• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Do Sikhs Fall In Love With Somebody?

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
In the Sikh scriptures, there are two types of love.
Love of Maya and love of the Supreme God.

The Kama Sutra stresses on the love of opposite sex.
The I Ching stresses on the constant changes that occur.
Therefore, the Kama Sutra and the I Ching teach you of the everchanging patterns of love.

But the SGGS teaches us that the love of a spouse is temporal and stresses on the love of the unchanging reality.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Rightaboutnow ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for the response.

You write:

Tejwant Singh i am a convert to islam. 5 years ago.
1.Would you be kind enough to share with us what was your religion before you converted to Islam and what were the reasons of conversion?

2.What did your religion did not offer that Islam does which made you convert to it?

3.What do your parents and siblings practice and what do they think of your conversion?

4.Are you treated differently now by them if they happen to practice a different religion than yours?

5. As you mentioned that you are in love with a Sikh girl. What are the reasons that you did not find a Muslim girl who has more in common with you as far as your beliefs are concerned?

6. Lastly, let me try to get it right. You said that you converted to Islam 5 years ago and you also fell in love with a Sikh girl around the same time. What came first? Were you in love with her in your previous religion or did it only happen after you converted to Islam and what sparked it?

My questions are no way meant to demean you or your religion in anyway. I just want to understand you better so that the interaction is healthy and a learning experience for all who visit and/or participate in this wonderful forum.

Thanks and regards

Tejwant Singh

Nov 14, 2009
london
I AM NOT TRYING TO CONVERT ANYONE, I AM JUST TRYING TO RESEARCH ON OTHERS AND ANSWER ABOUT WHAT I KNOW. THANK YOU

Tejwant singh,
Yeh i would be kind to share my life story about religion and the love life.

FIRST OF ALL: THERE ARE DIFFERENT KIND OF MUSLIM. THERE ARE TERRORIST IN EVERY RELIGION AND CULTURES. THERE ARE GOOD MUSLIM AND BAD MUSLIMS GOOD AND BAD IN EVERY RELIGION. WITH NO OFFENCE PLEASE READ BELOW

BEFORE CONVERTING I WAS A CHRISTIAN. BUT IN MY FAMILY THERE WAS SIKH AND HINDU. LONG DISTANCE FAMILY. I NEVER CARED ABOUT RELIGION I WAS A GANG MEMBER BEEN PRISON AND EVERYTHING. WHILE IN PRISON IN KENT I MET 2 HINDU 1 MUSLIM AND A FEW CHIRSTIAN AND SIKHS.

IN THERE I WAS JUST DOING MY OWN THING.
AND ALL OF US APPROACH EACH OTHER ONE DAY AND STARTED TALKING AND START SHARING OUR THOUGHTS AND WHAT WE KNEW ABOUT RELIGION. I STARTED GETTING INTO IT. AND I HAD A QURAN A BIBLE A GURU GRANTH SAHIB ENGLISH TRANSLATION AND A FEW OTHER BOOKS. I READ ALL OF THEM. AND AS YOU READ THE QURAN YOU CAN SEE THE WORDS INSIDE IT IS NOT WRITTEN BY MEN. AND THE WAY EVERYTHING IS IN ISLAM.

I WORKED ON IT COMPARE DIFFERENT RELIGION. I RESPECT SIKHISM BECAUSE IT BELIEVES IN ONE GOD ASWELL.

BUT THE THING IS IM NOT TRYING TO OFFEND YOU OR SAY ANYTHING WRONG.
WHAT I HAVE LEARNT IS THAT "GURU Nanak WAS A FOUNDER OF SIKHISM" SIKHISM IS A MIXTURE OF HINDU AND MUSLIM. SIKHISM IS MAINLY A WAY OF LIFE A CULTURE MAINLY NOT RELIGION. BECAUSE AS YOU CAN SEE. LOOK AT THE YEAR SIKHISM STARTED AND COMPARE IT WITH OTHER RELIGION.

IF I MARRY A SIKH A HINDU A JEW A CHRISTIAN TODAY
I WOULDNT FORCE THEM TO CONVERT
INSTEAD I WILL TEACH THEM ABOUT ISLAM AND I WILL LEARN ABOUT THEIR RELIGION

Some material has been deleted because it is not relevant to this topic. However a new thread in Interfaith Dialogs has been created so that the questions raised can be answered: Narayanjot Kaur

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/islam/27519-redirected-do-sikhs-fall-love-somebody.html

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
rightaboutnow ji

Looks with all the "caps on" that you are feeling some intense emotion. I will be deleting a portion of your post above because it goes way off track and gets into another realm of discussion altogether.

More accurately I will in a few minutes be moving some of your response to another part of the forum under your name - to Interfaith Dialogs. But have retained the part where you are responding to forum member Tejwant ji.

Let's all try to stay on topic. Me included. Thanks.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Rightaboutnow ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for the response. I have no idea why you have chosen to write in CAPS which in the internet lingo means that you are angry and SCREAMING. I hope I am wrong. There is no need for that. We are all in this forum to interact and learn from each other which is the cornerstone of Sikhi

You write:

AND I HAD A QURAN A BIBLE A GURU GRANTH SAHIB ENGLISH TRANSLATION AND A FEW OTHER BOOKS.

1.Did you read The Quran in English or in another language?

2.Would you please share with us who is the author of the English translation of Guru Granth Sahib and how big was the translated book?

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Hello, i am a muslim and i really respect your religion.
but reading about "sikh falling in love" there are many things i do not understand
First of all the message of GURU Nanak DEV JI was that there is ONLY ONE GOD. Sikh call it waheguru muslim call it allah and christian call it jesus. His message was simple and clear we all trying to get to one god whatever your belief is. And Guru Nanak best friend was a muslim Baba Fareed and there was a hindu aswell. And In the guru granth sahib there is not even one sentance that say marrying someone from another religion is a sin or wrong. So how come in todays world a sikh is not allowed to marry a muslim. there is nothing in the guru granth sahib that says that. many sikh take muslim at enemies. i dont blame them for this because of the history. but guru Nanak is one of the biggest guru and we have to follow him so how come today sikh go agaisnt it when some one want to marry a muslim..

WITH NO ARGUEMENT OR DISCRIMINATION I WOULD LIKE AN ANSWER
WE ARE ALL EQUAL WHATEVER OUR CAST CULTURE RELIGION IS
WE ALL SHARE RED BLOOD
:yes:
thank you
i hope to hear some ones answer or debate soon

Rightaboutnow ji,

I have recived your message an am only too happy to give you my perception.

As has already been said the manadate for Sikhs to marry only Sikhs is contained in the document of the rehat maryarda, a document compiled by learned Sikhs and given credubility by Akaal Takhat. We must remember that Guru ji has told us that where ever 5 Gursikhs are there you will find Guru ji.

So I will admit that this is a hard one for me, and again perhaps not a popular stance amongst my fellow Sikhs, but personly I have met perhaps two Sikhs that I would be happy calling Gursikhs so the question must be how much should I take from this rehat?

I think that any such edict to not marry outside of our own relgioin is man made, that it's job is to ensure the continuation of the Sikh religion and the creation of lots of little Sikhs.

There are two main things that I wish to say about this. The first one being that there really are no Sikh children, nor for that matter are there any Muslim children, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Jain, Neo-Pagan children, or any other faith you care to mention.

Belife in God comes either from indoctrination, or from free choice. Indoctrination is NOT free choice, and so I find it unethical to do such a thing eascpecily to ones own children.

The second thing is that the survial of any relgion is just not important to me, I have my faith and I am well pleased with it and happy to be Sikh.

Before I became Sikh I had already been ,arreid for over 10 years, My wife is atheist, my oldest son is the same and my youngest (almost 14 now) has just declared himself agnostic.

At home we talk(that is my wife and myself) about all kinds of things with the children, I am happy to answer any questions on my faith or any other that my kids ask me. One day perhaps my kids will become Sikh, but that is not in my hands I'll leave that to their own free will and the will of God.
My wife shall always be athist I think. Again this is her choice.

So what is the point of any religoin? Simple to bring the individual closer to God, but only if that individual wants such a thing. I do, my wife does not. I will not gainsay her God given free chioce.

I think that we should all remember this, we are all free, this is garenteed by God, I do not have the right to tell otehrs what to belive or not, nor does any other have the rigth to do the same to me.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Do the couple agree on children and child-rearing, finances, division of labour and the like? Are their values very similar? Especially among Punjabis, do the families get along? There are many considerations besides being in love.

This part is very true, yet it strikes me that all relationships require work to, well, make things work.

My wife and myself do not always agree with each other over many things, how the children should be raised, what our money should be spent on, hah even myself wearing a turban, but we talk about these things and then we talk some more. Compromise is often reached, agreement is more often come by, and these things that we can't agree on, well sometimes I get things my way and sometimes my wife gets things her way.

No relationship just works, right out of the box, we must make them work. No relationship is all up and no downs, we must enjoy the good times and refuse the bad times the power to destroy us.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Love is like a Rubix Cube, there are countless numbers of wrong twists and turns,
but when you get it right, it looks perfect no matter what way you look at it

as0.gif
Brian Cramer quotes

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
I AM NOT TRYING TO CONVERT ANYONE, I AM JUST TRYING TO RESEARCH ON OTHERS AND ANSWER ABOUT WHAT I KNOW. THANK YOU

Tejwant singh,
Yeh i would be kind to share my life story about religion and the love life.

FIRST OF ALL: THERE ARE DIFFERENT KIND OF MUSLIM. THERE ARE TERRORIST IN EVERY RELIGION AND CULTURES. THERE ARE GOOD MUSLIM AND BAD MUSLIMS GOOD AND BAD IN EVERY RELIGION. WITH NO OFFENCE PLEASE READ BELOW

BEFORE CONVERTING I WAS A CHRISTIAN. BUT IN MY FAMILY THERE WAS SIKH AND HINDU. LONG DISTANCE FAMILY. I NEVER CARED ABOUT RELIGION I WAS A GANG MEMBER BEEN PRISON AND EVERYTHING. WHILE IN PRISON IN KENT I MET 2 HINDU 1 MUSLIM AND A FEW CHIRSTIAN AND SIKHS.

IN THERE I WAS JUST DOING MY OWN THING.
AND ALL OF US APPROACH EACH OTHER ONE DAY AND STARTED TALKING AND START SHARING OUR THOUGHTS AND WHAT WE KNEW ABOUT RELIGION. I STARTED GETTING INTO IT. AND I HAD A QURAN A BIBLE A GURU GRANTH SAHIB ENGLISH TRANSLATION AND A FEW OTHER BOOKS. I READ ALL OF THEM. AND AS YOU READ THE QURAN YOU CAN SEE THE WORDS INSIDE IT IS NOT WRITTEN BY MEN. AND THE WAY EVERYTHING IS IN ISLAM.

I WORKED ON IT COMPARE DIFFERENT RELIGION. I RESPECT SIKHISM BECAUSE IT BELIEVES IN ONE GOD ASWELL.

BUT THE THING IS IM NOT TRYING TO OFFEND YOU OR SAY ANYTHING WRONG.
WHAT I HAVE LEARNT IS THAT "GURU Nanak WAS A FOUNDER OF SIKHISM" SIKHISM IS A MIXTURE OF HINDU AND MUSLIM. SIKHISM IS MAINLY A WAY OF LIFE A CULTURE MAINLY NOT RELIGION. BECAUSE AS YOU CAN SEE. LOOK AT THE YEAR SIKHISM STARTED AND COMPARE IT WITH OTHER RELIGION.

IF I MARRY A SIKH A HINDU A JEW A CHRISTIAN TODAY
I WOULDNT FORCE THEM TO CONVERT
INSTEAD I WILL TEACH THEM ABOUT ISLAM AND I WILL LEARN ABOUT THEIR RELIGION

Some material has been deleted because it is not relevant to this topic. However a new thread in Interfaith Dialogs has been created so that the questions raised can be answered: Narayanjot Kaur

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/islam/27519-redirected-do-sikhs-fall-love-somebody.html
ADMIN NOTE: RIGHTABOUTNOW, NEXT TIME YOUR POST CONTAINS ALL CAPS LETTERS, YOU WILL BE BANNED FOR TWO WEEKS. YES, I AM SHOUTING!! :mad: - AMAN SINGH

Dear all, my apologies for an off-topic post. But it was important. Thank you.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਕਬੀਰ ਤੂੰ ਤੂੰ ਕਰਤਾ ਤੂ ਹੂਆ ਮੁਝ ਮਹਿ ਰਹਾ ਹੂੰ
कबीर तूं तूं करता तू हूआ मुझ महि रहा न हूं ॥
Kabīr ṯūʼn ṯūʼn karṯā ṯū hū▫ā mujẖ mėh rahā na hūʼn.
Kabeer, repeating, "You, You", I have become like You. Nothing of me remains in myself.

ਜਬ ਆਪਾ ਪਰ ਕਾ ਮਿਟਿ ਗਇਆ ਜਤ ਦੇਖਉ ਤਤ ਤੂ ॥੨੦੪॥
जब आपा पर का मिटि गइआ जत देखउ तत तू ॥२०४॥
Jab āpā par kā mit ga▫i▫ā jaṯ ḏekẖ▫a▫u ṯaṯ ṯū. ||204||
When the difference between myself and others is removed, then wherever I look, I see only You. ||204||

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
Lee ji made some comments on children which got me to thinking.

I think as Lee that children at birth are of no religion but I also think they should be raised in the religion of their family until they reach a stage where they feel the religion they were born into is right for them or they feel a call from another they can not resist then they will find their path.

My faith says everyone is on a spiritual path to include non-believers. I would not fret about children declaring themselves to be agnostic or atheist because they have too much to experience yet to decide.

More importantly I believe everyone is born with a knowledge a priori of God in a way that can not be expressed but in metaphor because it is barely a whisper. Those who do not make this connection will in the next life.

This I have learned from Hindu saints like Sri Ramakrishna, Paramahansa Yogananda, Swami Vivekenanda and a fellow named Joseph Campbell among others.
Peace
Satyaban

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Lee ji made some comments on children which got me to thinking.

I think as Lee that children at birth are of no religion but I also think they should be raised in the religion of their family until they reach a stage where they feel the religion they were born into is right for them or they feel a call from another they can not resist then they will find their path.

My faith says everyone is on a spiritual path to include non-believers. I would not fret about children declaring themselves to be agnostic or atheist because they have too much to experience yet to decide.

More importantly I believe everyone is born with a knowledge a priori of God in a way that can not be expressed but in metaphor because it is barely a whisper. Those who do not make this connection will in the next life.

This I have learned from Hindu saints like Sri Ramakrishna, Paramahansa Yogananda, Swami Vivekenanda and a fellow named Joseph Campbell among others.
Peace
Satyaban

Satyaban Ji,

Yes I agree almost 100% with you here. Almost because I still think that teaching a child only one religion is tantamount to indoctrination.

My kids get a good education on the worlds religions from their schools. They both attended a Church of England primary(only becuase it is the best school in my catchment area) and now my oldest goes to a Catholic college, because that is the one he choose as being the best that could offer him what he wants. I talk to them offten about Sikhi, and they ask me questions about all sorts of things (yes I do feel lucky that they show such interest in learning).

I try to arm them with all sorts of knowledge so that if the time comes when that want to seek for God they have all of the info they need in which to make up their minds. More than this though, I belive knowledge to be a thing of great power, better even than knowledge is the ablity to use it to make rational desicions. Ahhh I have let my mind run along and my fingers follow, I'll stop now.

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
Lee ji

I was trying to tread lightly regarding your family given its particular circumstances. Of course knowledge helps make most rational decisions. Believing in the unseen spiritual matters are not rational are they?

Peace

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Lee ji

I was trying to tread lightly regarding your family given its particular circumstances. Of course knowledge helps make most rational decisions. Believing in the unseen spiritual matters are not rational are they?

Peace

Satyaban Ji,

Heh please you can always be honest and open with me, say what you like, no need to tread lightly. Honestly my freind I will not take offence.

You are correct belife in God does defy logic and rationality, yet I bet you can see the rationality in differing paths, differing dogma's, differing ideas about what God is and what Gods plan is?

I have thought long and hard over why this aspect of my life is not like the rest and I still have no ideas, none at all. I just belive I can't seem to help it. I dare say I can choose NOT to belive anymore than I can choose to change my sexual orientation.

As I have a foundness of saying, life it's a funny old game innit!

Nov 17, 2009
jammu,j&k , india
well , gurbani says
JIN PREM KIYO TIN HI PRABH PAYO

it simply means tht to meet almighty GOD ( with whom we have been seperated frm ages ) we have to fall in love with him so
for a sikh the first and the last love is only and only GOD

it doesnt mean tht we shd hate our relatives and frnds other beings infact we shd love evryone becs god lies in evryone
so we shd love evry being on this earth but we shd not attach ourselves so internally to anyone person so tht we forget our true love....

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
it doesnt mean tht we shd hate our relatives and frnds other beings infact we shd love evryone becs god lies in evryone
so we shd love evry being on this earth but we shd not attach ourselves so internally to anyone person so tht we forget our true love....

Easier said than done...
Welcome to SPN, chardikala Ji.

Nov 17, 2009
jammu,j&k , india
thaks a lot namjap ji,
and u r absolutely rght ji it is very easy to say but cant be done without guruji's kirpa, tht is the main prb with people like me tht either we r full of hate fr others and
dnt treat evryone alike or we attacch ourselves so closely to this world tht we forget the almighty..........

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM