    > Northwind.mdb should be in the Samples folder under \Office\Access,
    > unless you chose not to install it. It's certainly still on the Office
    > CD.
    >
    > John W. Vinson[MVP]
    >
     

Share This Page