• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

SALDEF Do You Have The Disney Look?

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Washington DC; April 3, 2009—The Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund (SALDEF), the oldest Sikh American civil rights and advocacy organization in the United States, requires information about Sikh job applicants, employees, and customers at Disney parks and stores.

• If you ever applied for a job at any of the Disney parks or stores, let us know
  • If you ever were denied a job at any of the Disney parks or stores, let us know.
  • If you ever were told about “the Disney Look” by Disney staff, let us know.
  • * Contact us information below this message.
In June 2008, SALDEF announced the filing of a historic class action religious discrimination lawsuit against Walt Disney Entertainment, Inc. by Mr. Sukhbir Singh Channa—a young and accomplished Sikh American musician. According to the lawsuit filed on his behalf, Mr. Channa was denied employment opportunities at Disney because of his turban and beard and was even told that he did not have “the Disney Look.” SALDEF is supporting the lawsuit and has urged Disney to modernize its dress code to make it more reflective of American society. A trial is likely later this year.

• If you ever visited any of the Disney parks or stores as a customer, let us know.
According to a Disney spokesperson, “the Disney look is a fresh, clean and approachable look[.]” By this logic, if an observant Sikh job applicant does not have “the Disney Look,” it means that Sikhs are unfresh, unclean, and unapproachable. If you are an observant Sikh, it can only mean that you are dirty and that all Disney customers—including you and your family—would feel uncomfortable in the presence of an observant Sikh. Significantly, according to our historical research, African Americans were systematically denied employment opportunities throughout the 20th century because they were also regarded as being “unclean.”

If you are a Disney investor, please write to the company and urge them to modernize their dress code in collaboration with SALDEF to honor the diversity of American society and reduce the threat of costly litigation. In the case of Sikh Americans, it means that observant Sikhs should be able to wear their articles of faith in full view of the public. This lawsuit represents a golden opportunity for Disney to take a leadership position in the promotion of civil rights. It makes no business sense to defend an archaic dress code based on old-fashioned stereotypes.

Contact SALDEF:

Office Address: 1413 K Street, NW
5th Floor
Washington, DC 20005

Office Hours: 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM (EST)

Phone: (202) 393-2700
Fax: (202) 318-4433​

Attachments

• disney.jpg
    disney.jpg
    15.1 KB · Reads: 343

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
You know what I think? I think there are a lot of people who would love to see a 20 something Sikh guy in a neat turban and a beard. I think kids in particular would love it. Especially one with a beaming smile and a chardi kala attitude. Who could not fall in love with that combination?

BazGrewal

SPNer
Sep 17, 2010
You know what I think? I think there are a lot of people who would love to see a 20 something Sikh guy in a neat turban and a beard. I think kids in particular would love it. Especially one with a beaming smile and a chardi kala attitude. Who could not fall in love with that combination?

I definitely agree with you, even besides the appearance it should matter on the person's attitude towards kids in a job for something like Disney.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM