• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Does Sikhism Believe In Reincarnation?

Apr 4, 2007
what is up with these kala afghana guys??? they're trying to turn sikhi into a judeo/christian/islamic thing...

yes, sikhi accepts the concepts of reincarnation and karma. for the writer to say that Guru Sahib wrote about something but didn't mean it is absolutely bizare. how could this guy know what Guru "really meant"? if Gurbani says we come and go in reincarnation until we find God, then that's what happens.
Gurbani says, "ape bij ape hi kahe" - what we sow, we reap. is there any clearer description of karma than that?

i just don't understand what this author is trying to achieve by undermining our core beliefs...

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
It would be sufficient to post first 30 entries of SGGS ji to state that all that Baldev singh has stated is as per his understanding and Sikhs do believe in reincaranation.

******Page 4, Line 14
ਨਾਨਕ ਹੁਕਮੀ ਆਵਹੁ ਜਾਹੁ ॥੨੦॥
नानक हुकमी आवहु जाहु ॥२०॥
Nānak hukmī āvhu jāhu. ||20||
O Nanak, by the Hukam of God's Command, we come and go in reincarnation. ||20||
Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 13, Line 18
ਨਿਜ ਘਰਿ ਮਹਲੁ ਪਾਵਹੁ ਸੁਖ ਸਹਜੇ ਬਹੁਰਿ ਨ ਹੋਇਗੋ ਫੇਰਾ ॥੩॥
निज घरि महलु पावहु सुख सहजे बहुरि न होइगो फेरा ॥३॥
Nij gẖar mahal pāvhu sukẖ sehjė bahur na ho*igo fėrā. ||3||
Within the home of your own inner being, you shall obtain the Mansion of the Lord's Presence with intuitive ease. You shall not be consigned again to the wheel of reincarnation. ||3||
Guru Arjan Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 19, Line 3
ਆਵਣੁ ਜਾਣੁ ਨ ਚੁਕਈ ਮਰਿ ਜਨਮੈ ਹੋਇ ਖੁਆਰੁ ॥੩॥
आवणु जाणु न चुकई मरि जनमै होइ खुआरु ॥३॥
Āvaṇ jāṇ na cẖuk*ī mar janmai ho*ė kẖu*ār. ||3||
Their comings and goings in reincarnation do not end; through death and rebirth, they are wasting away. ||3||
Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 19, Line 12
ਸੋ ਨਰੁ ਜੰਮੈ ਨਾ ਮਰੈ ਨਾ ਆਵੈ ਨਾ ਜਾਇ ॥
सो नरु जमै ना मरै ना आवै ना जाइ ॥
So nar jammai nā marai nā āvai nā jā*ė.
Then, they are not subject to birth and death; they do not come and go in reincarnation.
Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 19, Line 15
ਬਿਨੁ ਸਬਦੈ ਭਰਮਾਈਐ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਡੋਬੇ ਪੂਰੁ ॥੧॥
बिनु सबदै भरमाईऐ दुबिधा डोबे पूरु ॥१॥
Bin sabḏai bẖarmā*ī*ai ḏubiḏẖā dobė pūr. ||1||
Without the Word of the Shabad, people wander lost in reincarnation. Through the love of duality, multitudes have been drowned. ||1||
Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 19, Line 15
ਜਿਨਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਬੂਝਿਆ ਮਰਿ ਜਨਮੈ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
जिनि गुरमुखि नामु न बूझिआ मरि जनमै आवै जाइ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Jin gurmukẖ nām na būjẖi*ā mar janmai āvai jā*ė. ||1|| rahā*o.
Those who do not become Gurmukh do not understand the Naam; they die, and continue coming and going in reincarnation. ||1||Pause||
Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 21, Line 8
ਸਬਦਿ ਨ ਭੀਜੈ ਸਾਕਤਾ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਆਵਨੁ ਜਾਨੁ ॥
सबदि न भीजै साकता दुरमति आवनु जानु ॥
Sabaḏ na bẖījai sākṯā ḏurmaṯ āvan jān.
The evil-minded shaaktas, the faithless cynics, are not attuned to the Shabad; they come and go in reincarnation.
Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 22, Line 14
ਜਿਨਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਚੇਤਿਓ ਸੁ ਅਉਗੁਣਿ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ ॥
जिनि हरि हरि नामु न चेतिओ सु अउगुणि आवै जाइ ॥
Jin har har nām na cẖėṯi*o so a*oguṇ āvai jā*ė.
Those who have not contemplated the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, are unworthy; they come and go in reincarnation.
Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 23, Line 3
ਖੋਟੇ ਖੋਟੁ ਕਮਾਵਣਾ ਆਇ ਗਇਆ ਪਤਿ ਖੋਇ ॥੩॥
खोटे खोटु कमावणा आइ गइआ पति खोइ ॥३॥
Kẖotė kẖot kamāvaṇā ā*ė ga*i*ā paṯ kẖo*ė. ||3||
Practicing falsehood again and again, people come and go in reincarnation, and forfeit their honor. ||3||
Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 25, Line 1
ਲੇਖਾ ਇਕੋ ਆਵਹੁ ਜਾਹੁ ॥੧॥
लेखा इको आवहु जाहु ॥१॥
Lėkẖā iko āvhu jāhu. ||1||
According to the account of our actions, we come and go in reincarnation. ||1||
Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 26, Line 1
ਸਭ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਆਵਣ ਜਾਣੀਆ ॥੩॥
सभ दुनीआ आवण जाणीआ ॥३॥
Sabẖ ḏunī*ā āvaṇ jāṇī*ā. ||3||
All the world continues coming and going in reincarnation. ||3||
Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 27, Line 5
ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ਕੋ ਨਾ ਮਿਲੈ ਫਿਰਿ ਫਿਰਿ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ ॥
दूजै भाइ को ना मिलै फिरि फिरि आवै जाइ ॥
Ḏūjai bẖā*ė ko nā milai fir fir āvai jā*ė.
No one merges with Him through the love of duality; over and over again, they come and go in reincarnation.
Guru Amar Das - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 31, Line 18
ਲਖ ਚਉਰਾਸੀਹ ਫੇਰੁ ਪਇਆ ਕਾਮਣਿ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ॥
लख चउरासीह फेरु पइआ कामणि दूजै भाइ ॥
Lakẖ cẖa*orāsīh fėr pa*i*ā kāmaṇ ḏūjai bẖā*ė.
The soul-bride in love with duality goes around the wheel of reincarnation, through 8.4 million incarnations.
Guru Amar Das - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 33, Line 18
ਹਉਮੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਜਗੁ ਬਿਨਸਦਾ ਮਰਿ ਜੰਮੈ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ ॥
हउमै विचि जगु बिनसदा मरि जमै आवै जाइ ॥
Ha*umai vicẖ jag binasḏā mar jammai āvai jā*ė.
Engrossed in egotism, the world perishes. It dies and is re-born; it continues coming and going in reincarnation.
Guru Amar Das - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 35, Line 19
ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਣਾ ਅੰਧੁਲਾ ਫਿਰਿ ਫਿਰਿ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ ॥
भरमि भुलाणा अंधुला फिरि फिरि आवै जाइ ॥
Bẖaram bẖulāṇā anḏẖulā fir fir āvai jā*ė.
Wandering in doubt, the spiritually blind come and go in reincarnation, over and over again.
Guru Amar Das - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 36, Line 5
ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਾਲਾਹਿ ਤੂ ਫਿਰਿ ਆਵਣ ਜਾਣੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
राम नामु सालाहि तू फिरि आवण जाणु न होइ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Rām nām sālāhi ṯū fir āvaṇ jāṇ na ho*ė. ||1|| rahā*o.
Praise the Lord's Name, and you shall no longer come and go in reincarnation. ||1||Pause||
Guru Amar Das - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 40, Line 8
ਓਇ ਫਿਰਿ ਫਿਰਿ ਜੋਨਿ ਭਵਾਈਅਹਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਵਿਸਟਾ ਕਰਿ ਵਿਕਰਾਲ ॥
ओइ फिरि फिरि जोनि भवाईअहि विचि विसटा करि विकराल ॥
O*ė fir fir jon bẖavā*ī*ah vicẖ vistā kar vikrāl.
They wander in reincarnation over and over again, as the most disgusting maggots in manure.
Guru Ram Das - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 46, Line 7
ਆਵਣ ਜਾਣਾ ਰਹਿ ਗਇਆ ਆਪਿ ਹੋਆ ਮਿਹਰਵਾਨੁ ॥
आवण जाणा रहि गइआ आपि होआ मिहरवानु ॥
Āvaṇ jāṇā reh ga*i*ā āp ho*ā miharvān.
My comings and goings in reincarnation have come to an end; He Himself has bestowed His Mercy.
Guru Arjan Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 47, Line 18
ਹਉਮੈ ਰੋਗੁ ਭ੍ਰਮੁ ਕਟੀਐ ਨਾ ਆਵੈ ਨਾ ਜਾਗੁ ॥੨॥
हउमै रोगु भ्रमु कटीऐ ना आवै ना जागु ॥२॥
Ha*umai rog bẖaram katī*ai nā āvai nā jāg. ||2||
The diseases of ego and doubt are cast out; they shall not come and go in reincarnation. ||2||
Guru Arjan Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 48, Line 17
ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਭੇਟਿਆ ਮਰਣੁ ਨ ਆਵਣੁ ਜਾਉ ॥੧॥
करि किरपा प्रभु भेटिआ मरणु न आवणु जाउ ॥१॥
Kar kirpā parabẖ bẖėti*ā maraṇ na āvaṇ jā*o. ||1||
Granting His Grace, God meets us, and we no longer die, or come or go in reincarnation. ||1||
Guru Arjan Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 50, Line 7
ਕਾਮ ਕ੍ਰੋਧ ਮਦਿ ਬਿਆਪਿਆ ਫਿਰਿ ਫਿਰਿ ਜੋਨੀ ਪਾਇ ॥੨॥
काम क्रोध मदि बिआपिआ फिरि फिरि जोनी पाइ ॥२॥
Kām kroḏẖ maḏ bi*āpi*ā fir fir jonī pā*ė. ||2||
Engrossed in the intoxication of sexual desire and anger, people wander through reincarnation over and over again. ||2||
Guru Arjan Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 50, Line 8
ਜਿਨਿ ਕੀਤਾ ਤਿਸਹਿ ਨ ਜਾਣਈ ਫਿਰਿ ਫਿਰਿ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ ॥੩॥
जिनि कीता तिसहि न जाणई फिरि फिरि आवै जाइ ॥३॥
Jin kīṯā ṯiseh na jāṇ*ī fir fir āvai jā*ė. ||3||
One who does not know the Lord who created him, comes and goes in reincarnation over and over again. ||3||
Guru Arjan Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 52, Line 1
ਭਏ ਕਿਰਪਾਲ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਰਹਿਓ ਆਵਣ ਜਾਣਾ ॥
भए किरपाल ठाकुर रहिओ आवण जाणा ॥
Bẖa*ė kirpāl ṯẖākur rahi*o āvaṇ jāṇā.
Becoming Merciful, my Lord and Master has ended my comings and goings in reincarnation.
Guru Arjan Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 53, Line 6
ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰ ਸਰਣਾਗਤੀ ਮਰੈ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ ॥੪॥੩੦॥੧੦੦॥
नानक गुर सरणागती मरै न आवै जाइ ॥४॥३०॥१००॥
Nānak gur sarṇāgaṯī marai na āvai jā*ė. ||4||30||100||
Nanak seeks the Sanctuary of the Guru, who does not die, or come and go in reincarnation. ||4||30||100||
Guru Arjan Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 57, Line 3
ਨਾਵਹੁ ਭੂਲੀ ਜੇ ਫਿਰਾ ਫਿਰਿ ਫਿਰਿ ਆਵਉ ਜਾਉ ॥੭॥
नावहु भूली जे फिरा फिरि फिरि आवउ जाउ ॥७॥
Nāvhu bẖūlī jė firā fir fir āva*o jā*o. ||7||
If I wander around forgetting God's Name, I shall continue coming and going in reincarnation, over and over again. ||7||
Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 59, Line 15
ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ ਭਵਾਈਐ ਪਇਐ ਕਿਰਤਿ ਕਮਾਇ ॥
आवै जाइ भवाईऐ पइऐ किरति कमाइ ॥
Āvai jā*ė bẖavā*ī*ai pa*i*ai kiraṯ kamā*ė.
Coming and going, people wander through reincarnation; they act according to their past actions.
Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 67, Line 17
ਸਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਸਿਉ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਗੈ ਆਵਣੁ ਜਾਣੁ ਰਹਾਏ ॥੫॥
सची बाणी सिउ चितु लागै आवणु जाणु रहाए ॥५॥
Sacẖī baṇī si*o cẖiṯ lāgai āvaṇ jāṇ rahā*ė. ||5||
They focus their consciousness on the True Bani, and their comings and goings in reincarnation are over. ||5||
Guru Amar Das - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 67, Line 18
ਲਖ ਚਉਰਾਸੀਹ ਫੇਰੁ ਪਇਆ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਬਦੈ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਪਾਏ ॥
लख चउरासीह फेरु पइआ बिनु सबदै मुकति न पाए ॥
Lakẖ cẖa*orāsīh fėr pa*i*ā bin sabḏai mukaṯ na pā*ė.
They wander around the cycle of 8.4 million reincarnations; without the Shabad, they do not attain liberation.
Guru Amar Das - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 68, Line 12
ਜੰਮਣੁ ਮਰਣੁ ਨ ਚੂਕਈ ਫਿਰਿ ਫਿਰਿ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ ॥੫॥
जमणु मरणु न चूकई फिरि फिरि आवै जाइ ॥५॥
Jamaṇ maraṇ na cẖūk*ī fir fir āvai jā*ė. ||5||
Their births and deaths do not cease; over and over again, they come and go in reincarnation. ||5||
Guru Amar Das - view Shabad/Paurhi/SalokPage 69, Line 1
ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਮਿਲਿਐ ਫੇਰੁ ਨ ਪਵੈ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣ ਦੁਖੁ ਜਾਇ ॥
सतिगुरि मिलिऐ फेरु न पवै जनम मरण दुखु जाइ ॥
Saṯgur mili*ai fėr na pavai janam maraṇ ḏukẖ jā*ė.
Meeting with the True Guru, you shall not have to go through the cycle of reincarnation again; the pains of birth and death will be taken away.
Guru Amar Das - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2006
Before I came on the scene to interpret Guru Nanak’s teachings, numerous other scholars who have studied Aad Guru Granth Sahib (AGGS) concluded that Guru Nanak rejected the doctrines of “karma and reincarnation.”
Anyone can read Gurbani who makes an effort to. We don't need these kind of "interpreters." The Gurbani speaks for itself. It is quite CLEAR and beyond question that Guruji taught karma and reincarnation.

jasleen_kaur ji says: "what is up with these kala afghana guys??? they're trying to turn sikhi into a judeo/christian/islamic thing...

yes, sikhi accepts the concepts of reincarnation and karma. for the writer to say that Guru Sahib wrote about something but didn't mean it is absolutely bizare. how could this guy know what Guru "really meant"? if Gurbani says we come and go in reincarnation until we find God, then that's what happens.
Gurbani says, "ape bij ape hi kahe" - what we sow, we reap. is there any clearer description of karma than that?

i just don't understand what this author is trying to achieve by undermining our core beliefs..."
QFT (Quoted for truth)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
what is up with these kala afghana guys??? they're trying to turn sikhi into a judeo/christian/islamic thing...

i just don't understand what this author is trying to achieve by undermining our core beliefs...

Money.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
ਆਥਿ ਹੋਇ ਤਾ ਮੁਗਧੁ ਸਿਆਨਾ ॥
aathh hoe thaa mugadhh siaanaa ||
Even an idiot is thought of as clever, if he is rich.

Ang 931

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
ਆਥਿ ਹੋਇ ਤਾ ਮੁਗਧੁ ਸਿਆਨਾ ॥
aathh hoe thaa mugadhh siaanaa ||
Even an idiot is thought of as clever, if he is rich.

Ang 931

Sikhs are Hindus as per constitution Of India i.e. since 1950. Not Many of them know even. There is no opposition to this as well. Why should GOI do this.?

There is no incentive or motivation for this or any other legitimate reason. Sikhs docility or the indifference to the issue shall let it get it protracted for centuries to come.

I would like to be enlightened.

kilemba

SPNer
Mar 17, 2008
Although the Indian constituion classifies sikhs as Hindu's, we have never been hindu and this has been demonstrated clearly even in the Kenyan constitution which recognises Sikhs as different from Hindus especially in the marriage ceremony, culture, Affiliations. So this is why Sikhs should demand recognition world over.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
GOI bases their facts of Ethnicity (Punjabi Sikhs) on Indian Soil. Completely disregards Sikhs of other country esp (Non-Punjabi Sikhs). This categorization is politically geared to pacify the masses. GOI doesn't want highly-spirited people to lead the country. They want "yes men".

I won't be surprised if the Punjabi Govt (GOI) will intervene in defining Sikhs according to domicile - another divide and rule tactic.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I always understood Sikhism understanding of Reincarnation to be along the lines of "Matter cannot be created of destroyed, but merely changes form"?

I think the Sikh concept is totally divergent from Hindu concepts. The Hindu concept seems to start with the premise that if you are a low caste you are inherently sinful, and you may be able to get liberated in your next life.

Sikhism says forget the caste system, forget race, its your deeds and actions you are judged on here and now. People who dwell in teh 5 thieves are consigned to a hellish existence, i.e. they are Munmukh. Those who are Gurmukh don't have this hellish existence and are at one with God.

Any views?

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Does Sikhism Believe in Reincarnation? Baldev Singh
Only recently have I replied to this excellent question asked by a reader from Canada. Since this question has been raised again, I am going to dig deeper to answer it.
Before I came on the scene to interpret Guru Nanak’s teachings, numerous other scholars who have studied Aad Guru Granth Sahib (AGGS) concluded that Guru Nanak rejected the doctrines of “karma and reincarnation.” Moreover, to understand this better one needs to comprehend what constitute the Varna Ashrama Dharma/caste system. Together the caste along with the karma and reincarnation (or transmigration) constitutes the three external pillars of the caste system arranged on a hierarchical pyramid structure. In other words, both Karma and reincarnation are part of the invented trilogy and they both are designed to justify the caste base factor. Because of the time and space constraints, I will bypass addressing the internal pillars of Hinduism designed to augment and perpetuate the caste system.
Majority of the Sikhs agree that Guru Nanak rejected the caste system. Therefore a question logically arises: If Guru Nanak rejected the caste system then why would he accept its underlying justifications; namely both the karma and reincarnation? Now let us journey backwards: If Reincarnation is accepted then it makes sense to accept also the Karma theory. They both go hand in hand. If you are going to accept both of them then why shy away from accepting the caste. After all the caste is sustainable only because of karma and reincarnation factors, otherwise the caste pillar crumbles. This paradox brings us to the forefront to reassess what Sikh Gurus said and taught.
We agree that the only authentic source of Nanakian philosophy (Gurmat or Sikhi) is the sacred hymns (bani) of AGGS. More likely is the case that what you read or hear about the idea of reincarnation is the interpretation of Nanakian philosophy put out by the British colonists, Christian missionaries, other Westerners and Bipran- the opponents of Nanakian philosophy--Udasis and Nirmalas, and other proponents of the caste ideology. I recommend you to read two books: The Sikh Revolution by Jagjit Singh and Sikhism: A Comparative Study of its Theology and Mysticism by Daljeet Singh.
About two years ago, Colonel G.B. Singh initiated the debate on Biblical God, Soul, and Heaven with Reverend Zekveld on the SikhSpectrum.com. I have added my commentary to this debate and finally I combined my pieces into a comprehensive article: “A Comparison of Two Credos: Christian and Sikh.” I wrote this article on the basis of the bani (sacred hymns) of AGGS. Via quoting various verses I have demonstrated that AGGS rejects incarnation of God, transmigration, Hindu view of karma, Biblical God, soul, heaven and miracles. This article is archived on the SikhSpectrum, May 2006. I have also written a detailed article “W. H. McLeod’s Interpretation of Guru Nanak’s Bani, archived on SikhSpectrum, February 2006.
Moreover, AGGS rejects earlier religious traditions and all the essentials of Hinduism. Check these references: Sangat Singh, The Sikhs in History, New Delhi: Uncommon Books, fourth edition, 2001, p. 19; J. S. Grewal, The Sikhs of the Punjab, New Delhi: Cambridge University Press, 1994, p. 31; Jagjit Singh, The Sikh Revolution: A perspective View, New Delhi: Bahri Publications, 4th reprint, 1998, pp. 104-105.
Nanakian philosophy is based on logic, reason, skepticism, awareness, reality, and other factors often associated with critical thinking. It is not based on faith; Guru Nanak urges us to use critical (discerning) intellect in every walk of life.
Now you would ask me why my interpretation “reads” different from that posted on the Sikhnet? The answer to this question lies in the environment and the time, about five centuries back when Guru Nanak launched his movement. At that time Hindu texts were in Sanskrit language, which the Brahmins being the only priestly caste could read, write and speak. The Sudra caste and the Antyajas (untouchables) who constituted the vast majority of the population were forbidden from learning Sanskrit. Islamic texts were in Arabic, though Persian Sufis were preaching their version of Islam in Persian and few Muslim Sufis were using local Indian languages.
Guru Nanak wanted to preach and teach his message in the language of the masses. Therefore, he rejected Sanskrit in favor of Punjabi, which at that time was the language of the peasants, artisans, untouchables and traders. Moreover, there was no specific script for Punjabi language. Guru Nanak and Guru Angad constructed the Gurmukhi script from the crude scripts that were in vogue at that time. Before Guru Nanak there was no literature in Punjabi except the couplets of Baba Seikh Farid. So Guru Nanak is the father of Punjabi literature.
The Guru borrowed the vocabularies of other languages and terminologies of other religions to express his thoughts. In other words, he radically changed the meanings of Hindu or Muslim religious terminologies in the adoption process to express his (Nanakian) philosophy. There are words from more than 25 languages in AGGS. In the process of building his philosophy, Guru Nanak also coined his own words and new terminologies. Therefore, when we read the Gurbani, we are conscious of the facts that the Guru is fully aware in his expressions of both the Hindu and Muslim worldviews.
Most often we encounter his references to the ideas of reincarnation in the AGGS. Just because the Guru is expressing this idea, it doesn’t automatically mean he approves of it. At the least it means that the Guru is conscious of such Hindu beliefs and certainly not giving his accent to the belief as part of his own (Nanakian) philosophy. We, Sikhs, must be extremely careful of this and approach the topic with caution, careful analysis, and proper discussion.
Guru Nanak discussed and imparted credence to the subject of evolution of life about five hundred years ago, roughly 350 years before Charles Darwin. Moreover, the Entity (Creator) according to Guru Nanak is Itself evolving as in the very act of creation of the cosmos when the Transcendent became Immanent-the Invisible became Visible-the Unmanifest became Manifest.
Let us do a small experiment; get your pencil and a piece of paper in hand. In the 21st century, we have come a long way in understanding the subject of evolution. Now take the expressed central basic proposition of the theory of evolution and translate that into our present-day Punjabi language in general and in particular to the Punjabi language of the 15th century, something akin to the written language of Guru Nanak as we encounter in Gurbani.
You will be amazed to find that what you wrote sounds more like the language of reincarnation. And if your mind is already conditioned towards reincarnation, you will read this experimented material as justifying reincarnation. I am afraid that is what has exactly happened to the generations of Sikhs. To make the matter worse, our Sikh scholars too continued to express the same mode of routine ritual thinking. It only highlights the fact that we have failed to develop the Punjabi language in tune with the scientific progresses of the last century.
In our existing Punjabi vocabulary and its former usage there is no expressed distinctions between reincarnation and the theory of evolution; they both lie on each other. It is only in the last few decades some of us have smelled the burning rat and decided to reassess what the Gurus espoused; thanks in part to the Western sciences imparting us the gift of critical knowledge of evolutionary biology. Given this, the new knowledge, it is incredibly refreshing to read Gurbani.
In the quote taken from Sikhnet, "Be kind to me, O Purifier of sinners; I am so tired of wandering through reincarnation. Prays Nanak, I am the slave of the Lord; God is the Support of my soul, and my breath of life,” we should recognize the pitfalls of English translations of “wandering through reincarnations.” This is a literal and Brahmanical rendering of the hymn. Whereas when we substitute “wandering through reincarnations” with “various evolutionary stages of life,” the translation comes in sync with the Nanakian philosophy. And that is the proper way to interpret and express the bani.
One must remember that according to modern science all complex forms of life originated and evolved from a profoundly simple life. And it took millions of years for complex forms like the modern man to evolve through myriad forms of life to develop-—this fact amazingly is consistent with the Nanakian philosophy.
AGGS makes it clear that reincarnation of God, karma and transmigration, and hell and heaven, caste system and gender inequality, are not real; rather they are man-made concepts, as pointed out by Guru Angad.
It is the teachings of Vedas, which has created the concepts of sin and virtue, hell and heaven, and karma and transmigration. One reaps the reward in the next life for the deeds performed in this life-goes to hell or heaven according to the deeds. The Vedas have also created the fallacy of inequality of caste and gender for the world. AGGS, M 2, p. 1243.
Another relevant issue that needs addressing even though you didn’t ask and that is of soul. Again, here the Nanakian philosophy radically differs from other religions. In Nanakian philosophy, soul is God--the Transcendent One that permeates the entire cosmos and it is called as jyoti (light). Other synonyms used are hans (swan), atma, jio (spirit), Sabad-surat (God-consciousness) and moral principles that guide life (conscience). Guru Nanak rejected the idea that soul is something separate from God and that it leaves the body after death to seek punishment or reward depending upon the deeds of the person whose body it inhabits. Many verses in the AGGS attest to this fact that God is soul. For example:
After death some bodies are burnt, some are buried and some are left to be devoured by animals/birds (dogs). Some are thrown in water while others are thrown in a dry well. There is no evidence/proof where the so-called soul ends after these different methods of disposal of the dead body,” opines Nanak. AGGS, M 1, p. 648.
Do not believe that the benefits of deeds performed in the current life will be rewarded in the next world. AGGS, M 1, pp. 729-730
Within all there is light (jyoti) and it is Your light which is in all. AGGS, M 1, p. 663
The One God sustains all and It is also the Atma within all. In other words Atma is the Transcendent One. Nanak is at the service of one who understands this mystery, as such a person is God-like. AGGS, M 1, p. 1353 God is in soul and soul is in God. AGGS, M 1, p. 1153
“O my mind, the Universal light is within you, recognize your roots-the source of your origin-the Primordial Light-Energy,” so says Nanak. AGGS, M 3, p. 441.
Besides, the Sikh Gurus rejected the notion of past life or the life after death, and made it abundantly clear that the present life is the only chance to realize God. For example: O my mind, my dear friend, this is the time for you to meet the Creator. Moreover, this opportunity will last only as long as the body is healthy and full of vitality. AGGS, M 1, p. 20 Take advantage of your birth as a human, this is your only opportunity to meet God. AGGS, M 5, p. 378 “Don’t look to the past, make efforts to make your future life successful by meeting God, because you won’t be born again,” says Nanak. AGGS, M 5, p. 1096 “You won’t be born again, take some measures to obtain salvation right now. Praising the Merciful One, will take you across the ocean of worldly temptations,” says Nanak. AGGS, M 9, p. 220
In my correspondence with McLeod, I pointed out to him that there are numerous verses in the AGGS making it abundantly clear that our current life is the only chance to become a sachiara (gurmukh, understanding and realizing God). According to the dogmas of “karma and transmigration,” there could be many chances, theoretically unlimited. He refused to debate the matter.
I would be glad to discuss this topic further or any other question you may have about Gurmat/Sikhi.

SikhSpectrum.com Quarterly

I can follow some on the reasoning behing this. If Sikhism rejects the caste system and the caste system is based on Karma, vis a vis reincarnation then Sikhism reject reincarnation.

What the author misses is that Sikhism acknoledges that reincarnation exisits but rejects it as hellish regardless of what level you obtain in the caste system (Brahmin, Kshatriya, Vaishya, Sudra, Untouchable). We start from the same slate, and that is determined by our actions here and now.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
I think the Sikh concept is totally divergent from Hindu concepts. The Hindu concept seems to start with the premise that if you are a low caste you are inherently sinful, and you may be able to get liberated in your next life.

Sikhism says forget the caste system, forget race, its your deeds and actions you are judged on here and now. People who dwell in teh 5 thieves are consigned to a hellish existence, i.e. they are Munmukh. Those who are Gurmukh don't have this hellish existence and are at one with God.

Any views?

I appreciate your bluntness in putting across Einstein's theory. It shall be so.

Regarding second point about Hindu Caste system; it is suggested that we should come out of our own shackles that Hindu beliefs and hindu religion are same. Many a times religion is not the fountain source of all the beliefs and this is one of them. Hindus beliefs have undergone a change[ if not drastic]. Hindus do not read Vedas and I do not know if these are published by any publisher. I have never seen any advertisement from publishers. The Vedic concept of Hinduism is not at all and should not be in vogue.

The point made is Hindus do not hold any philosophical ground. The philosphy is either Vedantic or non. The caste system is not observed in a manner that is prejudicial. Many temples have sprung up.

I think sikhs are very conscious of themselves and their religious system than any Hindu. To me they are just brothers. You might have remained unanswered to some of points.

AS an afterthought.

I think every faith believes in the excessive indulgence in sensual pleasure is a sin. Sikhs have just named these and have labelled them. Gurmukhs and Manmukhs should be the terms that fit in theist and atheist .

I should be corrected.

These are concepts that have simplified conveying the concepts.

Do you think we really have something new besides bana and something other in our broad conceptual framework at macro level.[like Nitnem, Holy Congregation, Naam jaap ,simran etc.....] ?

If one in million of Gurmukhs is likely to be through in one's life ;is it not almost trying to achieve an Herculian task; and as per probability theory one stand a chance of 1/10 ^6.; I should be out of row. I should be happy in doing my Jap Ji sahib Paath once a day and that I used to do before I visited this site. Rest leave the things to HIM for Guidance.

Word or naam is not something new.
How to get it is new but we do not know much. You can see the recent post by namjap ji and he stopped at the beginning.

I am sincerely sorry that I have to edit my posts quite a lot. I should work up with my writing.

You may post that you like I shall not edit now.

Aug 29, 2009
well here goes....;)....my first ever post! I am attracted to discussions about reincarnation as I have been a believer since age 12. My view on reincarnation is simple, when we return to Earth or where ever(!!!)we return as for us, humans, we remain human although we may alternate genders; animals the same - dogs return as dogs as do cats etc etc. These are just my beliefs! I also believe in Karma.

well folks there it is!!!

I would like to add that I am a white English man nearing 50 who has been drawn to Sikhism. I look forward to my time here!!!

Namaste:):happy:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome zenfunpeaceandjoy ji to SPN:welcome::welcome:Thank you for making your first post. Why not introduce yourself in the Introducing Myself thread where even more people can welcome you here? A gentle hint., and please forgive any offense. You should think about a switch from Namaste to Sat Nam, or Guru Fateh! or or Sat Sri Akaal ! or Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh! as a Sikh - we have lots of greetings. But not Namaste.

Your ideas about reincarnation are very interesting. Why is it that you do not think that species reincarnate as other species?

Aug 29, 2009
Welcome zenfunpeaceandjoy ji to SPN:welcome::welcome:Thank you for making your first post. Why not introduce yourself in the Introducing Myself thread where even more people can welcome you here? A gentle hint., and please forgive any offense. You should think about a switch from Namaste to Sat Nam, or Guru Fateh! or or Sat Sri Akaal ! or Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh! as a Sikh - we have lots of greetings. But not Namaste.

Your ideas about reincarnation are very interesting. Why is it that you do not think that species reincarnate as other species?

Narayanjot Kaur, many thanks for your reply and I will use an alternative greeting! No offence taken!:up:

Sat Nam

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: