Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Converting to Sikhism

Discussion in 'New to Sikhism' started by concious student, Aug 18, 2009.

1. concious student

concious student
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

i need information on converting to sikh as i already have done much research on sikh and the gurus and their teachings

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Basic Questions about Converting to Sikhism Questions and Answers Nov 15, 2013
    Converting to Sikhism Hard Talk Aug 31, 2012
    Why are people converting to Sikhism? Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Jul 1, 2012
    Question About Converting To Sikhism For A Married Person Questions and Answers Jun 3, 2012
    Converting to Sikhism while Living in Isolated Communty Sikh Youth Jun 6, 2011

3. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Re: Converting to Sikh

conscious student ji

I do not want to appear either critical or indifferent in my answer. A person does not actually "convert" to Sikhism in the ordinary sense of the word "convert." There is not mechanism to do this as there is with Christian baptisms or Jewish purification ceremnies. A person just starts. Just delares to the universe one day that I am a Sikh. And then follows through on being more and more each day. There is no Sikhism without Sri Guru Granth Sahib and sangat. So it makes sense to become actively involved and an active participation with other Sikhs -- in online communities and in gurdwara. There are many steps and stages along the path to discovering your original identity. You were always a Sikh; now you want to make it official.

More can be said. Enough for now.

• Like Like x 4
  4. concious student

concious student
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

thank you for your answer it has helped me to continue my path to god

5. deepsingh87

deepsingh87
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

partak in amrit

6. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Amrit is not baptism and does not signify conversion to Sikhism, deepsingh87ji. If a person thinks so, they are importing a Judaeo/Christian ethos into Sikhi. :)

Many who are already Sikhs take amrit sometimes more than once in their lives to deepen the commitment to Sikhism. Amrit sanchar (more properly termed) is entrance into the Khalsa. Yes, there are many who say Not Khalsa, then Not Sikh. This is arguable because there is Khalsa and there are khalsa. Which was Dasam Pita speaking to when he said the khalsa is my guru. We are still debating that.

One has to very carefully consider the responsibility to sangat its spiritual identity and health above all when deciding to take amrit sanchar. And without understanding that commitment we end up having the displays of corruption and hypocrisy that abound and are making Sikhs so pessimistic.

Someone at the very early stages of choosing to adhere to Sikhism has a lot to learn and experience before being self-aware to the extent that he/she can make a righteous decision about amrit sanchar. Think of the trauma to oneself and sangat if the wrong choice was made.

• Like Like x 2
  7. deepsingh87

deepsingh87
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

khalsa is my guru. We are still debating that.

who is debating this? I don't know anyone?

8. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

The debate is whether Sri Guru Gobind Singh was speaking of the Khalsa (those who had taken amrit on that memorable day) or the broad panth as khalsa. Forgive me for not being more articulate.

9. deepsingh87

deepsingh87
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

obviously those who have taken amrit and follow gurus rehat.

• Like Like x 1
  10. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

deepsingh87 ji

Yes there are! :welcome: And my main argument is that a newcomer should not be jumping to the amrit stage until thoroughly aware and willing to accept the serious and heavy responsibility that goes with understanding Guruji's rehat. The rehats that define the code of conduct of a Sikh are precisely that - codes of conduct. Guruji's rehat is not a code.

11. zenfunpeaceandjoy

zenfunpeaceandjoy
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Hello, I am Lenny, nearly 50, a poet, who has been gently directed to Sikhism by unseen forces! In short I am a novice:{;o:!!! However, from what I've seen through tired eyes I like what I see:happy:, and would appreciate some assistance as what steps I should take to learn more about Sikhism. A brief bio:- on my path I have visited Christianity, Buddhism, Bahai, Theosophy and were I am now! I believe in reincarnation, humans return as humans, and animals also remain within their own breed. I firmly believe in Alien life forms from other planets and time dimensions. I meditate and I am a sensitive. I am happily married to a wonderful lady, Nikki, and we have a daughter. I am an activist and a conspiracy truth researcher. And finally, I adore laughter!

Lenny;)

12. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

:welcome:Lenny please take a look at some of the other threads in the New to Sikhism forum where you will find a lot of interesting information. We have another forum member, Lenny, who is a poet. Maybe you will get to know each other through discussions on the threads. :D

13. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Here is the link New to Sikhism

u have already found that section if you are posting in Converting to Sikhism. But there are many threads in that section of SPN that can be helpful to newcomers to Sikhism

14. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar
    Historian SPNer Supporter

Great point.

It would be strange someone who knows nothing about Sikh concepts immeadiatly takes Amrit.

It is like a 5 year old child doing a doctorate. He needs to get the basics before getting advanced.

IMHO, there are too may people with the appearance of Sikhs who run around preaching un-Sikh messages, and many preach Vashnavite Mat.

• Like Like x 1
  15. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

agreed!