• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Do Sikh Youth Have Good Role Models?

xntric

SPNer
Jan 30, 2005
as a seventeen year old sikh male in the united states, ive grown up with no real sikh role model. i am a kesdhari sikh even thought 95% of the ppl i grew up with have cut their hair or fallen to drugs.

Does the sikh youth today have good role models?

Jun 1, 2004
Hello Ji, Welcome to SPN, :)

Regarding your query, we already do have a role model in YOU to look upto, who has not fallen to wordly influences even being persistantly surrounded by them... I look upto you to guide the next generation of Sikhism... so, is there any need to look up someone at all.

There is no dreath of chardi kala sikhs around us, what really is hurting is that they have choosen to run away from mainstream and leave bad role models to show up now and then on media... And just look at people like Rabbi Shergill ... he makes me feel so proud to be a Sikh. When asked in an interview "who are his role models" He proclaimed with gr8 pride, he said "i look upto saint soldiers like Baba deep Singh Ji, Bhai Mani Ji as my role models." The way he has presented himself to the world media is the most creditable. I look upto those kind of people. We have to strive to become our own rolemodels, so that people look up to us...

For your age, i would insist you concentrate on your studies as much as possible, do really good in your stream and show to the world, what Sikhs are really capable of achieving... And certainly i would love to see young blood like you, frequenting to forums like these and share your ideas and concerns with fellow members.

SPN forum has also many enterprising intellectuals from all over the world. Our primary section called Guru Granth Sahib ji, is powered by contemporary intellectual articles written by our members like Amarpal Ji, Gyani Jarnail Singh Ji and many others. I would also like to suggest you reading some of posts by our dear member... S|kh (click here to read some his posts, start from page 10), who is of similar age group like you. I look upto people like him and you to lead the way for next generation of Sikhs.

Best Regards
Aman Singh

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Welcome Singh ji,

On the sikhi way of life, you seem to be quite trackable. The role models - Sikh martyrs, sahibzadeys, Gurus are the primary source of inspiration, what else we can look forward to?

I agree with Aman veer abt his comments.

Regards, Arvind.

Apr 7, 2005
Brampton
I personally don't think many Sikhs (especially youth) have a good role model. Most of Sikhism has fallen into groupings. AKJs, Akalis, Nihungs, Radhaswamis and so on. Since thats happend the image of Sikhs has fallen greatly.

Now i'm not saying the outward image has been ruined since most of those groups greatly emphasize image rather then the life.

To me a physical role model has been next to nothing. Most of my experiences has come when i ask Guru Ji questions. People tend to only give surface answers and leave the depths of questions unanswered.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
In such a situation, where one doesnt find a role model in human form, one has full option to resort to Guru Granth Sahib ji for any kind of solution/explanation. This may appear as a surface answer if we dont try to understand the depth of words, and dont have faith.

Sher Singh

SPNer
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
untrackablesingh said:
pajis, u seem to have misinterpreted my question.

I think i know what you mean. And my answer has to be No! the reason being, there is not a Sikh out there whos voice the entire youth can hear. There is no Sikh leader who everyone knows, AND there is no Sikh leader who is alive!!! There is no one we Sikhs can look to as a role model. Yes, we say the Guru's are alive within us, etc. But what i think is that today's youth know this but they want someone now, who is alive, who we can see, who speaks, hears, walks, etc. WHO IS A ROLE MODEL!. This person needs to know Gurbani, but now as we see, there is no one like this. All our leaders are gone, there is no positive Sikh leader out there you can help the Sikh youth. There is no true model whos pure at heart and knows both Punjabi and English. Who's a good speaker, writer, etc. There is no one.

I hope to have solved your question.

rooh

SPNer
Jul 14, 2005
london
I agree with Sher Singh in that humans learn from other humans, and therfore we need a role model who who has the same form as us, who can talk, and answer the quesions of modern youth, and this is where Sikhism is failing its youth.

You are gravely mistaken in stating there are no such role models. Seek and you shall find.

Last edited:

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
rooh said:
I agree with Sher Singh in that humans learn from other humans, and therfore we need a role model who who has the same form as us, who can talk, and answer the quesions of modern youth, and this is where Sikhism is failing its youth.

And thats how a new "Guru" is created.

Why do the role models have to be some sort of celebrity?

I have Sikh role models, not by the adults, but by other kids...who are slightly older than me. Who changed their lifestyle in front of my eyes, and became something I wish to be.

Than, I also have celebrity or political role models but they are not necessarily Sikhs, but their actions can easily fit the role of a good Sikh, and so I try to be their "Sikh counterpart".

Amerikaur

SPNer
Feb 19, 2005
America
S|kH said:
And thats how a new "Guru" is created.

Why do the role models have to be some sort of celebrity?

I have Sikh role models, not by the adults, but by other kids...who are slightly older than me. Who changed their lifestyle in front of my eyes, and became something I wish to be.

Than, I also have celebrity or political role models but they are not necessarily Sikhs, but their actions can easily fit the role of a good Sikh, and so I try to be their "Sikh counterpart".

I agree totally with S|KH. To find a role model, all you need to find is someone that you admire. Someone that can bring out the best in you. Someone that has qualities that you want to assimilate.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Untrackablesikh,

if you are in the UK, there is a group called BOSS(British Organisation of Sikh Students) who are very good, doing all sorts of sewa for the Sikh youth.

You can find them here;

[SIZE=-1]www.boss-uk.org

Cheers,

Lee.
[/SIZE]

sarbjit_01

SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
ENGLAND
there are enough role models for sikhs

i mean what is a role model exactly?
theyre people who you respect such as your parents
you cant say that your parents havent been role models to you

a role model doesnt have to be some1 who every person in the world knows
the only person who has to know a role model is you

aslong as that role model speaks the truth, fights for justice and passes their knowledge onto you, then they can be any1 in the world.

it can be your best freind, or somebody who you see at the gurudwara on stage telling us about gurbani
or it could be a family member.

but the best role model is Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji our living guru

a role model should inspire you to become a good person
we may be role models to people ourselves without knowing it.

infact many people on here who post messages are role modles for me, because they have strong views about something that i strongly believe in, and they have a calm and non-aggressive way of putting their point across

so bsically i hope that answers your question.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!

Dec 8, 2005
dear brother

SSAKAL

1. This is the first step our youth is taking for role model formation in contemporary world:-

This is the first time GURU make contact with us is through dreams and desires.

3. Now it is upto us to follow his given dream or let it fade away.

5.They say he also gives courage and wisdom to pursue your dream.

6. So why dont you become a role model

:) luv

hps62

TeraRoop11

SPNer
Jan 8, 2005
Vaahiguroo Jee Kaa Khaalsaa! Vaahiguroo Jee Kee Fateh!

This
may just be the sort of concrete example you are searching for.

Personally, I'd look at the responses from all of my Veerjis and Bhaenjis who posted in this thread. They've a very, very valid point. Looking for a worldly role model is an option when you need a boost. However, depending on maaiaa to get you out of maaiaa's trap - not a very good option.

I pray you find the inspiration that you need.

sher singh Jee - if you take a look at your life, I am sure you will find someone who will stand as an example against the statement you've made in your post. Or perhaps, you just haven't found yours, yet - doesn't mean they don't exist.

Kirpaa karke bhull chuk maaf karnee, Maharaj :wah:

Vaahiguroo Jee Kaa Khaalsaa! Vaahiguroo Jee Kee Fateh!

irvinder

SPNer
Nov 20, 2006
Guruji Di Saji Navaji Sadh Sangat, Is nimane jahe das di Guru Fateh Parwaan karni jiRegarding Sikh having a role model and one of my friends putting up that we need someone alive to talk to.So to share from my meek knowledge We say Shree Guru Granth Sahib as living Guru, Dear friends whenever you feel like talking to someone or have some concern just take Vak, do ardas and take hukumnama I assure with full faith u will be stunned to see that what comes out is the answer to your question,its miraculous and moreover Role models are to looked up and lived up like them but Guru ji has given every single way of living an ideal life, yes i use the term IDEAL coz this is the best way to practice our life.We dont need role models but we need to live or atleast try our best with least of the excuses to live as gurbani guides us and be a true sikh and Gurbani says there is no diffenece in God and a True sikh.Bani Guru Guru hai Bani Vich Bani Amrit SaareBani kahe Sewak jann mane Partakh Guru NistareBhulan Chukan lai MaafiNimana jeha SewakGuruji di Saji Navaji Sangat De Charna da DasIrvinder

Jamdhoot

SPNer
Nov 27, 2006
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

as a sikh youth daas belives their are plenty of role models. the obvious are our great Gurus, Sabzadeh, the great shaheeds of the past , the likes of people like Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale and the Babbar Khalsa Singh but it does not end their their are alot of elder gursikhs that daas looks up to aswell as Naam Abhyaasi Singhs from my own age group who have an imense amount of pyar with Naam and Bani. daas see's alot of youth at rehansbhai that sit through rehansbhais here in the UK they all influence each other

If Daas never had role models to look up to then daas would proberly still been a confused sikh with cut hair who goes out drinknig and smoknig and doing drugs

Bhul Chuk Maaf Sangat ji

Sorry If I Said Anything Wrong

please forgive me as this is my first post on here

P.S daas would be very greatfull if gurmukhs could share their gyan with daas as daas wants to learn more about gurbani and its message

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM