• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Did Guru Nanak Really Have The Need To Read The Veds And Ketabs

Jun 14, 2004
London
Dear peeps,
My personally opinion on this is Guru ji did not have the need to read the vedas, shasaters, purans or the ketabs. The reason being is guru ji was nirankar himself. Meaning god manifested his attributed in Guru Nanak (but not god) just like a drop of water becomes one in an ocean. If u read the nitnem written by Harbans Singh Doabia ( yes the little red book with english transalation) he amply requasts, all the guru of the sikhs to stick to the panth by our divine teachers and kindly ignore all other man made gospals.
if u read the japji sahib carefully we come to the conclusion that:

1) Guru of Guru Nanak Dev Ji is the one god

2) As said before, the attributes of god was manifested to guru nanak dev ji which strongly agrees he was all the truth, had no trace of egoism and was perfeCtly in tune(yes in tune, not merged as most people believe) with god only.

3)The guru of all of us is the jot or the divine spirit i.e god's light and not the bodies of the ten gurus, althuogh thier bodies were most blessed, beacause the divine spirit of the creator was enshrined in them.

Here is a var from sothi balvand (not sure about spelling)
"The light in all the gurus was the same, thier ways and the sermons were the same, the divine gurus had simply changed the body"

So Guru ji did not have the need to read other scriptures. just because it is mentioed in books tht guru ji was taught the veds and ketabs does not assume he was influenced or inspired by earlier scriptures. It was only to show the world, remember guru ji was litiriate in 9 languages or even 14 as most books say. This is enough proof to show that sikhism is a distinct and seperate religion.

what are ur thuoghts?

regards

lion king

Jul 13, 2004
UK
Guru Nanak is not God. Or not at least God in his entirety. What you are saying is not clear to me... But from my understanding it goes like this:

God is the sea, you and me are droplets of water in that sea, Guru is a bucket of water from that sea, and that same water is pored into different containers... So same knowledge, different form. Current form is Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Remember the teachings of the Gurus were acceptable to both Hindus and MUSLIMS - Muslims strictly believe in a God who is free from form, Islamic tawheed is based around the idea that as soon as you can think of what God is or even imagine God - IT IS NOT GOD.

~CaramelChocolate~
The little philosopher

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
CaramelChocolate said:
as soon as you can think of what God is or even imagine God - IT IS NOT GOD.
Gurbani says clearly that God is not something which can be perceived with the use of human senses.

Japji sahib: Keep on thinking and thinking about Him, one can not get hold of Him. No kind of meditation can give you a feel of what He is about. No matter how wise a human is, this is useless to limit Him in some boundaries. A person who understands 'Bhanan Man'na' i.e. follows the 'Hukam', only that kind of (Naam) kamayee i.e. earning is going to go alongwith one in the next journeys.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Loin king

What I think of what you are saying is like this

Ved and kteb are the bsically discription or way of realising the god so Personalities like ( Guru Nanak) who already has realised GOD doesnot need to read any discription as he has himself witnessed the AKAL PURAKH So you are right that Guru nanak need not read any ved and kateb

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: