• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Earrings Allowed?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
There is a great danger here!
I believe we are jumping into some type of a precipice during this discussion.

Spirituality and religious beliefs aside, Sikhism fundamentally recognizes the creation and creator as a continuous partner in our journey and at all moments. This is foremost of all.

Have we fully understood what creation and creator influences are? Perhaps spirituality and more inner learning opens more knowledge and greater correctness and completeness in our thinking and living.

The unachievable and misleading goals of slaying the five demons (Kaam, Karodh, Lobh, Moh and Ahankar/Hankaar) as an end in itself perhaps is not what creator and the creation expects of us. There have been posts by Harry Haller ji in other threads and comments by others as to the role of lust (Kam, Moh and combos thereof) in procreation and raising of families and children. I believe the answer to such manner of slaying is actually having the elements in control and in balance. If such were the case issues like makeup, earrings, tatoos, and much more can fall by the wayside with reasonable latitude of everyone being unique and having various levels of so called good and bad in them. Perfection sought may be a goal, perfection achieved is many times disaster on most facets of living.

So I hypothesize that avoiding all ways to look pretty or attractive to the other sex and banking evrything on inner beauty and spirituality, though commendable, has the potential of becoming a much bigger negative influence. Happiness achieved with minimal effort (without obsession) like makeup, jewelary or ornaments is not an evil or bad thing if it leaves much more energies available to do the deeper elements of spirituality and living in consonance.

It is absurd for us to somehow claim that Sikhs don't have hormones, adrenalin and somehow have become devoid of such. This will be a false statement as creator and creation makes us from the same that all others are made of.

Great introspection and moderation of thought is needed.

Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Gurfatehji

My own two pence,

Maybe it has nothing to do with pride and ego, after all our own Gurus were always depicted as being very smartly turned out, they all looked beautiful and made imposing figures, but did not feel the need to show us all how humble they were by dressing in rags.

Maybe its the drawing of a fine line in the sand, be beautiful, look smart, look like a King or a Princess, but if you feel the need to violate your physical form in order to obtain that look, then you are going too far, and you need to pull back a bit, as ego and pride are entering you.

Maybe what it is saying is that if you have to suffer pain in order to look pretty, you may have a problem with being obsessed with looking good

I am reminded of the wife of the granthi where spmadminji goes to Gurdwara, with large gold rings on each finger, a beacon to sikhs everywhere that take pride in unpride and have a huge ego in not having an ego, the woman has obviously made peace with herself and the creator, and also a lesson for all of us that seek the bliss of union with god, that life is also around us, and needs our input and is carrying on while some of us focus only on the union with god.

I note that I have a 'writer' icon under my name now, of course, it is with some curiosity that I noticed this the last time I logged on, and many thanks to whoever put it there, it was completely unexpected, it was not something I was working to, I just wanted to write, I love writing, in the same way,if I love the creator, and if one day the creator honours me by stamping me with his mark, it will be because I was just living, and being in consonance, not because I was looking for it, and thats what makes it all the more special.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM