• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Contradictions Of Opinion

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
how then can one get closer to quench this ever-present desire ?
By continuing to express your love? Continue until you dissolve into that expression...

I have a very wonderful husband and he has taught me so much about love. He is always kind to me, accepting of me, understanding, attentive, and has never put his own needs before mine. I am humbled by him and I've learned a few things about getting closer to God from him. It's nearly impossible to resist loving someone who loves you the way my husband loves me. So it is with God -- how could I not love such a Guru? When I turn my mind in to Him and lose myself in that love there is nothing but Him. There is no time or place or me or Him or the World of This & That... there is just this matchless, all pervading, inexplicable... well I can't explain it because it's inexplicable. All I know is that every time it happens I want it to last forever. And I live in a constant state of desire from one of these moments until the next.

Oh, and JMHO means "just my humble opinion." :)

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
By continuing to express your love? Continue until you dissolve into that expression...
And I live in a constant state of desire from one of these moments until the next.

Oh, and JMHO means "just my humble opinion." :)

Thank you for such a lovely and thoughful expression of emotions and JMHO.

:up:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
My next question is -
What's wrong in accepting Dalits into the fold of Sikhism ?

Why won't the Sikh authorities in Punjab (Akaal Takht) made this decision ?

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Belittling the Caste-System

A Gateway to Sikhism | Guru Stories:Belittling the Caste-System - A Gateway to Sikhism

Guru Nanak Dev disparagingly condemned caste-prejudices. To do away with this social malady he set an example. He visited Bhai Lalo an 'out-caste', and both had their meals together, giving a shocking surprise to the village-folk. Moreover, Mardana, the life-long companion of Guru Sahib was minstrel, coming from 'low-caste'.​

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
At what rate are new converts being brought into the fold of Sikhism and cite case examples not hearsay. Provide links.

See namjap a Sikh will never try to convert someone of one religion to another. One of the Sikhs missions is to teach humanity about Sikhism and if by these teachings that person chooses to accept Sikhism that is great. People ask for links for source of proof but one of the greatest links we have is our mind and the Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
namjap
who told you or where did you read that dalits are not accepted into Sikhism?????

Your answer does not reflect your above-mentioned quote. Are you contradicting yourself ?

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
See namjap a Sikh will never try to convert someone of one religion to another. One of the Sikhs missions is to teach humanity about Sikhism and if by these teachings that person chooses to accept Sikhism that is great. People ask for links for source of proof but one of the greatest links we have is our mind and the Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

Singh Ji,

The greatest link we have is our mind and Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.
Please elaborate why we are given a mind. If we are not the mind, then who are we ?

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Can you give reference from SGGS that we are body, mind and spirit ?

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Is there a bridging proposal for Dalits to adopt the Sikh way of life by allowing gradual changes from their current lifestyle. By this I mean to improve their traditional habits in a step by step way. If there is such an attempt to accept them, then what would be the capacity of inflow of new sikhs from this Dalit caste ?

Is there a restriction by the Indian constitution of mass conversion to Sikhism ?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Nam Jap ji

I am not missing the subtle parts of your questions. They are all very good and probing. But there is actually a example in real-time that is related to the question you are asking.

There was a proposal by SGPC to admit Sanatan Sikhs into the fold. Sanatan Sikhs historically have been largely members of the Dalit caste. This is going back a few centuries. The proposal was made in April or so a year ago. I am not 100 percent certain of the timing of this. The argument was that Sikhs should and could increase their numbers by forgetting historical differences and religious differences that were part of ancient history. This move many said would be good for everyone. It would improve the political standing of Sikhs in India and it would demonstrate that Sikhism is a religion that embraces many different groups. Now a year later what has happened with this proposal? Do we hear anything about it any more? No. Now once again Sanatans are being characterized as "out of the fold" for their heresies.

My personal opinion is irrelevant. I have some questions however.

It seems that an older frame of mind dominates the discussion of who is and who is not a Sikh. Yet exclusion by caste goes against the core values of Sikhi. I am well aware of the religious reasons given to exclude Sanatans. Moreover, in day to day life contact with Dalits is kept to a minimum. Only this week there was yet another story of an honor killing in India. A young Sikh woman was caught with her Dalit boyfriend. She was beaten unconscious and the burned to death by her family.

Tell this moorath Westerner then what are the ways in which Dalits can be included if not welcomed. If not conversion, if not evangelism, then what? If not Dalits, then what about others? How do others find their way to the fold?

Add ji
I see you have gone to the extent of name calling on this discussion. Surely you should know that this is against Sikhism and the same with anger. I even waited a couple of weeks for you to realize this yourself, but surely you have not done so.

Now to get back on the topic; my whole point here is that a person cannot be converted into Sikhism. Sikhism is a way of life and either you follow it or you don’t. Once the Sikh knows that he/she is capable of this lifestyle, then that Sikh can take Amrit and become a true Sikh while still obeying to the lifestyle.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Singh ji

You must have missed my reply of May 3 -- because it was erased during the forum software upgrade. Calm down! Your previous comment in which you apparently thought I was calling you names was also erased. Reread what I said. I was calling myself a "moorath" and a "Westerner". Not you. I don't even know you.

Tell this moorath Westerner then what are the ways in which Dalits can be included if not welcomed. If not conversion, if not evangelism, then what? If not Dalits, then what about others? How do others find their way to the fold?

add ji this above quote was written by you. This quote clearly states you called me a moorath westerner, even though i do not know what it means, but it was meant as an insult by you. If you had called yourself one you would have said, 'tell me, the moorath westerner.....

I hold nothing against you everyone makes a mistake for we all are human.

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
SinghJi;
when I read the post I took it as AntoniaJi speaking about herself; this is a poetic-rhetorical device. So she omitted the 'You' as in 'You tell this moorath Westerner....''
I see this as the problem inherent in ethnic religion. Maybe when young generations living outside India grow up, when global Sikhs are considered mainstream-normal, caste will be meaningless.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: