Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Dude, I am not a Muslim vs. Dude, I am not a terrorist.

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by jaginder, Oct 22, 2015.

1. jaginder

jaginder
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Greetings to all,

My name is Jaginder Singh and I am an independent film maker based in Perth, Western Australia.
    Post 9/11, there have been many hate crimes (retaliatory) attacks on Muslims and persons that are assumed to be Muslims.

I now hate flying as they "randomly" make me jump the hoops to get through security (not that I am saying security if unimportant) but, I know that the inconvenience that I face is nothing compared to what some others may have to endure on a regular basis just because they are Muslims or even look like a Muslim. This thought has always been in my mind but I when I read about the massacre in Wisconsin I felt extremely distraught. I remember feeling the same way during the attacks on 9/11. A sinking feeling of disgust and indescribably hurt. Don't let my name or my words fool you, I am not even remotely religious but I felt I was attacked too. I feel the need to document this controversial issue but I had other projects then. Now a year later, I am about to embark on my latest project, a documentary about mistaken identity and racial profiling.

I do however, have a dilemma on what would be the most apt tittle for my documentary.

This where I need your insight as a community/sangat.

Should I call it *Dude, I am not a Muslim* or *Dude, I am not a terrorist*

What's in the name you may ask? A lot.

If we were to call it the former, one may be accused of alienating Muslims though the intention is to shed light on the fact that you not all colored people are Muslims and not all Muslims are colored people. Focus will fall on the turbaned Sikhs as they have the uncanny resemblance to terrorism's most famous poster boy, Osama bin Laden (at least to a layman). It would be controversial and intriguing hence more bums on the seat hence may possible attract more investors, something every indie film maker struggles with. Of course, there would be a segment about peace loving Muslims as well for it is not my intention to portray Muslim as terrorist.

The latter may be more politically correct and the focus would be that not all Muslims are terrorist and also the subject above which is not all colored people are Muslims. We would still do segments of turbaned Sikhs and attacks on non Muslims and Muslims alike.

I hope I am making sense and that everyone can freely voice the opinion or even disgust (?).

I have created 2 FB pages for this reason, feel free to drop by and check them out too.

https://www.facebook.com/dudeiamnot

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dude-...90950187585172

Jinder
    Perth

2. Loading...