Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sign Up Now!

Error 3085: Undefined function 'StrReverse' in expression.

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by Teresa, Jul 28, 2006.

  1. Teresa

    Teresa
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Hi,

    Could someone please help me?

    I created a SQL code in a QUERY that uses the StrReverse function. Inside of
    the Access database that query works perfectly.

    However, when I call the same SQL code from a VB program using a DAO
    recordset, I receive the following error message:

    Error 3085: Undefined function 'StrReverse' in expression.

    I already updated my system with the JET 4.0 Service Pack 8, but this
    problem continues occurring.

    Does someone know why?

    Thanks in advance for your help,
    --
    Teresa
     
  2. Loading...


  3. Douglas J Steele

    Douglas J Steele
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    When you're running queries from outside of Access, you don't have the
    ability to use most VBA functions.

    There's no real work-around for this.

    --
    Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
    http://I.Am/DougSteele
    (no e-mails, please!)


    "Teresa" <Teresa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:104432AF-6135-45D0-9BFF-B6EFB9ED977F@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Could someone please help me?
    >
    > I created a SQL code in a QUERY that uses the StrReverse function. Inside

    of
    > the Access database that query works perfectly.
    >
    > However, when I call the same SQL code from a VB program using a DAO
    > recordset, I receive the following error message:
    >
    > Error 3085: Undefined function 'StrReverse' in expression.
    >
    > I already updated my system with the JET 4.0 Service Pack 8, but this
    > problem continues occurring.
    >
    > Does someone know why?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help,
    > --
    > Teresa
     
  4. Dirk Goldgar

    Dirk Goldgar
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    "Teresa" <Teresa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:104432AF-6135-45D0-9BFF-B6EFB9ED977F@microsoft.com
    > Hi,
    >
    > Could someone please help me?
    >
    > I created a SQL code in a QUERY that uses the StrReverse function.
    > Inside of the Access database that query works perfectly.
    >
    > However, when I call the same SQL code from a VB program using a DAO
    > recordset, I receive the following error message:
    >
    > Error 3085: Undefined function 'StrReverse' in expression.
    >
    > I already updated my system with the JET 4.0 Service Pack 8, but this
    > problem continues occurring.
    >
    > Does someone know why?


    Although most of the built-in VBA functions can be used in queries that
    run outside the Microsoft Access environment, I don't think StrReverse
    is one of them, See Brendan Reynolds' test results here:

    http://brenreyn.blogspot.com/ (Friday, September 17, 2004)

    Maybe you can revise the query in such a way that it only uses the
    supported functions.

    --
    Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
    www.datagnostics.com

    (please reply to the newsgroup)
     
  5. Teresa

    Teresa
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Hi Dirk,

    thanks for your help.

    Could you tell me if those functions should work if I disabled the sandbox
    mode in the registry?
    --
    Teresa


    "Dirk Goldgar" wrote:

    > "Teresa" <Teresa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:104432AF-6135-45D0-9BFF-B6EFB9ED977F@microsoft.com
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Could someone please help me?
    > >
    > > I created a SQL code in a QUERY that uses the StrReverse function.
    > > Inside of the Access database that query works perfectly.
    > >
    > > However, when I call the same SQL code from a VB program using a DAO
    > > recordset, I receive the following error message:
    > >
    > > Error 3085: Undefined function 'StrReverse' in expression.
    > >
    > > I already updated my system with the JET 4.0 Service Pack 8, but this
    > > problem continues occurring.
    > >
    > > Does someone know why?

    >
    > Although most of the built-in VBA functions can be used in queries that
    > run outside the Microsoft Access environment, I don't think StrReverse
    > is one of them, See Brendan Reynolds' test results here:
    >
    > http://brenreyn.blogspot.com/ (Friday, September 17, 2004)
    >
    > Maybe you can revise the query in such a way that it only uses the
    > supported functions.
    >
    > --
    > Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
    > www.datagnostics.com
    >
    > (please reply to the newsgroup)
    >
    >
    >
     
  6. Douglas J Steele

    Douglas J Steele
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    That won't make a difference.

    --
    Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
    http://I.Am/DougSteele
    (no e-mails, please!)


    "Teresa" <Teresa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:44C16C6F-4C0A-4151-922C-E8FA7C8B1593@microsoft.com...
    > Hi Dirk,
    >
    > thanks for your help.
    >
    > Could you tell me if those functions should work if I disabled the sandbox
    > mode in the registry?
    > --
    > Teresa
    >
    >
    > "Dirk Goldgar" wrote:
    >
    > > "Teresa" <Teresa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > news:104432AF-6135-45D0-9BFF-B6EFB9ED977F@microsoft.com
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > Could someone please help me?
    > > >
    > > > I created a SQL code in a QUERY that uses the StrReverse function.
    > > > Inside of the Access database that query works perfectly.
    > > >
    > > > However, when I call the same SQL code from a VB program using a DAO
    > > > recordset, I receive the following error message:
    > > >
    > > > Error 3085: Undefined function 'StrReverse' in expression.
    > > >
    > > > I already updated my system with the JET 4.0 Service Pack 8, but this
    > > > problem continues occurring.
    > > >
    > > > Does someone know why?

    > >
    > > Although most of the built-in VBA functions can be used in queries that
    > > run outside the Microsoft Access environment, I don't think StrReverse
    > > is one of them, See Brendan Reynolds' test results here:
    > >
    > > http://brenreyn.blogspot.com/ (Friday, September 17, 2004)
    > >
    > > Maybe you can revise the query in such a way that it only uses the
    > > supported functions.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
    > > www.datagnostics.com
    > >
    > > (please reply to the newsgroup)
    > >
    > >
    > >
     
  7. Teresa

    Teresa
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Hi Douglas,

    Thanks for your help.

    Yes, you are right. I'll have to change my logic to use only the allowed
    functions. However, I saw in the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294698/ link
    that all of the functions should work if I disable the sandbox mode.

    This didn't work in my PC. I changed the registry so that the sandbox mode
    was set to zero and I continue receiving the same error.

    Thanks,
    --
    Teresa


    "Douglas J Steele" wrote:

    > When you're running queries from outside of Access, you don't have the
    > ability to use most VBA functions.
    >
    > There's no real work-around for this.
    >
    > --
    > Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
    > http://I.Am/DougSteele
    > (no e-mails, please!)
    >
    >
    > "Teresa" <Teresa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:104432AF-6135-45D0-9BFF-B6EFB9ED977F@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Could someone please help me?
    > >
    > > I created a SQL code in a QUERY that uses the StrReverse function. Inside

    > of
    > > the Access database that query works perfectly.
    > >
    > > However, when I call the same SQL code from a VB program using a DAO
    > > recordset, I receive the following error message:
    > >
    > > Error 3085: Undefined function 'StrReverse' in expression.
    > >
    > > I already updated my system with the JET 4.0 Service Pack 8, but this
    > > problem continues occurring.
    > >
    > > Does someone know why?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for your help,
    > > --
    > > Teresa

    >
    >
    >
     
  8. Dirk Goldgar

    Dirk Goldgar
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    "Douglas J Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message
    news:uPebu12pGHA.4368@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl
    > When you're running queries from outside of Access, you don't have the
    > ability to use most VBA functions.


    I think Brendan demonstrated that most of them *will* work (provided
    that VBA is installed on the server). But there are definitely some
    that won't.

    --
    Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
    www.datagnostics.com

    (please reply to the newsgroup)
     
  9. Teresa

    Teresa
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Yes, I realized. :)

    Thanks for your help. I'll change my logic.
    --
    Teresa


    "Douglas J Steele" wrote:

    > That won't make a difference.
    >
    > --
    > Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
    > http://I.Am/DougSteele
    > (no e-mails, please!)
    >
    >
    > "Teresa" <Teresa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:44C16C6F-4C0A-4151-922C-E8FA7C8B1593@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi Dirk,
    > >
    > > thanks for your help.
    > >
    > > Could you tell me if those functions should work if I disabled the sandbox
    > > mode in the registry?
    > > --
    > > Teresa
    > >
    > >
    > > "Dirk Goldgar" wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Teresa" <Teresa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > news:104432AF-6135-45D0-9BFF-B6EFB9ED977F@microsoft.com
    > > > > Hi,
    > > > >
    > > > > Could someone please help me?
    > > > >
    > > > > I created a SQL code in a QUERY that uses the StrReverse function.
    > > > > Inside of the Access database that query works perfectly.
    > > > >
    > > > > However, when I call the same SQL code from a VB program using a DAO
    > > > > recordset, I receive the following error message:
    > > > >
    > > > > Error 3085: Undefined function 'StrReverse' in expression.
    > > > >
    > > > > I already updated my system with the JET 4.0 Service Pack 8, but this
    > > > > problem continues occurring.
    > > > >
    > > > > Does someone know why?
    > > >
    > > > Although most of the built-in VBA functions can be used in queries that
    > > > run outside the Microsoft Access environment, I don't think StrReverse
    > > > is one of them, See Brendan Reynolds' test results here:
    > > >
    > > > http://brenreyn.blogspot.com/ (Friday, September 17, 2004)
    > > >
    > > > Maybe you can revise the query in such a way that it only uses the
    > > > supported functions.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
    > > > www.datagnostics.com
    > > >
    > > > (please reply to the newsgroup)
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >

    >
    >
    >
     
  10. Tony Toews

    Tony Toews
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Teresa <Teresa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I created a SQL code in a QUERY that uses the StrReverse function. Inside of
    >the Access database that query works perfectly.


    Presumably you are using Access to store the data thus this idea won't
    work at all.

    If your data was being stored in SQL Server 2005 you can now use
    VB.Net inside the store procedures. (I have no idea as to the details
    as I've never done that.)

    Tony
    --
    Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
    read the entire thread of messages.
    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
    http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
     
  11. Teresa

    Teresa
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Hi Tony,

    I can't change the database from Access to SQL server due to design issues
    for the system that I support.
    I changed my logic so that the data is changed before it is stored in the
    Access database, so when the program retrieves its data, it is already
    changed like I wanted.

    Thanks for your help,
    --
    Teresa


    "Tony Toews" wrote:

    > Teresa <Teresa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I created a SQL code in a QUERY that uses the StrReverse function. Inside of
    > >the Access database that query works perfectly.

    >
    > Presumably you are using Access to store the data thus this idea won't
    > work at all.
    >
    > If your data was being stored in SQL Server 2005 you can now use
    > VB.Net inside the store procedures. (I have no idea as to the details
    > as I've never done that.)
    >
    > Tony
    > --
    > Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    > Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
    > read the entire thread of messages.
    > Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
    > http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
    >
     
  12. Tony Toews

    Tony Toews
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Teresa <Teresa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I can't change the database from Access to SQL server due to design issues
    >for the system that I support.
    >I changed my logic so that the data is changed before it is stored in the
    >Access database, so when the program retrieves its data, it is already
    >changed like I wanted.


    Good solution so long as there are only a few places that every update
    the data that is used to calculate this field. This is the kind of
    solution that needs to be documented somewhere where it is easily
    found by other developers should you move on.

    Tony
    --
    Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
    read the entire thread of messages.
    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
    http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
     

Share This Page