• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Fear Of God

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Shabad 26

Gauree, Third Mehl:
ang 232

The mind has intuitively healed itself, through the Fear of God.
The mind is attuned to the Word of the Shabad; it is lovingly attuned to the Lord.It abides within its own home, in harmony with the Lord's Will. ||1||

Serving the True Guru, egotistical pride departs,
and the Lord of the Universe, the Treasure of Excellence, is obtained. ||1||Pause||

The mind becomes detached and free of desire, when it experiences the Fear of God, through the Shabad.
My Immaculate God is pervading and contained among all.
By Guru's Grace, one is united in His Union. ||2||

The slave of the Lord's slave attains peace.
My Lord God is found in this way.
By the Grace of the Lord, one comes to sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord. ||3||

Cursed is that long life, during which love for the Lord's Name is not enshrined. Cursed is that comfortable bed which lures one into the darkness of attachment to sexual desire.
Fruitful is the birth of that person who takes the Support of the Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||4||

Cursed, cursed is that home and family, in which the love of the Lord is not embraced.He alone is my friend, who sings the Glorious Praises of the Lord.
Without the Lord's Name, there is no other for me. ||5||

From the True Guru, I have obtained salvation and honor.
I have meditated on the Name of the Lord, and all my sufferings have been erased.
I am in constant bliss, lovingly attuned to the Lord's Name. ||6||

Meeting the Guru, I came to understand my body.
The fires of ego and desire have been totally quenched.
Anger has been dispelled, and I have grasped hold of tolerance. ||7||

The Lord Himself showers His Mercy, and bestows the Naam.
How rare is that Gurmukh, who receives the jewel of the Naam.
O Nanak, sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, the Unknowable, the Incomprehensible. ||8||8||

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Shabad 27

Gauree, Third Mehl:
ang 233

[Notes: The shabad speaks about the effect of the Fear of God on Mind. The fear of God helps the mind to be in equipoise.It is the state where the real devotion begins. The word of shabad has been extensively used by the translators. It generally stands for the The dibvine 'word' or Naam as is generally implied and referred to in the scriptures.One may call it 'sabad', word., Naam or akhar etc. By instilling the Fear one also sheds off the ego and also seeks detachment and finally it reaches the stage where there is no hope and desires left in the mind.]

The mind has intuitively healed itself, through the Fear of God.
The mind is attuned to the Word of the Shabad; it is lovingly attuned to the Lord.It abides within its own home, in harmony with the Lord's Will. ||1||

Serving the True Guru, egotistical pride departs,
and the Lord of the Universe, the Treasure of Excellence, is obtained. ||1||Pause||

The mind becomes detached and free of desire, when it experiences the Fear of God, through the Shabad.
My Immaculate God is pervading and contained among all.
By Guru's Grace, one is united in His Union. ||2||

The slave of the Lord's slave attains peace.
My Lord God is found in this way.
By the Grace of the Lord, one comes to sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord. ||3||

Cursed is that long life, during which love for the Lord's Name is not enshrined.Cursed is that comfortable bed which lures one into the darkness of attachment to sexual desire.
Fruitful is the birth of that person who takes the Support of the Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||4||

Cursed, cursed is that home and family, in which the love of the Lord is not embraced.He alone is my friend, who sings the Glorious Praises of the Lord.

Without the Lord's Name, there is no other for me. ||5||
From the True Guru, I have obtained salvation and honor.
I have meditated on the Name of the Lord, and all my sufferings have been erased.
I am in constant bliss, lovingly attuned to the Lord's Name. ||6||

Meeting the Guru, I came to understand my body.
The fires of ego and desire have been totally quenched.
Anger has been dispelled, and I have grasped hold of tolerance. ||7||

The Lord Himself showers His Mercy, and bestows the Naam.
How rare is that Gurmukh, who receives the jewel of the Naam.
O Nanak, sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, the Unknowable, the Incomprehensible. ||8||8||

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Shabad 28
Aasaa, First Mehl:
ang 350

Make your intellect your instrument, and love your tambourine;
thus bliss and lasting pleasure shall be produced in your mind.
This is devotional worship, and this is the practice of penance.
So dance in this love, and keep the beat with your feet. ||1||

Know that the perfect beat is the Praise of the Lord;
other dances produce only temporary pleasure in the mind. ||1||Pause||

Play the two cymbals of truth and contentment.
Let your ankle bells be the lasting Vision of the Lord.
Let your harmony and music be the elimination of duality.
So dance in this love, and keep the beat with your feet. ||2||

Let the fear of God within your heart and mind be your spinning dance, and keep up, whether sitting or standing.To roll around in the dust is to know that the body is only ashes.So dance in this love, and keep the beat with your feet. ||3||

Keep the company of the disciples, the students who love the teachings. As Gurmukh, listen to the True Name.
O Nanak, chant it, over and over again.
So dance in this love, and keep the beat with your feet. ||4||6||

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Shabad29

Aasaa, First Mehl:
ang 357

[Notes: In this shabad also the soul has been referred to as the Bride. The Almighy is referred to as The Lord Himself and the Place of His seat is stated to be the 'in-laws house'. The soul has to receive/get the glane of His grace for being eligible for seeing HIM or meeting Him. In this shabad also there is a reflection of the helplessness of the soul as everything it receives is only after He has castes His glance. One comes to know of His likings through the Guru. Here ,for us, Guru would mean the 'sabad guru' i.e. the only guru that we have with us for guidance.Since the Bani has been given the status of the God we also have the God Himself guiding us.In the end of the sabad the fear of God and the love of Lord are stated to be the ornaments that every soul should wear.Thus getting His grace itself become th sub-objective of our life and drawing one step backward we should always try to do things that are pleasant to Him. We do not come across many 'tuks' that deal with the subject matter. I am quoting one of these below.

syeI quDuno gwvih jo quDu Bwvin rqy qyry Bgq rswly ]
(6-11, jpu, mÚ 1)

They alone sing, who are pleasing to Your Will. Your devotees are imbued with the Nectar of YourEssence.

In similar fashion the following Lines also contain as to How to please Him.

• gieAw su jobnu Dn pCuqwnI ]3] (357-2, Awsw, mÚ 1)
My beautiful youth has run away, and now I, the soul-bride, repent and regret. ||3||
  • AjY su jwgau Aws ipAwsI ] (357-3, Awsw, mÚ 1)
Even now, I am held by hope and desire.
  • BeIly audwsI rhau inrwsI ]1] rhwau ] (357-3, Awsw, mÚ 1)
I am depressed; I have no hope at all. ||1||Pause||
  • haumY Koie kry sIgwru ] (357-4, Awsw, mÚ 1)
She overcomes her egotism, and adorns herself;
  • qau kwmix syjY rvY Bqwru ]4] (357-4, Awsw, mÚ 1)
the Husband Lord now ravishes and enjoys the soul-bride on His Bed. ||4||
  • qau nwnk kMqY min BwvY ] (357-4, Awsw, mÚ 1)
Then, O Nanak, the bride becomes pleasing to the Mind of her Husband Lord;]​

Let us Look at the shabad itself:

In this world of my father's house, I, the soul-bride, have been very childish;I did not realize the value of my Husband Lord. ||1||

My Husband is the One; there is no other like Him. If He bestows His Glance of Grace, then I shall meet Him. ||1||Pause||

In the next world of my in-law's house, I, the the soul-bride, shall realize Truth;I shall come to know the celestial peace of my Husband Lord. ||2||

By Guru's Grace, such wisdom comes to me,so that the soul-bride becomes pleasing to the Mind of the Husband Lord. ||3||

Says Nanak, she who adorns herself with the Love and the Fear of God,enjoys her Husband Lord forever on His Bed. ||4||27||

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Shabad 30
Aasaa, First Mehl:
ang 413

[Notes: As per sikh scriptures the devotional worship is of supreme importance. Without devotional worship it is difficult to realize Him. To do meaningful devotional worship one has to be in the state of equipoise .The equipoise has become a concept in sikhism and talks of as to how should we accept the two extremes without getting our mind really bothered by these extremes like pleasure and pain or heat and cold. These extremes are stated to be the stimuli for the senses only and should be suitably reacted to. Anyone who is above the three dispositions is the one who can attain the equipoise or the intuitive peace. It is at this stage that the devotional worship begins. We may struggle through out our lives but if we are not able to develop fear and love of God the devotional worship is not possible.It is essential to do simran on wahegure and with passage of time and after some delay the love for god develops.[Maskeen ji].If one can get even the blessings for devotional worship the purpose of life should be treated as fulfilled to a great extent.Gyani ji has laid lot of importance on Simran. The present shabad is a summary of the concepts of equipoise, devotional worship, subduing of senses and Fear of god besides the five passions that are to be suitably controlled and corrected.]

When someone dies, the five passions meet and mourn his death.Overcoming self-conceit, he washes off his filth with the Word of the Shabad.One who knows and understands, enters the home of peace and poise.Without understanding, he loses all his honor. ||1||

Who dies, and who weeps for him?O Lord, Creator, Cause of causes, You are over the heads of all. ||1||Pause||

Who weeps over the pain of the dead?Those who weep, do so over their own troubles.God knows the condition of those who are so affected.Whatever the Creator does, comes to pass. ||2||

One who remains dead while yet alive, is saved, and saves others as well.Celebrate the Victory of the Lord; taking to His Sanctuary, the supreme status is obtained.I am a sacrifice to the feet of the True Guru.The Guru is the boat; through the Shabad of His Word, the terrifying world-ocean is crossed over. ||3||

He Himself is Fearless; His Divine Light is contained in all.
Without the Name, the world is defiled and untouchable.
Through evil-mindedness, they are ruined; why should they cry out and weep?They are born only to die, without hearing the music of devotional worship. ||4||

Only one's true friends mourn one's death.Those under the sway of the three dispositions continue to mourn on and on.
Disregarding pain and pleasure, center your consciousness on the Lord.Dedicate your body and mind to the Love of the Lord. ||5||

The One Lord dwells within the various and countless beings.
There are so many rituals and religious faiths, their number is innumerable.Without the Fear of God, and devotional worship, one's life is in vain.Singing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, the supreme wealth is obtained. ||6||

He Himself dies, and He Himself kills.He Himself establishes, and having established, disestablishes.He created the Universe, and by His Divine Nature, instilled His Divine Light into it.
One who reflects upon the Word of the Shabad, meets the Lord, without doubt. ||7||

Pollution is the burning fire, which is consuming the world.
Pollution is in the water, upon the land, and everywhere.
O Nanak, people are born and die in pollution.By Guru's Grace, they drink in the Lord's sublime elixir. ||8||4||

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Shabad 31

Aasaa, Third Mehl:
ang 428

Those whom the Lord has caused to drink in the Ambrosial Nectar, naturally, intuitively, enjoy the sublime essence.
The True Lord is care-free; he does not have even an iota of greed. ||1||

The True Ambrosial Nectar rains down, and trickles into the mouths of the Gurmukhs.Their minds are forever rejuvenated, and they naturally, intuitively, sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

The self-willed manmukhs are forever forsaken brides; they cry out and bewail at the Lord's Gate.Those who do not enjoy the sublime taste of their Husband Lord, act according to their pre-ordained destiny. ||2||

The Gurmukh plants the seed of the True Name, and it sprouts. He deals in the True Name alone.Those whom the Lord has attached to this profitable venture, are granted the treasure of devotional worship. ||3||

The Gurmukh is forever the true, happy soul-bride; she adorns herself with the fear of God and devotion to Him.Night and day, she enjoys her Husband Lord; she keeps Truth enshrined within her heart. ||4||

I am a sacrifice to those who have enjoyed their Husband Lord.
They dwell forever with their Husband Lord; they eradicate self-conceit from within. ||5||

Their bodies and minds are cooled and soothed, and their faces are radiant, from the love and affection of their Husband Lord.
They enjoy their Husband Lord upon His cozy bed, having conquered their ego and desire. ||6||

Granting His Grace, He comes into our homes, through our infinite Love for the Guru.The happy soul-bride obtains the One Lord as her Husband. ||7||

All of her sins are forgiven; the Uniter unites her with Himself.
O Nanak, chant such chants, that hearing them, He may enshrine love for you. ||8||12||34||

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Shalok 32

Shalok, First Mehl:
Ang 464

[ The literal Meaning of the shabad is self explanatory]

• In the Fear of God, the wind and breezes ever blow.
  • In the Fear of God, thousands of rivers flow.
  • In the Fear of God, fire is forced to labor.
  • In the Fear of God, the earth is crushed under its burden.
  • In the Fear of God, the clouds move across the sky.
  • In the Fear of God, the Righteous Judge of Dharma stands at His Door.
  • In the Fear of God, the sun shines, and in the Fear of God, the moon reflects.
  • They travel millions of miles, endlessly.
  • In the Fear of God, the Siddhas exist, as do the Buddhas, the demi-gods and Yogis.
  • In the Fear of God, the Akaashic ethers are stretched across the sky.
  • In the Fear of God, the warriors and the most powerful heroes exist.
  • In the Fear of God, multitudes come and go.
  • God has inscribed the Inscription of His Fear upon the heads of all.
  • O Nanak, the Fearless Lord, the Formless Lord, the True Lord, is One. ||1||

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Shabad 33
Shalok, First Mehl:
ang 468

• There is a famine of Truth; falsehood prevails, and the blackness of the Dark Age of Kali Yuga has turned men into demons.
  • Those who planted their seed have departed with honor; now, how can the shattered seed sprout?
  • If the seed is whole, and it is the proper season, then the seed will sprout.
  • O Nanak, without treatment, the raw fabric cannot be dyed.
  • In the Fear of God it is bleached white, if the treatment of modesty is applied to the cloth of the body.
  • O Nanak, if one is imbued with devotional worship, his reputation is not false. ||1|

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Shabad 34

Goojaree, First Mehl,

Fourth House:
ang 505

[Notes: The shabad talks of the glory of Naam and that one is to be in His meditation through the naam. The translator has stated the name of the lord as Naam in the following verse. Though it may not be the exact interpretation of the concerned line but many have suggested that as we are not aware of Naam, the Love for the same and the lord becomes Naam for the devotees.Thus Naam is also reflective of the Lord Himself as the Nam is the sagun form of the lord. As per the sikhism the 'waheguru' Gurumantra also points out at this. The love of lord and the Fear of The lord are intermingled and as per what is gathered it is difficult to state as to which precedes but it should be the love of Lord that should precede. One can engage in devotional worship once the ornamental fear of Lord is instilled in the mind.The basic point to begin with is to develop the love of Lord that should lead to the fear of lord and this should result in the devotional worship and without it not much can be achieved. It is for the individual to develop the love of Lord. It does not happen automatically. As per Maskeen ji the constant meditation and recitation of 'waheguru' is helpful in developing the Love of Lord. Once the Naam is implanted one reaches the stage of fear of lord. It requires practice. All other attachments are temporal it is the attachment to this naam that we can swim across the tides and waves of this world.As Lord is shapeless so should be His love and His naam.We can just speculate over naam that is the insignia of the Lord. WE have to appreciate the creator and His attributes and the potency.To me Lord is in the nature, all pervasive and fathomless like its manifestation in the format of Nature."wahguru' answers all the queries. Sikhism ,in essence, boils down to the recitation and the meditation Of This naam i.e. 'waheguru'.One may point out if there is some flaw in this.I shall ,however, not reply to the same as it a matter of belief only. ]

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

The devotees worship the Lord in loving adoration. They thirst for the True Lord, with infinite affection.They tearfully beg and implore the Lord; in love and affection, their consciousness is at peace. ||1||

Chant the Naam, the Name of the Lord, O my mind, and take to His Sanctuary.The Lord's Name is the boat to cross over the world-ocean. Practice such a way of life. ||1||Pause||

O mind, even death wishes you well, when you remember the Lord through the Word of the Guru's Shabad.
The intellect receives the treasure, the knowledge of reality and supreme bliss, by repeating the Lord's Name in the mind. ||2||

The fickle consciousness wanders around chasing after wealth; it is intoxicated with worldly love and emotional attachment.
Devotion to the Naam is permanently implanted within the mind, when it is attuned to the Guru's Teachings and His Shabad. ||3||

Wandering around, doubt is not dispelled; afflicted by reincarnation, the world is being ruined.
The Lord's eternal throne is free of this affliction; he is truly wise, who takes the Naam as his deep meditation. ||4||

This world is engrossed in attachment and transitory love; it suffers the terrible pains of birth and death.
Run to the Sanctuary of the True Guru, chant the Lord's Name in your heart, and you shall swim across. ||5||

Following the Guru's Teaching, the mind becomes stable; the mind accepts it, and reflects upon it in peaceful poise.
That mind is pure, which enshrines Truth within, and the most excellent jewel of spiritual wisdom. ||6||

By the Fear of God, and Love of God, and by devotion, man crosses over the terrifying world-ocean, focusing his consciousness on the Lord's Lotus Feet.
The Name of the Lord, the most pure and sacred, is within my heart; this body is Your Sanctuary, Lord. ||7||

The waves of greed and avarice are subdued, by treasuring the Lord's Name in the mind.Subdue my mind, O Pure Immaculate Lord; says Nanak, I have entered Your Sanctuary. ||8||1||5||

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Shabad 35
Shalok, Third Mehl:
ang 516

The milkmaid's status is very low, but she attains her Husband Lord,when she reflects upon the Word of the Guru's Shabad, and chants the Lord's Name, night and day.She who meets the True Guru, lives in the Fear of God; she is a woman of noble birth.She alone realizes the Hukam of her Husband Lord's Command, who is blessed by the Creator Lord's Mercy.
She who is of little merit and ill-mannered, is discarded and forsaken by her Husband Lord.
By the Fear of God, filth is washed off, and the body becomes immaculately pure.
The soul is enlightened, and the intellect is exalted, meditating on the Lord, the ocean of excellence.
One who dwells in the Fear of God, lives in the Fear of God, and acts in the Fear of God.
He obtains peace and glorious greatness here, in the Lord's Court, and at the Gate of Salvation.
Through the Fear of God, the Fearless Lord is obtained, and one's light merges in the Infinite Light.
O Nanak, that bride alone is good, who is pleasing to her Lord and Master, and whom the Creator Lord Himself forgives. ||1||

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Shabad 36

Third Mehl:
ang 549-11

Serve the Guru, and wait upon Him; as you work, maintain the Fear of God.
As you serve Him, you will become like Him, as you walk according to His Will.
O Nanak, He Himself is everything; there is no other place to go. ||2||

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Shabad 37
Shalok, Third Mehl:
ang 551

[ Notes: The meaning of the slok is self explanatory. By developing the Love of Lord one is instilled with the fear of Lord that automatically leads to the devotional worship which is supposed to be the first step for successful devotion and the Service of Lord.The same is the message conveyed here. If one develops the fear of Lord one need not be afraid of anything else in this world of human affairs. In this Shabas/slok the 'word of sabad' is again glorified as it has intrinsic divinity associated with it.This has already been discussed in the earlier Notes.]

O Shaykh, abandon your cruel nature; live in the Fear of God and give up your madness.Through the Fear of the Guru, many have been saved; in this fear, find the Fearless Lord.

Pierce your stone heart with the Word of the Shabad; let peace and tranquility come to abide in your mind.If good deeds are done in this state of peace, they are approved by the Lord and Master.O Nanak, through sexual desire and anger, no one has ever found God - go, and ask any wise man. ||1|

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Shabad 38
ang 553

[Notes: The expression Like "gurmukh' and 'Manmukh' are also typical to sikhism. Gurmukh is said to be one who acts as per the teachings of the Guru and Manmukh does not. It is the literal meaning and is accepted. However we can say that Gurmukh is a person whose face is turned toward th God.He obeys the Guru. Gurmukh is stated to be the quality of a devotee.It is only a Gurmukh who is blessed with the Guru's teaching and who is able to realize the God. One may also state Gurmukh as the one who is God conscious. In fact the terms at macro level tends to take the meaning arrived at by taking the translation of an Athiest and a Theist.However,it is only a subjective evaluation and many may differ.Being Gurmukh is an essential qualification for a devotee as per Sikhism.The term has a specific connotation in sikhism. In wider context it fits in for a person who remains in Fear of God and is in possession of the most precious possession i.e. Love Of God and devotional worship. The term is detailed out in many verses of Granth sahib.]
[gurmuiK pUrw jy kry pweIAY swcu Aqolu ]1] rhwau ] (17-11, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
One who attains perfection as Gurmukh, obtains the Immeasurable True Lord. ||1||Pause||]
Let us look at the sabad]

As Gurmukh, these are obtained, O Nanak; partaking of them, one's sins depart. ||1||

Mardaanaa:

The human body is the vat, self-conceit is the wine, and desire is the company of drinking buddies.
The cup of the mind's longing is overflowing with falsehood, and the Messenger of Death is the cup-bearer.
Drinking in this wine, O Nanak, one takes on countless sins and corruptions.
So make spiritual wisdom your molasses, the Praise of God your bread, and the Fear of God the meat you eat.
O Nanak, this is the true food; let the True Name be your only Support. ||2||

If the human body is the vat, and self-realization is the wine, then a stream of Ambrosial Nectar is produced.
Meeting with the Society of the Saints, the cup of the Lord's Love is filled with this Ambrosial Nectar; drinking it in, one's corruptions and sins are wiped away. ||3||

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Acceptance of Death: A Basic Precept
Bhupinder Singh*
* Principal Piping Engineer. Fluor Corp. USA. Email: bo.singh@fluor.com

Recently we had a death in the family. The death was at a real ripe age but there were associated health problems preceding the death. I was wondering that I may be in a death-bed like that one day, but I may wish to leave the body without a struggle in medical terms. The old age should not warrant confinement to the hospitals and nursing homes alone. The effort to prolong the life should not get translated into prolonging the suffering. The vagaries of age can make one infirm, weak and also in pain, but it should not result in waiting for death to come and put an end to all the sufferings. Is there any thing that could be done to improve those odds?
When one visits hospitals one can see old patients on life saving devices. The doctors and the family members are working against the clock to save the life of the patient and to prolong life. Death has become a symbol failure against the life. Death has ceased to mean as a final progression of life. Interestingly Dr. Sherwin B. Nuland in his book How We Die has also expressed the similar sentiments in these words; “It is also the recognition that the real event at the end of our life is our death, not an attempt to prevent it.”

Suddenly I remembered about the last days of Guru Nanak Dev ji. Till the end, he was active in Kartarpur farming his wheat fields and singing hymns in praise of God. The community at Kartarpur drinking in the inspiration of his divine songs and from his personal aura learnt from the master, the art of loving worship of the Lord. At the human level we see from Guru Ji’s life that he kept a very active pace of life both physically and mentally. When the call came from heaven, Guru Ji told the crowds that they would make him happy if they rejoiced with him on his return. He sang a song of joy and asked all those around him to join in singing the wedding song. The song is:

“jY Gir kIriq AwKIAY krqy kw hoie bIcwro ] iqqu Gir gwvhu soihlw isvirhu isrjxhwro ]1] qum gwvhu myry inrBau kw soihlw ] hau vwrI ijqu soihlY sdw suKu hoie ]1] rhwau ] inq inq jIAVy smwlIAin dyKYgw dyvxhwru ] qyry dwnY kImiq nw pvY iqsu dwqy kvxu sumwru ]2] sMbiq swhw iliKAw imil kir pwvhu qylu ] dyhu sjx AsIsVIAw ijau hovY swihb isau mylu ]3] Gir Gir eyho pwhucw sdVy inq pvMin ] sdxhwrw ismrIAY nwnk sy idh AwvMin ]4]1]”

Jai ghar keerat aakhee-ai kartae kaa hoe beechaaro. {censored} ghar gaavahu sohila sivarihu sirajanehaaro.1. Tum gaavahu maerae nirabho kaa sohilaa. Hau vaaree jith sohilai sadhaa sukh ho-e. Rahaao. Nit nit jeearrae samaaleean dhaekhai-gaa devan-haar. Terae daanai keemat naa pavai tis daatae kavan sumaar. 2. Sambat saahaa likhiaa mil kar paavahu tel. Dehu sajan aseesarree-aa jio hovai sahib sio mael. 3. Ghar ghar eaeho paahuchaa sadh-rhe nit pavan. Sadhan-haaraa simareeai Naanak sae deh aavann. 4. 1.”
(SGGS: 12)
Meaning:

Sing the praises of the Creator from the mind which contemplates his excellences. Sing now my wedding song (of praise), from the mind which dwells on the Universal Creator. Sing, all of you sing, the song of praises of my God, who is above fear. I am sacrifice to the song of Praise that brings everlasting joy. [Pause] He is the bestower who looks after us and takes care of all of us. Even his (bounties) are beyond evaluation, how can we evaluate the bestower of the bounties. [2] The time of departure from this world is fixed, so come together and pour the oil of blessing. Oh my friends bless me that I may unite with my Lord. [3] Every home (in body form) in due time receives these messages (of departure from this world). In fact these messages are delivered every day, every moment. (Nanak says! Oh friends!) Let us dwell on the One who sends out these messages, for the day of our departure is getting closer every moment. [4].

Now, this Shabad or song is a part of the daily night’s prayer before going to bed for a Sikh. Guru Ji, by his death’s example has set a tone for us to remember that death is not tragic end of life but a celebration of return to the Creator. He also made us remember death every night before going to bed. In fact there are anecdotes from Guru Ji’s life where he asked his companions Bala and Mardana as to how far they could see their lives. Guru Ji, after hearing their answers and being asked by them to share his own insight told them that I am sure of the breath that I have taken in, but am not sure of the next one. This little anecdote tells us that Guru Ji constantly remembered death.

However, when we look at our lives, we find that we are completely enveloped in trying to get going with our lives. We are concerned about our careers, ********s, family, house, children, and new cars. In the process our own death appears so remote that we assume that we are invincible. But, when someone close and dear to us dies, we cry as if some untold incident has taken place. Guru Ji portrays this picture as:

“EhI EhI ikAw krhu hY hosI soeI ] qum rovhugy Es no qum@ kau kauxu roeI ]”

Ooee Ooee kiya karoh, hai ho-see so-ee. Tum rowvohgehi ous noo, tum ko kauan ro-ee.” (SGGS: 418)

Meaning:
Why do you sob and cry at the death of a close one? That Lord is present now and will be ever present. If you cry at the death of close one, who will wail for you when your time comes?
Because of our preoccupation with becoming successful, we don’t step back and look at the big picture to see what is going on. Is this it? Is that all of it? Is that all that I want? Am I missing something? Am I having a feeling of being empty? We need someone to wake us up and make us probe in that direction. That won’t happen automatically, therefore Guru Ji has written about it to provoke us to start thinking about it. At present we think that if we gain acceptance of being successful in the eyes of others then we are successful. We have defined our success in terms of material gain; bigger houses, new cars, etc. Because, that is what others can see of us to evaluate if we are successful or not, and then be held in higher esteem. However, the successful life as Guru Ji has defined is the life which is approved and accepted by God. That yardstick is not tangible so it has been pushed to the side and everyone is in a race to become more successful materially than the other. In order to bring the non tangible aspects of life into focus, Guru Ji has described the scenario of the fate after death.
When that scenario plays before our eyes, it will awaken us. It will enkindle a thought about the purpose of life because we will constantly remember that I have to die too. The remembrance of death opens another vista, where we can imagine as to how we would like to be remembered by others at our own funeral. Better still will be if one takes to heart Guru Ji’s words and transform them into a mission statement:
“BeI prwpiq mwnuK dyhurIAw ] goibMd imlx kI ieh qyrI brIAw ] Avir kwj qyrY ikqY n kwm ] imlu swDsMgiq Bju kyvl nwm ]1] srMjwim lwgu Bvjl qrn kY ] jnmu ibRQw jwq rMig mwieAw kY ]

“Bha-ee parapat maanukh dayhuree-aa. Gobind Milan kee eh tayree bar-ee-aa. Avar kaaj tayrai kitai na kaam. Mil Sadh sangat bhaj kayval naam. Saranjaam lag bhavjal taran kai. Janam britha jaat rang maa-ee-aa kai.” (SGGS: 12)

Meaning:
Having received the gift of human body, it has bestowed you with a unique opportunity to meet Lord. All other efforts are of no avail, so in the company (guidance of) of the holy, make remembrance of Naam your sole initiative. Prepare and dedicate yourself to crossing the sea of worldliness. Your life is being dissipated in the pursuit of illusion (maya or material world).
Facing the death, changes the perspective of the way we view ourselves and our world. We will see the world differently and strip it of all the chaff and look at the core, the essential and vital aspects. So what is to be done? In Farid Ji’s words:
“PrIdw jn@I kMmI nwih gux qy kMmVy ivswir ] mqu srimMdw QIvhI sWeI dY drbwir ]”
Farida jinee kamee naahe gun tae kamreh visaar. Mut Sarminda theevaee saaee da-ae darbar

(SGGS:1381)

Meaning:
Farid says – Abandon those deeds that don’t produce any virtues, otherwise you will be put to shame in the Lord’s court.

So we can see that Guru’s have incorporated Farid Ji’s word to tell us that these are compatible with Guru’s own thought process and we all need to become virtuous. These words are not just congruent with Guru Ji’s thought process, but also worthy of same veneration as they have been included in Guru Granth Sahib by Guru Ji. Guru Ji says that for acquiring virtues, ego has to be removed:

“gurmuiK gux vyhwJIAih mlu haumY kFY Doie ]”

Gurmukh gun wayhaajeeahai mul haumai kadah dhoae.”

(SGGS: 311)
Meaning: The virtues are acquired by the seeker through the Guru, and the dirt, sin of egoism is washed off.

Now, how to get rid of the ego is a problem? Guru ji has provided an answer for it.

“haumY dIrG rogu hY dwrU BI iesu mwih ] ikrpw kry jy AwpxI qw gur kw sbdu kmwih ]”
Haumai deerag rog hai daaroo bhee is mahe. Kirpaa Karae je aapnee ta gur ka shabad kama-hae.”
(SGGS: 466)
Meaning:
Ego is a chronic disease but the cure for it is also within the human body. If the Lord bestows his grace, then one transforms his life according to Guru’s teachings.

Once the life transformation process is initiated, then ego’s grip will start weakening. Slowly and slowly its grip will loosen, then one can rid oneself of the false self, or ego. Ego has continual appetite for all there is, and it is never satisfied. In Hazrat Inyat Khan’s words:

“It is the realization of innumerable fault which makes one humble and effaces the little self from one’s consciousness. And it is in the effacement of the self that real spiritual attainment lies.” (Hazrat Inyat Khan; Mastery: Page 135)

So our earnest effort will be to efface this ego. When ego is effaced under Guru’s guidance then naam fills in there.

Guru Ji has defined how naam can be acquired in these words:

“Awpu mwry qw pwey nwau ]”
Aap maareh taa paae naao.
(SGGS: 153)
Meaning: If one effaces ego then only he obtains naam.
Then, Guru ji has clarified that polar opposite relationship of naam and ego:
“haumY nwvY nwil ivroDu hY duie n vsih iek Twie ]”
Haumai naavai naal virodh hai, doae na Vasai ik dhaae.”
(SGGS: 580)
Meaning: Ego is enemy of naam. The two cannot stay together in one place.

So, what effort has to be made to attain naam?

“sqgur kw Bwxw mMin leI ivchu Awpu gvwie ] eyhw syvw cwkrI nwmu vsY min Awie ] nwmY hI qy suKu pweIAY scY sbid suhwie ]”

Satgur ka bhana mun laee vichon aap gavaae. Ehaa seva chakaree naam vassai mun aa-ae. Nammai he teh sukh paeeai, sachai shabad suhaaae.” (SGGS: 34)

Meaning:

Submission to the Will of God is the way to get rid of ego. This is the service by which naam dwells in the mind. Remembrance of naam provides bliss and it makes the life beautiful.

No wonder Guru Ji has laid great emphasis on the remembrance of naam. Because with naam ego has to be displaced, therefore Guru Ji wants us to make optimal use of this opportunity to remember naam. Naam will be the harbinger of bliss. So, Guru Ji is trying to inspire us with these words to embark on remembrance:

“eIhw Kwit clhu hir lwhw AwgY bsnu suhylw ]”

Eehaan khaatt chalaho har laahaa, aagai basan suhaelaa.”
(SGGS: 13)
Meaning: Earn the profit of naam here (in this world) and depart with it, so that you will live blissfully hereafter.

One who learns how to die while alive learns how to kill ego, this in turn develops the intrinsic motivation. By developing intrinsic motivation one does not depend upon external approval or recognition for measuring one’s own success in life. Their motivation is fuelled by knowing the purpose of life. Those who depend on external motivation for their drive cannot stand up to tough challenges nor have a long-term commitment. But internal motivation provides them that fuel that helps them weather setbacks and maintain focus and have a strong mental attitude. It is because of their commitment, and understanding of the ego traits they completely purge their ego.

Once ego is completely purged and grace is obtained, one’s life becomes richer with the inner wealth. Because knowing the purpose of life, one has set a lofty ideal for himself/herself and in setting that ideal, one can soar from Earth to Heaven. When one soars mentally in the heavens then old age will come, but the effects of old age will be obliterated. The aging process is part of nature’s working, but the side effects of sickness can be avoided. It is for this reason Guru Ji has declared that naam is cure for all the diseases. Guru Ji is guaranteeing it with these words:

“srb rog kw AauKdu nwmu ]”

“Sarab rog kaa aoukhadh naam.”
(SGGS: 274)​
Meaning:
The naam is the panacea, the remedy to cure all ills.

In addition it has been said that the person will not be affected by the vagaries of the old age as in these words:

“jrw mrw kCu dUKu n ibAwpY AwgY drgh pUrn kwm ]”

Jaraa maraa kachh dhookh na biyapeh, aagai dhargai pooran kaam.”
(SGGS: 824)
Meaning:
The pains of old age and death shall not make one miserable. After death in the court of the Lord the success is assured.

We can see that Guru Ji has clearly defined that if the objective of life is clearly understood and one has worked toward its fulfillment, then neither the old age nor death can impair the quality of life at the later age. This is again amply demonstrated from the life of Guru Amar Das Ji who lived to the ripe old age of ninety five (95) years.

Guru Ji’s teaching is unique in the sense that it is asking us to prepare for our death. We plan for our children’s education, their wedding, and our own retirements but we fail to plan for our own death. Here is some flavoring of some current thinking on the issues of death.

“Our expectations as a culture for end-of-life care are too low.” –

Dr. Ira Byock; Dying Well

“When it comes to dying, pain comes in many flavors.” – Robert Wrenn
Octavio Paz the famous Mexican poet reminds us that the civilization that denies death ends by denying life. Our Gurus have written about life and have written about death as well. We have failed to embrace that aspect as it creates a fear. But Guru’s teaching tells to die while one is alive so that fear of death is eliminated and every moment of life becomes celebration and then Guru Ji says even life after death also becomes a celebration.
We have seen that Guru Ji is not a taker of life but he is a giver of life. Even when Guru Gobind Singh Ji asked for heads in Anandpur Sahib, he bestowed a new life in the five who offered their heads. He gave them eternal life and made them his beloved Sikhs. Every Sikh, everyday, everywhere when they offer their prayers, immortalize the saga of five beloved by remembering them as an integral part of the prayer. By invoking their names in our prayers we are not only immortalizing their saga alone, but it also serves as an inspiration for us that we can be transformed too. When we offer our head to our Guru, we can join the elite whom we honor daily in our prayers. By dying the death of ego we can live an eternal life. That is the role and message of Guru Ji; that we can transform death to life. The death is not a physical death but the death of ego. Because with our mind we have associated ourselves with our body, but Guru Ji wants to change it to association with the Immortal God.
Even if the sickness and hospitalization becomes a reality with the old age still the end does not have to be in defiance fighting for life. Again I would like to quote from Dr. Sherwin Nuland:

“The medical training makes doctors treat old age as an adversary, but it does not have to be treated as that.”

Instead Gurus and Bhagats have shown that death should not be a cause of mourning but of celebration. Here are few quotes that reflect this view point.

“sPl sPl BeI sPl jwqRw ]”
Safal safal bhaee safal jaatraa” (SGGS: 687)

Meaning:

My life journey has become fruitful, fruitful, and fruitful.

By saying it thrice Guru Arjan Dev Ji has underscored its significance and relevance. Now let us see what Namdev Ji says:
“sPl jnmu mo kau gur kInw ]”
Safal janam mo kau gur keena” (SGGS: 857)

Meaning:
The Guru has made my life fruitful (successful).

The death of a close one is a call that reminds us that our turn is coming too. Guru Ji has shown that potential and the reach of human beings. If the death and the knowledge can galvanize us to explore our true potential, soar and then experience the soul, it will change our perspective too. When one is clear that one has accomplished what is there to accomplish, makes one free from the rat race of the world. One has understood and experienced that being is not a body but the soul thus the fear of death also departs. Kabir has expressed that feeling in these words:
“kbIr ijsu mrny qy jgu frY myry min Awnµdu ] mrny hI qy pweIAY pUrnu prmwnµdu ]”
“Kabir jis maranae thae jag ddarai maerae mun anand. Maranae hee thae paaeeai pooran paramaanand.
(SGGS:1365)​
Meaning:
Kabir, the world is afraid of death - that death fills my mind with bliss. It is only by death that perfect, supreme bliss is obtained.

Let us pray to Guru Ji that it may become our experience too. It will not just eliminate the fear of death but it will take us to the new heights where it is anticipated as final end in the physical form and becoming one with God living for ever.

Acceptance of Death: A Basic Precept

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Shabad 39
Wadahans, First Mehl:
ang 582
[Notes: Guru Sahibs state that all that we see is temporal and is an illusion of Maya. Anything that is visible to the eyes shall pass away and all that remains and shall remain is the truth. I am reminded of a very popular quote that is apt to describe the same.

"The unreal has no being and the real has no non-being; and the truth about both has also been seen by men who know the reality?"

The unreal has no existence while the real is never non-existent.

It is only saying what has also been affirmed by other sages who realized the truth of the Soul's identity with the all-pervading Supreme Spirit and one is advised to be like Him.

I think Jap ji sahibs single line answers this.

Kiv Sachiara hoiaye ,Kiv Kureh Totey Paal.

The second stanza of the verse also emphasizes that we should always be in consciousness of the 'sabad'. It is the only way to find peace.it is the only answer to be clean. Sabad washes all the sins and cleanses the mind.The same stanza signifies the importance of guru. Blessed are sikhs as they have the Guru for all the times.

We are all guided by the pre-ordained destiny as per our karmas.The next stanza signifies the karmic reactions.There is an advice and instructions contained in the same that why should we feel sorry for anything that happens and is not per our Will and wishes. But it is His will.
Why not accept it gracefully.!

All that He does is good. But we fail to understand as our senses and intellect cannot sense the bigger purpose of His Hukum.

Hukum Rajai Chalna, Nanak Likhaya naal.

We should not be emotionally attached to anyone. it does not mean that we should neglect all those who are kiths and kins. But we should remain detached from the world of Human affairs.Let us also remember that the bodies of all beings are destructible, the Soul is imperishable. Soul never dies as it has an element of divinity as is confirmed by the eternal Bani . The shabad has summed up many concepts of sikhism like Karma, pre- ordained destiny, Guru, life and death, attachment and detachment and the futility of crying at the death as it is HIs Hukum. Let us do for which we have come here.

Let us look at the sabad :

O Baba, whoever has come, will rise up and leave; this world is merely a false show.
One's true home is obtained by serving the True Lord; real Truth is obtained by being truthful.
By falsehood and greed, no place of rest is found, and no place in the world hereafter is obtained.No one invites him to come in and sit down. He is like a crow in a deserted home.
Trapped by birth and death, he is separated from the Lord for such a long time; the whole world is wasting away.Greed, worldly entanglements and Maya deceive the world. Death hovers over its head, and causes it to weep. ||1||

Come, O Baba, and Siblings of Destiny - let's join together; take me in your arms, and bless me with your prayers.
O Baba, union with the True Lord cannot be broken; bless me with your prayers for union with my Beloved.
Bless me with your prayers, that I may perform devotional worship service to my Lord; for those already united with Him, what is there to unite?Some have wandered away from the Name of the Lord, and lost the Path. The Word of the Guru's Shabad is the true game.Do not go on Death's path; remain merged in the Word of the Shabad, the true form throughout the ages.Through good fortune, we meet such friends and relatives, who meet with the Guru, and escape the noose of Death. ||2||

O Baba, we come into the world naked, into pain and pleasure, according to the record of our account.The call of our pre-ordained destiny cannot be altered; it follows from our past actions.The True Lord sits and writes of ambrosial nectar, and bitter poison; as the Lord attaches us, so are we attached.
The Charmer, Maya, has worked her charms, and the multi-colored thread is around everyone's neck.
Through shallow intellect, the mind becomes shallow, and one eats the fly, along with the sweets.Contrary to custom, he comes into the Dark Age of Kali Yuga naked, and naked he is bound down and sent away again. ||3||

O Baba, weep and mourn if you must; the beloved soul is bound and driven off.The pre-ordained record of destiny cannot be erased; the summons has come from the Lord's Court.The messenger comes, when it pleases the Lord, and the mourners begin to mourn.Sons, brothers, nephews and very dear friends weep and wail.Let him weep, who weeps in the Fear of God, cherishing the virtues of God. No one dies with the dead.O Nanak, throughout the ages, they are known as wise, who weep, remembering the True Lord. ||4||5||

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
God is everywhere but he doesn’t seem to be where we desperately want HIM to be.
Because we, as Soul, are trapped in the clutches of Maya. Mind and the senses control our Consciousness.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Namjap ji,

You have pointed very correctly when you state that the mind corrupts. One can make out 'senses' and their seats in the body. However, about mind, it cannot be sid so. It is stated that mind is also made up of five elements. In that case it should be in our body.

Where exactly is the seat of the Mind.? Kindly enlighten. Also give some quote of bani if the same is readily available. You may answer me whenever you have the time with you.

Regards

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਮਤਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਰਤਨ ਜਵਾਹਰ ਮਾਣਿਕ ਜੇ ਇਕ ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਸਿਖ ਸੁਣੀ ॥
Ma vic raan javāhar māik jė ik gur kī sik suī.
Within the mind are gems, jewels and rubies, if you listen to the Guru's Teachings, even once.
Guru Nanak Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ
ੴ सतिगुर प्रसादि ॥
Ik­oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.

ਦੇਵਾ ਪਾਹਨ ਤਾਰੀਅਲੇ
देवा पाहन तारीअले ॥
Ḏėvā pāhan ṯārī­alė.
God makes even stones float.

ਰਾਮ ਕਹਤ ਜਨ ਕਸ ਤਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
राम कहत जन कस न तरे ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Rām kahaṯ jan kas na ṯarė. ||1|| rahā­o.
So why shouldn't Your humble slave also float across, chanting Your Name, O Lord? ||1||Pause||

ਤਾਰੀਲੇ ਗਨਿਕਾ ਬਿਨੁ ਰੂਪ ਕੁਬਿਜਾ ਬਿਆਧਿ ਅਜਾਮਲੁ ਤਾਰੀਅਲੇ
तारीले गनिका बिनु रूप कुबिजा बिआधि अजामलु तारीअले ॥
Ŧārīlė ganikā bin rūp kubijā bi­āḏẖ ajāmal ṯārī­alė.
You saved the prostitute, and the ugly hunch-back; You helped the hunter and Ajaamal swim across as well.

ਚਰਨ ਬਧਿਕ ਜਨ ਤੇਊ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਭਏ
चरन बधिक जन तेऊ मुकति भए ॥
Cẖaran baḏẖik jan ṯė­ū mukaṯ bẖa­ė.
The hunter who shot Krishna in the foot - even he was liberated.

ਹਉ ਬਲਿ ਬਲਿ ਜਿਨ ਰਾਮ ਕਹੇ ॥੧॥
हउ बलि बलि जिन राम कहे ॥१॥
Ha­o bal bal jin rām kahė. ||1||
I am a sacrifice, a sacrifice to those who chant the Lord's Name. ||1||

ਦਾਸੀ ਸੁਤ ਜਨੁ ਬਿਦਰੁ ਸੁਦਾਮਾ ਉਗ੍ਰਸੈਨ ਕਉ ਰਾਜ ਦੀਏ
दासी सुत जनु बिदरु सुदामा उग्रसैन कउ राज दीए ॥
Ḏāsī suṯ jan biḏar suḏāmā ugarsain ka­o rāj ḏī­ė.
You saved Bidur, the son of the slave-girl, and Sudama; You restored Ugrasain to his throne.

ਜਪ ਹੀਨ ਤਪ ਹੀਨ ਕੁਲ ਹੀਨ ਕ੍ਰਮ ਹੀਨ ਨਾਮੇ ਕੇ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਤੇਊ ਤਰੇ ॥੨॥੧॥
जप हीन तप हीन कुल हीन क्रम हीन नामे के सुआमी तेऊ तरे ॥२॥१॥
Jap hīn ṯap hīn kul hīn karam hīn nāmė kė su­āmī ṯė­ū ṯarė. ||2||1||
Without meditation, without penance, without a good family, without good deeds, Naam Dayv's Lord and Master saved them all. ||2||1||

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Shabad 40

Sorat'h, First Mehl, Third House:
ang 599

[Notes:The shabad deals and discusses the Grace of Lord and the concurrent concepts. it essential for achieving the ultimate goal of life. Likewise the Teachings of the Guru are also an ornament for the devotee. It is through Guru's teachings that one is blessed with naam as the darkness is dispelled by constantly and continuously pondering over the teachings.It is for this reason that Nitnem is recommended in sikhism. One has to develop the love for the lord that leads to the Fear Of God. It is with the fear of God that devotional worship or devotion is developed for the Almighty. It is through this route that we remember Him and attain the bliss. It is by taking His name or keeping Him in consciousness that one can be through the labyrinth of the worldy affairs.Ignorance lurks at the core of the objective, the outward-looking, mind thus one has to be in constant dwelling state of naam and that is the noblest of all the occupation till one is here.

shI slwmiq siB Qok aubwry gur kw sbdu vIcwry ] rhwau ] (625-17, soriT, mÚ 5)

Everything is safe and sound, as we contemplate the Word of the Guru's Shabad. ||Pause||

Sabad 40

When I am pleasing to Him, then I sing His Praises.
Singing His Praises, I receive the fruits of my rewards.
The rewards of singing His Praises are obtained,
when He Himself gives them. ||1||

O my mind, through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, the treasure is obtained;this is why I remain immersed in the True Name. ||Pause||

When I awoke within myself to the Guru's Teachings,
then I renounced my fickle intellect.
When the Light of the Guru's Teachings dawned,
and then all darkness was dispelled. ||2||

When the mind is attached to the Guru's Feet,
then the Path of Death recedes.
Through the Fear of God, one attains the Fearless Lord;
then, one enters the home of celestial bliss. ||3||

Prays Nanak, how rare are those who reflect and understand,
the most sublime action in this world.
The noblest deed is to sing the Lord's Praises,
and so meet the Lord Himself. ||4||1||12||

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
In continuity with the previous post

Sikhism emphasizes Bhakti Marg or the path of devotion. It does, however, recognizes the limited value of Gyan Marg(Path of Knowledge) and Karam Marg(Path of Action). It also lays stress on the need for earning God's Grace in order to reach the spiritual goal. Sikh has the right to action but not to its results as the latter is dependent upon HIS grace. One should persuade himself that fruits of action i.e. achieving salvation as per the teachings of SGGS ji and assume that the result simply does not exist. Sikh should not desire any fruits and neither should he grow disillusioned with action. In any case one would get the results of Karmas in the next births/Incarnations as per the edict contained in the SGGS ji. On a macro level a seeker has a right to action as per the teachings, but not to its fruits. At the same time seeker/aspirant/sikh ought not to lose faith that results in doubts and duality in the performance of the duties. In other words, he should be constantly and devotedly engaged in its performance of praise of lord and devotion durimg the service of the Almighty. It has been stated that worship of the lord /worship of the one God is the only worthwhile action. The human body is meant for worship of God is pointed at more than one places in the SGGS ji. The significance of Naam is illustrated with some Of the quotes of Granth Sahib ji. It may not be in exact relevance but it is always good to remember Him in any manner that is possible.

1.siqguir syivAY nwmu min vsY ivchu BRmu Bau BwgY ]
(590-10, vfhMsu, mÚ 3) [Serving the True Guru, the Naam comes to abide in the mind, and doubts and fears run away.]

2.hir hir nwmu AvKdu muiK pwieAw jn nwnk suiK vsMqI ]4]12]62] (625-2, soriT, mÚ 5) [The Lord, Har, Har, has placed the medicine of the Naam into my mouth; servant Nanak abides in peace. ]

3.jgjIvn nwmu qumwrw ] (625-4, soriT, mÚ 5)[Your Name is the Life of the world.]

4.nwm ibnw nwhI ko bylI ibKu lwdI isir Bwrw ]
(688-14, DnwsrI, mÚ 1)[Without the Naam, the Name of the Lord, the mortal has no friend at all; he carries loads of sin on his head.]

The Gurus believed that this life has a purpose and a goal. It offers an opportunity for self and God realization. Moreover man is responsible for his own actions. He cannot claim immunity from the results of his actions. He must therefore be very vigilant in what he does. Finally, the Sikh Scripture (Sri Guru Granth Sahib) is the perpetual Guru. This is the only religion that has given the Holy Book the status of a religious preceptor. There is no place for a living human Guru (Dehdhari) in Sikh religion.

E & O.E

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM