• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Does It Matter

vegangoth

SPNer
Jul 12, 2009
In studying this gorgeous religion i was suprised to read that sikh is technically procounced "Sick" but every Sikh I have ever heard pronounces it "seek". Does it matter how it's pronounced?

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Well, it depends on the mentality of the person, who is pronouncing it like that. If the person is coming from hate mongering websites like topix.com or faithfreedom.org, then it is quite :ice: understandable...

So, can we know, from where are you coming from? :welcome:

Gurfateh!

vegangoth

SPNer
Jul 12, 2009
It was an academic book that said what the correct pronounciation was, they werent being hateful just educational:crazy:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
In studying this gorgeous religion i was suprised to read that sikh is technically procounced "Sick" but every Sikh I have ever heard pronounces it "seek". Does it matter how it's pronounced?

Unfortunately there is no equal phonetic sound to KH in English.

The right way to pronounce KH in SiKH is

= KHartoum
= KHalid
= KHan
= KHalil Gibran
So, it is not SiCK nor SEEK but SIKH

vegangoth

SPNer
Jul 12, 2009
Unfortunately there is no equal phonetic sound to KH in English.

The right way to pronounce KH in SiKH is

= KHartoum
= KHalid
= KHan
= KHalil Gibran
So, it is not SiCK nor SEEK but SIKH

That's awesome thanks for that! Do you know of a youtube or equvilant that I could hear the correct pronounciation?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
That's awesome thanks for that! Do you know of a youtube or equvilant that I could hear the correct pronounciation?

Unfortunately, I do not. Sorry. Someone else in this forum may know if there is something on youtube or meet a SiKH on a street and make him/her help you repeat the word 100 times.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
ਮਃ ੪ ॥
ma 4 ||
Fourth Mehl:

ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥
gur sathigur kaa jo sikh akhaaeae s bhalakae outh har naam dhhiaavai ||
One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru the True Guru shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ॥
oudham karae bhalakae parabhaathee eisanaan karae anmrith sar naavai ||
Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ ॥
oupadhaes guroo har har jap jaapai sabh kilavikh paap dhokh lehi jaavai ||
Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

ਫਿਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਹਦਿਆ ਉਠਦਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥
fir charrai dhivas gurabaanee gaavai behadhiaa outhadhiaa har naam dhhiaavai ||
Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਜੋ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਧਿਆਏ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੋ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਵੈ ॥
jo saas giraas dhhiaaeae maeraa har har so gurasikh guroo man bhaavai ||
One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਗੁਰੂ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਸੁਣਾਵੈ ॥
jis no dhaeiaal hovai maeraa suaamee this gurasikh guroo oupadhaes sunaavai ||
That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਧੂੜਿ ਮੰਗੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਕੀ ਜੋ ਆਪਿ ਜਪੈ ਅਵਰਹ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ॥੨॥
jan naanak dhhoorr mangai this gurasikh kee jo aap japai avareh naam japaavai ||2||
Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.
Narayanjot kaur ji what does that mean (in bold)?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Narayanjot kaur ji what does that mean (in bold)?

Bhagat Singh ji

Do you want the long or the short answer :happykaur:?

Here is the short version. The "pool of nectar" in my opinion refers to the shabadguru. In other words, devotion, immersion in meditation, recitation, and contemplation on Gurbani cleanses our consciousness and opens us to the Sat.

Let me know if that is not sufficient.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

In other words," Inner board meeting of the morning to chalk out the breeding and sharing of goodness for that day".

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagat Singh ji

Do you want the long or the short answer :happykaur:?

Here is the short version. The "pool of nectar" in my opinion refers to the shabadguru. In other words, devotion, immersion in meditation, recitation, and contemplation on Gurbani cleanses our consciousness and opens us to the Sat.

Let me know if that is not sufficient.
I guess that makes sense.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: