Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

English SGGS Translations

Discussion in 'New to Sikhism' started by sikh15, Jun 19, 2013.

1. sikh15

sikh15
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

I'm not quite sure if this is where to post this, but the Questions and Answers section didn't seem right since that seems to be more about Sikhi itself rather than what I am asking here. I hope that came out right. Anyway, moderators, please move if need be. And if there is a need, I apologize.

I have decided to purchase an English translation of the SGGS and I have 2 choices on what I can afford. They are as follows:

Translated by Dr. Gopal Singh
    Translated by Gurbachan Singh Talib

So, which one should I get, considering I can only get 1? I know that neither is 100% reliable, but which one is best of the 2?

Thank you all for your input.

Kind Regards,

Justin

P.S. - Since these are just English translations, is it okay to store them on a bookshelf with my other Sikhi books? I can't afford a palki sahib right now. I know this is probably a whole thread on its own. Any links on how to install and care for the Guru in one's home would be greatly welcome.

P.S.S. - Can one install an English SGGS as Guru if one wants too?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    SGGS with English Translation Intellectual Translations by SPNers May 22, 2013
    Sikhism English Translation Sree Guru Granth Sahib Blogs Nov 4, 2015
    English Meanings of Sri Sarabloh Granth ji Other Scriptures Aug 30, 2015
    Movies Ashdoc's movie review---Finding Fanny ( English version ) Theatre, Movies & Cinema Sep 15, 2014
    Events Remembering Chali Mukte, the 40 Liberated Ones (ਪੰਜਾਬੀ English) History of Sikhism Jan 14, 2014

3. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Hi Justin

I can't really help you with which translation would be better. Are they just English or are they Gurmukhi and English?

Your other questions:
    Yes, you can keep them on your bookshelf. You might want to drape a cloth over them to keep dust off the top of the pages. I know my books get dusty when they're out and dust is hard to clean from books.

Negative. Only a Gurmukhi bir of SGGS is considered as Guru, formatted in the standard way as the page numbers must be the same in every copy. I believe the SGPC is the only authority to print the Guru. I may be wrong on that though.

• Like Like x 2
  4. sikh15

sikh15
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Ishna ji,

I'm not sure if they have the Gurmukhi or not. I don't think they do. Thank you for your feedback!

Kind Regards,

Justin

• Like Like x 1
  5. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

I believe the Khalsa Consensus translation has been recieved with positive reviews by the scholars, though I'm not sure if it is available in print.

6. Harry Haller

Harry Haller United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

Re: English Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Translations

Personally, as my Punjabi is not brilliant I use a combination of on line translations, I find the essence is easier to obtain by using several different translations. Also, if your reading is done online, I find there is less temptation to act in a different way just because you have a special room set aside for installing and caring for the Guru. Creator is all around us, not just in one room, you can come across all manner of strangeness regards how to install and care for the Guru, I find it takes you away from simply learning and sharing what you know.

I think some people need that room, where they can be quiet, and alter the air conditioning, and make sure Guruji is comfortable and well fed, it is of absolute importance to them, maybe more important than living the shabad Guru, I hope you understand,

Best wishes on your journey

• Like Like x 5
  7. sikh15

sikh15
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

harry haller ji,

Yes, I do understand what you are saying. I'm one of those types of people that need reminders of my faith in my living space. I honestly can't wait to enshrine the Guru in my home. But that is a bit far off for now. However, I am someone who tries to live my faith and not just leave it at home, so to speak. So I will be doing all that I can to incorporate Sikhi into every aspect of my life. I hope that I understood what you meant by "living the shabad Guru".

Regards,

Justin

• Like Like x 6
  8. Harry Haller

Harry Haller United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

strangely enough, I am the opposite, I consider myself 'off duty' in my living space, unless one of the dogs is with me and needs a cuddle, but I guess thats my own failing :)