Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

"Convert's Corner" - Ideas for Retitle?

Discussion in 'Convert's Corner' started by Ishna, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

When I asked Admin Ji if we could have a space on the forum for people who have embraced the Sikh way of life, the only title I could think of that would get the purpose across succinctly was 'Convert's Corner'.

Admin Ji looked at me sideways as much as to say, "Really?... You can't come up with something better than that? 'Convert' isn't really a term that applies to Sikhi...".

Obviously, with Sikhi, you don't 'convert' per say. It is a process of evolving into a Sikh, identifying as a Sikh, and for the lucky ones, blossoming as an amritdhari full of unmasked and shining jyot. There is no statement you make in front of a witness to pronounce yourself as a Sikh overnight. There is no ceremony to 'convert' to Sikhi. One simply becomes a Sikh.

Perhaps a name for this subforum could be "Becoming Sikhi"? "Sikh Transformations"? "Newly Identifying Sikhs"?

Ideas, please :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Malaysia convert's marriage illegal Interfaith Dialogues Sep 12, 2007
    India Badal to Corner Sarnas in DSGMC Polls over Nanakshahi Calendar Breaking News Jan 5, 2013
    Sikh Foundation The Family Corner - a review on Sikhchic Sikh Organisations Nov 20, 2010
    Heritage Four Centuries in its corners (National Archives India & Slideshow) History of Sikhism Aug 27, 2010
    Arts/Society Shining a light on honour killings' dark corner Language, Arts & Culture Jul 25, 2009

3. ActsOfGod

ActsOfGod
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

This would apply to all of us. We're all on the spectrum somewhere, and by definition a Sikh is always learning, always growing.

Perhaps an appropriate title would be "Discovering Sikhi", since the journey is beginning and the individual is at the start of the process.

[AoG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

To a degree I agree with you - although we already have a 'New to Sikhi' forum.

I suppose part of the intention with 'Convert's Corner' is that it won't just be about the beginning, but the path itself.

5. Kanwaljit Singh

Kanwaljit Singh India
    Expand Collapse
    Apache Spark, Scala developer
    Writer SPNer

First Steps To Sikhi/Guru?

6. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

For some of us we would like to think we're a few more steps in than that :p

7. Kanwaljit Singh

Kanwaljit Singh India
    Expand Collapse
    Apache Spark, Scala developer
    Writer SPNer

ah for me every day feels like a first step :p

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor