• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

FIFA World Cup 2010 - Thank You, South Africa!

Whom Do You Think Will Win Soccer World Cup 2010 and Why?

• Ghana <strong><font color="red">(Eliminated)</font></strong>

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uruguay <strong><font color="red">(Eliminated)</font></strong>

• Paraguay <strong><font color="red">(Eliminated)</font></strong>

• Total voters

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Well, I don't know why the male role models were ignored in India in the arena of tennis. You would have to explain that to me. It is certainly not the case here. However, tennis appeals to a significantly smaller segment of the sports audience in the US. Males and females do tend to be covered with great enthusiasm. Let me add this one thought. Tennis is one area where the international competition is taken very seriously in the US -- here is a sport where the US enthusiasts do not act as if the rest of the world did not exist. Or as you said on a different thread

think One of the problem with USA is they live in their own world.Clubs competing with each other.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Well, I don't know why the male role models were ignored in India in the arena of tennis. You would have to explain that to me. It is certainly not the case here

I guess because all the other sports are male dominated and India was looking for something for women.Tennis was broadcasted in 80s when steffi graf use to dominate.It is a game where you can see model type of women so that's make it more attractive for women and media.

BTW was just checking basketball information

tallest man player 7-9

tallest woman player 7-2

Is it a sport fdr common man or for people which are born with genetic defect lol

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
tallest man player 7-9

tallest woman player 7-2

Is it a sport fdr common man or for people which are born with genetic defect lol

This is amazing information! welcomekaur What I am going to say is going to sound racist. I hope not. But it goes back to the thread you posted about African athletes. I am going to check the average heights of people from central sub-Saharan Africa. This could very well be a result of genetic predispositions to be that tall, in combination with improved diet, pre-natal care, and environment supporting genes for height.

However the tallest among the sub Saharan African tribes seem to be the Massai with average heights of 6 feet or higher.

And perhaps we should be looking at native Americans - this article is amazing. Tallest in the World: Native Americans of the Great Plains in the Nineteenth Century This will download as a pdf file. Attached here also .

And did you see how tall the twins in central PA are - Sikhs who won a basketball tourney. I have to find that thread.

Attachments

• 70PrinceSteckel378(2).pdf
    149.8 KB · Reads: 721

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
This is amazing information! welcomekaur What I am going to say is going to sound racist. I hope not. But it goes back to the thread you posted about African athletes. I am going to check the average heights of people from central sub-Saharan Africa. This could very well be a result of genetic predispositions to be that tall, in combination with improved diet, pre-natal care, and environment supporting genes for height.

However the tallest among the sub Saharan African tribes seem to be the Massai with average heights of 6 feet or higher.

And perhaps we should be looking at native Americans - this article is amazing. Tallest in the World: Native Americans of the Great Plains in the Nineteenth Century This will download as a pdf file. Attached here also .
And did you see how tall the twins in central PA are - Sikhs who won a basketball tourney. I have to find that thread.

Actually It is not connected black athlete thread

Human height - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can check the height of Black american and white american and White's are average 1/2 inch taller than Blacks .Also I read on sports forum that to be a sprint runner you can get maximum 6-7,8 Because after that you cannot run fast.So extreme tall height become handicap

And also by country wise Dutch are today's tallest people with average ,man reaching 6ft plus.What's suprising is this in mid 19th century avaerage dutch man was 5-4,1/2 tall.So all theories that genetically tall races remain tall are just failing

And did you see how tall the twins in central PA are - Sikhs who won a basketball tourney. I have to find that thread.[/QUOTE]

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I don't understand this at all

And also by country wise Dutch are today's tallest people with average ,man reaching 6ft plus.What's suprising is this in mid 19th century avaerage dutch man was 5-4,1/2 tall.So all theories that genetically tall races remain tall are just failing

What are you saying about genetic theories??????

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I don't understand this at all

What are you saying about genetic theories??????

Well Earlier the beleif was held that tall ethnic people remains tall While short remains short no matter what they do.But In past 150 years the data collected from Holland ,Japan ,China has changed this.Now medical science is also saying that Diet and activity has much more impact on height rather than ethnicity.These days japanese and chinese are not at all considered shorter while at one time they were very short people

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Well Earlier the beleif was held that tall ethnic people remains tall While short remains short no matter what they do.But In past 150 years the data collected from Holland ,Japan ,China has changed this.Now medical science is also saying that Diet and activity has much more impact on height rather than ethnicity.These days japanese and chinese are not at all considered shorter while at one time they were very short people

Kanwardeep Singh ji

Above is not my understanding of genetic research on height for the past 35 years or more. In the 1970's when I was taking my graduate degree we were responsible for understanding the role played by genetics and environment in shaping human development. Studies of Japanese immigrants over 4 generations to Hawaii and California demonstrated a pattern of increasing height until in the last generation studied a plateau was reached and there was no further increase in height. Similar studies of the Dutch confirmed this.

Modern genetics demonstrates that many physical characteristics, including height, fluctuate within a range. A bottom average and a top average for any genetic pool. Thus you can see over generations some variation in average height. Whether a group's average falls to the bottom measure, or rises to the upper level, is explained by environmental factors such as nutrition.

Do you want references for this? I would be glad to provide them.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Kanwardeep Singh ji

Above is not my understanding of genetic research on height for the past 35 years or more. In the 1970's when I was taking my graduate degree we were responsible for understanding the role played by genetics and environment in shaping human development. Studies of Japanese immigrants over 4 generations to Hawaii and California demonstrated a pattern of increasing height until in the last generation studied a plateau was reached and there was no further increase in height. Similar studies of the Dutch confirmed this.

Modern genetics demonstrates that many physical characteristics, including height, fluctuate within a range. A bottom average and a top average for any genetic pool. Thus you can see over generations some variation in average height. Whether a group's average falls to the bottom measure, or rises to the upper level, is explained by environmental factors such as nutrition.

Do you want references for this? I would be glad to provide them.

I think we should keep this thread for discussion on FIFA and football.No more height or basketball discussion

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Narayanjot ji,

Soccer may not be The Sport in US but it is gaining ground like no other sport in US... Just watch this full video and see how die-hard US fans react to every moment in their match against Slovenia: 2010 World Cup: U.S.'s biggest all-time goals - ESPN Soccernet

:geeksingh:

Aman singh ji

A handful of fans cheering on the field does not mean a sport is popular or not.In almost every cricket Match barmy army the name of english cricket fans watch it and cheer it.Almost all grounds in england have good presence of englishmen in UK.Yet it is not well known fact that cricket is not so much popular now.Cricket world cup is considered as small event in their sports media of UK

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Just in case you missed my point. icecreammunda

Aman Singh ji

No -- I take your point and agree completely. On this or perhaps the other thread I explained how soccer is growing in popularity by leaps and bounds. Arenas are being constructed to honor the sport.

It is just hard to find much adoration or even much coverage in the sports pages of local and national papers.

Basketball remains the national religion. LOL icecreamkudi

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Big pic versus Little pic should give your the idea of it. cheerleader

Attachments

• basket ball.jpg
    basket ball.jpg
    170.3 KB · Reads: 207

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I don't know what is wrong with football.In cricket Non test playing nations can't even think of defeating Aus India,sri lanka.Here spain ,germany and Italy are either losing or playing Draws.The ranking of New zealand is 78 while italy is world champion

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Its not that dull dead draws are being played out... i think, the general standard of the game has improved world over and some very high quality football is being played in this world cup... all though many matches have drawn but i have never been bored even for a single moment... i am loving it!! although its incredible that India have never ever reached anywhere near qualifing for the Fifa World Cup... Football is truly a global game... :)

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Its not that dull dead draws are being played out... i think, the general standard of the game has improved world over and some very high quality football is being played in this world cup... all though many matches have drawn but i have never been bored even for a single moment... i am loving it!! although its incredible that India have never ever reached anywhere near qualifing for the Fifa World Cup... Football is truly a global game... :)

Aman singh ji

After watching the pathetic condition of Indian fast bowlers do you think we ever have chance to qualify.We spend billions on cricket ,produced genuis batsmen,spinners but fast bowling the only department where physical fitness is the key and requirement is speed stamina strength we are failing consistently

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Look at this article

African players add extra kick to Indian football

Four hundred Africans and a million Indian hearts. The equation is quite simple for legions of football fans in the country who, over the last two decades, have seen the game getting new life and energy with African players dominating the Indian turf with their raw power and talent.

From the grounds of Kolkata in the east to the clubs of Goa in the west, Kerala in the south and Delhi in the north, African footballers are adding their distinctive flavour of power football at a time when football in India - a country known for its cricket craze - is trying to catch up with the world's best.

Pick any of the 12 I-league teams and you cannot miss the African presence. The top clubs shell out around Rs.2.5 million (approx $50,000) for a player for one season.

These players come from countries like Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana, Liberia and Congo and play crucial roles in club teams. With their power strikes, Africans have been the top scorers in football leagues in India - from Bengal to Goa, from Delhi to Kerala.

Most importantly, they add a dash of colour and excitement in the domestic season and pull crowds to the stadiums.

The first African name to strike a chord was David Williams. He represented Tamil Nadu state in the inter-state Santosh Trophy in the 1970s before East Bengal Club, the country's premier club, picked him up.

Later, in the 1980s, Nigerians Emeka Ezeugo and Cheema Okerie were star attractions in Kolkata teams. The two not only left Indian fans in thrall with their skill and power but also opened a window for other Africans to play in India. Many came as students and found a way to earn good money.

According to former India captain and Olympian P.K. Banerjee, Emeka and Cheema had a lasting impact on Indian football.

"Of all the overseas footballers, Cheema and Emeka were a class apart and no wonder they played the World Cup. It is not easy to get such quality players too frequently," he said.

Emeka will always be remembered as the first World Cupper to play in India. He was adjudged the best player in the 1990 Nehru Club Cup, scoring eight goals to take Kolkata's Mohammedan Sporting into the semi-finals.

Septuagenarian Ashok Ghosh vividly remembers how Cheema terrorised the defenders.

"Cheema was raw power. He was called the black cheetah. There were a lot of good strikers, but Cheema was of a different class. He was not only powerful but fast as well. The defenders were mortally scared of him," he said.

Like the Nigerians, Ghanaians Yusif Yakubu and Suley Musah have also brought in a high level of professionalism into the Indian teams.

The gallery of fame is long and distinguished.

Last year, Congolese striker Mboyo Iyomi played a key role in I-League champions Dempo's success. It became the first Indian club to qualify for the AFC Cup semifinals.

"Being a foreigner, it is easier to get noticed in India. Money is not the only factor," said Iyomi.

Mumbai FC recently recruited two Ghanaians - Michael Osei and James Dissimariah - and they both played with Chelsea star Michael Essien in Ghana.

"We were inspired by Essien's success overseas. We also wanted to come out of our country and prosper. India gives us good money, and the experience to become a tough professional," said Dissimariah.

Englishman David Booth, now in charge of Mumbai FC, has had the experience of coaching in Ghana and says Africans do not hesitate to venture out for better prospects.

"African players will go and play in any country. In India, they are the key players in the clubs they play for as they are the most dependable. Playing with and against them, Indian players have benefited in terms of both skills and stamina," said Booth, who has also coached Mahindra United in the past.

Being an outsider Booth is surprised to see a large number of African youngsters turning out every day for trials at the Mahindra factory ground.

"It is nice to see that young Africans who come here for studies are also serious about making a career out of football. But it becomes difficult for me to accommodate everyone," he said.

Cheema, who is now coaching Delhi's second division I-League club ND Heroes, recalls his days when he came to India as a student and went on to establish himself as one of the prolific scorers here.

"Coaching in Delhi reminds me of my olden days. Here in the morning I see several Africans, who come here to study, practising in parks and grounds. At ND Heroes I call them for trials and it is heartening to see the enormous talent that they have," he said.

Delhi clubs are now recruiting good foreigners, Cheema said, adding that there are approximately 50 Africans playing in the Delhi league.

"Delhi clubs have realised they have to be in the first division I-League, and for that they are now recruiting top African professionals," he said.

In the last two years, Africans have emerged top goal scorers in the national I-League. Churchill Brothers striker Odafe Onyeka Okolie was the best player of the inaugural I-League in 2007-08 and has been in tremendous form in the ongoing second edition.

"India made me famous. Had I stayed back in Nigeria, I wouldn't have achieved all this name and fame. India is special as they have good players and playing with them has been a great experience," said Odafe.

JCT coach Sukhwinder Singh feels players like Odafe are crowd pullers and a good advertisement for the game. "In the past, people used to come to see Cheema and Emeka. There was a dip in between, but now Odafe is creating waves in the I-League," said Sukhwinder, a former national coach.

Goan Joaquim Leitao, a teenager, likes Odafe's slow style of play.

"Odafe is a very clever player. He... suddenly picks up speed and in a moment you will see the ball in the net. I wish we had 10-15 Odafes so that India could play the World Cup," he said.

African footballers have not only blossomed in the Indian domestic league but also been crucial to the success of Indian clubs overseas.

Ghanaian Musah led East Bengal to become the first Indian club to win an international tournament, the ASEAN Cup in 2003. Burly Nigerian Mike Okoro also played a crucial role by scoring a goal in the final for the Kolkata team.

African footballers have long been showing Indian fans how to bring a zing to a kick. They continue to do so.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: