• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Contradictions Of Opinion

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Singh Ji

With all due respect, I read it in the same way as Furure Kaur as did, "tell this moorakh westener" is used for the questioner, since question continues, it is very obviously questioner is not you.I just wonder why you have taken it as addressed to you. Even as per her admission, it is not addressed to you. May be you just mis understand it and it is always nice to discuss. Both of you are Sikhs, I felt like sharing with you how I read it. If you feel it otherwise, forgive me. My approach is to listen to others too if any misunderstand occurs.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Here's an intruiging topic which needs further and deeper discussion on Muslim Friendship "Dilemma". According to Muslim sources there are 3 main types of Muslims - Sunni, Shi'a and Wahabi.

My question is : In this 21st Century, does it matter to understand the Muslim background of a person before one befriends him ? I expect to get a mixed bag of responses from all members. Kindly share.

~ namjap ~

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
I would like to know from any muslim members or soon-to-be members if muslims find it easier to make friends from non-muslim communities than other sects of Islam. Let me explain further. As I understand there is some form of enemity between Sunni and Shia communities. For example in Malaysia, most muslims are sunni. A small minority of shia muslims live in fear in Malaysia who have been harassed by the authorities.
http://www.islamonline.net/English/News/2001-02/10/article7.shtml
http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news.php?id=331528

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Quote namjap "My question is : In this 21st Century, does it matter to understand the Muslim background of a person before one befriends him ? I expect to get a mixed bag of responses from all members. Kindly share."

Namjap ji
I was advised that we cannot compare with Guru ji’s wisdom, now I think, what was the purpose of Guru ji’s wisdom? Just for him only? We cannot learn from that! History states very clearly Guru Nanak panth never accepted and advocated divisions in the society. In the name of Guru Nanak, Guru ji’s own members of family did disgusting deeds, we are supposed to forgive them, a lot of Hindus did heinous crimes against Sikhs during Guru times, we are supposed to forgive them; some radicals Muslims did heinous crimes against Guru ji, we cannot forgive the whole community for centuries and centuries to come. I respect others views but I do not believe Sikhism is all about this. Guru Hargobind Sahib built a Mosque( Guru ki Maseet, still it is there) for Muslims who worked for Him and who kept him in high regards. Jahangir admitted about his order of murdering Fifth Nanak, in that statement he also stated that not only Hindus were being influenced by Guru but also Muslims too. Obviously lots of Muslims were guests of Guru Nanak’s House. Ignoring historical facts is very narrow assessment. We witness our own Sikh fellows’ deceptive behavior every day, when we see some radicals Muslims did bad things with our ignorant Sikh girls, we stand against whole community. In Europe Sikh young men married young European girls just to betray them, we never felt sorry for those girls or should we conclude that all Sikh young men are deceptive? We are keen to look at faults of others but rarely look at ourselves. Coming back to your question namjap ji, I shall just say we should meet and befriend all but never to trust quickly any one regardless of the faith. Give time to the friendship, slowly disguises are lifted and best judgment can be made. Never ever blame whole community on the basis of some. I have friends from other faiths, actually better than friends of my own community; faith has never come between us. May be I am lucky.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
PK70 Ji,

From your response I guess it is normal to loose some sleep thinking about what goes on in our active mind. Now I see that you've covered both the pros and cons in your answers.

Harjas Ji also expressed concern on befriending Muslims by citing many articles as examples.

Bu aren't we becoming over-biased on re-connecting with humanity ?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: