• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Converts To Sikhism?

Amardeep

SPNer
Feb 12, 2006
Sath Shri Akaal Jee.

i am working on this schol project, on people converting from one religion to another. so i would like to know how many people apc. have converted to Sikhism, and from which religion they came from.

there must be some info and numbers on the net aaye???...

are there any converts in here?

Thank you in advance..

Dec 8, 2005
This is a strange question.
How can there be convert to Sikhism.

If you have read matematics then the question would be framed as can a subset be part of Set.

To put it it simply how can a universal religion decide to convert .

If it does then to whom would it convert to ?

All living things are product of one God who is worshipped by different names.

koi bole Ram Ram Koi Khudaia , koi seva gosian koi Allahai

love

hps62:) :cool: :star: :wah:

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
hps62 said:
This is a strange question.
How can there be convert to Sikhism.

If you have read matematics then the question would be framed as can a subset be part of Set.

To put it it simply how can a universal religion decide to convert .

If it does then to whom would it convert to ?

All living things are product of one God who is worshipped by different names.

koi bole Ram Ram Koi Khudaia , koi seva gosian koi Allahai

love

hps62:) :cool: :star: :wah:
:up:

Dec 8, 2005
Dear brother

Conversion is a foreign word in Sikh religion.

We are all divine manifestation of one God like the Gias hypotheses.

love

hps 62

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Of course the term "convert" can be applied to some Sikhs. It defines the process of someone who practices religion A ceasing to practice that and instead practicing religion B.

If you can't "convert" from one religion to Sikhism, then either there is no Sikhism or every religion is Sikhism.

I think I understand the meaning of your posts in that no matter the religion, it all boils down to the same one universal creative source. However what is being worshipped is not the question.

My own response... I'm between religions. I was "neo-pagan" for seven years. I have been learning about Sikhism steadily now for nearly a year, but I would not yet call myself a Sikh at any level except perhaps in my heart.

Good luck with your project Amerdeep!

LuluSikh

SPNer
Mar 26, 2008
Hi Everyone!

Im just wondering anyone here living in Ireland?
Im from Ireland, am new to sikhism and am feeling very isolated.
I have been working for months and months on the internal aspects of sikhism and am slowly starting the process of bringing the inside, out!
I'm 17 and the only Gurdwara in Ireland is in Dublin 3+ hrs away from me.
My family is catholic and very aprehensive!!

LuluSikh!!

Apr 4, 2007
Dear brother

Conversion is a foreign word in Sikh religion.

We are all divine manifestation of one God like the Gias hypotheses.

love

hps 62

so are you saying that i was a Sikh when i was an atheist? or that i'm not Sikh now that i've converted? your message is confusing. :)

i know hindus don't believe anyone can convert, they think you have to be BORN hindu. then again, they think EVERYONE is born hindu. :D

muslims also think everyone is born muslim, so they say "revert" rather than convert.

but as far as i know, all of the early Sikhs (with the exception of Guru Nanak Dev ji) converted from another faith. why can people not convert today?

perhaps we're defining the word "convert" differently? i'm not talking in the christian or muslim sense of reaching out and trying to get people to "join". i mean in the sense that people who did not previously practice the Sikh religion have adopted it by their own personal choice.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
you can enrol in a class or a university, but till you open your mind to learning, you donot become a student :)

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Hi Everyone!

Im just wondering anyone here living in Ireland?
Im from Ireland, am new to sikhism and am feeling very isolated.
I have been working for months and months on the internal aspects of sikhism and am slowly starting the process of bringing the inside, out!
I'm 17 and the only Gurdwara in Ireland is in Dublin 3+ hrs away from me.
My family is catholic and very aprehensive!!

LuluSikh!!

LuluSikh Ji,

We have a member named "Sherab" who is about your age (17) and converted to Sikhism. Would be interesting if you guys got talking. Of course, there are many converts who are willing to share their stories as well.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I have a lot to say, but can't get it organized mentally. There are at least 6 different parts to luluSikh's concern. All have to be tackled differently and nothing happens overnight.

Second time around with reactions
I am one of those people who has had a very easy and happy experience as a convert. Each day brings me more deeply in touch with Satgur and the panth. So I could write about the road map of my journey - love that Amarsanghera in your signature. And all of the things I have done could become part of someone else's journey too-- if they wanted to try it out. The problem with this is that life circumstances had a lot to do with the key cross-roads and intersections in my journey: people, location, personal interests, skills, experience, age, and more. So all a person would get from my road-map would be suggestions -- as in try this or try that. I don't see how it could be more than that. 100 personal stories would give a person more ideas but not a lot of direction.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
Journey ~~~~~

I move just around the corner,
Seeking the truth, trusting my senses,
Seeing beyond what i see today.

Gentle strings, invisible but firm, tug me,
My anticipation grows as i step around,
Only to find that i have another turn in the way.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Amarsanghera ji

I have told you before - twice - send your poetry to mags to be published. You are very talented.:star:

And you write poems in Punjabi and English. What are you waiting for?

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
Hi Lulu,
I used to live in Ireland but I moved back to the U.S. so I'm sorry not to be able to help you. Are you in University yet? That might be a good time to go foward. I know how religious Catholic Ireland is; there is this belief that you will go to Hell....
but I am from a secular Jewish family and I cannot believe in a loving God who sends people to Hell....Anyone! I prefer the wisdom and all-embracing love of Sikhism.

Apr 4, 2007
Hi Lulu,
I used to live in Ireland but I moved back to the U.S. so I'm sorry not to be able to help you. Are you in University yet? That might be a good time to go foward. I know how religious Catholic Ireland is; there is this belief that you will go to Hell....
but I am from a secular Jewish family and I cannot believe in a loving God who sends people to Hell....Anyone! I prefer the wisdom and all-embracing love of Sikhism.

this is interesting. i have met so many people who have converted from Judaism to Sikhism. we've had threads before discussing the similarities between the two...

has anyone ever tried Belief-o-Matic? it's a very interesting and educational quiz. it asks a huge variety of questions and then gives percentage matches for all of the major (and some minor) world religions.

i've taken it a couple times, just for fun. Sikhism is always #1 and Reform Judaism is always #2. :) i always found that interesting...

ok, sorry for the diversion, sometimes i can't help myself. :)

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
Jasleen, that's really interesting to me and nice to hear. Could you point me to the old threads Or is there a search function I'm missing?
The internet is really fantastic this way, bringing us together. It certainly has done a lot to spread knowledge, so much material and communication about the sikh religion.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM