• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Dasam Granth Veechar Gosti - Gurdwara Ranjeet Nagar, Kanpur

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
and that too 30 years of parroting... in the end when he recites a shabad at an express speed and asks the other Singh to tell the meaning, made the mockery of the whole debate...

Kully

SPNer
Jan 3, 2016
I watched the video (in several sittings), and I found it quite enjoyable, and I would express my gratitude at the President of the Gurdwara for keeping it civil and well-controlled.

Some interesting points made by both sides. One part that stuck in my mind most was the guy who lauded himself as doing kirtan sewa, but couldn't pronounce the shabad correctly. But probably the fact that both main speakers were debating in the spirit of brotherhood. Concerning Gurpreet Singh reading the shabad fast, I think he was just testing Kanwarpal Singh to see if he could catch a few words here and there and recognise the shabad. But Kanwarpal Singh's attempt to use a phone to look up a shabad was really poor. People who are well-versed in Gurbani have no problem with this.

But a good start. Let's hope there are more of these.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
One part that stuck in my mind most was the guy who lauded himself as doing kirtan sewa, but couldn't pronounce the shabad correctly. But probably the fact that both main speakers were debating in the spirit of brotherhood. Concerning Gurpreet Singh reading the shabad fast, I think he was just testing Kanwarpal Singh to see if he could catch a few words here and there
In similar manner when I questioned one of my close friend how come Mohammed(PBUH) had sex with six years old girl(aysha), his answer he was testing it.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
What was he testing exactly?

Reciting a shabd at an express pace by parrot memorizing for over 30years does not make someone a scholar. Likewise, just not being able to recite a shabd clearly does not make the understanding of the that person any lesser.

What was Gurpreet testing? except for proving that how good a parrot he himself is?

Kully

SPNer
Jan 3, 2016
Surely the mark of the scholar would be be able to give an explanation of the shabad he had been parroting for the last 30 years? I'm sure that Gurpreet Singh would have been able to do so.

But the kirtani who had been parroting the shabad for the last 30 years was not even able to say it properly, so what exactly was this kirtani parroting for the last 30 years?

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
But the kirtani who had been parroting the shabad for the last 30 years was not even able to say it properly, so what exactly was this kirtani parroting for the last 30 years?

If you listen to him carefully again, he never knew what came before or after the lines he recited all his life... and kirtaniyas in this day and age have been reduced to a mere job, which they simply perform like a parrot... but once in a while somebody cares to look beyond plain recital and delve deep into the meanings of what s/he has been reciting without understanding all her/his life... So, you should not judge him for her/him present state of understanding comparing it to her/his past understanding. Can you put the same question to Guru Amardas Sahib, who followed all the meaningless pilgrimage and rituals before coming to Sikhi fold and becoming a Guru at the age of 63?

Point being, without understanding mere knowledge is worthless... and it applies to Gurpreet, the kirtaniyaan, yourself, myself and everybody else.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Kully

SPNer
Jan 3, 2016
Can you put the same question to Guru Amardas Sahib, who followed all the meaningless pilgrimage and rituals before coming to Sikhi fold and becoming a Guru at the age of 63?

Before he came to Sikhi, why not? After Guru Ji came to sikhi, then what would be the need to this question?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM