• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Spiritual Daily Amrit Vela Blog - Difficulties, Joys, Methods Of This Practical Journey To Self Discovery

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Thanks Lucky Ji, it's very soothing listening to it. The video is really cool as well ...

Harry Ji, hope everything is ok.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Missed Amrit Vela last night... i don't even remember waking up during the night.

Maybe i was just too physically tired after playing football.
I never use an alarm clock. A quick ardaas before bed asking god to wake me up at whatever time he wants me to do my simran, usually always gets me up naturally between 2am and 3am.

Maybe God knows himself when it's best that we just sleep and recover physically.

still i feel this deep inner feeling of something missing this morning, like my soul needed it's nourishment. Listening to japji Sahib now sitting at my work desk...will try and get some simran/meditation in at some point during the day.

God bless

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I am at a crossroads Chazji, if I go down your road, a part of me will die, and if I go down my road, a part of me will never be born, hope that makes sense
orangeturban.png

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
THE CROSS ROADS... i think i was there once ... sometimes i glance back at the cross road (when meeting many old friends, family - a connection to what my life was like - the old me)

... many of them seem to be going as they were, drinking, partying, the same old arguments with each other, new conflicts with others...chasing after "SUCCESS", whatever that means to them...and i sit there feeling like "This doesn't feel like me anymore, i don't seem to have the desire to talk like them, or how i used to talk, my views, feelings have changed.

But my mind says "go back to the old ways, you were having a blast, drinking, going out, providing fuel for conflicts, slandering...it was so much fun"

i think i realize now, the crossroads was just a tug of war between my soul and my mind, now that 'i think' i've past that war...i've realised i still enjoy the company of old friend, family - just in a different way.

But now i have new friends that challenge me in new ways - new interests that have blossomed through my Simran like Tai Chi, an inner feeling to eat healthy, fresh food, cooking,

So now you're at the cross roads... how you move forward ji is up to you ... just follow your heart (and not your mind)

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
For the Sangat, some good articles about Naam Simran.

Some thoughts
As in a dream, we get engrossed in the dream world - for a duration of time, it is our home, our conscious existence.

Then in a flash we awaken, awaken to the reality of ourTrue selflying in bed. Is there more to us than what we currently perceive as being our reality - is this me, or is there more to me! Do i need to awaken one more time?

A Guide to Naam - Simran
http://www.info-sikh.com/PageNaam1.html

Discovery of Self through Naam-Simran
http://www.bahaistudies.net/asma/naam-simran1.pdf

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
The weekend is here
orangeturban.png

There was a time not so long ago...a weekend would spell going out friday and saturday, getting drunk, and then nursing a hangover on the sunday...

Now the thought is to spend some good time with the wife and family/friends, but also an opportunity to spend some longer time doing simran during amrit vela

where once 20 minutes of simran was a battle with boredom, tiredness and laziness...

Now there is a joy at spending 1-2 hours meditating on shabad, time almost disappears...i find myself in Guru Ji's domain where all is in His hands.

God Bless.

Sian Haller

SPNer
Dec 5, 2011
Essex, UK
I have not meditated for maybe 20 years, if you could call it meditation, it certainly had no structure, I would just sit quietly and focus my thoughts inwards and try to find the peace and balance that we all have inside us to help you with the things on your mind, I would certainly like to rediscover this, but I seem to have lost that peace inside me, my mind seems cluttered with rubbish, it would be nice to find that place again

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Chazji

what can I say brother, ok, I tried meditating, I played the youtube videos, I am sad to say its not for me, i tried, I really really tried, but it just did not do anything for me. However, I am glad I tried it, and I can certainly understand why people do it, and if anything the whole experience has made me a lot more tolerant on the subject. From an inner cleansing point of view, I think it absolutely has its benefits, I think if it works for you, great, your experiences are all lovely to read, I will carry on reading and contribute if I have positive things to say,

orangeturban.png

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
PREFACE:The following reconfirms my personal experience / knowledge of daily naam simran, under the loving guidance / direction of my spiritual teacher / mentor - (the key being total faith, limitless patience & above all avoiding all skeptic people). I sincerely hope this will help theTRUE SEEKERS!

>>>THE SIKH WAY = regular SEVA + SIMRAN + SANGAT !<<<

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”
Naam Simran

"Naam Simran is the Sikh way of
meditation. It is such a deep subject
that it cannot be entirely explained
theoretically. It needs to be
experienced through undergoing a
practical endeavor. Success depends
purely on earnestness of the
practitioner and most of all onGuru’s
grace.

As we start this journey we face a lot
of difficulties. Some are related to the
lack of faith; others are merely due to
the lack of knowledge and proper
techniques. Naam Simran is Guru’s
Hukam. Different people describe
different ways to do it. This is an effort
to facilitate this learning process."

What is Waheguru Simran and how its different from meditation ?

"Waheguru" means God. "Simran" means Remembering.

So "Waheguru Simran" means "Remembering God"

To understand how we remember God, let’s take some examples. While Waheguru Simran is quite different and much more blissful, these examples just help us how it works. A mother always remembers her child.

Wherever the child is, her attention is always there. It means that a mother is doing Simran of her child. The child is in her memory. Is she doing something to remember her child. No ! This is automatic. Its her love for the child that keeps the simran live in her heart. Similarly we all do Simran of our loved ones – a wife remembers her husband or the vice versa. A businessman remembers his deals. Literally, Simran means to remember.

Is Waheguru Simran a physical activity ?
Although we chant the Name of God with our tongue, but ultimately it goes into our sub-conscious mind. To keep it simple, it’s both a physical activity and state of mind.

How is it different from other forms of meditation ?
In other forms of meditation, the subject is not God. While Waheguru Simran is based on concept of God.

Intensity and depth of Waheguru Simran is much more that other forms of meditations. If you have to go to top of building, you either use stairs or the elevator. You have to climb the stair yourself and one by one. But elevator takes you to the top without any effort on your part. Other meditations are like stairs but Waheguru Simran is like the elevator. And it can take you where other meditations cannot reach. When you do Waheguru Simran, you are not alone, power of Waheguru is with you on every step of the way.

Other forms of meditation may be good for your body and to certain extent to your mind; but Waheguru Simran covers all parts of your body, mind and soul. It changes your personality. It removes all negative things from your body, mind and soul and leaves you pure and perfect. It reunites you with your power within and with power of God. Waheguru Simran gives you all joys of life - divine knowledge, money, salvation from birth and death, pleasures of body, good health, great qualities, sharp mind, fearlessness, calm mind, courage, love for this world, perfection in everything you do, etc.

Impact of other forms of meditation does not last long. If you stop doing it, everything becomes same again. Waheguru Simran is eternal. The power of Waheguru dwells in your body, mind and soul forever.

Is it a religion ?
There is only one God. We may give Him different names, but He is the same. We do Simran of that one God.

-http://sikhismfaq.com/index.php?acti...d=4&artlang=en
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NAAM ABHIYAS WITH MASKEEN JI

Sant Singh Ji Maskeen is telling us about Waheguru Simran, how to do it, what are various stages, what are the benefits.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Thank you Harry Ji, Thanks for trying.
Please keep reading the Blog, and if nothing else you know you have the support of this blog, all the information in it, and the effort you already have put in as support if you ever need it again.

good luck on your journey ji

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Thank you Soul Jyot Ji,

Very nice description of Naam Simran.
I must say that i agree with the remembrance of Waheguru.

Since i have been doing Simran on a daily basis during Early hours, i have noticed that during my daily tasks my mind seems to always be focussed on Waheguru...I am thinking about God all the time.

This seems to create yearning throughout the day, sometime a little sadness...

because of this yearning throughout the day, it seems to keep me away from wanting to get involved in mundane petty arguments with people, getting angry, desiring things etc etc A feeling of wanting to forgive people when i can, and to move on from these mental shackles that keep me in the past.
The yearning kicks me out of bed at night ... i look forward to closing my eyes and going within.

Is this Naam Simran at work, fighting the effects of Ego, Anger, lust, greed, desire? etc?
orangeturban.png

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I didn't meditate today. Today is the 3rd anniversary of the passing of my father-in-law. He died around 4am. It's a bit eerie sitting there in the pitch dark to meditate on regular days, but today was particularly creepy, so although I got up I only contemplated Japji Sahib instead of meditating first. It's so easy to get caught in a paurhi and before you know it you've stopped reciting and you're exploring the idea the paurhi is presenting.

It may be slightly off-topic, but Japji Sahib almost feels hypnotic/meditative in itself.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
You are correct !!
I also find it hypnotic and meditative like you mention.
Sometimes the bani will be resonating in me all day long even though I do the Japji sahib first before any waheguru simran.
On a lot of nights I find that I may also wake up with the noise of my own voice as I will be uttering certain tuks of the Japji Sahib !!!
No other bani has this same effect with me, and I think it's the whole poetic and rhyming shabad of Japji sahib that settles very perfectly in that super comfort zone.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Hi Ishna,

It's all simran
orangeturban.png

When i wake up early enough, i like listening to japji sahib before waheguru meditation... but i want to start reading it like yourself and contemplating a paurhi at a time etc.

I think what you're doing is great...keep it up.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
All my life i was interested in the 'unknown' ... unsolved mysteries...lost civilizations...space...aliens...

So when i read Gurbani like below it took my breath away
orangeturban.png

true inspiration to explore, to seek, to find answers in a place i least expected,

Full Shabad:http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=3601

Maya, the Trapper, has sprung her trap.
The Guru, the Liberated One, has put out the fire.
When I came to understand this mind, from the tips of my toes to the crown of my head,
then I took my cleansing bath, deep within my self
The mind, the master of the breath, abides in the state of supreme bliss.
There is no death, no re-birth, and no aging for me now. ||1||Pause||
Turning away from materialism, I have found intuitive support
I have entered into the sky of the mind, and opened the Tenth
The chakras of the coiled Kundalini energy have been openedGate.
and I have met my Sovereign Lord King without fear
My attachment to Maya has been eradicated
the moon energy has devoured the sun energy.
When I was focused and merged into the all-pervading Lord,
then the unstruck sound current began to vibrate
The Speaker has spoken, and proclaimed the Word of the Shabad
The hearer has heard, and enshrined it in the mind
Chanting to the Creator, one crosses over
Says Kabeer, this is the essence

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Daily Shabad for Humility

A shabad I read that highlights the great humility that our Guru's had. A shabad which i want to meditate on daily before simran to remind me that God is the only doer...all is him....no Ego, only God.

Only You Waheguru, Only You Waheguru

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=300

You are my Father, and You are my Mother.
You are my Relative, and You are my Brother
You are my Protector everywhere; why should I feel any fear or anxiety?
By Your Grace, I recognize You
You are my Shelter, and You are my Honor
Without You, there is no other; the entire Universe is the Arena of Your Play
You have created all beings and creatures
As it pleases You, You assign tasks to one and all.
All things are Your Doing; we can do nothing ourselves
Meditating on the Naam, I have found great peace
Singing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, my mind is cooled and soothed.
Through the Perfect Guru, congratulations are pouring in-Nanak is victorious on the arduous battlefield of life! ||4||24||31||

Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Although this post is not inspirational in any way, I felt I should share with you, my fellow meditators, my current experiences. I have been howling since friday, and have flatly refused any further meditational experiences, I have no interest in it, however, what I do have an interest in is howling, I sit in my office, in darkness, and allow my mind to run free, well, a part of my mind anyway, it visits every dark corner of my head, relives every disgusting experience I have had, where there is light, it ignores, where there is only the musty, damp fog of darkness, it explores eagerly, impatiently, I can spend hours in this state, I do not wish to come out of it, in the day, I watch films that have meaning for me, I learn the dialogue, I play the soundtracks,

Having read the contents of this blog, I have come to the conclusion that I am in fact a meditator, however, clearly, when I am in this place, it is not Creator or Creation I am meditating on, it is the self, the wolf. I am in fact a better meditator than any of you, but whereas you all look for truth, purity, the smell of clean linen, the sounds of the divine, with a view to finding sanity, what I look for will only end up in my own insanity.

To that end, I now understand and can relate to all your experiences, just from an opposite point of view.

just wanted to add my two penth to an excellent blog
orangeturban.png

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM