• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Consumption Of Alcohol Amongst Sikhs

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Why should we not drink?

To be natural is obeying the Hukam of the Almighty. Whenever one goes unnatural, he defies the Hukam. Cutting the hair, provided by the Almighty, is unnatural. Eating meat, is unnatural, because the structure of teeth of man is to be only vegetarian as compared to animals, who have their teeth specially structured to tear apart the flesh. Drinking alcohol is also unnatural, as unlike water, it affects badly the senses, and attacks organs to lead them to failure and other deadly diseases. .....

Err no.

Humans are omnivores and have both types of teeth. We have Caninses as well.

Alcohol is contained in many medicines and can help medical conditions (in moderation).

As for Hair....it's not unnatural to cut, we choose to keep hair because we are Sikh.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
On notice: I have already moved several recent comments from this Thread to Fools Who Wrangle over Flesh this week. Please do not associate the word "teeth" with meat and then go from teeth to meat to alcohol. Next time, deletion. Thanks, spnadmin

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
Randip Singh JI,
<?"urn::eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
I did not associate meat with alcohol. I just saying what I do. I am sorry if it mean that way. I do not tell any one what to eat and what not to eat. Here is a reason why I said what I said.
WTW I could not find any where in the SGGS that one can should eat meat. If you know where I can find it I’ll be very thankful to you.
<o:p> </o:p>
The question is why we eat what we eat. And drink
# One reason is to sustain the body. It was meant to be the simple food to keep the body healthy. As human we get addicted by the taste of the food. We eat for the taste of and form habit. It become desire to eat tasty food. We start to crave it. It mean we get slave to tasty food. When we are slave of something or some one. We are not doing any thing on our own. I do not mean we should eat bad tasting food. What I am saying we should not crave for any thing. We should eat what is good for the body and mind. Take full control of your self.
Here in the west many people white and our own ask me why I don’t eat meat. They accuse me of being Radha suami. I tell them I gave up the meat and drinking for the same reason you eat and drink. Many just can not understand what I am saying. Some say we eat meat because we like the taste of meat. I say that is the reason I don’t eat meat because that I liked it too. Many says that is strange reason. People give up that they don’t like but you gave up what you like? It is to control of my self. I gave up roti for many years because I found I was addicted to roti. All jatts must eat roti otherwise he is not a jatt.
In my work I use to meet many people for work reason. There I drank coffee. The coffee is the social drink after the whiskey. MY wife does not like the smell of coffee so at home I never made or drank coffee. My wife also develop arthritis. I use to tell her to give up morning tea. After listening to me for couple of years she channeled me to give up coffee. She said that I drink coffee out with friends. That was in November of 2004. After that I never had coffee. She still drink tea.
In my view I don’t have the right to tell others what to drink or do, if I am doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
[
Randip Singh JI,<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><?"urn:
P><P><FONT size=3><FONT face=
I did not associate meat with alcohol. I just saying what I do. I am sorry if it mean that way. I do not tell any one what to eat and what not to eat. Here is a reason why I said what I said.

WTW I could not find any where in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji that one can should eat meat. If you know where I can find it I’ll be very thankful to you.

You clearly did associate the two…as one seemed to go hand in hand with another….this is clearly not the case.
In the same context, one could argue the Guru Granth Sahib ji does not tell you to eat Halwa. It does not tell you to eat Bhel puri. The Guru Granth Sahib ji is not an a la carte menu.
The Sikh Rehat Maryada does not forbid Sikhs from eating meat bar Kutthaa meat.
…and Guru Nanak says “that those people who hold up their noses to meat devour people at night”!!!
The question is why we eat what we eat. And drink
# One reason is to sustain the body. It was meant to be the simple food to keep the body healthy. As human we get addicted by the taste of the food. We eat for the taste of and form habit. It become desire to eat tasty food. We start to crave it. It mean we get slave to tasty food. When we are slave of something or some one. We are not doing any thing on our own. I do not mean we should eat bad tasting food. What I am saying we should not crave for any thing. We should eat what is good for the body and mind. Take full control of your self.

Define simple food?
For the native plains American, the buffalo is simple food. For the Eskimo, seal meat is simple food.
…..and we do not take control of ourselves, as that is defined as Munmookee. We let Waheguru take control of ourselves
Here in the west many people white and our own ask me why I don’t eat meat. They accuse me of being Radha suami. I tell them I gave up the meat and drinking for the same reason you eat and drink. Many just can not understand what I am saying. Some say we eat meat because we like the taste of meat. I say that is the reason I don’t eat meat because that I liked it too. Many says that is strange reason. People give up that they don’t like but you gave up what you like? It is to control of my self. I gave up roti for many years because I found I was addicted to roti. All jatts must eat roti otherwise he is not a jatt.

The Guru’s tell us this sort of abstinence is a folly. What is more beneficial is being in balance. Eating all sorts of food but in moderation is better.
Just eating meat is bad for you. Just eating Daal is bad for you.
If you don’t eat meat, then that is up to you.
In my work I use to meet many people for work reason. There I drank coffee. The coffee is the social drink after the whiskey. MY wife does not like the smell of coffee so at home I never made or drank coffee. My wife also develop arthritis. I use to tell her to give up morning tea. After listening to me for couple of years she channeled me to give up coffee. She said that I drink coffee out with friends. That was in November of 2004. After that I never had coffee. She still drink tea.
In my view I don’t have the right to tell others what to drink or do, if I am doing that.

Like alcohol it depends what you are using coffee for. Many of my fellow bodybuilders use half a cup of coffee as a stimulant just before weighlifting. Too much caffeine is bad.
The same applies to alcohol. Alcohol can be used in medicines. Some people use it as a cold remedy.
I avoid alcohol because we have many alcoholics in my family, but I drink coffee and tea in moderation. I drink plenty of water. I also eat vegetables, meat, bread and even some sweet things in Moderation and in balance. This is what all the symbols in Sikhism allude us to. BALANCE! Be it Shakti and Bhakti. Miri and Piri, or our symbol (the Nishan Sahib). All perfectly balanced!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
This is an interesting debate, as it touches something that is bothering me today, I have been described as having an addictive personality, and as such have craved most of the pleasures God put on this earth (yes, i know strange for an atheist to acknowledge God, but just because I don't believe, does not mean God does not exist).In my experience the hardest thing an addict can do is come to some sort of peace with his addiction, and then conquer it, so that it remains a moderation.

I agree that denying yourself pleasure because you enjoy something too much is the path of asceticism, which I do not believe to be in the spirit of sikhism.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM