Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Do you find this Sikh joke funny?

Discussion in 'Opinion Polls' started by BhagatSingh, Apr 20, 2010.

?

Do you find this Sikh Joke funny?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  3. Other (must reply)

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. BhagatSingh

BhagatSingh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer sikhiart.com

Sardarji: The Most Popular Man in the World
    Bill and Sardarji walk into a fast food joint one afternoon to get lunch. Bill orders and the cashier gives him his meal. Sardarji goes up to order and the cashier greets him with "Hello Sardarji! How are you? Hey everybody! Sardarji's here!"
    Everybody in the restaurant comes up and says hello to Sardarji. After everyone has greeted him, Bill and Sardarji sit down and begin to eat. "Sardarji, you're pretty popular!" says Bill.
    "I'm the most popular man in the world," says Sardarji.
    "Now Sardarji," says Bill, your pretty popular but you're not the most popular man in the world."
    "Oh yeah," Sardarji replies "I'll bet you a thousand dollars that I'm friends with anybody you can name!"
    "That so?" answers Bill, "How about the President of the United States?" "Let's go!" says Sardarji.
    The two fly to Washington and knock on the front door of the White House. The president answers, "Sardarji! How are you doing? I haven't seen you in ages!" The three go play a round of golf and then leave. "That was luck!" says Bill, "Two thousand says your not friends with the Queen of England!"
    "Let's go!" says Sardarji.
    The two fly to Buckingham Palace and, sure enough, are greeted by the Queen. ''Hello Sardarji my boy! What have you been up to these days?" They enter the palace and have some tea and leave.
    Frustrated, Bill says, "Double or nothing, you don't know the Pope!" "Billy!" says Sardarji, "Let's go!"
    When they get to the Vatican, Sardarji instructs Bill to wait outside and Sardarji will come out on the balcony with his arm around the Pope. After a while, a crowd gathers to hear the Pope speak. And as told by Sardarji, when the Pope came out, Sardarji's arm was wrapped around him. Sardarji looks down from the balcony and see's Bill passed out on the ground. He rushes down and wakes him up.
    "Bill! Bill! Wake up!" Bill opens his eyes and says,"Sardarji. You're the most popular man in the world."
    "I told you that, Bill," says Sardarji, "but you didn't faint when I knew the President! You didn't faint when I knew the Queen!"
    "Well I was shocked that you knew the Pope," says Bill. "But I just couldn't take it when the guy next to me tapped me on the shoulder and said "Who's that up there with Sardarji?"

Vote "other" only if it doens't relate to "funny": e.g. it makes you feel good or it made you cry or you think this is true and it shocks you because that guy didn't recognize the POPE! etc.
    You may still comment if you select "Yes" or "No".

• Like Like x 11
    #1 BhagatSingh, Apr 20, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  2. Loading...

3. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Frankly I don't think it is funny! It would not be funny even if Sardarji were changed to something else. But then I never thought any ethnic jokes were funny. They just don't connect for me.

• Like Like x 5
  4. jdnaz

jdnaz
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

No, i don't think it's funny at all, i believe it's unacceptable to belittle any becon of faith no matter how qutely it may be discised.
    Jdnaz

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

Looks like someone trying to massage the ego...only the "sardarjis" whose EGO needs massaging will find this "funny"...not me (although i do have an ego too ) These are stereotype ethnic jokes better dead than alive.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Admin Singh

Admin Singh
    Expand Collapse
    Admin SPNer

*** No offense intended ***

Frankly, i may not be well known for my sense of humor and have indeed a big EGO too but, personally, i found this joke quite funny :veryhappymunda1: without going into the technicalities.

Did you guys checked-out this interesting campaign going on at facebook where world renowned S. Baldeep Singh Ji has started a campaign: Please Do Not Stop Sikh Jokes...! opposing already going on campaign Stop Sikh Jokes launched by youngsikhleaders.com...

Baldeep Singh Ji goes on to say...

And i echo his views 100%. :geeksingh:

Gurfateh :ice:

• Like Like x 9
  7. Sinister

Sinister
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

hey... common .... it was funny.

mind you...my favourite type of jokes are blonde jokes ... it just tickles my funny bone all the time

So, this blonde girl goes into walmart and sees the stockboy stocking shelves. She asks him what he is stocking and he replies; "it's a thermos". She asks "what does it do?" he replies "it keeps hot things hot and cold things cold". So she takes the thermos to work the next day, and her boss is impressed that she has a new shiny thermos, so he asks "what do you have in it?" the blonde replies; "a cup of coffee and two popsicles"

:rofl!!:

• Like Like x 8
  8. BhagatSingh

BhagatSingh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer sikhiart.com

I don't get it... :unsure:

:D

• Like Like x 2
  9. BhagatSingh

BhagatSingh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer sikhiart.com

It seems like 3 people said No, they don't find it funny. Yet they didn't vote??
    The "other" option were supposed to be things other than funny e.g. it makes you feel good or it made you cry or you think this is true and it shocks you because that guy didn't recognize the POPE! etc. :D

I thought it was funny but then immediately recognized the background to it. Sikh jokes are really famous and that's why Sardarji is more famous than the pope... one could interpret that in a good way or bad way.
    The fact that a Sikh man, Sardarji, is easily recognized amongst a crowd, he's gotta be more popular than any other man. :)

I used to find Sikh jokes funny. Not because they were targetted towards Sikhs or anything but because they carried some wit. Once I read some articles/threads written by some people explaining how Sikh jokes came to be. I felt ashamed and terrible everytime I saw one. Now I don't mind them because overtime things lose their meaning. Even if the history around the jokes isn't so pleasant, its sort of lost its meaning. Like how piercings were once worn by slaves for identification, etc. Now everyone wears them and no one really cares about where they came from.

I agree with Baldeep Singh ji, jokes targeted at any ethnicity should be encouraged if they are positive.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Mai Harinder Kaur

Mai Harinder Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer

The first time I heard this joke, as I recall was in the 1960s, only Bill was a hard-hat, patriotic, pro-War (Vietnan) arch-conservative and Sardarji was an unkempt, dirty, pot-smoking hippie. As I recall, it was funny then, but that was a long time ago, and I've heard this in so many different forms that the only thing of interest is which groups are going to be chosen as the subjects. May I vote other?:veryhappykaur:

This is a post I published in one of my blogs, sometimes - 2, on 23 March 2007:

• Like Like x 1
    #9 Mai Harinder Kaur, Apr 20, 2010
  11. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

I didnt "vote"..because i dont think it that offensive either...tame rather than funny..so no vote either way. I dont know about the other two...

12. Lee

Lee
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Bahgat ji,

Yes that is a funny joke.

Quite reminisciant of the Dan Dare one. Quickly then, the same sort of setup. Dan Dare bets his pal that he can go anywhere in the world and people will know him.

They go to Ireland where Dan shouts up at a random window, and the Irish fella inside leans out of the window and shouts 'Is that you down der?'

• Like Like x 4
  13. Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh United States
    Expand Collapse

I must confess that I love jokes. I joke a lot myself in my own little dry humour. Sikh jokes as long as they are witty are wonderful. A joke is to lighten the mood. But some of them have tried their 12 o clock jokes here to belittle us and were dealt with accordingly because that is no joke.

Allow me to share with you something that happened yesterday. We know an old Mormon lady Sharon who along with her husband Chuck have been our loyal customers for a very long time. She always tries to thump Jesus to all my employees and offer them books. Some years ago, she tried the same trick on me and I asked her what some Bible verses meant and told her to find their meanings and educate me. Firstly, she was taken aback that I was fluent in the Bible but then she never talked about the Bible with me ever again but still remains my loyal customer.

Yesterday, Sharon came and saw a new employee and brought the book named," What does the Bible teach" to him and asked him if he knew who Jesus was and what he taught. This all happened outside, not before my eyes because Sharon, although a bit advance in her age knew the trick not to offer anything like that in front of me.

My other employee came in for the afternoon shift. Cody had also been given the book some time ago by Sharon. Cody asked Mike if Sharon had given him the book. He said yes and said that she also asked him if he knew Jesus.

Mike said, he replied, " Of course I do,because I studied in the Catholic School".

And, here I quipped," Did you also tell her you miss Father Francisco badly though"?

Both Cody and Mike started laughing like crazy. Mike said, " Teji it is a crude joke but I loved it".

So, sometimes it is ok to joke even in a crude manner depending on if people know you and understand that you do not mean any harm.

Sinister, I loved your blonde joke. That's what the thermos is for. I have many to share too.:)

• Like Like x 3
    #12 Tejwant Singh, Apr 20, 2010
  14. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

I do like blonde jokes -- that makes me a hypocrite.

A blonde took a road trip from New York to Miami. When she arrived at her destination her hands were raw and chapped, and she collapsed from exhaustion. The hotel manager was very concerned and asked, How did this happen to you? She replied, every time I stopped to gas up the car, I saw a sign that said "Clean Bathrooms."

• Like Like x 7
    #13 spnadmin, Apr 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2010
  15. Admin Singh

Admin Singh
    Expand Collapse
    Admin SPNer

16. Admin Singh

Admin Singh
    Expand Collapse
    Admin SPNer

• Like Like x 1
  17. Uniqsha

Uniqsha
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Nice I liked that I am still laughing

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sinister

Sinister
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

:ditto:

:comfort_:

ok, last one,

A blonde walks up to a river with no bridge, she sees another blonde on the opposite side, so she calls out "HOW do you get to the other side of the river?" the other blonde answers "you are on the other side of the river!"
    :aHi5:

• Like Like x 6
  19. Mai Harinder Kaur

Mai Harinder Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer

I do not like blonde jokes. I do not like short jokes or ethnic jokes. I do not like jokes about genetic things that people cannot change. Fat jokes are OK, if you really need to make fun of someone. :shockedkudi:

When I was a kid, they were Polish jokes (I told a friend they had elected a Polish pope. As far as I know she is still waiting for the punch line) and some really vicious Black jokes. :angrymunda:

BTW, those who know me will tell you that I do not lack a sense of humour. :veryhappykudi:

20. Sinister

Sinister
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

making fun of fat people is not very nice:down:

afterall, being fat is a disease...ive seen fat people unconsciously chase a yellow school bus full of white kids because they mistaked it for a giant twinky

• Like Like x 3
  21. Mai Harinder Kaur

Mai Harinder Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer

I am so fat that the last time I went to the beach, they mistook me for a beached whale and tried to drag me back out to sea. (PETA was there to help, of course.)

• Like Like x 1