Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Ek Omkar?

Discussion in 'Discourses in English' started by Lionchild, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Lionchild

Lionchild
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
    Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Recently, I heard of this expression “Ik Omkar”, I already know the other one “Ik Onkar”, however, what is the difference between this one and “omkar”

Someone said it was the true word, I don’t know.

Can anyone explain?

Thanks

-Bindy Bains
    (Formerly Khalsa Starr)

2. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

Re: Ek "omkar" ????

The word is Oankaar....because this word occurs in Gurbani...but not "omkaar" meaning there is no such word. The Hindu word is OM - not omkaar...Guru Ji "invented" the open OORRa as KAAR...and coined the enw word oankaar and added EK befoe it.

Guru ji saya Oankaar brahma utpat...so lets take Guru Ji's WORD for the cprrect pronounciation of EK Oankaar
    Jarnail singh gyani

3. Sher Singh

Sher Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

WJKK WJKF

yea, it's Onkaar not Omkaar. I heard that too, while I was in india a couple of years ago during my mumma ji's wedding. But, for sure it's onkaar:)

WJKK WJKF

4. harsimiritkaur

harsimiritkaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

There are two ways it is pronounced. Most of the time it is pronounced ek oankaar. But a few times it is spelled out ekankaar as in Mehela Gatha, ang (pg) 1361 see ekankaar naam or dharang. But in Ramkali somewhere it is spelled out ek oankar utpat.

5. Arvind

Arvind
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor Supporter

Kaur ji,

I see some writings as Ik-Ong-Kaar too. Do you know any basis for that. I am used to pronounce this as Ik-oankaar though.

Regards.

6. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

there is a tippi which is "n" sound...no g sound. so logically it is Oan-kaar

jarnail singh gyani

7. Arvind

Arvind
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor Supporter

Thanks Gyani ji for the clarification.

8. Lionchild

Lionchild
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

Thanks for the clarification, so it's "Ek Onkar", without a m.

BTW, what's the meaning? :rofl:

9. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

This is the Unique symbol of the ONE UNIVERSAL CREATOR...GOD.
    The Word begins with OORRA..the FIRST Letter of the Gurmukhi Alphabet....signifying GOD comes FIRST...then the OORRAA is OPEN..and Extended wide without End...signifying GOD has no End..and takes in everything Under Him...and to further EMPHASISE the ONE...Guru Ji added the Numeral EK - ONE before the open oorraa...

Thats as far as my limited understanding goes..others may wish to addtheir own comments..

Jarnail singh gyani

10. Pukandi Baba

Pukandi Baba
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

This is the first i've heard of it!

If it's in india well i'm not really surprised, the brahman are always out to bring Sikhs into the 'hindu fold just another way of them saying 'look it's omkaar'

11. Hukum Kaur

Hukum Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Yogicly speaking, Ommmm
    is the sound the Universe first made whaen it came into being. Omm would most likely be used by a monk on top of a mountain because he is submerged in the never ending Universe. However, Guru Nanak Ji taught us that we need not be renunciates to find God, that the life of house holder can meditate as well. So we have ong, which is the creative aspect of the self. In this society, we create income and children and homes etc...so we are honoring the creative ascpect of the universe. That is the difference between Ong and Omm, as I have come to understand it.
    Sat Naam-Hukum Kaur-

12. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

Beautiful...
    But I am intrigued ...as there is no "g" in the Oankaar.... Guru Ji writes Open Oorra, TIPPI on Airra ( n sound) and then K+kena+r..there is NO "G" akhar or sound. ( This is in the banee Oankar..where the written form of the oankar is explained)Maybe there is a further explanation of where this "g" as in ONG comes from.

Thanks

Jarnail Singh Gyani

13. gursaggu

gursaggu
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Re: Ek "Omkar"?

Guru Fateh,

I am a first generation learner, which means my parents never went to school.
    In my child hood I heard only ek omkar from my parents. But later in my life I was in touch with more educated people who said>> ek onkar
    what difference does it make whether you are a dhanna bhagat or a Kabir, ultimatly the goal is to be one with the divine.
    Believe me there is nothing right or wrong, its only our evaluation.

Waheguru bless you

kind regards

Guru Fateh,

my elders were not educated they would pronounce ek omkar. the more educated pronounce ek onkar. what difference is it whether you are a Dhanna Bhagat or Kabir, ultimate aim is to be one with the divine.
    There is nothing right or wrong, it is only our evaluations

waheguru bless us

kind regards
    gurvinder

#13 gursaggu, Jul 7, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  14. drkhalsa

drkhalsa
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Dear Friend

There is no problem if somebody pronounces it as omkar

But the point is that in guru Granth sahib It was meant to be pronounced as OAnkaar as evaluated by the Sikh Vidwaans

In other words names are of god and does not matter what name you take but when you want to go for detail meaning of word then this pronunciation comes

Jatinder Singh

15. DjKam1

DjKam1
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

My family pronounces it "OM", so I'm not sure but I guess the post above clarifies it, as long as the belief and content is the same in the meaning it's all good.

16. kaur-1

kaur-1
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

Got this from another site.

the "g" is added I guess because its difficult to translate a Gurmukhi sound into english.

Its definately
    "oua(n)kaar" ie Ongkar or Onkar NOT Omkar (unless of course if you are a Hindu)

17. NamHariKaur

NamHariKaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Sat Nam;

Yes, I have read in a book that teaches Gurmukhi that the "g" is sometimes written in the English transliterations, to indicate to the student that there needs to be an end to the nasalized "n" sound - maybe that is called a "glottal stop" I am not sure whether that is the right term though. Such English versions put the "g" on the ends of some of the nasalized "n" letters. I do not recall in what circumstances they do it. Read this quite a while ago. In this particular case, with "Ek On(g) Kar," the "K" of Kar really already forces one to end the "n" sound anyway so no need really for that extra "g" yet I have seen it written there sometimes. But as pointed out by Kaur-1 and Gyan Singh, the "g" is not from the Gurmukhi.

Wahe Guru!
    Nam Hari Kaur

18. Lionchild

Lionchild
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

So many replies! Thanks for the answers, I think it's a little clear than before. Thanks!

19. max314

max314
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I think the meaning of the word matters more than the word itself.

What that word essentially represents in "One All-Binding Universal Force". That is laid down in Sikkhism as the 'Eternal Truth'.

20. kaur?princess?

kaur?princess?
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I was always told it means "GOD is ONE." I guess it really doesn't make a difference as to what people say... perhaps they mean to say the same thing as anyone... it's just like one of those words that when you keep saying it... you kind of tend to change the way you say it... a lot of punjabi terms are the same.. for example.. some people say tohanu.. others say thonu... same meaning.. just changed it i guess to make it shorter.. or for no particular reason other than the fact that that's how they heard it.