Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Does Everyone Understand the Prayers at the Gurdwara

Discussion in 'New to Sikhism' started by Harwinder, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Harwinder

Harwinder
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Ok many people go to the gurudawara and i am sure most do understand what they prayers that are being said mean. Those people who really dont understand what the prayers mean what should they do about it? Not go any more? Shuold Gurudawars start teaching more about what jaap ji saib means or reahras saib mean.

Should Gurudawars have classes every sunday teaching the meaning of gurubani and patt?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Does Reading Baani Magically Affect Our Body And Psyche? And Does The Effect Depend On The Bani Read Intellectual Translations by SPNers Apr 30, 2016
    Does God Care What You Wear? Gurmat Vichaar Apr 23, 2016
    Hard Talk Does Amrit Erase All Sins? Hard Talk Apr 1, 2016
    What Believing In God Does To Your Brain Interfaith Dialogues Mar 26, 2016
    Interfaith I Have More Sikhs In My Cabinet Than Modi Does - Trudeau Interfaith Dialogues Mar 12, 2016

3. findingmyway

findingmyway
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

Many Gurdwara's do have classes to improve understanding. People tend to send their kids but adults do not seem to want to participate themselves. That is not the fault of the Gurdwara. Increasing number of Gurdwara's are also displaying the shabads and hukamnama on a big screen so the sangat can follow it. The English translations are not great but they are a starting point and you can always write down the shabad then look it up later.

The responsibility to learn and understand lies with each and every one of us. With the internet there are now many resources that allow us to do this so it is easier than ever to educate ourselves. Once we do that we can help at Gurdwara to share and explore that learning further as the Gurdwara can only host lessons if there is someone to teach japposatnamwaheguru:

• Like Like x 8
  4. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

The BUCK STOPS HERE..at MY FEET is how we should all look at this. Each of us has to take the bull by its horns...we must each make the effort to learn Gurmukhi..speak Punjabi, study Gurbani..teach others, interact with others to learn and un-learn and RELEARN..a continous process for which the Gurdwara is a HUB..a DWAAR...DOORWAY to the GURU.
    By itself a "Door" is pretty useless...WE HAVE TO GO THROUGH IT...for it to be of any use !!..and IF possible..if you are the door-keeper...please try and open it WIDER rather than shut it...so more sangat can get IN !!

• Like Like x 5
  5. lionprinceuk

lionprinceuk
    Expand Collapse
    (previously Lion_Prince_Jatinder)
    SPNer

I don't even think the gyanis reading the bani understand some of the stuff that they are reading. To understand bani, you need to have understanding of the languages used, such was the education of gyanis in Gurus times. Punjabi and hindi is a start, sanskrit is also important.

6. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar
    Historian SPNer Supporter

I think we are going to need English speaking Gurudwara's in teh West, maybe a King Jame the 1st type translation of Bani.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

You could say the Dr Sant Singh Khalsa translation is already the KJV of Gurbani.

8. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar

I like the Pritam Singh Chahil one. Also Hew Mcleod did a good job of translating Bani.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

This is the WORST ONE...if there ever was a "worst" title.
    Hes taking everything at surface level...no understanding of metaphors, depth of language etc...just words at word value..Roti meri kaath ki is wooden bread type of translation...Manmohan singh is way baove him if we disregard the archaic english vocabulary he labours under..

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Yes indeed but no one said the KJV was the most accurate translation either - just happens to be the most widely used one, al la Dr Sant Singh Khalsa.

I was lucky in that Hew's translations were among some of the first I ever laid eyes on. I think they rock the kazbah and went a very, very long way to planting the seed of thirst in this little Sikh.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar

Incidently I don't think theer is anything else I agree with Hew Mcleod on :p

I think Gyani ji has a point, while many understand Gurnbani, their command of English and English literature is basic. Dr Sant Singh maybe guilty of this.

Apparently Dr Gopal Singh and Pritam Singh Chahil have degree attributes in English, which may have helped them. As well as Hew Mcleod.

• Like Like x 1
  12. prakash.s.bagga

prakash.s.bagga
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

ANY one interested in understanding Gurbanee,One should learn grammar of Gurbanee words first.Otherwise ,

Read...Listen...and Sing Gurbanee for the grace of GuRu.

Prakash.s.Bagga

13. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar

What language do you think the Bible was written in originally?

14. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

ishna Ji..such things happen in religion too....you know the SONY BETAMAX sytem of recording videos was much much better than the PANASONIC VCR sytem...BUT SONY lost out because of marketing gimmicks of Panasonic...so the world popularised an INFERIOR Tape system... The KJV Bible gained popularity due to the Misdeeds of the POPE in ROME...and the Sant Singh Khalsa version has gained the same due to the Misdeeds of the SGPC in Amrtisar...

• Like Like x 2
  15. prakash.s.bagga

prakash.s.bagga
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

What language we use in Gurdwaras for prayer.?
    Prakash.s.Bagga

16. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar

What language do you think was used for prayer by the Christians?

17. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

Over HERE in MALAYSIA we have Churches that conduct in Chinese, Tamil, Punjabi, MALAY and many more....one goes to a church where one understands what the heck is being said...and the most visible problem with the Malay version is the Mulsims claim a MONOPOLY on the word ALLAH....which the christians disclaim because its an Arabic word..commonly used by Christians..blah blah blah...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar

Excellent point Gyani ji,

Shabad. Koi Bole Ram Ram {I} {Punjabi Gurbani} - YouTube

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kamala

Kamala
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

No, not everyone understands, from what I have seen most people just go to kill time or "people watch".

• Like Like x 2
  20. Navdeep88

Navdeep88 Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

One could easily use tools such as the Library or the Internet to Learn Just about Anything these days.

• Like Like x 2