Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Difference between Gurbani & Gurubani?

Discussion in 'Gurmat Vichaar' started by singh is king, Feb 22, 2008.

1. singh is king

singh is king Australia
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I wonder if somebody would like to enlighten me about the difference between "Gurbani" and "Gurubani"

Thanx in advance

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Difference between us and the Gurus? Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Dec 25, 2014
    Hinduism Difference between Sikhi and Bhakti Hinduism Interfaith Dialogues Mar 5, 2014
    Islam What Is Difference Between Sikhism And Islam - Dr. Zakir naik Interfaith Dialogues Jun 16, 2013
    1984 Vast differences between Jallianwala Bagh and 1984 Bluestar History of Sikhism Aug 1, 2012
    What is the difference between a knife and kirpan? Questions and Answers Jul 3, 2012

3. Sardara123

Sardara123
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Re: Gurubani & Gurubani

I think it is just like

Dadi Ma says Wahguru
    Nani ma says Waheguru

for those who dont know punjabi- dadi ma is- dad's mother, nani ma is mom's mother

4. singh is king

singh is king Australia
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

well sardara123 my thought is same as of you. But I shocked to hear different from so called sikh scholar that is why I made this thread. I wonder nobody is willing to answer my question. I posted this question in great hope. I dont know why spn ....

5. Archived_Member1

Archived_Member1
    Expand Collapse
    gone to greener pastures
    SPNer Supporter

i've never heard of any difference... is there a difference between Gurdwara and Gurudwara?

is there a difference in the spelling when written in gurmukhi, or is it a matter of transliteration?

6. Sara

Sara
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Some grammar... Gur is the oblique form of Guru, and the oblique is also used as possessive, so Gurbani means Guru's bani.
    So the correct way to write it is Gurbani, not Gurubani.

Hope this made some sense.

7. Sara

Sara
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

It's the same difference as i wrote above. And it's also the way it's spelt in gurmukhi.

8. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Re: What is the difference between Gurbani & Gurubani?

singh is king ji

It is Gurbani -- and Sara has given the linguistic explanation for this. Why not post an example of where you saw this with the surrounding context so we can take a look and see what might be going on? I sounds to me as if someone did not understand the idea of the oblique form as Sara explained.

I had a second thought. The person may be trying to say Guru's Bania -- but unsure of the 's rule. This is very hard when learning English.

9. singh is king

singh is king Australia
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

10. Archived_Member1

Archived_Member1
    Expand Collapse
    gone to greener pastures
    SPNer Supporter

:rofl!!:

why am i not surprised. :)

seriously, why worry about what some tankhaiya says... listen to Guru, not apostates. :)

11. Pyramid

Pyramid
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Aytay ras sareer ke kay ghat naam nivaas

Tuhada Das
    Yograj

12. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

its not kala afghana....at all.
    Its those who are trying to EQUATE whatever is OUTSIDE the SGGS with whatever is INSIDE SGGS.
    SGGS is OUR one and ONLY GURU....whatever the SGGS contains is GURBANI. WHY ? Simply because SGGS is GURU (Jyot of all ten nanaks and many others whose Bani is contained therein)
    However..we have FOUR NANAKS (human Form) Guru Hargobind Ji, Guur Har rai Ji, Guur Harkishn Ji and Guru Gobind Singh Ji whose "writings/utterances/etc are NOT contained in SGGS. Inspite of this FACT...the SGGS is still COMPLETE GURU and was GURTA gadhi by Guru Gobind Singh Ji in 1708 at nanded. NO OTHER have this right to gurgadhi/Guruship/Equality.

Banis from OUTSIDE SGGS are used at Khandeh batte dee PAHUL (initiation_ ceremony of KHalsa SINGHS. This PAHUL is ALWAYS given in the TABIAH of the GURU -SGGS ( Without the GURU Present no such Pahul can take place even if the Panj are ready.

Based on this PAHUL ceremony soem people are trying to EQUATE and raise those "banis" to Level of SGGS - they invented the word "GURU-bani" (coming from the mouth of Guru - that is Guru Gobind Singh Ji to differentiate from the GURBANI in SGGS which is our DEFACTO GURU Jugo jugg Attal. The Banis used at Pahul are holy, and part of the Nitnem of a Singh and in the SRM....BUT they are NOT at PAR with GURBANI of SGGS.
    Secondly these same people then raise another RED HERRING...they coem up with the imaginative and seemingly innocent questions like..IF bani of Guur Gobind Singh ji is NOT "Gurbani as per SGGS"..then how come BHATT bani written by soem bhatts who are NOT GURU are called GURBANI and contianed in SGGS ?? Same goes for Bhagat banis, Farid Banis etc etc.
    The Answer to such red herring troublemakers/blasphemers is..Every Single word in SGGS has been put there by GURU ARJUN JI and then by GURU GOBIND SINGH JI. The Mundawni Mh 5 is the SEAL of Guru Ji and 1708 Gurgadhi is by GURU JI.
    Whatever GURU JI left outside SGGS is INTENTIONALLY DONE...whatever writings not accorded GURBANI status no matter who wrote them is also INTENTIONALLY done by GURU JI. Those banis are for the PAHUL Ceremony and for NITNEM. Lets leave them that way.
    ONLY the SGGS is Rock SOLID and proven with Guru Jis Mundawni Seal and Gurta in 1708....not a single word can be changed or altered even BY the KHALSA PANTH..unlike the SRM/NITNEM etc....which can be changed and has been done before.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

13. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

I do not know why this is such a difficult concept. You explained it straight up and based on historical realities. There is an entire thread on BHATT Bani going on right now where your thinking might be clarifying.

14. Harjas Kaur Khalsa

Harjas Kaur Khalsa
    Expand Collapse

Don't attack the fundamentals of the Sikh faith. Be careful of what you are doing.

15. singh is king

singh is king Australia
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Yes, SGGS Ji our living Guru but you cant deny Guruship of other ten Gurus. If banis of four Gurus are not contained in SGGS it does not affect their guruship.

But am still waiting for the answer, difference between Gurbani and Gurubani. In the video KA clearly stated that there is a differnce. I personally believe there is not any difference. Is there any differnce between Gur asees or Guru asees? NO. Gur chela, Guru Chela. like "Waho Waho Guru Gobind Singh aape Gurchela". If some pronounce Gurchela as Guruchela does it make difference? I think similarly there is only pronunciation difference between Gurbani and Gurubani. In Punjabi culture there are several pronunciations available for one particular word. Like a Punjabi name Gurditt means Guruditta, Gursharan : Guru Sharan.

I think

Gurbani: Guru's bani

Gurubani: Guru's bani

So, where is the difference?

I may be wrong, please enlighten me.

Also, what is the meaning of Gurbani? It will be really great if you explain this according to Punjabi grammatical composition i.e. word formation in Punjabi gramattical way?

16. singh is king

singh is king Australia
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

If someone start to misleading people Seriously it is a matter to worry.