• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Did Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale Ji Ever Get The Respect He Deserved As Sikh Martyr

riceboy89

SPNer
Jan 5, 2007
Re: Did Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale ji ever get the respect he deserved

They sent the Army with tanks and artillary to wipe out everyone present, selected a day with large crowds of pilgrims, old people and children. The Army did severe damage to Akal Takht as a sign of Indian Government authority, and attacked 40 major Gurudwaras at the same time. They imposed complete martial law, blackout of the press and heavy propaganda since that day. It was an attack on Sikhi, not Sant Ji. As can be highlighted in the fact that since Sant Ji's death in 1984, hundreds thousands Sikhs were arrested, tortured, murdered and disappeared.

It's said the end result is your true intent.....it is clear that annihilation of Sikh identity into Hindu by brutal force was the true intent.

Sant Ji left a legacy of dignity in the midst of the greatest horrors. He stood his ground against overwhelming odds, and fought back like a tiger.

YouTube - Sons of Guru Gobind Singh 1984 recollection

Funny how anyone in India who wants freedom from oppression, justice, human rights is branded a terrorist and genocidally attacked. This is true of Sikhs, Muslims, Dalits, Kashmiris...What is sad is even after the obvious horror of Congress Party, people still give credibility to their justifications for oppression.

YouTube - 1984 Indian State TERRORISM against minorities

Sant Ji was RIGHT!
image77.gif
indira_gandhi.jpg

Human Rights in the World's Largest Democracy.

wjjk wjjf

ive been doing alot of reading about the events surroinding the 1984 attack on the golden temple. i 100% support what Harjas Kaur Khalsa has posted above. there were multiple other solutions to flush out bhindranwale, but is that really the case the indian army had in their mind? for example, a seige on the temple would have beeen a viable solution. some say "but the golden temple has food supplies to support thousands of sewadars that come every day." this is true, however the indian army could have isolated the langar hall and kitchen from the main temple complex. what baout the hundreds of sikhs that would have converged on the army if a seige was put into place? to answer that, note how many police officers including the punjab police and crp were distributed in the punjab area. they could have beefed up police presence even more and kept a strict curfew could they not?

this was an attack on the sikh faith, not on sant bhindranwale. despite my parents views on him, which state he was a chayla of indra ghandi, i believe he was an exceedingly honorable man. i can say with confidence that if i were alive in that time period, i would have joined his cause in a heartbeat. when he died, the foundation of khalistan was laid, however the rest of the sikh population was too hell bent on pointing fingers to the indian administration to continue the seperist movement, thus failing in making khalistan.

i dont mean to offend anyone in my post, however if i did maa mafi mangda

sikh84

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
nairobi
Re: Did Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale ji ever get repect

Sat Sri akal to all

Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale was a true martyr and defender of the sikh religion. No he did not get the respect he deserved. I have witnessed alot of bias against sant ji from my fellow sikh friends to the extent that some actually have the audacity to state that sant ji was the reason sikhism underwent turmoil in the late 80's and early 90's. How blind they truly are! I went to a bookshop here in Nairobi recently ( a hindu punjabi owner) after I learnt they stock some books on sikhism. When I asked him whether he had any publications related to Operation Blue Star (not the Gen Brar Book as I can never waste my time on blasphemy) he looked at me in utter shock and stated " those are forgotten subjects". His tone of voice was surprisingly aggressive. "Forgotten"? How do we forget the killing fields of Harmandir Sahib; the genocide in Delhi; destruction of our beloved Akal Takht, the list is never ending. I was understandably very upset and told him off. I am least surprised at this callous attitude from non sikhs towards sant ji but get very perturbed when our very own feign ignorance at the very mention of his name. Sant ji will never be forgotten by us , and it is upon us to educate and reason with those around us, so that they too see the light.

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

T. Singh

Feb 14, 2006
Re: Did Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale ji

"Baba Jarnail Singh Ji is one the greatest Sikh Parchaarik (preacher) of the 20th century. Baba Jarnail Singh Ji is one the greatest Sikh Revolutionist of the 20th century. Baba Jarnail Singh is on the greatest Sikh Shaheed of the 20th century."

Panthic Weekly: An inspiration for all Sikhs

"Our Ardaas in front of Akaal Purkh is that, "May truth and justice prevail. May the thousands of Sikh youths rotting in Indian Jails without trial or case since 1984 be released and that the Sikhs are protected from false allegations, illegal detentions and distorted propaganda which paints Sikhs as terrorists and criminals. Let us remember those who laid down their lives for our today and became shaheeds (martyrs) during one of the darkest periods of recent Sikh history. May we as a nation, perform this Ardas in all Gurdwaras and homes worldwide till true justice is availed."

http://www.panthic.org/news/129/ARTICLE/1421/2005-06-12.html

sikh84

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
nairobi
Re: Did Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale ji ever get the respect he deserved

ssa
sikh history is replete with struggles for freedom, justice and equality. The endless list of martyrs who sacrificed their yesterday for our today is unrepresented in any other faith. truth is high , higher still is truthful living. Sant Jarnail Singh ji Bhindranwale laid down his life for this very cause.

wjkk wjkf

Dec 2, 2007
Re: Did Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale ji ever get the respect he deserved as sikh ma

is Savt Jarnail singh ji the only 'sant' or 'bana' who has attined shaaheedi now thinkin about it isnt he the only 'sant' or b'aba' who didnt allow metha tekh before himself and he didnt do kachi bani like Ranjit (doesnt deserve Singh) were where these 'babas' and why arnt they helpin the panth the now

Apr 27, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Re: Sant Baba Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale- TRUE SAINT SOLDIER

Sant Baba Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale was considered a fanatical Khalistani manipulated by Indian Army under Indira Gandhi government. Today he would be labeled a terrorist, period. I e-mailed Hardev Singh Shergill, Sikh Bulletin director and he has always been under great pressure coming from Akal Takhat and Jathedar Singh against Kala Afghana who dared to face those in charge of SGPC. It's sad to say power corrupts and total power corrupts totally (quoting Lord Acton).

I have no opinion about Sant Jarnail Bhindranwale but I admire Hardev Singh Shergill in his fight to defend Singh Sabha movement.

Last edited:

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London

Sant Baba Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale was considered a fanatical Khalistani manipulated by Indian Army under Indira Gandhi government. Today he would be labeled a terrorist, period. I e-mailed Hardev Singh Shergill, Sikh Bulletin director and he has always been under great pressure coming from Akal Takhat and Jathedar Singh against Kala Afghana who dared to face those in charge of SGPC. It's sad to say power corrupts and total power corrupts totally (quoting Lord Acton).

I have no opinion about Sant Jarnail Bhindranwale but I admire Hardev Singh Shergill in his fight to defend Singh Sabha movement.

I don't think it is right or accurate to portray Sant Baba Bhindranwale as a Khalistani as such. He never made Khalistan his cause but simply said that if Harmandir Sahib was attacked it would lay the foundation for Khalistan.

Apr 27, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Akand Paath is one more Hindu influence took borrowed from that religion and incorporated into Sikhi as a faith item and absolutely irrelevant. It's hard to keep original Gurus' heritage free of alien influences.

Apr 27, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Re: Did Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale ji ever get the respect he deserved as sikh ma

All Al-Qaeda soldiers are also considered shaheed when they die and so what? They're criminals anyway. Let's be careful to avoid mix bravery and commitment with Gurbani and dirty political game. In India politics is so complex even a an educated native has some difficulty to understand it fully.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London

Akand Paath is one more Hindu influence took borrowed from that religion and incorporated into Sikhi as a faith item and absolutely irrelevant. It's hard to keep original Gurus' heritage free of alien influences.

Coming from a society which was largely illiterate and had little time for literacy, I think the Akand Paath was/is a very good way of keeping scripture reading alive. Otherwise the less sophisticated brothers and sisters would be in danger of simply revert to treating SGGS as a focus point of worship like an idol with superficial concern about the contents.

Apr 27, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Dalsingh ji,

Akand Paath still remains a sign of a illiterate society. In Brazil as well as in India those oral traditions just keep popular religiosity alive. Of course they're believers but can't distinguish true doctrine from gross superstition. Similarities between India and Brazil are so great I can make this comparison without fear to commit a big mistake.

Is there any justification for such ritual in a literate society like UK? I don't think so but that country is home to all sort of extremism and religious sectarism mainly because Britons can't offer a melting pot to accommodate diversified cultures.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London

Dalsingh ji,

Akand Paath still remains a sign of a illiterate society. In Brazil as well as in India those oral traditions just keep popular religiosity alive. Of course they're believers but can't distinguish true doctrine from gross superstition. Similarities between India and Brazil are so great I can make this comparison without fear to commit a big mistake.

Brazilian Kaur

I understand what you're saying. Personally I have a feeling this is the result of the turmoil of 1700s. When people faced extinction in the earlier part of the century due to Moghul policies and invasions from Persia and Afghanistan. A stronger emphasis was then (I believe) placed on warriorship for obvious survival reasons. This relegated literacy or sophisticated study for the majority, who learnt to fight and memorise bani as second nature. Even if they couldn't give any in depth exposition of the scripture. But to be frank, Panjabi peasantry (who form the bulk of the Sikh population in India) have never really taken to education en masse even to this day (by this I mean studying for knowledge and not for career prospects). But I'm not complaining - The action they took ensured the culture survives to this day - so three cheers for them! Hooray.

These practices DO however serve a purpose. Buying a new house and having an akhand paath or Sukhmani sahib paath can help to foster a more positive atmosphere in the house, even if this is just a perception thing in the mind of the individual or family. What I don't agree with is the increasing habit of families to have akhand paaths on say their children's graduations or birthdays without really having an overall interest in Sikhism. But you have to factor the social aspect of such activities for people. For the older generation, most, if not all of their social lives outside of home took place in the Gurdwara.

Is there any justification for such ritual in a literate society like UK? I don't think so but that country is home to all sort of extremism and religious sectarism mainly because Britons can't offer a melting pot to accommodate diversified cultures.

I understand what your saying but like I said previously, they serve a good purpose. If you came from a foreign land to a hostile environment, it is the "rituals" or traditional practices that can help in times of crisis to give some semblance of normality or continuity to life.

I agree with your analysis of British multiculturalism. It is crazy. I think the indigenous are split between accepting other people and their ways and a growing group which detests foreign nonwhite things, especially those that are eastern. I often am really surprised at how people in America seem to more interest in Sikhi than the British, but this is generally an irreligious place. Having lived here nearly all my life I feel like these people are very confused about what they want and which direction to go. I personally still believe that many institutes here operate on pseudo imperialistic lines. The media is a blatant example of this, where non white Britons are frequently demonised and made to be objects of hate. I think academics refer to this as "othering."

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Jios,

I am a little lost at this point. Somehow, akhand path and Sant Jarnail Bhindranwale became connected in the thread topic. Maybe I missed something?

Agreed, the oral tradition would have the effect of keeping awareness of Guruji front and center in an illiterate society.

But please explain,

Why not Akhand Paath in a literate society? Why not oral tradition in a literate society?

How is the continuous recitation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib something of a hold-over Hindu tradition or ritual?

I can think of at least a half-dozen reasons to continue with the akhand paath, all of which are supported in Gurbani itself.

Apr 27, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil

My dear dalsingh,

We have lengths of good conversation ahead not only about rites in threshold events that are really meaningful albeit non intellectual and the weirdo Britons. UK sounds so crazy and boring I'd never made any effort to visit that country. Ask anybody who came to Brazil and please insist in the difference they realized between our flexibility towards different cultures and that of UK. The difference is blatant.

Did you know there are more Muslims in Brazil than in Canada (600,000) and they are so well absorbed in our great cultural melting pot they keep a low profile. In UK there isn't agreement except regarding the monarchy (absolutely unintelligible for me as an institution for the XXI century). Middle East and India/Pakistan mess are just leftovers of incomplete and disastrous decolonization. The least they could do is to receive all former colonies' population as their own people but they never had that grandeur. Englishmen dislike all non-white people and even white with a non-British ancestry. Just pay attention to their food; it never evolved since celts and is still a symbol of their lack of imagination.
I'm white, caucasian and of mediterranean ancestry (Italy/Spain/Portugal) but nonetheless like people from Indian subcontinent (the classification is merely geographic due to my academic background).

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

(quote)
All Al-Qaeda soldiers are also considered shaheed when they die and so what? They're criminals anyway. Let's be careful to avoid mix bravery and commitment with Gurbani and dirty political game. In India politics is so complex even a an educated native has some difficulty to understand it fully.

Brazillian Kaur ji,
With due respect, [text removed, not necessary in a civilized discussion.]

How can you even compare "Baba Jarnail Singh ji and his fight " with Al queda? What are you thinking? Before making any conclusion one must understand the reason and causes behind any battle fought. When he was alive, not a single human bomb was used to kill innocents, that alone sets him a far away to compare with any terrorist group. You have to look deep into a situation he was and why people surrounded him? Most of his lectures were responses to politicians who betrayed public. Many tried to mislead him. He never set up a battle against independent state at all. He was just asking fair treatment for Sikhs, what was wrong with that? He stood against Indira who wanted him to dance to her tunes, he stood against all corrupt leaders of the time. Youth started feeling good being Sikhs; however, nothing was preached against India or any one. A lot of things happened. The only thing that angered some Sikhs was his stay in Harminder Sahib Complex otherwise he was well respected not as a savior but as a fair, honest and person of morality. Center and other corrupt leaders took him as a threat to their power and existence. He was very different than any Sant or Baba in this century.I am just amazed at your thinking........

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Jarnail Singh Bhindrawala has been a controversial figure because there is a mixed bag of opinions about him. What is being shared here are just viewpoints which are likely to contradict. This doesn't put one viewpoint more superior than the other.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004

Sant Baba Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale was considered a fanatical Khalistani manipulated by Indian Army under Indira Gandhi government. Today he would be labeled a terrorist, period.
It has been discussed over and over again on the forum but still the saga goes on . The reason is that many things are too unclear and cant be approached acurately
So their are many view points the one you mentioned is also one of them.

About Akhand Path . Yes it seems very similar to the practice in Hindus where they read their scripture over and over again and also calls it Path of Ramayan or so forth

Literacy has hardly any relation to it in my opinion nd if it does have then Literate society also needs this to remind them of their culture atleast

Any thing Hindu in Sikh culture is wrong and corruption is wierd Idea to say the least .Hindiosm has been a Religion in loose term though for many many years and has served as instruments to crores of people to keep thier comitment to GOD for what so ever reason

So how can Hindu influences be always wrong . is the HINDU religion man made and Sikhism Godly .. Its the same God who created Hinduism also created Sikhism so my Little brain fail to comprehend such categrisation

Akhand path done by Pathi /Baee ji and not listened by anybody is now the NORM at all places Inclusing very Sofisticated Countries Like UK . and yes It seems Wrong but still serves the Cultural thing of reming the people of their Guru . Thinhgs could be added to it to make more sense out of it rather than scraping the practice all together

Like Sehag path could be done by members of family taking turns at the pace they can do it comfortably and the Bhog ceremony could be done at the End as ususal

Thanks

Jatinder Singh

Dec 7, 2006

WJKK, WJKF

Sant Ji is FINALLY getting a modicum of the respect he deserved.

The unveiling of his picture in Harminder Sahib as an immortal shaheed is evidence of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWv9WGasPz8

The script below his picture is poignant and apt;

"The great Sikh General of the 20th Century, the 14th chief of the Damdami Taksal, Sant Giani Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale, who along with numerous valiant Sikhs attained martyrdom on Wednesday, the 6th of June, 1984, fighting against the Indian Armed Forces for the honour and prestige of Sri Harmandar Sahib and Sri Akal Takht Sahib."

Sant Ji was the subject to a character assassination of a massive scale by the criminal Indian government and right wing, neo fascist, Hindu factions.

It is up to us to bring the truth about him into the mainstream.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM