• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Contentment/ਸੰਤੋਖ

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
CONTENTMENT/ਸੰਤੋਖ

ABSTRACT

It is a sense of gratification, satisfaction, and pleasure with gratitude but its presence is rarely seen. It is seldom achieved, for we never have enough, things we have; never satisfy us, and the desire to have more never ends. Before a desire is fulfilled another one already on the way. This is the consequence of worldly thinking. It reflects a state of mind in which one's desires are confined to his lot whatever it may be.

ਬਿਨਾ ਸੰਤੋਖ ਨਹੀ ਕੋਊ ਰਾਜੈ ਸਪੁਨ ਮਨੋਰਥ ਬਿ੍ਥੇ ਸਭ ਕਾਜੈ Binā sanok nahī ko­ū rājai. Supan manorath barithė sab kājai.
Without contentment, no one is satisfied. Like the objects in a dream, all his efforts are in vain. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 279-2------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is second of the five Sikh virtues after truth and is not easy to develop. It is defined as a state of mind of happiness with total satisfaction in one’s condition and situation in life in the present. It is the opposite of envy, avarice, ambition and anxiety, arising from an inward disposition. It is the offspring of our own sense of unworthiness. Patience is the key to contentment. Guru Nanak, Mohammad, Socrates, Buddha, and Bible reflect on it;

ਮੁੰਦਾ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਸਰਮੁ ਪਤੁ ਝੋਲੀ ਧਿਆਨ ਕੀ ਕਰਹਿ ਬਿਭੂਤਿ Muna sanok saram pa jolī ḏẖi­ān kī karahi bibū.

Make contentment your earrings, humility your begging bowl and meditation the ashes you apply to your body. -----Japji, AGGS, Page, 6

Seek help through patient perseverance and prayers. -----Quran, 2:45

He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have. -----Socrates

Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship. -----Buddha
I have learned in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. Bible, [Philippians 4:11]

Being self-content means accepting and acknowledging who you are in your inner core and being comfortable with it. Satisfaction does not require perfection in all areas of your life. When you learn to better understand, better appreciate and eventually love yourself, you exude a quiet confidence that will open doors to what you want in life dispelling any doubts what so ever.

ਨਿਹਚਲ ਮਹਲੁ ਨਹੀ ਛਾਇਆ ਮਾਇਆ ਸਾਚਿ ਸੰਤੋਖੇ ਭਰਮੁ ਚੁਕਾਇਆ
Nihcal mahal nahī cẖẖā­i­ā mā­i­ā. Sāc sanokė baram cukā­i­ā.

Akal Purkh’s Mansion is eternal and unchanging; it is not a mere reflection of Maya. Through truth and contentment, doubt is dispelled.
-----Guru Nanak, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 228-2

One way to develop a strong sense of self-contentment is to give yourself the gift of self-appreciation. Offer yourself the same respect and kindness you give to the others you care deeply for. In doing so, you will feel more at peace with yourself, be strong in your convictions and easily stand up for yourself.

Ways to support you in becoming more confident;

• Silence your inner critic by intentionally unlearning this behavior.
  • Surround yourself with a positive environment. Enrich your life through spiritual education and inspiration that imparts both emotional and physical health.
  • Acknowledge your achievements by accepting the fact that someone else helped you in reaching your goals.
  • Control ten sensory pleasures (ਇੰਦ੍ਰੀ).

ਇੰਦ੍ਰੀ ਪੰਚ ਪੰਚੇ ਵਸਿ ਆਣੈ ਖਿਮਾ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਪਾਵੈ
Inrī panc pancė vas āai kimā sanok gurma pāvai.

Whoever overpowers the five sense organs is blessed with forgiveness, patience and contentment, through the Guru's Teachings.
-----Guru Amardas, Raag Parbhati, AGGS, Page, 1334-16

Contentment is accepting the reality with a positive attitude. Our attitude tells the world what we expect in return. If it's a cheerful and expectant attitude, it says to everyone with whom we come in contact that we expect the best in our dealings with the world. We do tend to live up to our own expectations. Our attitude is something that we can control. We can establish our attitude each morning when we start our day -- in fact, we do just that, whether or not we realize it or intend it. And the members in our family, and the people in our world, will reflect back to us the attitude we present to them. Hence it is our attitude toward life that determines life's attitude toward us. Everything we say or do and the accompanying attitude impacts our life. If we're cheerful, glad to be experiencing this miracle of life, others will reflect that good cheer back to us. We become the kind of people others enjoy being around with. This is possible by living according to the principles contained in AGGS.

ਪੂਰਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਤਪੁ ਪੂਰਨ ਰਾਜੁ ਜੋਗੁ
Pūrā suk pūrā sanok. Pūrā ap pūran rāj jog.

Once the mind rests in peace, one feels perfect bliss of life, with perfect contentment and patience, and the worship is considered perfect.

-----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 279-2

ਸੋ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਣੁ ਜੋ ਬਿੰਦੈ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਜਪੁ ਤਪੁ ਸੰਜਮ ਕਮਾਵੈ ਕਰਮ ॥ ਸੀਲ ਸੰਤੋਖ ਕਾ ਰਖੈ ਧਰਮ ॥ ਬੰਧਨ ਤੋੜੈ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੁਕਤੁ ॥ ਸੋਈ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਣੁ ਪੂਜਣ ਜੁਗਤੁ
So barahma jo binai barahm. Jap ap sanjam kamāvai karam. Sīl sanok kā rakai ḏẖaram. Banḏẖan oai hovai muka. So­ī barahma pūja juga.

The true Brahmin is one, who has realized the True Akal Purkh and performs meditation, penance leading a disciplined life. Such a Brahmin deserves all praise and is worthy of respect, who has developed peace of mind and contentment, thus attaining salvation having overcome all bondage of worldly falsehood.
-----Guru Nanak, Sloke Varan To Vadheek, AGGS, Page, 1411

Conclusion:

In life, one cannot get what one likes all the time, so one must learn to like what one gets. It is not the circumstances that create discontent or contentment but our desires are the root cause. Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but the realization of how much you already have. The secret of contentment is to know how to enjoy what you have, and to be able to lose all desire for things beyond your reach. Contentment makes a poor man rich; discontentment makes the rich poor. Guru Arjan in Mundavani and Bhai Gurdas in His Vaar 19 reflect on four cardinals in Sikh thought;

ਥਾਲ ਵਿਚਿ ਤਿੰਨਿ ਵਸਤੂ ਪਈਓ ਸਤੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਵੀਚਾਰੋ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਕਾ ਪਇਓ ਜਿਸ ਕਾ ਸਭਸੁ ਅਧਾਰੋ
Thāl vic inn vasū pa­ī­o sa sanok vīcāro. Amri nām ṯẖākur kā pa­i­o jis kā sabas aḏẖāro.
Upon this Plate, three things have been placed: Truth, Contentment and Contemplation. The Ambrosial Nectar of the Naam, the Name of our Akal Purkh and Master, has been placed upon it as well; it is the Support of all.
-----Guru Arjan, Mundavani, AGGS, Page, 1429 -12
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਇ ਆਪੁ ਪਛਾਣਿਆ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਤਿ ਸੰਤੋਖ ਸਹਿਜ ਸਮਾਣਿਆ Gurmukh Apu Gavai Apu Pachania, Gurmukh Sato Santokh Sahaj Samania.
Gurmukh loosing his ego identifies his self and enters his innate nature through truth and contentment. -----Bhai Gurdas, Vaar 19, Pauri, 13-1 & 2

Virinder S. Grewal
Williamston, MI

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Virinder Ji,

Very nice elaboration. I want to contribute to what you have said in your post, for your consideration.

'It is a sense of gratification, satisfaction, and pleasure with gratitude'

I just want to add to this line from your post at the end of it i.e with what one presently has.

Then it will read.

'It is a sense of gratification, satisfaction, and pleasure with gratitude with what one presently has.'

Sir, if you have elaborated on the virtue 'Truth', which I have missed some how, I will like to read that too.

With love and respect

Amarpal Singh

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Virinder Ji,

Thank you very much. I could find the abstract of this website.

With love and respect

Amarpal Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Contentment is to be able to cope with the mother in law after 20 years of marriage which by the way is today. Just kidding. She is an angel.:).

Some may question how about her daughter?

A henpecked hubby like me can only express that gleefulness by keeping mum.:)

Tejwant Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Tejwant ji and Virinder Ji....lucky yous....mine never stayed with me ( she was of the old guard..so even a drink of water from the daughters house was taboo ?? so she stayed with her sons) and she never took my side ( i wonder if i am "lucky" too but in a different sense ??)..he he he.:}8-:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: