• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Diet/Multivitamin Pills

Jun 2, 2007
India
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Respected Aman Singh Ji

Thanx for starting this forum on health.
I really wonder, can multi-vitamin pills compensate for the deficinecy in diet. I rather like to take multivitamin pills instead of having balanced meal!

View/suggestions of respected members are welcome.

Regards

Please forgive me

I really wonder, can multi-vitamin pills compensate for the deficinecy in diet. I rather like to take multivitamin pills instead of having balanced meal!

Regards

Please forgive me

NOOOO!!!! dont do this or think this :shock:

It is worrisome the way you put it…please eat well:

Multi-vitamins can supplement vitamin intake only …should never be a replacement of natural intake of vitamins, minerals and amino-acids through a balanced diet.

Multi-Vitamins capsules are only a generic mix…nothing else. Without a proper diet you put yourself at much more risk…and you should not take comfort in the fact that you can supplement your unbalanced diet with a multivitamin-tablet. (You also need other minerals and AMINO-ACIDS)….vitamins are just one part of a healthy diet.

The vitamins we need are usually incorporated into the foods we eat…this is called fortification of foods. Vitamin deficiency diseases are relatively rare in people living in developed countries or generally in “above the poverty line” individuals.

Whether you have a deficiency in a particular nutrient or vitamin can only be deduced through a blood test.

Consult your local physician

And eat well…nothing beats a good diet.

cheers

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
gurvinder ji was being a little facetious. Some times some people just dream of the day when they can get everything they need in a pill, not be hungry, and then just forget about shopping for food, cleaning, preparing, and cooking it -- then watching everyone eat in 4 minutes, and then after that you have to clean up again. Same thing every day, day after day.

So a pill would be my wish also.

Canuck Singh

SPNer
Jun 13, 2008
Can UK

Respected Aman Singh Ji

Thanx for starting this forum on health.

Regards

Please forgive me

Multi-vitamins are an important and emerging part of an individuals whole well being. Although certain foods are fortified with certain vitamins, the unfortunate side of the story is years, literally centuries of refining food for commercial purposes, and environmental impact on soils reduces the amount of active nutrients/vitamins that are available via 'natural' food intake.

In today's world, if you fore go the use of multivitamins you are enhancing your risk of premature memory loss, dementia, Alzheimer's, mild cognitive impairment, parkinsons, heart disease amongst others.

Although Mega-dosing on vitamins is not the answer, it is quite clear that the RDAs are not up to scratch with the latest research in this very technical area.

Also, perhaps mentioned already, multivitamins act synergystically when other components of well being are consumed alongside. For example, athletes or individuals who exercise have a greater demand for nutrients and minerals, while individuals who are ill or poorly have an equivalent demand for increased nutrients to enhance health. However, they act synergystically with nutrients such as amino acids from protein, certain fats, and anti-oxidants.

What is the verdict? Unless you live in pure un-touched nature, and like many here are surrounded by smog filled cars, artificial chemicals in foods and in our homes, consume refined and nutrient deficient foods, consider taking at least 1 high quality multi vitamin a day. :up:

gurvinder ji was being a little facetious. Some times some people just dream of the day when they can get everything they need in a pill, not be hungry, and then just forget about shopping for food, cleaning, preparing, and cooking it -- then watching everyone eat in 4 minutes, and then after that you have to clean up again. Same thing every day, day after day.

So a pill would be my wish also.

Antonia Ji,

If you want to spice things up, I could give you the name of such a “pill”… That won’t make you or your family hungry (or sleepy) for a good 32 hours…but…I doubt you would approve of it…considering it has some creepy side-effects, like making you think that you’re one of Santa’s elves whose behind schedule on a toy order. :rofl!!:

mmmm…desoxyn…yum!

or you could wait for obestatin to hit your local pharmacy. :wink:

Anyways, my shtick aside:
I love food: I like thinking about food, I like to dream about food, I love the grocery store (it’s the most welcoming place on the PLANET) And most importantly I love stuffing my face with yummy stuff! In fact the time of day when im the most jovial is when I am feeding myself or about to be fed :shy:…like an infant, my eyes start to twinkle, and my tongue swells up whenever I see my next meal! …savory and sizzling

Going to a capsule would be a lifestyle downgrade…ATROPHY OF the tastebuds! :down:
+all that free time not thinking about cooking or feeding yourself would certainly lead to depression (well at least in me).

But I see your point and Gurvinder Ji’s point…it can be tedious at times

cheers

Jun 2, 2007
India

Respected Sinister Ji and Canuck Singh Ji

Thanx for the valuable information on vitamin pills. I really wish like respected aad0002 Ji for a PILL in lieu of eating food all the time!

Then we will be able to spend more time on SPN:)

Please forgive me

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
i would wish for enough food for all

there is no better joy than having a stomach full of savories we love

sinister..we share a common love :)

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
Sat Nam, everyone! A subject near and dear to all, for we all have to eat!
I can thoroughly understand the desire for a pill instead of food, for I often have to be reminded to eat. I get so busy I literally forget! I also approve of vitamin and mineral supplements. So many of our soils have had the nutrients leached out of them by bad farming methods, that the food does not have the nutritional value it may have 50 years ago.

I would love it if we were able to all shop at local farmers' markets everyday for fresh produce, or could grow our own foods, however, yes, that does take time out of the day, indeed! However, maybe that might be such a bad thing. Right now, our lives are so busy, so fast paced, that it takes your breath away just to think about it all!
Is this really the way to live?

When was the last time you woke up one day and literally had no where you had to go, no one you had to meet, and nothing you had to get done THAT DAY- a complete day off?
Think about it!
You could, on such a day,
go over to Gurdwara and be with Guru as long as you like
read a great book
draw, sketch, paint, bake, do some pottery
write (not email) a letter or two
visit a library or museum and stay as long as they are open
take a walk or a hike
go swimming
cook a lovely dinner and have family and friends over to enjoy it all with you
all kinds of things, whatever you like!
So, maybe we can start to consider the gift that healthy food really is!

As always, when thinking about which supplements to take, use your discernment and common sense. Pay attention to what your body tells you.
Please read labels on food items- whenever you see things like Canola oil, high-fructose corn syrup(which is addictive, since it turns off the brains signal to quit eating when full), MSG (mono-sodium glutimate), Nutra-Sweet (aspartame- which is cancer-causing), Splenda, Equal, and any and all diet foods, stay away from them.

Hope this helps!
Wahe Guru,
KulwantK

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: