• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Fauja Singh Finishes Hong Kong Marathon: Retires At 101

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Baba Fauja Singh finishes Hong Kong marathon; retires at 101

By PARMJIT SINGH

http://www.sikhsiyasat.net/2013/02/...h-finishes-hong-kong-marathon-retires-at-101/

Hong Kong (February 24, 2012): As per information Baba Fauja Singh, the world’s oldest marathon runner has run his last race at the age of 101.

Baba Fauja Singh (101)
It is learnt that Baba Fauja Singh finished the Hong Kong marathon’s 6.25-mile race on February 24, 2013 in 1 hour, 32 minutes, 28 seconds.

“Singh, a Sikh, wore a saffron turban and sported a flowing white beard”, ESPN has reported.

“I will remember this day and I will miss it, but I will not stop running for charity,” added Singh, who was mobbed by supporters when he completed his final competitive event.

The centenarian, who was a farmer in his home state of Punjab before settling in England, began running at 89 and has since completed nine 42-kilometre (26 mile) marathons in London, Toronto and New York.

His best time was in Toronto, where he clocked five hours, 40 minutes and four seconds.

The great-great-grandfather, who turns 102 on April 1, has said that while he is quitting competitive events, he will not stop running for personal fitness.

He was inspired to take up marathons after he saw television coverage of one 12 years ago, not long after the death of his wife and a son, at a time when he said he needed a new focus in life.

It is learnt that Baba Fauja Singh became the oldest man to run a full marathon at Toronto in 2011. Although widely regarded as the world’s oldest marathon runner, Guinness World Records has not certified him since Singh cannot prove his birth date.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
First and foremost I am truly offended by the title BABA given to the greatest marathon runner of all times. Fauja Singh is the greatest marathoner, not only because of his fastest times and multiple records for many years as compared to the peers of his age but for his young spirit at the age of 101. Runners do not become Babas because their youth within makes them blossom with time, hence they are never withering flowers.

People who have never run marathons will not understand the proverbial wall that the runners hit at mile 20 of this 26.2 miler where mind over matter is severely tested. Each step becomes the Everest climb, legs filled with painful lactic acid.

Last 6 miles are agony before the ecstasy of the finishing line. Time becomes irrelevant. Finishing the marathon is a victory on its own and it goes with a promise to the self, never to do it again ever; which is broken the next day because the ecstasy is more rewarding than the agony.

Fauja Singh ji: As a former marathon runner, I salute you for all you have done by taking running at a very late age of your life. You finished your first full marathon in London at the young age of 89 in 2000 which is a commendable feat.

You have inspired the whole world. This is what Sikhi is all about.

Hip Hip Hooray!!!

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I can remove the word BABA from the thread title. However, that was in the headline of the article. Apologies for any offense. It was not intentional.

Spnadmin ji,

Guru Fateh.

I know it is not your fault and the title was given by Paramjit Singh, the original authour. It is more a cultural thing. I do not think he meant it in the way I took it. Perhaps, he has never been a runner himself.

If you erase it, then I would have no way out for my venting.:blueturban:

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Spnadmin ji,

Guru Fateh.

I know it is not your fault and the title was given by Paramjit Singh, the original authour. It is more a cultural thing. I do not think he meant it in the way I took it. Perhaps, he has never been a runner himself.

If you erase it, then I would have no way out for my venting.:blueturban:

Regards

Tejwant Singh
Tejwant Singh ji I vent from the bottom why you vent with you hands and typing thereof lol. Here goes stinky one :meditatingsingh:. Oh no just a false alarm!

Indeed Fauja Singh ji is a wonderful icon in Sikhism body at large.

Sat Sri Akal.

PS: I wonder if Mai Harinder Kaur ji created the smiley :meditatingsingh: with double meaning! Levitation/Meditation and farting!

yummy

SPNer
Oct 20, 2012
I think Fauja Singh-ji is absolutely amazing, even using the word "amazing" feels like an understatement. He really does make me feel complete awe and ashamed of myself.

There was an article about it in the BBC that mentioned that the Guiness World Book of Records wouldn't allow him as an entry as the oldest man simply because he didn't have a birth certificate but a passport only! Seemed really ridiculous to me as most countries make much more of a "hu-ha" about passports than birth certificates.

A colleague of mine was lucky enough to be able to interview him and gave him tips on running. Motivated him to start running and lose weight that eventually he did the Virgin marathon. Goes to show, Fauja Singh-ji doesn't need the Guiness World Books of Records afterall, he's an outstanding person who is an inspiration to everyone.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: