• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Do All Religions Lead To God?

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
namjap ji:

The Shiva lingum so misunderstood. The lingum sure looks like a male organ in a what vulva. It is the image of divinity the first icon of Lord Shiva worshipped as Parasiva "Transcendant Shiva" Siva the Absolute Reality, plus Shiva as creator. Sorry for the white lingam which is much too big and I can't remove it.

Peace
Satyaban

Let's try this one. I'm a mess ain't I? Mr Low Tech at your service. ROFL

Attachments

• Shiva lingam.jpg
    Shiva lingam.jpg
    3.5 KB · Reads: 204
  • Shiva lingam a boat load.jpg
    Shiva lingam a boat load.jpg
    191.3 KB · Reads: 202

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Satyaban ji

The pic of the white lingam is not too too big as it is not making the web page stretch. So we can leave it that way. Don't worry.

"male sex organ" is one of several meanings for lingam -- and it is typically depicted emerging from a yoni or female sex organ. Again, different panths within Hinduism and communities of worship have different meanings for Lingam.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Satyaban Ji and AusDesi Ji,

Let's take these verses a step deeper.

Adi Sankaracharya's
Nirguna Manasa Puja

Worship of the Attributeless Spirit
Translated by Swami Yogananda Sarasvati
E-Text Source: Advaita Vedanta Library

The disciple said:
1. In the indivisible Satchidananda whose nature is only unconditioned, and which is also the non-dual state, how is worship prescribed?
2. Where is the invocation (avahana) of the Fullness, and the seat (asana) of the All-supporting How is there washing of the feet (padya), offering of water (arghya) and sipping (achamana) for the limpid and Pure One?
3. How is there bathing (snana) for the Immaculate, and clothing (vasa) for the womb of the universe? How is there a sacred thread (upavita) for Him who is without lineage and caste?
4. How is there sandal paste (gandha) for the Unattached, and flowers (pushpa) for the Odorless? What is the jewel (bhusha) of the Undifferentiated? What ornament (alamkara) for the Formless?
5. What use of incense (dhupa) for the Spotless, or of lamps (dipa) for the Witness of everything? What is here the food-offering (naivedyam) for Him who is satiated only with His own bliss?
6-7. How does one prepare betel (tambula) for the Rejoicer of the universe? He whose nature is self-luminous consciousness, that Illuminator of the sun and other stars, who is sung by shrutis, how is there for Him the light- waving ceremony (nirajana) What circumambulation (pradakshina) for the Infinite? What prostration (pranama) for the non-dual Reality?
8. For Him who is unknowable by the words of the Vedas, what praise (stotra) is prescribed? How is there the ceremony of dismissal (udavasana) for Him who is established inside and outside?

The Guru said:
9. I worship the symbol of the Self (atmalinga) shining like a jewel and situated in the heart-lotus within the city of illusion, with the ablutions (abhisheka) of the unsullied mind from the river of faith, always, with the flowers of samadhi, for the sake of non-rebirth.
10. I am the One, the Ultimate. Thus one should invoke (avahayet) Lord Siva. Then one should prepare the seat (asana), that is thinking of the self-established Self.
11. I have no contact with the dust of virtue and sin. Thus should the wise one offer washing of the fet (padya), that is such knowledge destroying all sins.
12. One should pour forth tha handful of water which is the root - ignorance held from time without beginning. This is verily the water- offering (arghya) of the symbol of the Self.
13. Indra and other beings drink only the tiny fraction of a drop from the waves of the bliss ocean of Brahman. That meditation is considered as the sipping (achamana).
14. All the worlds are bathed verily by the water of Brahma's bliss which is indivisible. That meditation is the ablution (abhishechana) of the Self.
15. I am the light of Consciousness without any veil. This thinking is the holy cloth (sad vastram) of the symbol of the Self. Thus should think the wise one.
16. I am the thread of the garland of all the worlds which are in the nature of the three gunas. This conviction is verily considered here as the highest sacred thread (upavIta).
17. This manifold world mingled with numerous impressions is supported by me, and by no other. This meditation is the sandal paste (chandana) of the Self.
18. With the sesamum-flowers in the form of renunciation of the activity of sattva, rajas, and tamas, one should always worship (yajet) the symbol of the Self, for attaing liberation while living.
19. With the non-dual Bel leaves devoid of the triple distinction between the Lord, the guru, and the Self, one should worship (yajet) Lord Siva that is symbol of the Self.
20. One should think of His incense (dhupa) as the giving up of all impressions. The wise one should show the lamp (dipa) that is the realization of the luminous Self.
21. The food-offering (naivedyam) of the symbol of the Self is the big rice pudding known as the egg-universe of Brahma. Do drink the sweet nectar of bliss that is the delightful beverage (upasechana) of Mrityu or Lord Siva.
22. One should remember that cleansing the remnants of ignorance with the water of knowledge, is the washing of hands (hasta prakshalana) of the pure symbol of the Self.
23. Giving up the use of the objects of passion, this is the chewing of betel (tambula) of Lord Siva, the supreme Self who is devoid of the attributes beginning with passion.
24. Knowledge on one's own nature of Brahman, most shining, and burning to destruction the darkness of ignorance, that is here the waving of lights (nirajana) of the Self.
25. The vision of the manifold Brahman is the ornament (alamkritam) with garlands. Then one should remember the vision of the all- blissful nature of the Self, as the handful of flowers. (pushpanjali).
26. Thousands of Brahma's mundane eggs revolve in me, the Lord, whose nature is immovable and steady like a heap. This meditation is the circumambulation (pradakshina).
27. I am verily worthy of a universal salutation. Apart from my true Self, none is so worthy of salutation. This reflection is verily here the salutation (vandana) of the symbol of one's own Self.
28. The idea of the unreality of duties is termed as the saintly act (sat kriya) of the Self. Thinking of the Self as being beyond names and forms, this is the praise of his name (nama kirtana).
29. The hearing (shravana) of that God is the thought of the unreality of things to be heard of. The reflection (manana) of the symbol of the Self is the thought of the unreality of things to be reflected on.
30-31. Knowledge of the unreality of things to be contemplated upon, is the deep meditation (nididhyasana) of the Self. Devotedness to the Self by the absence of all delusion and distraction, is named the perfect steadiness (samadhi) of the Self; and not delusion of one whose mind rests on something else. This is called the eternal reposeof the mind (chitta vishranti) in Brahman itself.
32-33. Thus performing till death or even for a moment this worship of the symbols of one's own Self, which is expounded according to Vedanta, one who is well concentrated should give up the illusion of all bad impressions, as dust from the feet. Having shaken off the mass of ignorance and pain, one attains the bliss of liberation.

Maya Panchakam << Home >> Nirvana Dasakam

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Jesus said, "I am the way, ...no one comes to the Father, but through me." (John.14:6)

I have often pondered over this one, as I have belived for many years that all religion says the same thing. Then a wonderful thing happend that helped me understand this a little more.

I found out about Sikhi. For the first time I read Gurbani that instead of concentrating on 'do this and don't do that' endevored to show that religion is much more simpler than we belive.

Guru ji teaches us that indeed we do need intersetion to 'come to the father'

The bit missed out in the quote from the Bible above reads '...and the truth and the light...' Man that sounds very Sikh to me.

If all Gurus share the same jot, that is the same light of divinity, can it not be said then that all of Gods prophets share the same jot?

Are all Gurus there to show us the way? Indeed Gu and Ru, the light bringer, the one who sheds light on our ignorance, the blessed teacher, who shows us the truth.

Imagine then would the above qoute look out of place in Guru Granth Sahib. Could Nanak ji not have procliamed:

'I am the way and the truth and the light, and nobody comes to the father, but through me.'

Without fear of contradiction? I belive that he could have, don't you?

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Dear All,

There is only one Faith/Dharma of righteousness on this earth – to truthfully obey the Eternal Laws of Mother Nature/Divine Will. This should become an individual's internal "law," to which obedience must be given if he aspires to live in accordance with the Absolute Creative Principle. Guru Nanak ponders about it in Raag Basant;

ਏਕੋ ਧਰਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜੈ ਸਚੁ ਕੋਈ ॥ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਪੂਰਾ ਜੁਗਿ ਜੁਗਿ ਸੋਈ ॥

Ayko Dharam Dirrhai Such Koyee, Gurmat Pooraa Jug Jug So-ee.

Let everyone grasp the truth that there is only one sole faith of righteousness. One guided by the Master, age after age stays perfect.-----Guru Nanak, Raag Basant, AGGS, Page, 1188-15

Cordially,

Virinder

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Could Nanak ji not have procliamed:

'I am the way and the truth and the light, and nobody comes to the father, but through me.'

Without fear of contradiction? I belive that he could have, don't you?
On the contrary, you will NOT find such egotistical statements made by the Guru.

For example, this is what you'll get to read and hear:-

ਮਃ
मः १ ॥
Mėhlā 1.
First Mehl:

ਚਿਲਿਮਿਲਿ ਬਿਸੀਆਰ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਫਾਨੀ
चिलिमिलि बिसीआर दुनीआ फानी ॥
Cẖilimil bisī▫ār ḏunī▫ā fānī.
The extravagant glamour of the world is a passing show.

ਕਾਲੂਬਿ ਅਕਲ ਮਨ ਗੋਰ ਮਾਨੀ
कालूबि अकल मन गोर न मानी ॥
Kālūb akal man gor na mānī.
My twisted mind does not believe that it will end up in a grave.

ਮਨ ਕਮੀਨ ਕਮਤਰੀਨ ਤੂ ਦਰੀਆਉ ਖੁਦਾਇਆ
मन कमीन कमतरीन तू दरीआउ खुदाइआ ॥
Man kamīn kamaṯrīn ṯū ḏarī▫ā▫o kẖuḏā▫i▫ā.
I am meek and lowly; You are the great river.

ਏਕੁ ਚੀਜੁ ਮੁਝੈ ਦੇਹਿ ਅਵਰ ਜਹਰ ਚੀਜ ਭਾਇਆ
एकु चीजु मुझै देहि अवर जहर चीज न भाइआ ॥
Ėk cẖīj mujẖai ḏėh avar jahar cẖīj na bẖā▫i▫ā.
Please, bless me with the one thing; everything else is poison, and does not tempt me.

ਪੁਰਾਬ ਖਾਮ ਕੂਜੈ ਹਿਕਮਤਿ ਖੁਦਾਇਆ
पुराब खाम कूजै हिकमति खुदाइआ ॥
Purāb kẖām kūjai hikmaṯ kẖuḏā▫i▫ā.
You filled this fragile body with the water of life, O Lord, by Your Creative Power.

ਮਨ ਤੁਆਨਾ ਤੂ ਕੁਦਰਤੀ ਆਇਆ
मन तुआना तू कुदरती आइआ ॥
Man ṯu▫ānā ṯū kuḏraṯī ā▫i▫ā.
By Your Omnipotence, I have become powerful.

ਸਗ ਨਾਨਕ ਦੀਬਾਨ ਮਸਤਾਨਾ ਨਿਤ ਚੜੈ ਸਵਾਇਆ
सग नानक दीबान मसताना नित चड़ै सवाइआ ॥
Sag Nānak ḏībān masṯānā niṯ cẖaṛai savā▫i▫ā.
Nanak is a dog in the Court of the Lord, intoxicated more and more, all the time.

ਆਤਸ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਖੁਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਖੁਦਾਇਆ ॥੨॥
आतस दुनीआ खुनक नामु खुदाइआ ॥२॥
Āṯas ḏunī▫ā kẖunak nām kẖuḏā▫i▫ā. ||2||
The world is on fire; the Name of the Lord is cooling and soothing. ||2||

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Point taken Namjap ji however do you not see this:

'By Your Omnipotence, I have become powerful.' as being slightly egotistical?

Beside the point I was making is that in Sikhi we know that we need Guru to reach God, I belive that the quote from the Bible is merely saying the same thing.

The actual words used may be read as egotistical, but are they really in the context I have suggested? Or is it Jesus just telling us the truth, you can't reach for God with the help of thoes that God has sent to help you.

What does Guru ji mean when he says that that God has made him powefull? Seen on it's own it to can certianly be read as egotistical, it says 'I am the man' However as we know you really can't segment Guru Granth Sahib, you must read the whole to glean the meaning. Perhaps then a reading of the whole of John 14 in the Bible may change you mind about whether that single line is egotistical?

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Lee Ji,

Sorry for using the word egotistic. Maybe a more reasonable word can be suggested.
Thousand Apologies.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Lee Ji,

Sorry for using the word egotistic. Maybe a more reasonable word can be suggested.
Thousand Apologies.

Heh Namjap ji,

Please sir no need to applogise, we can only ever say how we see things, and we all see things differantly. Once again I am reminded of what divirse peoples God has choosen to populate this world with. Personly I celebrate this divirsity as just one example of Gods greatness, for some reason it truely make me happy.

May 23, 2009
Dear NamJap ji ,
I have consulted Prof. Sahib Singh,s translation Of:ਮਨ ਤੁਆਨਾ ਤੂ ਕੁਦਰਤੀ ਆਇਆ
मन तुआना तू कुदरती आइआ ॥
and it is not: By Your Omnipotence, I have become powerful.
Prof Sahib Singh translates ਹੇ ਖ਼ੁਦਾ!) ਤੂੰ ਤੁਆਨਾ (ਬਲਵਾਨ) ਹੈਂ, ਮੈਂ ਤੇਰੀ ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਨਾਲ (ਜਗਤ ਵਿਚ) ਆਇਆ ਹਾਂ। (My Lord)You are Omnipotent,It is with thy grace that I have come to this world.
Respectfully,
Satnam Singh Randhawa

satnamji - I removed it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
मन तुआना तू कुदरती आइआ ॥
and it is not: By Your Omnipotence, I have become powerful.
Prof Sahib Singh translates ਹੇ ਖ਼ੁਦਾ!) ਤੂੰ ਤੁਆਨਾ (ਬਲਵਾਨ) ਹੈਂ, ਮੈਂ ਤੇਰੀ ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਨਾਲ (ਜਗਤ ਵਿਚ) ਆਇਆ ਹਾਂ। (My Lord)You are Omnipotent,It is with thy grace that I have come to this world.
Respectfully,
Satnam Singh Randhawa

This seems like a better translation, not only word to word but meaning to meaning as well.

Lee Ji started the conversation and Satnam Ji brought out the true meaning.

Thanx to both of you.

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
To All SPN jis
In my studies of the many religions of the world, I've sought to find the 'link' that will lead me back to the one ancient religion that all people practiced when we were still but a single 'tribe'.
Though I'm not a Hindu - and I can see how you might consider it vulgar or insulting, or as something shameful to have be a part of your Holiest Practices; I will never believe that, at least at one time or another in the most distant of pasts, both the Lingam and Yoni represented Genitallia.
This I base on the fact that all of the most ancient beliefs, including the one(s) that Hinduism - though most Ancient itself - evolved from, had, at their hearts, at the core of their philosophies and practices, a strong element that was intended to Guarantee the continued Fertility of the Earth Mother Godddess, and Sky Father God.
You can see a thing similar to a Lingam in the Incan Temple Machu Pichu (and we know that one represented an 'Earth *****'; because the sexless Jesuits smashed all of them but that one, in all of the other 'Rain God/Goddess' Temples that they came across; which had Rites preformed by the same Priests who were responsible for the distribution of water througout the very advanced Irrigation Systems that many of probably 'pan-pacific' cultures employed - like in 'pre-historic' Malaysian and Indonesian Peoples, for example); you can see the entire Male 'Genitil Complex' - aka: including Testicles - in the Graineries of the Dogon People of Africa, who also 'annoint' them (in their case with a mixture of Blood, Mlik, and Millet); and, if you were to go back to Ancient Rome, you'd see *****es aplenty!
I think that a perfectly natiral inclination towards modesty has crept into you beliefs; but then I would not be ashamed to ensure the Fertility of the Earth by pouring Good Things over a Symbolic 'Earth *****' - or into a symbolic 'Earth Vagina'.
Maybe that's just me though!:crazy:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਮਾਰੂ ਮਹਲਾ
मारू महला १ ॥
Mārū mėhlā 1.
Maaroo, First Mehl:

ਮਿਲਿ ਮਾਤ ਪਿਤਾ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਕਮਾਇਆ
मिलि मात पिता पिंडु कमाइआ ॥
Mil māṯ piṯā pind kamā▫i▫ā.
The union of the mother and father brings the body into being.

ਤਿਨਿ ਕਰਤੈ ਲੇਖੁ ਲਿਖਾਇਆ
तिनि करतै लेखु लिखाइआ ॥
Ŧin karṯai lekẖ likẖā▫i▫ā.
The Creator inscribes upon it the inscription of its destiny.

ਲਿਖੁ ਦਾਤਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਵਡਿਆਈ
लिखु दाति जोति वडिआई ॥
Likẖ ḏāṯ joṯ vadi▫ā▫ī.
According to this inscription, gifts, light and glorious greatness are received.

ਮਿਲਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਗਵਾਈ ॥੧॥
मिलि माइआ सुरति गवाई ॥१॥
Mil mā▫i▫ā suraṯ gavā▫ī. ||1||
Joining with Maya, the spiritual consciousness is lost. ||1||

ਮੂਰਖ ਮਨ ਕਾਹੇ ਕਰਸਹਿ ਮਾਣਾ
मूरख मन काहे करसहि माणा ॥
Mūrakẖ man kāhe karsėh māṇā.
O foolish mind, why are you so proud?

ਉਠਿ ਚਲਣਾ ਖਸਮੈ ਭਾਣਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
उठि चलणा खसमै भाणा ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Uṯẖ cẖalṇā kẖasmai bẖāṇā. ||1|| rahā▫o.
You shall have to arise and depart when it pleases your Lord and Master. ||1||Pause||

ਤਜਿ ਸਾਦ ਸਹਜ ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਈ
तजि साद सहज सुखु होई ॥
Ŧaj sāḏ sahj sukẖ ho▫ī.
Abandon the tastes of the world, and find intuitive peace.

ਘਰ ਛਡਣੇ ਰਹੈ ਕੋਈ
घर छडणे रहै न कोई ॥
Gẖar cẖẖadṇe rahai na ko▫ī.
All must abandon their worldly homes; no one remains here forever.

ਕਿਛੁ ਖਾਜੈ ਕਿਛੁ ਧਰਿ ਜਾਈਐ
किछु खाजै किछु धरि जाईऐ ॥
Kicẖẖ kẖājai kicẖẖ ḏẖar jā▫ī▫ai.
Eat some, and save the rest,

ਜੇ ਬਾਹੁੜਿ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਆਈਐ ॥੨॥
जे बाहुड़ि दुनीआ आईऐ ॥२॥
Je bāhuṛ ḏunī▫ā ā▫ī▫ai. ||2||
if you are destined to return to the world again. ||2||

Ang 989

May 23, 2009
Dear Nam Jap Ji,
to continue with the rest of the shabad:
He adorns his body and ress in silk robes. saj kaa-i-aa pat hadhaa-ay. Purmwieis bhuqu clwey ] He issues all sorts of commands. furmaa-is bahut chalaa-ay. kir syj suKwlI sovY ] Preparing his comfortable bed, he sleeps. kar sayj sukhaalee sovai. hQI paudI kwhy rovY ]3] When he falls into the hands of the Messenger of Death, what good does it do to cry out? ||3|| hathee pa-udee kaahay rovai. ||3|| Gr GuMmxvwxI BweI ] Household affairs are whirlpools of entanglements, O Siblings of Destiny. ghar ghummanvaanee bhaa-ee.
|| 990 || pwp pQr qrxu n jweI ] Sin is a stone which does not float. paap pathar taran na jaa-ee. Bau byVw jIau cVwaU ] So let the Fear of God be the boat to carry your soul across. bha-o bayrhaa jee-o charhaa-oo. khu nwnk dyvY kwhU ]4]2] Says Nanak, rare are those who are blessed with this Boat. ||4||2|| kaho naanak dayvai kaahoo. ||4||2|| Thanks.
SAtnam Singh Randhawa

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
AusDesi Ji

Referring back to the Gita I can not find that remark either. It must have been a too terse condensing of chpt 2 verses 26-28. My bad. However it caused me to reread much of the Gita and that is its own reward and something I should do regularly. Although it is not a part of my scriptures it is an excellent guide or "how to" to apply the philosophy I try to live by.

Om shanti shanti Om
Satyaban

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM