• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Do We As Sikh's Believe That There Is Going To Be A Great War In The Future?

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Dal Ji,

Isn't man Ashraful-makhluk-ar ?

Feb 14, 2006
Personally I'm more worried about man destroying the world then God!
There is a saying attributed to Lord Buddha:

"We are punished by our sins, not for our sins."

The whole point of prophecy is that a Timeless Being knows past, present, future, and the grand design. So if we who are in time, and pretty much clueless to the grand design listen to wisdom, we can make the correct and needed difference, within ourselves and for those around us. If we are heedless and continue in following or supporting an adharmic path, not only is the destruction assured, as we ourselves will be the instrumentality of it, but we will be bewildered and suffer without understanding why.

Guidance is the voice with which authentic prophecy speaks.

Feb 14, 2006
ਉਛਲਿਆ ਕਾਮੁ ਕਾਲ ਮਤਿ ਲਾਗੀ ਤਉ ਆਨਿ ਸਕਤਿ ਗਲਿ ਬਾਂਧਿਆ ॥੨॥
oushhaliaa kaam kaal math laagee tho aan sakath gal baandhhiaa ||2||
You are overflowing with sexual desire, and your intellect is stained with darkness; you are held in the grip of Shakti's power. ||2||

ਤਰੁਣ ਤੇਜੁ ਪਰ ਤ੍ਰਿਅ ਮੁਖੁ ਜੋਹਹਿ ਸਰੁ ਅਪਸਰੁ ਨ ਪਛਾਣਿਆ ॥
tharun thaej par thria mukh johehi sar apasar n pashhaaniaa ||
In the heat of youthful passion, you look with desire upon the faces of other men's wives; you do not distinguish between good and evil.

ਉਨਮਤ ਕਾਮਿ ਮਹਾ ਬਿਖੁ ਭੂਲੈ ਪਾਪੁ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਨ ਪਛਾਨਿਆ ॥
ounamath kaam mehaa bikh bhoolai paap punn n pashhaaniaa ||
Drunk with sexual desire and other great sins, you go astray, and do not distinguish between vice and virtue.

ਸੁਤ ਸੰਪਤਿ ਦੇਖਿ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਗਰਬਿਆ ਰਾਮੁ ਰਿਦੈ ਤੇ ਖੋਇਆ ॥
suth sanpath dhaekh eihu man garabiaa raam ridhai thae khoeiaa ||
Gazing upon your children and your property, your mind is proud and arrogant; you cast out the Lord from your heart.

ਅਵਰ ਮਰਤ ਮਾਇਆ ਮਨੁ ਤੋਲੇ ਤਉ ਭਗ ਮੁਖਿ ਜਨਮੁ ਵਿਗੋਇਆ ॥੩॥
avar marath maaeiaa man tholae tho bhag mukh janam vigoeiaa ||3||
When others die, you measure your own wealth in your mind; you waste your life in the pleasures of the mouth and sexual organs. ||3||
~SGGS Ji p. 93

hehe

i am going to act stupid again

what is a Sin?
Generally paap is those selfish ways in which people cause harm to themselves and others. What may seem a simple thing is actually a gate bringing hell into the world. All wars, injustices, and cruelty enter into the world because of these evil tendancies. Paap is the evil behavior we do, also called "sin." In Gurbani 5 thieves are: 1. kaam (lust) 2. krodh (anger) 3. lob (greed) 4. moh (attachment) 5. ahaankar (ego). You purify them by cultivating the 5 virtues: 1. Sat (truth), 2. Santokh (contentment), 3. Daya (compassion), 4. Nimrata (humility), 5. Pyare (love).

Canuck Singh

SPNer
Jun 13, 2008
Can UK
I believe there is misconceptions around the year of 2012.

Apparently it is the onset of the Age of Aquarius, and this transition relates to an oft commonly mis translated bible quote.

"And I will be with you, even at the end of the world", is the english translation of Jesus' message to his disciples.

The original Latin text says "And I will be with you, even at the end of the age" - meaning the transition between the last age, and the age beginning in 2012... :star:

Surprisingly there is less overall death related to war in this century, and with meditation on the rise, it appears that there is a trend or a generalized Awakening occuring in society,,,

Peace, or rather a global awakening is on its way perhaps? :happy:

Feb 14, 2006
Actually the 2012 belief has nothing to do with Christianity but to do with the Mayan Calender which ends at that date. The 2012 prophecies are more new age concoction since the Mayan culture was almost totally obliterated with Mayan language being deciphered sometime in the recent 1990's. We know very little of actual Mayan history or subsequent Aztec culture, language and religion due to the mass genocide and Spanish enculturation.

Today, it seems Christians have a strong doomsday tradition and show some parallels with other religions and cultures in some things, but not as to specific date. Christianity actually has verses that say no man knows the hour. Many Marian prophecies say grace is holding back catastrophe, and our own behavior will either stop or hasten a negative future. So there isn't a strict timetable, or even guarantee. The future is made from our present deeds. If more nations sway into unrighteousness and injustice, hell will break loose, so they say. I happen to find it a credible and valid Dharmic warning. But that's just my perspective.

Canuck Singh

SPNer
Jun 13, 2008
Can UK
I agree that it is based on Mayan calendar, however, the misconception is created in Christian populations. FOr example a survey in US estimates that 100 million people in the US believe the world is going to come to an end, some time soon at that.

Interestingly, there is section's of the US government working towards peace model's...

ISTPP: Crime Prevention

Hopefully they will come into fruition in the coming century

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Canuck ji

Thanks for the additional information. I will check the link. Also, last night reading up on 2012 and the Mayan calendar -- this was found. There is more than one Mayan calendar, and they are based on the repetition of cycles of numbers. Each calendar thought to be used for specific purposes, such as calculating when a child would be born.

The End of The World calendar may have been designed to reach the end of its last cycle on Dec 21 2012, and then the ancient mayan plan was to start back at zero, and use it all over again.

The calendars are all different because they are based on different number cycles - in other words, the number of days in a cycle. The way they are constructed provides for continuous calendar cycles until the numbers are then ready to begin a new and complete repetition. So it may not be about doomsday and the end of the world, but just an excellent calculator.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Sikhs need to be careful to avoid superstition based on horoscopes or lunar activity:

The following is from Bhai Gurdas's Vaars

ਸਉਣ ਸਗੁਨ ਵੀਚਾਰਣੇ ਨਉ ਗ੍ਰਿਹ ਬਾਰਹ ਰਾਸਿ ਵੀਚਾਰਾ ।
saun sagun veechaaranay nau grih baarah raasi veechaaraa|
The life led in the light of omens, the nine planets, the twelve signs of the zodiac;

ਕਾਮਣ ਟੂਣੇ ਅਉਸੀਆ ਕਣਸੋਈ ਪਾਸਾਰ ਪਸਾਰਾ ।
kaaman toonay auseeaa kanasoee paasaar pasaaraa|
Incantations, magic divination by lines and by the voice is all futile.

ਗਦਹੁ ਕੁਤੇ ਬਿਲੀਆ ਇਲ ਮਲਾਲੀ ਗਿਦੜ ਛਾਰਾ ।
gadahu kutay bileeaa il malaalee gidarh chhaaraa|
Cries of donkeys, dogs, cats, kites, blackbirds and jackals cannot control our lives.

ਨਾਰਿ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਪਾਣੀ ਅਗਨਿ ਛਿਕ ਪਦ ਹਿਡਕੀ ਵਰਤਾਰਾ ।
naari purakhu paanee agani chhik pad hidakee varataaraa|
It is superstitious to draw good or bad omens from meeting a widow, a bare headed man, water, fire, sneezing, breaking wind, hiccups;.

ਥਿਤਿ ਵਾਰ ਭਦ੍ਰਾ ਭਰਮ ਦਿਸਾ ਸੂਲ ਸਹਸਾ ਸੈਸਾਰਾ ।
diti vaar bhadraa bharam disaa sool sahasaa saisaaraa|
Lunar and week days, lucky-unlucky moments and going or not going in a particular direction

Canuck Singh

SPNer
Jun 13, 2008
Can UK
Sikhs need to be careful to avoid superstition based on horoscopes or lunar activity:

This I agree with wholeheartedly, however, we must understand the meaning of ages. There is reference to the Golden Age, the Silver Age, the Dark Ages (Kaljug), and I believe these are reasonably predictable events in any given civilization.

For example, the way in which humanity has evolved in the last 10000 or so years, it is clear that the primitive steps begin with utilize fire, known as fire age, or wood age, and then going into bronze age utilizing tools etc., then comes more significant evolutionary steps such as agricultural revolution, and onto industrial revolution, and then nuclear revolution.

These are known and significant stAGES in human evolution, and it is these that we aught to be concerned with as opposed to the superstitious nature of the aforementioned things.

Sociocultural and economical theory predicts that human race will become more of a Uni-race. Meditation is on the rise, and war in general is on the decline according to statistics. We all live inter-connectedly in a global village, our food comes from multiple nations, our clothes from the likes of India and China. All the worlds vitamin C comes from China and from Europe.

I would say there is a booming momentum towards cultural appreciation, and Sikhs aught to be leader's in the world describing the meditative and peaceful way of living.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
We even do not know history exactly. Nothing is passed on intact, it comes through a lot of slug. Four ages are nothing but imagination of an intellect who could impress the others with limited knowledge. These stories are like fascinating fiction, we know it is a fiction still we enjoy it, some time being over impressed we start imagining it as a reality like poetic truth. Enjoy them and move on; this is the way I feel, you may be on other side, still I move on.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
This I agree with wholeheartedly, however, we must understand the meaning of ages. There is reference to the Golden Age, the Silver Age, the Dark Ages (Kaljug), and I believe these are reasonably predictable events in any given civilization.

For example, the way in which humanity has evolved in the last 10000 or so years, it is clear that the primitive steps begin with utilize fire, known as fire age, or wood age, and then going into bronze age utilizing tools etc., then comes more significant evolutionary steps such as agricultural revolution, and onto industrial revolution, and then nuclear revolution.

These are known and significant stAGES in human evolution, and it is these that we aught to be concerned with as opposed to the superstitious nature of the aforementioned things.

Sociocultural and economical theory predicts that human race will become more of a Uni-race. Meditation is on the rise, and war in general is on the decline according to statistics. We all live inter-connectedly in a global village, our food comes from multiple nations, our clothes from the likes of India and China. All the worlds vitamin C comes from China and from Europe.

I would say there is a booming momentum towards cultural appreciation, and Sikhs aught to be leader's in the world describing the meditative and peaceful way of living.

Great comment Canuck ji. If I could find the nomination button, I would nominate it. :)

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
What a genuine thought. Kudos to Canuck Singh Ji. :star: Since the thread gets nominated, it would be good, Canuck Ji, if you could start up a new thread then you'll definitely find nominations heading your way. I nominated this thread because of your post.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<Meditation is on the rise, and war in general is on the decline according to statistics. >>

War has just changed shape

There are more hungry dying than before, there are more dying from diseases, complete clans are dying in Africa…

Yes it’s a new war. One of drugs, disease and manipulated hunger

It’s not a tyrant killing (Stalin, Hitler), now it’s your smiling peaceful stranger killing you.

<<We all live inter-connectedly in a global village, our food comes from multiple nations, our clothes from the likes of India and China.>>

Yes, they do, butas I posted earlier

There are more homeless than before,

More orphans than as before,

More abandoned families and more hunger deaths than before

More parents forced to sell children

<< All the worlds vitamin C comes from China and from Europe.>>

I think you must be seeing only statistics in USA, there are places which don’t even get food, leave aside vitamin c

Canuck Singh

SPNer
Jun 13, 2008
Can UK
War has just changed shape

There are more hungry dying than before, there are more dying from diseases, complete clans are dying in Africa…

Yes it’s a new war. One of drugs, disease and manipulated hunger

It’s not a tyrant killing (Stalin, Hitler), now it’s your smiling peaceful stranger killing you.

Such a grim viewpoint. I think it is difficult to predict the way things are heading, but it is a over simplification to simply look at the stats I agree. However, ~180 million people died during the last century, I am sure that there is hope.

Yes, they do, butas I posted earlier

There are more homeless than before,

More orphans than as before,

More abandoned families and more hunger deaths than before

More parents forced to sell children
With the booming population I do understand how this can be the case. Additionally, the World Food Program indicates that we currently have a gross food production that can feed 10 billion people. Interesting how the system's of rule affect people. However, I disagree parents are 'forced' to sell children, I think they make that choice.

I think you must be seeing only statistics in USA, there are places which don’t even get food, leave aside vitamin c
I understand very well the food crisis, however, again it is a matter of political systems. The world has more than enough food to provide. But if there is any indication in the last 10 years meditation has risen many fold in North America and it can only benefit on a global scale. Again that is only a prediction based on current trends and statistics, but I hope to believe that such days will come.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: