• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Dancing And Gurbani

(Read the main post first) Would you "dance" to kirtan? Explain.

• Yes...

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • No...

Votes: 35 74.5%
  • I don't listen to kirtan...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure...

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I dont know about dancing dervishes who do that to "get to a higher plane"...
But I came across these Dancing Khalsas on U-Tube...and they definitely are on a "HIGHER PLANE" already..
Prabhu's Blog: Izzat Da Punjab
YouTube - Bhangra Performance - Izzat da Punjab
YouTube - Bhangra Dance at Friend's Wedding

They are Named Izzat DA Punjab ( which is grammatically wrong but who cares anyway) Enjoy them as I did...:happy::welcome: These Khalsa have given a new dimension to Bhangra - Clean as a whistle !!:ice:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
The question is, are the songs in these videos Gurmat. Are they in line with Gurbani?

To what I heard they are speaking about worldy desires and attachment to worldly desires. Doesn't Gurmat say to stay away from these things!
Singh ji
All these videos is a display of Punjabi culture, the participants prove how much they can get expert in it to obtain applauding in their favor. It has nothing to do with Gurbani or the name of the thread.:(

Singh ji
All these videos is a display of Punjabi culture, the participants prove how much they can get expert in it to obtain applauding in their favor. It has nothing to do with Gurbani or the name of the thread.:(

Thanks G Singh ji, but another question arises, but has nothing to do with this thread, What is Punjabi Culture????? What is the point of Punjabi Culture??????? Alot of people claim to be apart of it, but when asked what the point is of Punjabi Culture there is a blank face and a long silence. For example Sikhi has a culture and this culture has a purpose.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Thanks G Singh ji, but another question arises, but has nothing to do with this thread, What is Punjabi Culture????? What is the point of Punjabi Culture??????? Alot of people claim to be apart of it, but when asked what the point is of Punjabi Culture there is a blank face and a long silence. For example Sikhi has a culture and this culture has a purpose.

Culture is a face of groups of people who have similar habits, ceremonies and traditions, any thing comes in its way, it runs over including religion. If any member goes against it, he or she is disliked by cultural elite. I had my share in this regard. In Punjab, people are living more culture than the religion.:rolleyes:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I agree..in Punjab..people are more into culture than sikhi....this is saw first hand at several weddings i attended...the "Marriage Palace" was a whole day affair..of dancce/song/food and liquor...while the REAL WEDDING..the ANAD KARAJ in the Gurdwara was a very very low key affair with just the family memebers..and that too the ones who wanted to go...the others didnt even know...UNLIKE in malaysia where the Anad karaj in the Gurdawra is the Main event ( at least for the Morning) where the Girls side are all invited......with Path da Bhog/Kirtan/Ardass and guru ka langgar for the entire sangat .....later on evening dinner etc happen outside the Gurdwara..and the Boys side celebrate on their own a day later with either Path da bhog in Gurdawra followed by dinner/dance outside venue...what i am saying is the GURDWARA is involved about 95% compared to the Punjab where it is about 5% !! GURDWARA and 95% Bhnagra /marriage palace food Mela.

2/ Vasakhi is also turning MORE into a cultural thing than a religious celebration..more so in the Diaspora...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Singh ji

The videos actually feature Izzat da Punjab which is a dance troupe of 3HO Sikhs. 3HO has been gradually introducing aspects of Punjabi culture into the culture of 3HO. And that is because they consider Punjab to be their spiritual homeland and want to integrate Punjabi cultural experience with their own. To be fair -- many of the current generation of 3HO have studied at Miri Piri Academy in India and lived in India where the food, music, dance, fashion and language were constantly around them. So bhangra was never left behind.

Also interesting is that in the diaspora, bhangra is very popular. All you need to do is google "bhagnra contest" and you will see that there are dozens of North American bhangra teams, typicaly made up of college students who compete with other college teams.

The videos actually feature Izzat da Punjab which is a dance troupe of 3HO Sikhs. 3HO has been gradually introducing aspects of Punjabi culture into the culture of 3HO. And that is because they consider Punjab to be their spiritual homeland and want to integrate Punjabi cultural experience with their own. To be fair -- many of the current generation of 3HO have studied at Miri Piri Academy in India and lived in India where the food, music, dance, fashion and language were constantly around them. So bhangra was never left behind.

Also interesting is that in the diaspora, bhangra is very popular. All you need to do is google "bhangra contest" and you will see that there are dozens of North American bhangra teams, typicaly made up of college student who compete with other college teams.

Aad ji alcohol also is very popular not just with punjabi culture, but majority of the world. There are also alcohol drinking competitions in punjabi culture.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Siingh ji

That of course would leave me cold/out in the wilderness so to speak. Because I don't drink. Gives me a headache.:D

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sahdu ji

Nothing is wrong with dancing. :rolleyes: The thread used to be in Gurmat Vichaar under the title Dancing to Gurbani. It was moved to interfaith dialog section on purpose so that it would be possible to compare different faiths -- some have dancing as part of their devotion and others do not. Read the entire thread -- if you have time -- there are some very good posts and conversatons, videos too. You will find it very enjoyable and relaxing. Some of these even made me want to dance. So I did. :up:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
My Favorite Sikh Bureaucrat

March 19th, 2009 by Reema Source: thelangarhall.com

Harpal Singh Kapoor, Director of Miami-Dade Transit, must be the coolest bureacrat in all of Florida. At a recent office party he not only showed off some mad bhangra skills, he taught his non-Punjabi colleagues some skills too, to the beat of a live dhol.

YouTube - Harpal Kapoor and his Bhanga Skill

I know there are some purists in the audience who think that bhangra might not be a good way to promote relations with Sikhs because it’s Punjabi culture, not Sikh, etc. … but I disagree.

Music and dance are a universal language. Kapoor probably already knows his office staff, and so he’s not a stranger to them, but unless they do bhangra in the office, they probably don’t get a chance to connect across the conference table like you can in response to the beat of a dhol. Connecting on that most basic human level, in response to music, reminds people that underneath our exteriors we’re all the same. And if they DO do bhangra in the office, then I’m moving to Florida to join their staff.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I would too IF I could...and who says you "have" to drink alcohol to bhangra..?? I DONT touch the stuff.Never have and never will. The "kick" I get out of Gurbani is enough to make me fly all day long..and night too...:happy::welcome::ice::ice::ice::ice::ice::ice::ice::ice::ice::ice::ice::ice::ice:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Gyani ji

There is a video on YouTube called Learn to Bhangra in 7 Days -- taught by a Babay -- and it is actually good exercise if you don't over do it.

Jan 7, 2009
I don't think there is any harm in dancing to Keertan. Just the fact that the hymns of our Guru's make you feel so alive is amazing. When the vibrations of Keertan reach my inner being I find my self swaying side to side and singing along :ice:. As of yet I don't seem to have offended anyone. Everyone has their own relationship with God.Some take it very serious and some just let it be. Whatever it is must come natural and musn't be critisized. I believe encouragement and praise are very important when it comes to practicing any religion. Not dancing to Keertan won't make you understand it any better nor will it make the Almighty unhappy.The fact that you are listening and understanding is what matters,and that makes the Almighty happy.

Just my thoughts.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: