• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Do Sikhs Fall In Love With Somebody?

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Chardikala said

well , gurbani says
JIN PREM KIYO TIN HI PRABH PAYO

it simply means tht to meet almighty GOD ( with whom we have been seperated frm ages ) we have to fall in love with him so
for a sikh the first and the last love is only and only GOD

it doesnt mean tht we shd hate our relatives and frnds other beings infact we shd love evryone becs god lies in evryone
so we shd love evry being on this earth but we shd not attach ourselves so internally to anyone person so tht we forget our true love....
I read that and thought, "EXACTLY!!!" (Almost. Our separation from God (by whatever name) is only apparent, not real. I cannot be separated from that which is all and in all, including myself.) That is a strong clue, to fall in love with the God (bwn) in the other, not with the mortal body or personality, but with the Truth that is the other. This takes practice in seeing God (bwn) in all. It helps to take a Vaheguru walk now and then.

Easier said than done...
Welcome to SPN, chardikala Ji.

Of course! Is anything worth doing easy? If life were easy, what would be the point? Life is, among other things, an exhilarating war against the great "I-Can't-(So-I-Won't-Try)." It's all attitude. If I approach this life with chardi kala, I will live a chardi kala life. If I approach life with a hang-dog attitude, I will live a hang-dog life. It's simple, yes, and not easy.

With Guru ji's kirpaa (which we all have in abundance, whether we realise it or not), we can all live well. I remember some of my husband's dying words, "Has it all been worth it? Yes!. Hell, yes! We've lived a life most people are afraid to dream is even possible!"

Amrit helps, too.

Chardi kala!

Sep 24, 2004
Let us talk about ourselves as mere human beings. Not every one of us can be a saint. Yes, I do admire the blissful state of love and oneness with the Almighty. But then, that is a higher state of mind which is achieved through persistent efforts of "Naam Jaap" etc. To compare that love with the love of us mortal beings which is a result of mere physical and harmone changes cannot be justified.

Gurprit

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
"Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Your mother and I had it, we had roots that grew towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossom had fallen from our branches we found that we were one tree and not two."
-St. Augustine

Oct 16, 2009
love is more than a feeling when i say i love guru Nanak that doesn't mean i am trying to associate my self to him but it mean i have a strong bond with his teaching.
love never dies it lives on even when our physical bodies die Bhagat singh sandhu loved freedom he gave his life did he ever lived in free India? no he didn't in love there is no gain or loss there is only commitment.
Heer sial and Dhidho ranjha loved each other did they loved each others bodies? their love lives today and is exemplary love never dies is it a sin to love some one no.
love is the essence of life without love there is no life.

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
Many jis
'Falling in Love' is an old expression in my Language; English.
It was probably first coined because, as Mai ji pointed out, when you've fallen in Love - and you then lose that Love - it HURTS; just like falling on your face does.
Love - like Gravity, or Karma - simply is that way; you disrespect it's (there) Power, and you get hurt - BOOM!
While it's truly admirable that you seek to highlight the fact that ones Love for The Great Formless One is the Highest and most Important of all the Loves in one life that one shlould seek to nurture; it's also true that, finding ones Soul Mate - and then falling in Love with that special person - is one of the Great Ways that are available to us mere mortals to learn to experience that higher love; kind of like taking a tutorial to learn more about something, before experiencing that thing itself.
I envy those of you who've found your one true MORTAL Love - I have only that which God has instilled within me; and though many might envy ME for that fact, still, some mornings, when I awaken alone, I wish it were otherwise!
I, however, have a Disability - and for the time being.............
That will, Waheguru ji willing, change soon - I hope!:roll:

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
Namaste

I think we have identified most kinds of "love" or what some of us think is love. When I first commented on this thread I understood it to be a love between humans on an intimate level not platonic or familial. The love I talked about is finite by nature if finally by death. This is "love" given by God as everything else.

This love has nothing to do with our love for God or God's love for us. It should not be confused with our love for God or even to be considered a diminishment of our love for God.

Always peace
Satyaban

Last edited:

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Heer sial and Dhidho ranjha loved each other did they loved each others bodies?
'Falling in Love' is an old expression in my Language; English.
It was probably first coined because, as Mai ji pointed out, when you've fallen in Love - and you then lose that Love - it HURTS; just like falling on your face does.
See lyrics below.YouTube- Heer ni Ranjha jogi ho gaya - Great song by Nusrat Fateh Ali

Lyrics (Roman)

paiyan mundran te kan laey cheer
heerey ni ranjha jogi ho gaya
tere pyar which ho ke dilgeer
heere ni ranjha jogi ho gaya
jogi ban ke rangpur which phirda mauju jat da raaaj dulara
kan pa ke mundran opaiyan mathey tilak lagaya
heere ni ranjha …….
heer e tere khatir ranjhey chaddi kul khydai
chup kar ke tu chad gayee doli
pyar di kadar na payee
heereni ranjha……..
paiyan mundran te…..
tere layee saari duniya nu chhad ke
dilon lobh te hankaar sara chhad ke
teri zulfan da ho gya see
heere ni ranjha…….
paiyan mundran…..
pehe 12 saal si teriyan majhian chaariyan aake
phir o behs wata ke aya kiliyojn kan pardwa ke
ohne paa liya fakiran wala bana
hun tehon wi pachaniya nahin jana
heerey ni ranjah…..
paiyan mundra
tere layee si oh pehkle majhan chaarda
har weley tera naam si chitaarda
hor bhul gayon sabhe saak seer
heerey ni ranjha………
paiya mundra……
ter mapiyan ne keeta see dhroh ni
tainu liya si ranjhe de kolon khoh ni
khaake tere piche taaniyan de teer
heerey ni ranjha ……….
paiyan mundra………
ohnoo taal ke bakheriyan de naal nei
tor dilta teinoo kheriyan de naal ni
pyaar apne di wekh ke akheer
heerey ni ranjha///////
paiyan……
sehndi khapri te mala gal pa ke
teinoo labhey pind kheriyan de jaa ke
phire galiyan ch baj ke fakir
heerey ni ranjah…..
paiyanmndra/……

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
Satyaban ji
You HEARD what I was saying!
namjap ji
Could you interpret that for us English only types - I only have a very slow WiFi connect (I'm 'poor' - boo, hoo), but I assumed the lyrics were in Punjabi or Hindi.
All jis
Love is the Key - the only way out of the MESS that we've made of OUR World; all of us who truly know what Love is (and out of us SPNers that's, I'd guess, more than in most other groups) need to do all we can to bring that home to Momma Earths Children!
Only then, will Gods Love be ours!:thumbup:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Here is what would be a cool thing to do and it would help with learning Punjabi. Everyone takes one line and struggles with it for a couple of days. One day I take on say the first 4 lines. Then Jim you post the next line or two. Or more if you want. The next time Satyaban posts a line. By the time we take a few turns we will have the whole thing translated.

Nam Jap can be the teacher who acts as the "guide on the side" not the "sage on the stage." He can give hints when something is wrong about how to correct it. No direct instruciton. :welcome:

This is how adults should learn a foreign language -- with a high interest problem that they can tackle in an engaged way. Vocabulary should be synthesized with the study of sentences. Not the way you teach little kids. It is too tedious and boring for an adult who as a learner has a specific goal in mind.

Who wants to be part of the project?

Oct 16, 2009
namjap dear brother/sister
as per the guru's saying "mane ki gat kahi na jayi" the state of mind of a believer cannot be explained those who believe in love can never be understood by those who don't believe in it but they will have to answer some questions not to me but to themselves i already have the answer what was it that informed Guru Nanak miles away from home that his sister Bibi Nanki has cooked chapatis for him and Guru Nanak would surely approach his home by the time Bibi Nanki would still be cooking for him what was it if not love of a brother and a sister ?
what was it that forced mahiwal to tear apart the flesh from his thigh cook it for her sohni when he couldn't find any fish in "jhana" river and sohni unaware of the fact would eat it what was it if not love?
what was it if not love for the Guru that Banda Singh ji and Taru singh ji didnt felt the pain they were supposed to have when they were being tortured by the evils what was it that helped them if not love?
i too love my Guru who is not God but i still love him even more than god and anything else is it bad to love someone except god?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sikh_royalist ji

I don't really want to ask this question? But who is this "guru" that you are referring to? Is it Sri Guru Granth Sahib?

Oct 16, 2009
no narayani ji it is not the Granth i love nirankari baba hardev singh ji maharaj
:}{}{}:i must stop kidding now this was part of my humor ;)
of course a Sikhs guru is SGGS no one else:happykaur:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Actually sikh_royalist ji

In the spirit of fun -- I have seen the Baba Hardev ji on You Tube -- and he looks like a pretty happy go lucky sort of guy. Not scary at all. :D Some Babas are pretty scary.

Well I tried to upload his pic but it did not work.

<!--m--> <!--n--><!--m--> <!--n--><!--m--> <!--n--><!--m--> <!--n--><!--m--> <!--m--> <!--n--><!--m--><!--n--><!--m--><!--n--><!--m--><!--n--><!--m-->

Attachments

• images-1.jpg
    images-1.jpg
    3.4 KB · Reads: 331

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: