• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Dassera : The Garland Of Slavery

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
I tried to look deep into why this festival is celebrated by still so many sikhs.

Why do we have to put garlands on cars, house doors (mostly to show our hindu neighbors how hindu we have become) , and ofcourse one special garland on "idol of Guru Nanak" .

But I couldn't find much about why sikhs celebrate dussera. It finds no mentioned on any sikh website , except maybe the fact that hazur sahib "sikhs"(?) behead a sacrificial goat on this day and put the blood of innocent animal on historic weapons . See how sikh is this :)

So , we need to introspect why we continue to celebrate this brahminical festival which finds little mention in sikhism ?

PS : Diwali is bandi-chhor diwas for us, so we have a reason to celebrate "diwali" . What's dassera ?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I tried to look deep into why this festival is celebrated by still so many sikhs.

Why do we have to put garlands on cars, house doors (mostly to show our hindu neighbors how hindu we have become) , and ofcourse one special garland on "idol of Guru Nanak" .

But I couldn't find much about why sikhs celebrate dussera. It finds no mentioned on any sikh website , except maybe the fact that hazur sahib "sikhs"(?) behead a sacrificial goat on this day and put the blood of innocent animal on historic weapons . See how sikh is this :)

So , we need to introspect why we continue to celebrate this brahminical festival which finds little mention in sikhism ?

PS : Diwali is bandi-chhor diwas for us, so we have a reason to celebrate "diwali" . What's dassera ?

I live in the UK, when Christmas comes, Sikhs tend to celebrate it together with the rest of the country, if you lived in Dubai, you would probably celebrate Eid with your neighbours, if you lived in Iceland you would probably get involved in whatever local festivities that were taking place.

I find no issue with Sikhs celebrating festivals from other religions, its polite friendly behaviour, idol worship is common in Sikhism, the SGGS is seen by many as a the giver of gifts if certain rituals or ceremonies are carried out, that is not going to change for a while, unfortunately it is the common denominator in society, of which neither you or I belong to., let them do what they do, it is our own actions and thoughts we need to be concerned with ,.

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
I live in the UK, when Christmas comes, Sikhs tend to celebrate it together with the rest of the country, if you lived in Dubai, you would probably celebrate Eid with your neighbours, if you lived in Iceland you would probably get involved in whatever local festivities that were taking place.

I find no issue with Sikhs celebrating festivals from other religions, its polite friendly behaviour, idol worship is common in Sikhism, the SGGS is seen by many as a the giver of gifts if certain rituals or ceremonies are carried out, that is not going to change for a while, unfortunately it is the common denominator in society, of which neither you or I belong to., let them do what they do, it is our own actions and thoughts we need to be concerned with ,.

this must be one of your loveliest answers ever .
I would say this then is a sign of virtue among sikhs, that we mingle wherever we go .
I was almost being a fanatic. Thanks for balancing me out lol.

and that idol worship of SGGS is also true . because worship is easier than understanding and even more difficult is applying it in real life

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
because worship is easier than understanding and even more difficult is applying it in real life

Its easier to engage in empty ritualistic and perhaps mind-less behaviour, than reflect on the deeper meaning behind things.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM