• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Opinion Eben Alexander, Harvard Neurosurgeon, Describes Heaven After Near-Death Experience

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Lucky Singh ji,

I found the lecture by Stuart Hameroff. Do you enjoy listening to lectures? If you enjoyed the one by Ian this one should be as enjoyable. It is harder to understand but basically, he says the soul and it's related aspects like ethics, feeling that sense of connectedness, etc are present in the underlying structure of the universe. He quotes Roger Penrose, a famous theoretical physicist, quite a bit, who formulated that the structure of the universe must hold mathematical truths for them to make any sense to us, similarly, spiritual truths must also be found at the structure of the universe.

He argues that matter was once thought to be the building block of our universe. But this materialistic model has been undermined by quantum physics, where matter is a wave function, meaning it's not matter, not solid (which I think was known way before quantum physics, as an atom is 99% empty space). We perceive matter to be solid and "material" due to being human.

So if the universe at it's most fundamental level can store information, then the soul may just have a memory. Ancient Indians talk about this memory in terms of sanskaar and karma, as you know.

Patanjali in his Yog Sutras talks about memory as one the psychic activities (in book 1) that must be controlled. He was an Indian sage who was one of many sages who wrote on the subject of Union, and he writes it purely from a non-theist view. His work is one the best known on meditation. Yoga means union, sutra means thread. I recommend this book.
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/ysp/index.htm

Patanjali's Yog Sutra said:
Here, as before, the mental power is explained in terms of mind-images, which are the material of which the psychic world is built, Therefore the sages teach that the world of our perception, which is indeed a world of mind-images, is but the wraith or shadow of the real and everlasting world. In this sense, memory is but the psychical inversion of the spiritual, ever-present vision. That which is ever before the spiritual eye of the Seer needs not to be remembered.

These sages were having such conversations like ourselves back in 150 BC! Which goes to show that our experience, nature and way of thinking hasn't really changed over the years.

Here are the lectures. I find easier to watch if I doodle. It continues onto Ramachandran's lecture, which is pretty cool as well.

Stuart Hameroff, V.S. Ramachandran 1/8 - YouTube
Stuart Hameroff, V.S. Ramachandran 2/8 - YouTube
Stuart Hameroff, V.S. Ramachandran 3/8 - YouTube

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam _/|\_

That is the second time I visited the Anamcara site! I was researching Abraham, pbuh, and it came up. Then on this thread. I always feel God is trying to catch my attention at times like this.

Blessed be,
Nam Jiwan peacesignkaur

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: