Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sign Up Now!

file review dbase part 2

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by Ced, Jul 28, 2006.

  1. Ced

    Ced
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    I am trying to create a dbase for employee file reviews. On paper each
    review, lists: the employee, manager, district, file #, date of incident,
    customer name and 25 yes/no questions. How would I go about creating a proper
    table structure for this dbase? Each employee will have an almost infinite
    number of files reviewed. The same goes for the manager reviewing the files.
    The purpose for this dbase is to keep track of what employees are missing in
    their files. Where they can be listed in reports. Thanks for any assistance
    you can provide.
     
  2. Loading...

    Similar Threads Forum Date
    Sikh News Profiled US Sikh Throws 'Know Me' Challenge Breaking News Jul 25, 2016
    Hard Talk Sikh Musician Racially Profiled At US Restaurant Hard Talk Jul 6, 2016
    India Patna man files defamation suit against son for inter-caste marriage Breaking News Jan 6, 2014
    USA Federal hate crime indictment filed in 'savage' attack on cab driver Breaking News Apr 4, 2013
    Malaysia Bank Islam Files Police Reports Against Chief Economist Breaking News Jan 23, 2013

  3. John Vinson

    John Vinson
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 12:38:02 -0700, Ced
    <Ced@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I am trying to create a dbase for employee file reviews. On paper each
    >review, lists: the employee, manager, district, file #, date of incident,
    >customer name and 25 yes/no questions. How would I go about creating a proper
    >table structure for this dbase? Each employee will have an almost infinite
    >number of files reviewed. The same goes for the manager reviewing the files.
    >The purpose for this dbase is to keep track of what employees are missing in
    >their files. Where they can be listed in reports. Thanks for any assistance
    >you can provide.


    Sounds like you need at least the following tables:

    Employees
    EmployeeID
    LastName
    FirstName
    <other appropriate bio data>
    ManagerID

    Incidents
    IncidentNumber
    <information about the incident... does each incident involve one
    employee? maybe multiple employees? If multiple you need an
    Incident-Employee resolver table, otherwise just an EmployeeID>
    <does each incident involve a customer??

    Questions
    <how are the questions related to incidents? You know better than
    I!>

    Files
    <what's a "file" in this context? One of these sheets of paper with
    questions?>

    More info please - in *one* newsgroup, not five...

    John W. Vinson[MVP]
     
  4. Ced

    Ced
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Sorry for the posts. Thanks for the help.

    Employees looks good but do I need a table for managers?
    incidents: there is only one employee per incident and per file

    File: Each piece of paper represents a file, as the paper is the review for
    the file.

    Questions: The questions are the same for all of the file reviews (25 yes/no).

    "John Vinson" wrote:

    > On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 12:38:02 -0700, Ced
    > <Ced@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I am trying to create a dbase for employee file reviews. On paper each
    > >review, lists: the employee, manager, district, file #, date of incident,
    > >customer name and 25 yes/no questions. How would I go about creating a proper
    > >table structure for this dbase? Each employee will have an almost infinite
    > >number of files reviewed. The same goes for the manager reviewing the files.
    > >The purpose for this dbase is to keep track of what employees are missing in
    > >their files. Where they can be listed in reports. Thanks for any assistance
    > >you can provide.

    >
    > Sounds like you need at least the following tables:
    >
    > Employees
    > EmployeeID
    > LastName
    > FirstName
    > <other appropriate bio data>
    > ManagerID
    >
    > Incidents
    > IncidentNumber
    > <information about the incident... does each incident involve one
    > employee? maybe multiple employees? If multiple you need an
    > Incident-Employee resolver table, otherwise just an EmployeeID>
    > <does each incident involve a customer??
    >
    > Questions
    > <how are the questions related to incidents? You know better than
    > I!>
    >
    > Files
    > <what's a "file" in this context? One of these sheets of paper with
    > questions?>
    >
    > More info please - in *one* newsgroup, not five...
    >
    > John W. Vinson[MVP]
    >
    >
     
  5. John Vinson

    John Vinson
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 02:56:02 -0700, Ced
    <Ced@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Sorry for the posts. Thanks for the help.
    >
    >Employees looks good but do I need a table for managers?


    A manager is an employee, no? That's what the ManagerID is in the
    Employee table: a link *back into the employee table itself*, linking
    to the EmployeeID of the manager. Sorry I didn't explain that.

    >incidents: there is only one employee per incident and per file


    Then the "Files" and "Incidents" table should have an EmployeeID field
    as a link.

    >File: Each piece of paper represents a file, as the paper is the review for
    >the file.
    >
    >Questions: The questions are the same for all of the file reviews (25 yes/no).


    Just to allow for flexibility in the future, then, I'd suggest
    modeling this as a many to many relationship:

    Questions <a 25-row table with the text of the questions>
    QuestionNo <manually entered integer primary key>
    QuestionText

    Answers
    AnswerID <autonumber primary key>
    FileID <link to the files table>
    QuestionNo <link to Questions>
    Answer <yes/no>

    This will let you change, delete, or add new questions without
    redesigning any tables.

    John W. Vinson[MVP]
     
  6. Ced

    Ced
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Ok. I have created the tables: Employees, Files, Managers, Questions,
    Responses. All are linked as you stated. Now I am trying to create a form for
    the manager to complete. What I did was create a qry to base the form off of.
    It all looks good except the questions. In the form the questions are blank.
    I want the questions (which are the same for each file) to be listed. The
    manager should simply have to input his/her name, the employee, customer info
    and answer yes/no to all the questions. Then later create a report based on
    the responses. Did any of that make sense?

    "John Vinson" wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 02:56:02 -0700, Ced
    > <Ced@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Sorry for the posts. Thanks for the help.
    > >
    > >Employees looks good but do I need a table for managers?

    >
    > A manager is an employee, no? That's what the ManagerID is in the
    > Employee table: a link *back into the employee table itself*, linking
    > to the EmployeeID of the manager. Sorry I didn't explain that.
    >
    > >incidents: there is only one employee per incident and per file

    >
    > Then the "Files" and "Incidents" table should have an EmployeeID field
    > as a link.
    >
    > >File: Each piece of paper represents a file, as the paper is the review for
    > >the file.
    > >
    > >Questions: The questions are the same for all of the file reviews (25 yes/no).

    >
    > Just to allow for flexibility in the future, then, I'd suggest
    > modeling this as a many to many relationship:
    >
    > Questions <a 25-row table with the text of the questions>
    > QuestionNo <manually entered integer primary key>
    > QuestionText
    >
    > Answers
    > AnswerID <autonumber primary key>
    > FileID <link to the files table>
    > QuestionNo <link to Questions>
    > Answer <yes/no>
    >
    > This will let you change, delete, or add new questions without
    > redesigning any tables.
    >
    > John W. Vinson[MVP]
    >
     
  7. John Vinson

    John Vinson
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 08:16:02 -0700, Ced
    <Ced@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Ok. I have created the tables: Employees, Files, Managers, Questions,
    >Responses. All are linked as you stated. Now I am trying to create a form for
    >the manager to complete. What I did was create a qry to base the form off of.


    Probably not the best bet. One Great Master Query may well not be
    updateable, and it will certainly only let you update some tables and
    not others. Instead, consider using a Form with Subforms (and in your
    case probably sub-subforms).

    >It all looks good except the questions. In the form the questions are blank.
    >I want the questions (which are the same for each file) to be listed. The
    >manager should simply have to input his/her name, the employee, customer info
    >and answer yes/no to all the questions.


    I'd suggest a continuous Subform with combo boxes (bound to the answer
    table's QuestionID but displaying the question text).

    >Then later create a report based on
    >the responses. Did any of that make sense?


    Sure, but just remember that the Report is based directly on the
    tables, not on the form.

    John W. Vinson[MVP]
     

Share This Page