• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

FAQs Do Sikhs Eat Meat?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
This is serious conversation as far as I am concerned. Extreme positions on the question of veg versus meat have led to some outrageous behavior in the quom. I am reminded of the story where a prominent member of a political group broke into the home of Professor Darshan Singh when he was having a meeting, and later accused him of low morals because he was eating an omelet. He had to waste time explaining that all eggs are slaughtered in the jatka way after realizing he would get nowhere trying to convince his accuser that it is not forbidden to eat eggs. People really need to get a grip on this issue.

The choice to abstain from meat or anything else is a personal decision. Nothing more and nothing less.

Last edited by a moderator:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
This is serious conversation as far as I am concerned. Extreme positions on the question of veg versus meat have led to some outrageous behavior in the quom. I am reminded of the story where a prominent member of a political group broke into the home of Professor Darshan Singh when he was having a meeting, and later accused him of low morals because he was eating an omelet. He had to waste time explaining that all eggs are slaughtered in the jatka way after realizing he would get nowhere trying to convince his accuser that it is not forbidden to eat eggs. People really need to get a grip on this issue.

The choice to abstain from meat or anything else is a personal decision. Nothing more and nothing less.

Absolutely.

I was one of those very pro-vegitarian people many years ago. Being very extreme in my views and some how linking vegetarianism with spirituality to Sikhism.

I then learned the notion of Karma in Sikhism is very different from other faiths. I learned history of Sikhs and how many Amrit dhari Sikhs actually ate meat, and how many didn't. The ONLY time the question of meat arose was at the time of Guru Angad Dev (when meat was actually served in langaar) and Vaishnavs objected, hence langar became vegetarian, and the second time when Banda Bahadhur (who has Vaishnav tendancies) caused a split in the Khalsa (Bandahi Khalsa), but even HE compromised. Recently "Bhai" Randhir Singh od AKJ again foolishly brought up this issue, as did the so called Karicho wala Sant of GNNSJ. Why did they do this?

Since 1984 religious zealots who are fanatically vegetarian AKJ, DDT, Rarionwalay, GNNSJ, Sant, Derawalay etc who have Vaishno tendancies have pushed a fanatical agenda in trying to re-interpret Rehat Maryada. They have even gone to the extent of trying to redifine the word "Kuttha".

THis is PURE "Manmat" (Self Will)!

To their credit, The SRM has stayed resolute on this, only banning "Kuttha", or meat sacrificed to a God or God.

People still cannot let this issue just lie. They are hypocritical over eggs (which are unfertalised ovums), and milk (which is in effect cows blood). How can Sikhs who turn their noses up to eggs (which is a waste product), drink milk (which is cows blood), and meant for a calf (where the calf is cruely denied)?

The answer to this is simple. Do what your conscience states is OK. People associate eggs with flesh yet not milk (which is liquified flesh). Guruji is clear "fools wrangle over flesh" and this is an excellent example of two types of flesh, yet one is OK to consume the over is not (according to Vaishno's).

Amridhari's are FREE to eat whaever they wish too. They do so with an open conscience. Only "Kuttha" is restricted.

Eat what YOU feel is OK, and stop this idiotic argument.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM