Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

copying file for use on another computer

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by winddancer_55@hotmail.com, Jul 28, 2006.

1. winddancer_55@hotmail.com

winddancer_55@hotmail.com
    Expand Collapse

I am fairly new to access use and need to know if there is a way that I can
    safely copy my db for use on another computer where it is accessible for work
    and not "read only" and if so how do I accomplish this? Thank you in advance
    for your assistance.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Opinion Akal Takht concerned on drug addiction, copying during exams Breaking News Nov 5, 2013
    Sikh News Profiled US Sikh Throws 'Know Me' Challenge Breaking News Jul 25, 2016
    Hard Talk Sikh Musician Racially Profiled At US Restaurant Hard Talk Jul 6, 2016
    India Patna man files defamation suit against son for inter-caste marriage Breaking News Jan 6, 2014
    USA Federal hate crime indictment filed in 'savage' attack on cab driver Breaking News Apr 4, 2013

3. Krizhek

Krizhek
    Expand Collapse

You can copy the file onto a usb thumb drive (you can also just run the file
    from the drive)

You can Zip the file and email it. Make sure to extracte the zipped file
    and not simple just open it.

You can burn to a CD and then copy the file onto the computer (althought
    returning it back would require to reburn the file, which means you would
    either have to have a rewritable cd, an additional cd, or make sure that the
    program that burns the cd does not close the cd.

"winddancer_55@hotmail.com" wrote:

> I am fairly new to access use and need to know if there is a way that I can
    > safely copy my db for use on another computer where it is accessible for work
    > and not "read only" and if so how do I accomplish this? Thank you in advance
    > for your assistance.

4. Rick Brandt

Rick Brandt
    Expand Collapse

winddancer_55@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I am fairly new to access use and need to know if there is a way that
    > I can safely copy my db for use on another computer where it is
    > accessible for work and not "read only" and if so how do I accomplish
    > this? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Certainly. An Access file can be moved around just as any other file. If it is
    ending up read only it is because you are using a CD to move it. Prior to WinXP
    all files burned to CD have their read only flags set. You just have to set it
    back after copying from the CD to another PC.

THe above assumes an all-local monolithic Access file. If the file makes links
    or references to other files either on your PC or on the network then all of
    that makes a difference.

--
    Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
    Email (as appropriate) to...
    RBrandt at Hunter dot com

5. Linc

Linc
    Expand Collapse

The Access .mdb file is completely transferable. You shouldn't have any
    problems copying and pasting the file anywhere you like, so long as you don't
    need to start replacing old copies with new copies. Then things get tricky
    and you should look into spittling your database.

If you are copying the file and it's Read-Only then I would check your
    properties.

"winddancer_55@hotmail.com" wrote:

> I am fairly new to access use and need to know if there is a way that I can
    > safely copy my db for use on another computer where it is accessible for work
    > and not "read only" and if so how do I accomplish this? Thank you in advance
    > for your assistance.