• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Does God Exist?

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
is there god,which create the world. if yes then who create the god?

Only we think that everything has to be created and destroyed as the world is presented to us.
It is ALL maya.
Maya is the illusion.
I don't expect you to just accept what i'm saying, but after studying the gurbani, this comes as one of the major conclusions!
ALL of us, have to keep reminding ourselves of what the TRUTH really is.

Look at the Mool mantar to start with and study it carefully.
Then embrace it and ''feel'' it.- Hopefully, you may see your question from a different point and then realise something!!!

peacesign
No one can give you a simple response to accept for your question. But after following the sikh teachings, you can come to realise the validity of your question and thought!!

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
In fact, all that exists is God...

"One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:
The actor stages the play,
playing the many characters in different costumes;
but when the play ends, he takes off the costumes,
and then he is one, and only one." (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 736)

Meaning, that there is only the ONE in existence... we are all just the ONE creative consciousness (God), experiencing itself subjectively through many 'characters' (us) but when the play is over (this world ends), all that is left is the ONE. And in reality... all there ever was, was the ONE.

(sorry I don't know how to quote Gurmukhi like I have seen in other posts here)

Basically, quantum physics is showing us that matter arises out of consciousness, not the other way around, because a conscious observer is needed to create the physical world, at least the particles that make it up, since without a conscious observer, they do not exist in local space / time. Therefore consciousness can not be merely an emergent property of matter... There is an intrinsic connection between consciousness and matter...

“Wherever I look, I see the Lord pervading there, in the union of Shiva and Shakti, of consciousness and matter.” (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 21)

String theory says that at the very basic level of the Universe, exists ONE pool of energy, from which all springs forth through creative consciousness. We are ALL part of that ONE.

As for who created God? From the Mool Mantra, we can see that God is 'self existent' and 'beyond birth and death' meaning that God was not created, nor will ever cease to exist, and exists through no outside force (self-existent).

I believe the illusion (Maya) is not so much this world itself (as we are co-creators of it, having the divine within us). I believe the true secret to 'Maya' and our attachment to it, is that we were never separate from Waheguru to begin with... we are always connected, always were connected, and always will be (going by the physics mentioned above being that ONE pure consciousness is the base of this reality) as all that is in existence and all that ever will be in existence is the ONE. The illusion that we are separate is what is hard to let go of. There is no 'US' there is only Waheguru...

---

As I am still learning much about Sikhism, I apologize for any mistakes in the above... just my interpretation.

Last edited:

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
No one knows. Sort of like the question: which came first the chicken or the egg? I am 50-somethin' and I still can't answer that one either. And then there is the one about does a tree that falls in the forest have sound if no one is there to hear it?

When you really start thinking about things, it seems like there is Big Mystery everywhere. IE- this morning I was talking to someone about how an ant with a brain probably smaller than a sesame seed knows how to go to work, carry stuff, build an ant hill. How can such a tiny brain do such complex things? That must be God...I believe so at least.

But God seems to like mysteries or realize humanity loves mysteries. If we could figure it all out, maybe we wouldn't spend as much time longing for union with the Divine.

icecreamkaur

Rory

SPNer
Jul 1, 2012
Ireland
Great response Akasha-ji :sippingcoffeemunda:
Akasha said:
(sorry I don't know how to quote Gurmukhi like I have seen in other posts here)
I think most people do it by copying & pasting the verses from this site ( http://www.srigranth.org/ ) or a similar site.

ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ
ੴ सति नामु करता पुरखु निरभउ निरवैरु अकाल मूरति अजूनी सैभं गुर प्रसादि ॥
Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯ nām karṯā purakẖ nirbẖa▫o nirvair akāl mūraṯ ajūnī saibẖaʼn gur parsāḏ.
One Universal Creator God. The Name Is Truth. Creative Being Personified. No Fear. No Hatred. Image Of The Undying, Beyond Birth, Self-Existent. By Guru's Grace ~

Last edited by a moderator:

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
And then there is the one about does a tree that falls in the forest have sound if no one is there to hear it?

I can answer that one!

In order for sound to occur there has to be 3 things:

1. A Source
2. A Medium
3. A Receiver

Any one of the 3 missing and you do not have sound... only pressure waves! Since in your example, there is no receiver, then there is no sound... your brain converts the pressure waves into what you perceive as audible sound! All that exists without your brain to do that job is vibrations! peacesignkaur

robinKKC

SPNer
Sep 1, 2012
punjab
i know, why i exist.,., im scientist and i can explain it.,. Im here because of hegs busion(big bang).
.,., if god create us, when why he came in india only not in nagaland or africa .,
in africa people used to live in forest, they kill animals fr food, its mean after death they will go in Hell.

robinKKC

SPNer
Sep 1, 2012
punjab
chiken came first.., i can explain it,., but its not topic.
Lts take example,., if i give u gift a box of apple,., u eat them and wow, they r good at teast,.,
and then u asked "from where u got them, i need more apple",. If i say they magicaly appear,.
They cames from themself.m will u trust?., as ur religon said god cames from itself,. No one create to god,., it was there

robinKKC

SPNer
Sep 1, 2012
punjab
., why guru nanak cames between punjabi people,.. In africa, still people live inside of forest.,
they don't know,who is god? They kill animals and eat them for food,.
They have no clothes to wear, no need money., but they r man eater,., after death will they go in Hell?
Not in heaven becuz they never worship to god nd keep killing.,.
If yes, when why? ,. They
never cames to know that is god kind thing

robinKKC

SPNer
Sep 1, 2012
punjab
according to sikhism., if a persona doing wrong things ,then he have to face HELL and if he/she doing rights thing and remind the exist of GOD, he will go in heaven after death__ Is it true? as said in guru granth sahib" jo kur-karm kre ga oh narka da bhogi howe ga"

robinKKC

SPNer
Sep 1, 2012
punjab
why guru nanak in india only(include pak).. not in africa_
people living in africa:- they r man-eater, they used to live in forest,. they don't need money or clothes_ they kill wild animals for food:- what would u like to say for them? will they go in HELL or HEAVEN ? why? will they die nd born again nd again?.... they even don't know how to speak., they think sun is devil and lightning thnder is GOD

itsmaneet

SPNer
Jun 13, 2012
Nagpur, India
Dear Robin Ji

Gurfateh !

You quest was very well answered by Guru Nanak Sahib on his visit to Baghdad with Mardana.
http://www.allaboutsikhs.com/world-gurudwaras/gurudwaras-in-iraq

Guru Nanak in Baghdad when heard by the locals reciting Almighty's name in a different manner than Islam he was presented before the King of Baghdad for punishment as any such act those days was a death sentence (stone to death) in Arab. But seeing & hearing Guru Nanak Sahib even stones get life & such was the condition of tht King. He asked Nanak Sahib to answer his 3 questions & then he would leave Guru Nanak without punishment to which Guru Nanak happily agreed as this was what Guru Nanak wanted to show humanity the right path towards God.

The 3 questions were -
1. When was God Born?
2. Where do he resides?
3. What he do?

Now, Guru Nanak Sahib always had a unique way of answering anything & was practical. He asked King to do what he says so that answers be made in best way to which King agreed.

Guru Nanak Sahib's answers -

When was God Born?
Guru Nanak Sahib asked the King to get a plate filled with Gold Coins (King doubted the Guru but he did as he agreed before to follow instructions of Guru Ji).

Guru Nanak Ji asked King to count the coins & make sure he do not make any mistake. The king starts counting -

His first attempt, he starts counting from 1,2,3 ......8 & Guruji stops him & says you made the counting mistake.

2nd attempt - he starts counting again 1,2,3,4...5 & again Guruji stops him & says you again made a counting mistake. This time the king gets anguish on his face.

3rd attempt - he starts again 1.... and this time Guruji stops the kind on 1 itself & this make the kind fume with anger as he thinks Guruji is playing some prank with him.

Now king asks with anger how can i be wrong this time, u stopped me at 1 only. Guruji replies tht you again made a mistake and missed smthg before 1. The king replies thrs nothg beyond one then Guruji replies you are right there's nothin beyond 1 tht wud exist & since tht time the God is present.

The king is satisfied & moves to another 2 quest. Guruji again satisfies the king with his answers in a pratical manner that the king is so impressed that at tht particular place a Gurudwara pf Guru Nanak Sahib still exists made by the king himself.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I do not understand why some are content to quote old wives tales when we have the book of God's word to quote directly from.

Show me a story that has kept its integrity after being retold say, 5 times....

Although this particular story seems fairly innocent, many show the Gurus in a negative light, one of the classics is the Bhai Bhudda story about onions and babies, which Luckyji recounted in another post, it fails the litmus test, I do not feel it is acceptable to make points with these Sakhis personally, a Shabad quote is , in my view, the definitive.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
i know, why i exist.,., im scientist and i can explain it.,. Im here because of hegs busion(big bang).
.,., if god create us, when why he came in india only not in nagaland or africa .,
in africa people used to live in forest, they kill animals fr food, its mean after death they will go in Hell.

Some confusion here I think

First, I do not recall God coming to India, Guru Nanak came to India, and preached the truth. That truth can be found in Islam, Hinduism, Christianity, and no doubt in Nagaland.

Secondly, What is wrong with killing animals for food??

Thirdly Sikhism does not believe in heaven or hell.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
according to sikhism., if a persona doing wrong things ,then he have to face HELL and if he/she doing rights thing and remind the exist of GOD, he will go in heaven after death__ Is it true? as said in guru granth sahib" jo kur-karm kre ga oh narka da bhogi howe ga"

This is not Sikhism, there is no heaven or hell. May I suggest you read the SGGS, not chant it, or repeat it, just read it, in a quiet room, it will provide the answers you need and seek.

itsmaneet

SPNer
Jun 13, 2012
Nagpur, India
I do not understand why some are content to quote old wives tales when we have the book of God's word to quote directly from.

Show me a story that has kept its integrity after being retold say, 5 times....

Although this particular story seems fairly innocent, many show the Gurus in a negative light, one of the classics is the Bhai Bhudda story about onions and babies, which Luckyji recounted in another post, it fails the litmus test, I do not feel it is acceptable to make points with these Sakhis personally, a Shabad quote is , in my view, the definitive.
Well.... Harry Ji .. appreciate your response !

Most including (myself) are not intelligent or enlightened enough like your good self to understand Gurbani easily so we take help of Sakhis. And for your kind info the Gurudwara do exist in Baghdad made by Dastgir in remembrance of Guru Nanak Sahib Ji ..... is it not a genuine Sakhi for you ?? Sant Singh Ji 'Maskeen use to tell this sakhi & now don't tell me you doubt Maskeen Ji as well ...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: