• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Christianity Do Christians And Muslims Worship The Same God?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Auzer ji you make some good points but it is very hard to be convinced.

Probably Billionshave gone to Hajj and seen the following,

highwaymecca.gif

In a typical ways of tacit approval you will brush aside the above as Government of Saudi Arabia! That just does not wash.

Same Government provides massive amounts of seed money to most Muslim Religious institutions around the world. Why would one not assume that recipients of such money (virtually all Sunni centric Mosques in the world), actually hold such discriminatory beliefs?

Plain and simple there are "People of the Book" with slightly less discrimination from Muslims. Everyone else is a Qafir. An animal, a low life, to be exploited through Shria, Hirza, stolen from, etc.

Please clarify. Not here to offend but to understand realities versus suppositions or make believes such as, "Islam, the religion of Love". Who needs "Hate" with "Love" like in the posted image.

Take care.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2010
AMBARSARIA Ji,
What we see today as ISLAM is very much different from its Original ISLAM.
We get a glimpse of real ISLAM in SGGS thru various Sabads and surprisingly this is quite different.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
I am no fan of Islam but I would say there is a hardcore element that makes it look very bad indeedt. There are so many things with the religion as a whole that I find distasteful

That said, I do have muslim friends and co-workers and I am fairly confident that they are not jihadists...

Each to their own I guess but anyone who tries to sell the concept that it is a progressive, tolerant peaceful path has their work cut out for them!

So I am looking forward to Auzer Ji's and others' replies...

Auzer

SPNer
Feb 19, 2012
Auzer ji you make some good points but it is very hard to be convinced.

Probably Billionshave gone to Hajj and seen the following,

highwaymecca.gif

In a typical ways of tacit approval you will brush aside the above as Government of Saudi Arabia! That just does not wash.

Well do you know the history behind this ban? Probably not! In Mediveal ages (10th or 14th century or something like that etc) , two non-Muslims (probably Christian but not sure) were caught digging a secret tunnel to the grave of the holy Prophet (SAW). Their plan was to steal the body of holy Prophet and use it as the chip for political concessions from the Muslim empires of those times (Who were ruling the world and Europe was an "under-dog" in the fight)... They got caught and all the Muslims went ferocious! Can you even imagine the "low" enemies of Islam went? It was after this that Muslim commander said " No non-Muslims in holy cities now. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" ... and hence this law came up. Now in Medieval ages , this law was established and carried on with the Muslim world. Now , today , can you "take back" this law? The answer is NO. There are three reasons

First : This law is being implemented for a long,long time now and changing it is not easy.

Second : The "reason" this law came about is VERY emotional to the Muslims (but lets leave that and keep the discussion objective/secular)

*Third : Mecca is a small city with HUGE burden. TENS OF MILLIONS of people visit Mecca every year. On hajj ,alone , 4 MILLION people pure into Mecca within two days! Now if you allow "non-Muslims" too , Mecca will BURST with pressure. ALOT of tourists will pour in (specially in the initial days of the lifting of ban)...Secondly , security issues will rise too. This is unpractical to lift this ban. Non-Muslims DO go into Mecca (Chinese construction Engineers etc etc) ...But its just due to administration reasons (along with other reasons) that Saudi Government or ANY authority for that matter can't "open" Mecca for all.

Plain and simple there are "People of the Book" with slightly less discrimination from Muslims. Everyone else is a Qafir. An animal, a low life, to be exploited through Shria, Hirza, stolen from, etc.
Well what is the source of your this info? It is sad to see such misleading information coming from you. Do do you know , Shari'a Law (Islamic Law) is taught in almost ALL top universities of the world. Do you SERIOUSLY think that Harvard would teach such law to their student? Is it even believable that such law would find ANY support even from Muslims? Non-Muslims are NOT low life , animal etc etc. This is all propaganda. Jews preferred to live under Islamic law as compared with Europe...mmmm why? Such kind of anti-Islam brainwashing is dangerous for all of us. Do you seriously think that every fourth person on the planet will see other humans as "animals" , low-life etc etc? Or would believe in such religion who tells him this? ...If people believe such illogical things........*no words* ...

Please clarify. Not here to offend but to understand realities versus suppositions or make believes such as, "Islam, the religion of Love". Who needs "Hate" with "Love" like in the posted image.
I tried to clarify.Hope you will see things from more open perspective now. Islam IS one of the greatest faiths of the planet and NO faith can get THIS much acceptance from different nations across the globe if it was so hateful or discriminatory.

Take care.
You too. I replied to you in the other thread too (Women in Islam). Hope you have read it.

Auzer

SPNer
Feb 19, 2012
I am no fan of Islam but I would say there is a hardcore element that makes it look very bad indeedt. There are so many things with the religion as a whole that I find distasteful

That said, I do have muslim friends and co-workers and I am fairly confident that they are not jihadists...

Each to their own I guess but anyone who tries to sell the concept that it is a progressive, tolerant peaceful path has their work cut out for them!

So I am looking forward to Auzer Ji's and others' replies...

It IS a peaceful , tolerant , moderate and progressive path. What makes it easy for Muslims to make such statement is that Islam states these things "EXPLICITLY" ! We don't need to leave Qur'an or interpret,re-interpret and re-re-interpret Islamic literature to prove anything (as in the case of Bible). Did you know that there is an EXPLICIT Hadith of Prophet Muhammad that states something like this " Be moderate in your religion and don't make your religion too hard for you by going to extremes" ... Islam demands us to practice it in moderation..And Islam was revealed in 7th century and then Arabs used to bury there girls alive. In SUCH times , Islam *explicitly* commands women to get education , gives them rights of inheritance/property , right to divorce (even on the basis of sexual dissatisfaction) and right to do independent business. Can you show me any such things from the bible? mmm no you can't! I have read the bible..Also , if you don't know , the medieval European criticism of Islam aggressively criticizes Islam because "Islam gives women and slave too much liberty" ... You don't you see all this as "progressiveness" ?

But again , if you look today , Muslims aren't very progressive...but you have to see things in the perspective..Most of the Muslim states are passing through their "post colonial" era with ALOT of social problems (Low literacy rates , corruption , violence , communal problems , tribal thought , wars , bad governance etc etc etc ) ...Now Islam really shouldn't be given all the blame for this lack of "progressiveness" ... Turkey is way more "Islamic" than say Pakistan. An "Islamic party" is ruling the country and see how Turks are doing..A progressive , healthy and potent society! ... So please again , don't blame everything on Islam . . . .

And almost ALL Muslims are like your co-workers....We are normal life-loving people who want to enjoy life.

@ amarjit singh bamrah

Your long post , copied from anti-Islamic propaganda Christian sites , is not even worth responding. Please if you have nothing positive to contribute , then don't ruin the discussion. Copy-pasting anti-Sikh , Anti-Christian posts would not be hard for me ....but only kids do these kind of stuff...Grow up.

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Just one comment
Is it even believable that such law would find ANY support even from Muslims? Non-Muslims are NOT low life , animal etc etc.
Brother no matter how you twist and turn, the sign says it all. Non-Muslims cannot be equal to Muslims in a Muslim country. Stories and justifications abound as to why it is so for a good reason.

Is there something wrong in those who like it, follow it or practice it? Absolutely not as long there is common human decency for all at the working, friendship and practical level.

I like to talk straight and don't mind if you respond in like terms. Apologies and this is just to keep the issues as clear as possible.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
And Islam was revealed in 7th century and then Arabs used to bury there girls alive. In SUCH times , Islam *explicitly* commands women to get education , gives them rights of inheritance/property , right to divorce (even on the basis of sexual dissatisfaction) and right to do independent business. Can you show me any such things from the bible?...Islam demands us to practice it in moderation.. I have read the bible..Also , if you don't know , the medieval European criticism of Islam aggressively criticizes Islam because "Islam gives women and slave too much liberty" ... You don't you see all this as "progressiveness" ?

My dear brother Auzer kaurhug

As-Salaam-Alaikum!

Friend, would you mind if I offered my perspective on the above? This is a Sikh forum and I have come here to learn more about Sikhism and to grow in love with my Sikh brothers and sisters. As a result I would rather not discuss my own religion all that much however since this is the interfaith section and its about Muslims and Christians, I would very much appreciate it if you would allow me to comment on your above words.

On the one hand I am happy that you have taken the time to read the Bible which some of our Islamic brothers and sisters do not read, since they regard it as a corrupted text. I greatly appreciate and admire such open-mindedness from your good self.

I also agree with you that the Qur'an courageously speaks out against the prevalent Arabian practice of infanticide of female babies. I actually know the Sura, which is a Meccan one called the Bee (I read it many years ago when I first studied the Qur'an in depth):

"When news is brought to one of them of the birth of a female child, his face darkens and he is filled with inward grief. With shame does he hide himself from his people because of the bad news he has had! Shall he retain her on contempt or bury her in the dust? Ah! what an evil they decide on?" (Quran 16:59).

This was certainly an Islamic improvement upon the previous state of affairs in pagan Arabia.

In all honesty, however, I do see errors with your representation of the Bible which I think borders slightly on the disrespectful side (I don't think there was any need to insult my religion - Christianity - in retaliation to someone criticizing Islam).

I find it very sad that you felt the need to resort to criticizing my religion in response to criticism of Islam :(

You write:

In SUCH times , Islam *explicitly* commands women to get education , gives them rights of inheritance/property , right to divorce (even on the basis of sexual dissatisfaction) and right to do independent business. Can you show me any such things from the bible?

I hope you don't mind me asking but could you provide us with references for the above statements my dear friend? I think it would be beneficial to this discussion.

The Bible teaches the equality of the sexes. This equality is reflected in the Galatian baptismal formula:

"...There does not exist among you Jew or Greek, slave or free, male or female. All are one in Christ Jesus..."(Gal. 3:28).

This text was most probably an early hymn or prayer that every newly baptized Christian sang or prayed with great rejoicing.

Certainly the Bible upholds woman's right to education - and most enfatically. Jesus courageously broke the social mores of his time by teaching women on many occassions (the Judaism of the time relegated women largely to the home. This wasn't the fault of the OT, per se, but rather the Rabbinic and priestly understanding of the era).

In fact so much of an advocate of women was Jesus that at his trial one of the pieces of evidence used to support his execution was to do with his emancipation of women. A variant reading of Luke 23:2, 5 from the church father Epiphanius reads:

"They began their accusation by saying, 'We found this man inciting
our people to a revolt, opposing payment of the tribute to Caesar,
leading astray the women and the children, and claiming to be Christ,
a king:...and he has turned our children and wives away from us for

they are not bathed as we are, nor do they purify themselves."

Some Jewish Rabbis firmly declared "Let the words of Torah rather be destroyed by fire than imparted to women". The male-dominated society of the time didn't generaly value women's lives and work. An example of this can be found in the work Special Laws by the Jewish philosopher Philo: "The women are best suited to the indoor life which never strays from the house …"

The terrible sexism which Jesus had to fight is highlighted by this passage:

"...Just then his disciples came. They were astonished that he was speaking with a woman, but no one said, "What do you want?" or, "Why are you speaking with her?..."

- (John 4:27)

Jesus' attitude could not have been more different. One of the best stories highighting this is Jesus' interaction with Mary and Martha. It is, as one interpreter says, "perhaps the strongest and clearest affirmation on the part of Jesus that the spiritual and intellectual life was just as proper for women as to men" (Swidler 1979:192). :

And here it is in the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible:
Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her."
"Sat at the Lord's feet" (10:39) is a particularly significant phrase, because Jewish disciples or students sat at the feet of their chosen rabbis or teachers. The apostle Paul, for example, says that he was "brought up. . . at the feet of Gamaliel" (Acts 22:3). In our Mary-Martha story, "Luke is intimating that Mary is a disciple, and as such her behavior is to be emulated" (Witherington 1990:100). Disciples attached themselves and gave their allegiance to particular teachers and the movements they led, as did Jesus' followers, including Mary. To "sit at one's feet" then is a first century Rabbinic phrase indicating that one is receiving instruction in Torah; that is education from one's Rabbi.

"The teaching of women by Jesus is particularly significant when we consider the customs of Judaism in his time. Women. . . were not permitted to study the Scriptures with a rabbi. . . .The story of Mary and Martha (Luke 10:38-42) clearly shows Jesus' willingness to consider women as worthy students. In this text, Mary takes the traditional male role of 'sitting at the feet' or studying with the rabbi. Jesus approves of her interest in intellectual and spiritual matters, for she is told that she has chosen the better part" (McHaffie 1986:15).

Property/inheritance:

Not an area the New Testament speaks on specifically, since its not a matter of faith and morals (but a secular matter for the state to determine not religion) however women are equal heirs in every respect:

"...You husbands in the same way, live with your wives in an understanding way...since she is a woman; and show her honor as an equal heir of the grace of life, so that your prayers will not be hindered..."

- 1 Peter 3:7

Right to divorce

In Jesus' time, a man could divorce his wife, but the wife had no right to divorce her husband. There were no references to a woman giving her husband such a bill. In Mark 10:11-12, Jesus overthrows this tradition and states that neither spouse can divorce the other; he treats the wife and husband equally. In a similar passage in Mark 10:11–12, Jesus widens the scope of the teaching to show that such dissolution may apply to the behavior of either the man or the woman (even though in Jewish custom women could not divorce their husbands, Jesus includes women equally in his charge): "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her; and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery."

Right to do independent business

Jesus' ministry was funded by many women of independent means. One of these, his chief provider, was Mary Magdalene an unmarried, wealthy, self-made woman who possesed her own resources and freely lended her patronage to the Jesus Movement:

Luke 8:2, 3: "and certain women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities—Mary called Magdalene, out of whom had come seven demons, <SUP>3</SUP> and Joanna the wife of Chuza, Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others who provided for Him from their substance."

Also , if you don't know , the medieval European criticism of Islam aggressively criticizes Islam because "Islam gives women and slave too much liberty" ... You don't you see all this as "progressiveness" ?

I honestly cannot see this as being the medeival European criticism of Islam given that Christianity had all but eradicated slavery from the Christian populations of Europe by the 1100s.

"Nature having made no slaves, all men have an equal right to liberty"

- Pope Alexander III, 1159

"Not only the Christian religion, but nature herself, cries out against slavery"

- Pope Leo X, 1513

James Bowden writes of Leo:

"...Pope Leo X declared against slavery at a very early stage of its existence, and he did so under somewhat extraordinary circumstances...Leo X was one of the most learned of the popes, and, doubtless was fully aware that, mainly by the voice of the Church, slavery had been extinguished in western Europe..."

"...The maternal love of the Catholic Church embraces all people. As you know, venerable brother, the Church from the beginning sought to completely eliminate slavery, whose wretched yoke has oppressed many people. It is the industrious guardian of the teachings of its Founder [Jesus] who, by His words and those of the apostles, taught men the fraternal necessity which unites the whole world. From Him we recall that everybody has sprung from the same source, was redeemed by the same ransom, and is called to the same eternal happiness. He assumed the neglected cause of the slaves and showed Himself the strong champion of freedom. Insofar as time and circumstances allowed, He gradually and moderately accomplished His goal. Of course, pressing constantly with prudence and planning, He showed what He was striving for in the name of religion, justice, and humanity. In this way He put national prosperity and civilization in general into His debt. This zeal of the Church for liberating the slaves has not languished with the passage of time; on the contrary, the more it bore fruit, the more eagerly it glowed... St. Gregory the Great, Hadrian I, Alexander III, Innocent III, Gregory IX, Pius II, Leo X, Paul III, Urban VIII, Benedict XIV, Pius VII, and Gregory XVI stand out. They applied every effort to eliminate the institution of slavery wherever it existed. They also took care lest the seeds of slavery return to those places from which this evil institution had been cut away..."

- Pope Leo XIII, CATHOLICAE ECCLESIAE, 1890

A Protestant historian Rodney Stark has a great article on how the Catholic Church fought against the institution of slavery:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2003/julyweb-only/7-14-53.0.html

Also see this website:

http://www.cuf.org/news/newsdetail.asp?newID=81

Much love to you!

Last edited:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
"Islam gives women and slave too much liberty"

I'm quite shocked that you can mention this. It will be amusing to see how you justify it WITHOUT criticising another faith.

I don't think think that the bible had any need to dictate womens rights if they didn't seem to have a problem.

Didn't the prophet marry an elder woman something like 20 years older because she had plenty of money, then married another even elder, then tried to divorce her. But the divorce didn't occur maybe(not sure) as she in turn let him carry on seeing and then marrying a 6-7 yr old Aisha

In total there were 11 marriages. The married women were all given a lot of 'woman respect' as they were rewarded by being regarded as 'Mothers of believers' (there is an arabic term for this)

I'm sure you will enjoy correcting and justifying the above, but without criticising another faith, I look forward to the post.

Thanks

Auzer

SPNer
Feb 19, 2012
Brother I don't know where you live or if you never emigrated out of where you were born. With this logic of yours, the world will become quite perverse. One just would have to draw a convenient flag in time to justify as there will be no defense. It is how it was with the reasons of the times when so was established.

With this logic no Muslims should have invaded India, nobody should have come to Canada, UK, USA, Netherlands, Germany, France, etc. I hope it helps you see where this logic ends up!

mmmm I guess I have been to more countries and more type of cultures than you can ever imagine , Ambar ji. Just for the record ...I have not only been to Mecca and Medina but I have also lived in Saudi Arabia (Al Qaseem/Gaseem province) .. So I certainly know things first hand whereas many depend on internet and believe that they 'know it all' while the ground realities are something completely different.

Now coming to your post : Muslims invasion of India has nothing to do with this topic. And for heaven's sake brother ... USA , UK , CANADA , GERMANY , FRANCE etc etc are COUNTRIES and not some congested under-pressured cities where HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS people come every year! There is a difference. There are millions of hindus , Christians , Atheists etc etc in Saudi Arabia and Middle-East etc. This is not the problem. You are not seeing the logic and probably you don't want to see it. Mecca is just few hundred kilometer^2 city , situated in the valley of mountains , where MILLIONS of people come. There are already way,way too many problems there...My aunt lives in Mecca and I stayed in her house for two weeks etc. Even back then (it is 2007) , she was telling me about rising crimes in the city due to rapid rise in population of black Africans in the city (no racism here lol) .. Also , you have to see things in perspective...Once that law was made (in 14th/15th century probably) then there was no reversing back. As I already told you , it is completely due to administrative reasons now that non-Muslims aren't allowed (If you didn't know , even MUSLIMS aren't allowed to influx Mecca. They can visit it and thats it. Not so many jobs are available in Mecca so no more permanent residents there...I bet you didn't know this?) ...

While in sura 2, verse 256, it says “There is no compulsion in religion,” it urges Muslims to kill those Muslims who convert to other religions.
There is no compulsion in religion and it urges Muslims to kill others? WTH? Brother I can bet that you NEVER read the Qur'an. Only few quotes here and there. Please don't do this intellectual dishonesty.

“Let not the believers take the unbelievers for friends rather than believers; and whoever does this, he shall have nothing of (the guardianship of) Allah, but you should guard yourselves against them, guarding carefully; and Allah makes you cautious of (retribution from) Himself; and to Allah is the eventual coming.” (Sura 3, verse 28).
See you just exposed the intellectual dishonesty that Islam-haters preach. I won't judge you because I am sure that Sikhi doesn't teach you that and you are a victim of propaganda. You just see copy-pasted information and believe it. Never asks any Muslim about it? So lets see this verse in this actual context : This verse was revealed , you know when? Once , during a war , Muslims were planning to attack Meccans ...Many of the companions of Prophet were ex-Meccans (now in Madina) but their families were still in Mecca. One of the Companion of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) decided to inform Meccans about the plan of the attack early and he hoped that in return , Meccans would not retaliate against his family (who was still in Mecca) ... But God told prophet about it and the companion was unable to convey the message to Meccans. Prophet called him and asked him why he betrayed..He told Prophet that oh prophet of Allah , I swear my intention was not to betray.I just want to protect my family... ON THIS , this verse was revealed that don't take unbelievers (Quraish tribe of Mecca) as your friends...because they can't be your friends. To say it clearly , Allah said that even if that companion helped Meccans , meccans would have STILL caused harm to his family. So this is not a general verse saying Muslims to don't make friends with non-Muslims. Its just one verse took out of its context and malign Islam. It is a whole story but you quoted just one verse out of context without providing any historical background? Tell me brother , who is being unfair here? .... Now brother you see..how people like Amarjit Singh Bamrah mislead people. Such people not only give bad name to Sikhi but also cause friction between different peace loving people.

Auzer brother don't turn academic learning into acceptance of what is taught. Perhaps lot of Jewish professors (no discrimination intended but just how everything is blamed on the Jews I feel appropriate to take a shot) really want the world to know first hand about Shria Law so it can be prevented from destroying ways of billions.
Well by now , I hope that I've clearly demonstrated that "who" is engaging (or atleast trying to engage) in an academic objective discussion and which side is quoting things out of context , without knowing anything and falling victim to propaganda (or just its their hate?) ... And no , if you again don't know....Jews also follow Shari'a Law ;) .. Yes , Islamic law and Jewish law is VERY,VERY similar. Its just that you don't know anything about Shari'a law. You never studied it and hence you are misunderstanding it. Study of law is a very complex matter ... You can't just read laws and say "Yeah I know the law" ..never! There are ALOT of studies behind laws and their application in the certain society. And Shari'a Law doesn't "destroy" any nation..as far as I remember. It is one of the most influential law-code in recorded human history. Thats why US supreme court has the sculpture of Muhammad in the gallery of 9 most influential law givers of humankind..Islamic law was established by Muhammad.

Brother no matter how you twist and turn, the sign says it all. Non-Muslims cannot be equal to Muslims in a Muslim country. Stories and justifications abound as to why it is so for a good reason.
I already demonstrated that who is "twisting and turning" things by taking them out of context and/or implying wrong meaning of the verse etc etc..All you need to do is to go to any Islamic website and READ the Qur'an and modern Muslim explanation/interpretation of the Qur'an/Hadiths etc ..... But alas! some people depend on anti-Islamic propaganda sides to learn Islam *facepalm* Would you like the idea of me going to any anti-sikh hindu extremist site to learn about Sikhi , instead of asking/learning it directly from learned sikhs? I bet not and same goes for Muslims.

Brother Auzer if I may state my take on the growth of Islam. It has the magic formula of the following,

• Masochism for men
  • Females as relatively second class citizens to use, abuse and rule
  • Superiority complex as being number one and the worst demeaning for all other religions and people.
Well , if you didn't know ...Islam is the *only* major faith that is ever "growing upward" from its inception,Mashallah! Don't to brag about it but to try to show you that how absurd it is to believe that a diverse , global religion like Islam will keep on growing just on the basis of "Masochism for men and giving girls second-class status" .... It can't be possible. Also just to clarify , Most Western converts to Islam are women! Why would university educated , mature girls choose to be second class citizen? Remember , they convert to Islam after "a detailed period of study of the religion" ... These are not my words but the words of british institute which published the report on British converts to Islam. So again , Islam elevates women and hence women come to Islam. Don't talk if you don't know anything. Are all these university educated women , who study Islam in detail for atleast 2 years before conversion , are stupid? OR its you who don't have the real information? mmmm I guess the latter is more true.

I like to talk straight and don't mind if you respond in like terms. Apologies and this is just to keep the issues as clear as possible.
I don't mind as long as people are willing to learn and see how propaganda is fed into them. Its always good to talk and clear misconceptions :))
PS: I took quotes on Shria, etc., from Amarjit Singh Bamrah ji's post. Thanks to the poster.

Instead of thanking him , tell him to stop going on Anti-Islam hate sites and copy-pasting stuff out of context/without knowing the historical background of the revelation. I am sure Sikhi doesn't teach sikhs to spread lies about any other faith......

PS. Are you a male or female? I know its a stupid question but just to make sure..

Last edited:

Auzer

SPNer
Feb 19, 2012
@ Vouthon

Sorry sir. I accept that I got carried away but you have to see my situation too. I see SO MUCH propaganda , lies and slandering of my faith and I , sometimes , gets emotional/frustrated. Its like all religion have problems (debates on women rights , role of religion in the society , liberal interpretations vs conservative ones , violence in the name of religion etc etc) but why single-out only and only Islam? It seems like all the world is against Islam (accept Chinese and Muslims lol) ....But I apologize again ....My intent was not to be rude towards your religion.

Auzer

SPNer
Feb 19, 2012
"Islam gives women and slave too much liberty"

I'm quite shocked that you can mention this. It will be amusing to see how you justify it WITHOUT criticising another faith.

I don't think think that the bible had any need to dictate womens rights if they didn't seem to have a problem.

Didn't the prophet marry an elder woman something like 20 years older because she had plenty of money, then married another even elder, then tried to divorce her. But the divorce didn't occur maybe(not sure) as she in turn let him carry on seeing and then marrying a 6-7 yr old Aisha

In total there were 11 marriages. The married women were all given a lot of 'woman respect' as they were rewarded by being regarded as 'Mothers of believers' (there is an arabic term for this)

I'm sure you will enjoy correcting and justifying the above, but without criticising another faith, I look forward to the post.

Thanks

mmm well you took my quote out of context. I mentioned it as a Medieval European criticism on Islam that it gave too much rights to women/slave. Anyways , coming down to the question....

Yes prophet did marry an elder woman but the proposal of marriage came from HER! So how can you say that Prophet married her for "money" ? Also , when Prophet started preaching ...Meccans offered him all the money and leadership of clan and asked him to stop preaching but he didn't. So money wasn't a problem there lol..and prophet led a VERY poor life. Sometimes he didn't even have food to eat (read Aisha's Hadiths) ...but again..propagandist won't tell you all this. They'd only quote one thing and twist it to malign prophet. And yes prophet did marry 11 women....He was a leader of tribe in a tribal society...It was normal on those days. You have to realize that Prophet wasn't living in 2012 ...

And marriage of Aisha is disputed..There's a long internal debate in Islam about Aish's age...Its either 9 or 19...but I am sure that you never heard that? Aisha's age comes from Hadiths and Hadiths aren't God's word.They are traditions...There are alot of evidence that say Aisha's age was 19 year old. But even if her age was 9 , it is not a problem for me because marrying young girls in 7th century was the norm. Remember , Arabia was a tribal society of 7th century!

Here is an Islamic perspective on Prophet's marriage (if Aisha's age is taken to be 9)

www.letmeturnthetables.blogspot.com/2008/07/why-prophet-muhammad-married-aisha-when.html And I'll probably won't reply to you any further because I have already too much on my hand (discussing things with three/four persons already :/ ) lol...But you can PM me and I'll reply to your queries , whenever I get a chance.

Take care.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
PS. Are you a male or female? I know its a stupid question but just to make sure..
Auzer brother treat me as female while criticizing and complement me as a male. lol mundahug

I fully accept I don't know Shria Law so depended on someone else's post.

I am not happy with your responses and I seem to have a mental block in dealing with arguments that I have seen not just from you but other friends of Muslim faith.

It goes along the lines of "Allah said so, and so it is". There is also a very very strong marked tendency to blame all bad flagged by anyone against Islam as Zionist/America/etc. conspiracy and all good because Islam is good. When such an approach is taken it is almost too big a gulf to cross or have a reasonable dialog to learn.

Sikhism is not based on that. None of our Guru ji represented God or claimed exclusivity to God.

So there is fundamental dilemma in approach.

Take care.

Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
@ Vouthon

Sorry sir. I accept that I got carried away but you have to see my situation too. I see SO MUCH propaganda , lies and slandering of my faith and I , sometimes , gets emotional/frustrated. Its like all religion have problems (debates on women rights , role of religion in the society , liberal interpretations vs conservative ones , violence in the name of religion etc etc) but why single-out only and only Islam? It seems like all the world is against Islam (accept Chinese and Muslims lol) ....But I apologize again ....My intent was not to be rude towards your religion.

My dear brother Auzer :)

I very much appreciate your apology (which shows a real depth of character).

Honestly, I was not trying to get on to you or anything and I can see it from your perspective.

May I inquire about one part of your post however: You write:

Aisha's age comes from Hadiths and Hadiths aren't God's word.They are traditions

I am not a Muslim, although I have read the Qur'an, Sunni Hadith (Ie Bukhari) and many Shi'ite ones (Ie the Kitab-al-kafi) and it is my understanding that mainstream Islam is not a sola scriptura faith, rather like Catholicism and Orthodox Judaism the Hadith are truly divinely inspired, being the recorded words of Muhammad and the biograpghy of his life. Muhammad is considered to be a true model for all human beings to be followed in all his sayings, doings, and practices. The Hadith are thus part of the prophet Muhammad's sunnah and Muslims are commanded by God to follow this Sunnah, together with the Qur'an, as sources for the teachings and rules of Islam.

A Muslim friend (Sunni) once told me that Hadith is the interpretation of Quran and the detail about understanding Islam (one the main sources of Islamic law) and so it is as important as the Qur'an in many ways because without hadith a Muslim cannot perform even the five times daily prayers.

I know that there a small minority of persecuted Muslims in modern times called "Quranists" or "Quran Aloners" who do not believe in Hadith. These people are considered kufar and heretics by mainstream Sunni and Shi'ite Muslims.

I also understand that certain Hadith are given more weight than others (ie considered to be more authentic). It is my understanding that Hadith collections such as the one by Bukhari are considered authentic by Sunni Muslims and the Kitab-al-Kafi is considered authentic for Shi'ites.

Much love to you!

Last edited:

Auzer

SPNer
Feb 19, 2012
Auzer brother treat me as female while criticizing and complement me as a male. lol mundahug

I fully accept I don't know Shria Law so depended on someone else's post.

I am not happy with your responses and I seem to have a mental block in dealing with arguments that I have seen not just from you but other friends of Muslim faith.

It goes along the lines of "Allah said so, and so it is". There is also a very very strong marked tendency to blame all bad flagged by anyone against Islam as Zionist/America/etc. conspiracy and all good because Islam is good. When such an approach is taken it is almost too big a gulf to cross or have a reasonable dialog to learn.

Sikhism is not based on that. None of our Guru ji represented God or claimed exclusivity to God.

So there is fundamental dilemma in approach.

Take care.

And let me ask you why you aren't happy/satisfied with my responses? I NEVER , for once , took that line of argument that Allah said this , so it is..etc etc ... I have been explaining to you from secular viewpoint and not by religious one. You yourself see how less knowledge do you have and how people like you fall to propaganda of haters and believe absurd things about Islam (example you quoted (Sura 3, verse 28) as if it forbids Muslims to have friends with non-Muslims but in reality , the story is COMPLETELY different. There are many , many such examples of misquoting/mis-translating Islamic scripture to malign Islam. People who are sincere should ask Muslims about Islam rather than believing in haters) ...Also , I NEVER accused of you being a zionist conspiracy blah blah...I just told you not to go on anti-Islam hater sites to learn about Islam. The site Amarjit Singh Bamrah copy-pasted from is an right-wing extremist anti-Muslim site . . . I have been reading these sites for years now ...it is not any conspiracy but true fact.

Anyways . . . .

Auzer

SPNer
Feb 19, 2012
My dear brother Auzer :)

I very much appreciate your apology (which shows a real depth of character).

Honestly, I was not trying to get on to you or anything and I can see it from your perspective.

May I inquire about one part of your post however: You write:

I am not a Muslim, although I have read the Qur'an, Sunni Hadith (Ie Bukhari) and many Shi'ite ones (Ie the Kitab-al-kafi) and it is my understanding that mainstream Islam is not a sola scriptura faith, rather like Catholicism and Orthodox Judaism the Hadith are truly divinely inspired, being the recorded words of Muhammad and the biograpghy of his life. Muhammad is considered to be a true model for all human beings to be followed in all his sayings, doings, and practices. The Hadith are thus part of the prophet Muhammad's sunnah and Muslims are commanded by God to follow this Sunnah, together with the Qur'an, as sources for the teachings and rules of Islam.

A Muslim friend (Sunni) once told me that Hadith is the interpretation of Quran and the detail about understanding Islam (one the main sources of Islamic law) and so it is as important as the Qur'an in many ways because without hadith a Muslim cannot perform even the five times daily prayers.

I know that there a small minority of persecuted Muslims in modern times called "Quranists" or "Quran Aloners" who do not believe in Hadith. These people are considered kufar and heretics by mainstream Sunni and Shi'ite Muslims.

I also understand that certain Hadith are given more weight than others (ie considered to be more authentic). It is my understanding that Hadith collections such as the one by Bukhari are considered authentic by Sunni Muslims and the Kitab-al-Kafi is considered authentic for Shi'ites.

Much love to you!

You are very right about Hadiths. Hadiths are very important part of Islamic literature. My point was that Hadiths , as compared to Qur'an , are more open to debate by Muslim scholars. There is a difference of opinion among Muslim scholars about Aisha's age. There are many evidences (within hadiths) that Aisha wasn't 9 but 19. The study of hadith is a very complex issue. One need to look at chain of narrators , authenticity of narrators , other reports regarding any particular hadiths etc etc ..... My point was that Hadiths aren't like Qur'an . . . if it was in Qur'an that Aisha's age was 9 then there was very less room for debate. But Qur'an doesn't say anything about it so Aisha's age is more debatable. I personally don't have any problem if Prophet Married Aisha even at age 9 , in 7th century. But if he had done this in 21st century , that would be a problem then ....

And thanks for accepting my apology :))

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Auzer brother you probably seen that I have severely edited my post after your response. You can do the same if it bothers you as you quoted rightfully and addressed as the original post stood.
I personally don't have any problem if Prophet Married Aisha even at age 9 , in 7th century. But if he had done this in 21st century , that would be a problem then .... :))
Now I am bit of a student of logic by birth, upbringing and education.

• So above you have issue of even the most revered of person's conduct, if true, if it were to take place now but justified when and if it occurred in the past
Contrarily, I cannot reconcile that you have used fixed time as not being able to change as follows,

CASE 1:
First : This law is being implemented for a long,long time now and changing it is not easy.

• Time lapsed allows one to keep following bad
Second : The "reason" this law came about is VERY emotional to the Muslims (but lets leave that and keep the discussion objective/secular)

• Islam is not alone, emotions are integral to most if not all religions. For future of mankind, the just must rise from each religion and not without. This will form the basis of Interfaith consonance.

*Third : Mecca is a small city with HUGE burden. TENS OF MILLIONS of people visit Mecca every year. On hajj ,alone , 4 MILLIONpeople pure into Mecca within two days! Now if you allow "non-Muslims" too , Mecca will BURST with pressure. ALOT of tourists will pour in (specially in the initial days of the lifting of ban)...Secondly , security issues will rise too. This is unpractical to lift this ban. Non-Muslims DO go into Mecca (Chinese construction Engineers etc etc) ...But its just due to administration reasons (along with other reasons) that Saudi Government or ANY authority for that matter can't "open" Mecca for all.

• Brother I have to assume it is a very sacred place and revered place. For example we have places that people cherish. But Sikhs have a basic of cover your head, take of your shoes and don't bring or consume alcohol, meat, tobacco on premises. Beyond that, Bob is your uncle.
  • In my heart of hearts my flagging of the non-Muslim exit sign is not to show bad but to flag why it could not be better and all could go with obvious
  • For example I would have liked to see as fundamentally all such places have a character, serenity and purity of their own
Brother I appreciate your attention to detail in answers and due respect responses. If I came across as little hostile please accept my apologies.

Thanks.

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
I can see Ambarsaria Ji's point of view here and I also find it sad that there is such deliberate segregation and division

Whilst I can't speak for the last few hundred years, I guess it is fair to say that in the last 10 years that Islam has had a heightened profile and in a very negative way as well, that is likely to increase the risk of a retaliatory attack against that which represents Islam

So I can also understand why there would be a desire to increase security now...but again that is only in the light of the last 10 years or so...

Prior to what kicked off around the 9/11 attack, I would have had difficultly accepting this position

Jan 17, 2012
london uk
Many of my friends are Moslem
I have no problem with them
My best friend is a Muslim who I grew up with in Tanzania.
He respects my religion I respect his and we still best friends.

Sikhism is a lovely religion. The Guru Granth Sahib praises the Lord throughout.

In Sikhism and Hinduism we to my knowledge have never used force to convert others to convert to our religion.

In Islam and Christianity throughout their existance Brute force has been used, to convert to their respective religions.

A thought came to my mind a few years ago in Bradford and Birmingham ( maybe other towns as well) I was shown a phamplet distributed in Mosques which stated £5000-00 would be paid to a Moslem marrying and converting a Sikh Girl.

I stand to be corrected and I ask forgiveness if I have offended with my statements.

PS. I have been to Holy Mecca and paid my respects to the Holy Shrine.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM