• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Contradictions Of Opinion

Feb 14, 2006
Is is true that Sikh women used to wear dastar more than they do now but they started wearing only chunni because Sikh women were getting raped?

The Mughals put a price on Sikh heads because they wanted to exterminate them. As more and more Singhs died and became fewer, the mughals began killing Singhnia and collecting their heads for reward money. They explained the lack of facial hair as being heads of young boys, not women.

Because of this, it became less popular for Singhnia to want to give her head for the faith. And the wearing of dastaar became less frequent. Can you see why wearing dastaar is so potent with faith and love and meaning? Because when you wear dastaar, you are wearing it for all the ones who died before you. In honor of their love for Guru Khalsa Panth.

166062317_aa5bd355dd.jpg

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Sorry.

I have to beg all of your forgiveness. I'm on a spirit quest and have reached the part that feels like the first few steps of Spring cleaning when you have dragged everything out of the closets and drawers, pulled down the curtains and thrown them in the wash and everything is in chaos. It gets so much worse before it gets better.

:)

Patience... PLEASE. ::cool:2:

It always gets so much worse before it gets better. It's my experience too not once but over and over, again and again. But it's all in the mind. The chaos thing ? I have to deal with it everyday. Laziness and lack of discipline is my major problem.

Apr 4, 2007
The hindustva movement has been a very powerful theme in Indian politics since before World War II. I am not saying it is the sole cause, but it preys on many other economic, political and historical points of contention. Hindustva is the Indian version of fascism and uses political rhetoric that is not so different from the America First campaigns of Patrick Buchanon. Advantaged and educated people prey on and manipulate the disparities of wealth and political power -- and scapegoats are part of the script. It is an ugly movement that has driven many non-Sikh Indians out of India. Harjas ji knows a lot about this.

they actually openly admire Hitler, and praise him and his "effective policies" in government approved history textbooks. in these same textbooks, they belittle Sikh Gurus and call them Hindus.

pretty nasty people.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Bhai Baljit Singh and Gurmeet Singh Ji - Soora So Pehchaniyai
Dya Singh (Australia) - Soora So Pahchaniey

ਗਗਨ ਦਮਾਮਾ ਬਾਜਿਓ ਪਰਿਓ ਨੀਸਾਨੈ ਘਾਉ ॥
gagan dhamaamaa baajiou pariou neesaanai ghaao ||
The battle-drum beats in the sky of the mind; aim is taken, and the wound is inflicted.

ਖੇਤੁ ਜੁ ਮਾਂਡਿਓ ਸੂਰਮਾ ਅਬ ਜੂਝਨ ਕੋ ਦਾਉ ॥੧॥
khaeth j maanddiou sooramaa ab joojhan ko dhaao ||1||
The spiritual warriors enter the field of battle; now is the time to fight! ||1||

ਸੂਰਾ ਸੋ ਪਹਿਚਾਨੀਐ ਜੁ ਲਰੈ ਦੀਨ ਕੇ ਹੇਤ ॥
sooraa so pehichaaneeai j larai dheen kae haeth ||
He alone is known as a spiritual hero, who fights in defense of religion.

ਪੁਰਜਾ ਪੁਰਜਾ ਕਟਿ ਮਰੈ ਕਬਹੂ ਨ ਛਾਡੈ ਖੇਤੁ ॥੨॥੨॥
purajaa purajaa katt marai kabehoo n shhaaddai khaeth ||2||2||
He may be cut apart, piece by piece, but he never leaves the field of battle. ||2||2||
~SGGS Ji p. 1105

Feb 14, 2006
Thankyou Namjap Ji for sharing lovely Gurbani kirtan. Soo beautiful. :)

Jasleen Kaur Ji wrote:
"i read an interview with a sikh "militant", and when asked what the militants will do when they achieve Khalistan... he said they will liberate Bosnia, Tibet, and anyone else who is being oppressed. :) it's simply our duty."
Vahegurooo

YouTube - 10 Years - Wasteland (Amnesty International Version)

Raj Karega Khalsa!

Last edited:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Sri Amritsar Ishnan:
Kala Afgana states that the holy water of the sarovar should NOT be referred to as Amrit. We're not debating KA but the statement he made. For that matter anybody could have said it earlier than KA.

Gurbani Quote from Sri Granth:

ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ॥
Uḏam karė bẖalkė parbẖāṯī isnān karė amriṯ sar nāvai.
Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.
Guru Ram Das - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

What is your opinion on this ?

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Sri Amritsar Ishnan:
Kala Afgana states that the holy water of the sarovar should NOT be referred to as Amrit. We're not debating KA but the statement he made. For that matter anybody could have said it earlier than KA.

Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

We must all travel to Amritsar every morning and bathe there. :crazy:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਗੁਰੁ ਸਰਵਰੁ ਮਾਨ ਸਰੋਵਰੁ ਹੈ ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਪੁਰਖ ਲਹੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ॥
Gur sarvar mān sarovar hai vadbẖāgī purakẖ lahaʼnniĥ.
The Guru is the Mansarovar Lake; only the very fortunate beings find Him.
Guru Amar Das
- [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Amritsar and Mansarovar is the same thing. These are places also like Begampura where the mind ceases to bother us, Souls because the mind is discarded by bathing in Mansarovar Lake. Souls, without the mind, emerge in brilliance like swans and enter the sanctuary above the co{censored}r vibrations of the worlds of duality.

Apr 4, 2007
Sri Amritsar Ishnan:

amrit has many meanings. one of them is NAAM. to bathe in a pool of Amrit could mean to do simran. many people take this to mean that they should do simran while bathing in the morning. that explanation works well for me. :)

i'm not saying there's not something special about Amritsar... but Naam can be found anywhere.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

Sangat ji

In above Guru waak has nothing to do with Amritsar city, its all about Nam simran
People who question Amrit vela, forget that Guru ji is simply asking to start life with His praise right after asleep. It is beyond my comprehension why it is considered ritual.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Sangat ji

In above Guru waak has nothing to do with Amritsar city, its all about Nam simran
People who question Amrit vela, forget that Guru ji is simply asking to start life with His praise right after asleep. It is beyond my comprehension why it is considered ritual.

Pk70 Ji,

Why do the Panthic leaders call Khande de Pahul as Amrit ?

Peevo Pahul Khande Dhaar,
Hoye Janam Sohela.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
namjap Ji

Amrit word is used for pious concept. It is used for bani , His Nam, pious time. Any one questions that, to me, is looking for a point to debate nothing more than that.
Coming back to your question.
It is used for "khande dee pahul" for the same reason, instead of calling it just sacred water, it is called amrit since it represents very pious ceremoney.
If we srart thinking lke KA, khande dee pahul, bowing to Guru in respect, reciting of Gurbani,( what does he suggest while taking amrit if reciting bani is ritual? Do Gossiping? ) almost all ceremoneies like taking oath etc should also be called rituals; Ka is dead wrong. When he swore for police job, he did that oath ceremoney, did he say to the presiding officer that" it is a ritual and it is unnecessary"(who knows wheather the person taking oath is serious or just saying the words). contrary to his views,these ceremonies are not rituals. The guy has no substance to advocate his views.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Let's leave KA out of this. Because this question has also been in my mind for a very long time. I only knew KA when he got ex-communicated. My question re-phrased is :-

Will the word Amrit Sanchar mislead believers in their understanding of the real Amrit ?

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
namjap ji

My answer will be "NO". since it is used only for pious ceremoney, it shouldnt mislead any one at all. If someone is made to think that after taking it, mircale will happen, that kind of statement is very very supersititious.

Apr 4, 2007
Let's leave KA out of this. Because this question has also been in my mind for a very long time. I only knew KA when he got ex-communicated. My question re-phrased is :-

Will the word Amrit Sanchar mislead believers in their understanding of the real Amrit ?

in which way do you think believers are being mislead?

Amrit can mean many things. When Guru Nanak Dev ji went to the river Beas for three days, he experienced something incredible. he "drank Amrit from the cup of God". God who is formless, incorporeal, gave Amrit to Guru sahib.

Amrit is Naam itself, which will bring us mukhti.

Amrit is the name given to sacred water imbued with Naam through the recitation of Banis as instructed by Guru Gobind Singh ji. will drinking this bring you mukhti? no, it's only the beginning of the journey. so is it the same as the naam above? kind of? maybe not?

Amrit springs from the ground in Amritsar, hence the city's name. is it the same amrit we take in Amrit Sanchar? some people think so. i don't know. does this cheapen Amrit Sanchar? no way.

most people can understand that one word can have different connotations, depending on the circumstances.

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
Just to share what rising early to bath in the nectar of Naam means to me... I take it figuratively because I know in my own heart and life what it means to bathe in the sweet nectar of Naam. For me, it means to rise early and meditate and sing love to Waheguru, praying and chanting his name till your are overcome with love for him and his presence lifts you out of the mundane state of consciousness. By doing this, my inner person, spirit, heart -- whatever you want to call it -- is cleansed. Meanwhile the water signifies this cleansing while cleaning the body as well. In the crucible of Love, melt the sweet nectar of the Name... That's what it means to me.

Although God only knows how much I would love to travel to Amritsar, I cannot do that right now, but the Naam makes any water sacred does it not? So, until I am able to go physically to the Golden Temple, the water from my Kansas faucet or Haiti's Caribbean waters will have to do.

As for ritual -- how DO you tell the difference between ceremony and ritual? Anything can become a ritual. Humans are creatures of habit and we create ritual without even thinking about it. So what is the difference between ceremony and ritual?

For me the key is in the heart and has to do with sincerity, motives and intentions.

How do you draw the line between ceremony and ritual?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM