• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Confused Youth?

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
skeptik said:
Lastly, I said i would explain how the view that one should welcome a diversity of views, that this is healthy, and that will create a 'real understanding', is hinged, once again, in the liberal belief of autonomy.

Skeptic you talk about being rational and rooted in reality. Well this is a major reality for us, people who are Sikh come with a variety of differing attitudes and backgrounds. How can you ignore this great truth.

We would do better to accept it. I have my own gripe to make, when Sikhs with different opinions cannot get above such issues and quickly draw lines and cause more splits. We need to be inclusive not factional. And the reality is, we have to be a bit tolerant of diversity because we all turn out different from each other.

For the record, I've never really considered myself as a liberal of the mould you are suggesting. I don't think anyone who knows me does either, they would probably find the idea alone hilarious.

As for a conservative approach versus any other. Well, as long as they work for good, I'm cool with any.

PS - I agree that most Sikh orgs get to together and produce unrealistic and unfocused plans to resolve problems. There is great merit in what you said about tackling specific problems, as opposed to making general idealistic statements.

Maybe the case is simply that people who have no real clue about strategies for problem solving are the ones who are at the forefront.

Last edited:

skeptik

SPNer
Sep 6, 2006
Skeptic you talk about being rational and rooted in reality. Well this is a major reality for us, people who are Sikh come with a variety of differing attitudes and backgrounds. How can you ignore this great truth.
I do not ignore it! I accept it as obvious. What I am saying is, opinions dont really matter, well, some opinions dont matter and shouldnt matter. I think liberal opinions are silly and a waste of time for they have little chance of solving any real problem, and entertaining them is not useful. I am not saying that there arent any variations amongst individuals: indeed I accept this most strongly; and it is why I say any problem solving should have in mind a real person and a real problem, and this is ones best chance of solving the problem, because we can learn more about it, and we understand the problem best, and we can do something about it because its familar, or at least partially understood.

You probably never thought of yourself as a liberal because your upbringing is at odds with general liberalism. Sikh societies, as i said in my first post, tend to be conservative, and we still observe traditional values. Well there are trends against this in some places of the world, but in general I think the Sikhs are fairly conservative.

The reason you are accidentally a liberal is because you have accepted their beliefs: that of autonomy, of freedom of the individual, of equality and so on. These are considered good things, and you've naturally and possibly unconsciously taken them up as your own. Many sikhs who grow up in the west do this, for liberalism is the most potent religion today. Everyone is exposed to this: we read about Gandhi and Martin Luther; hear about Bhagat Singh and then ofcourse, as sikhs we are exposed to Sikh mythology and history. We are told a condesensed version of history that captures the main events: which happens to be the significant ones where change took place. Ofcourse this is only natural, but it is not emphasised that while the Sikh gurus werent commiting these changes, they were mostly living like normal human beings in normal human society. Because their revolutionary work is emphasised so strongly, the young sikh accepts the liberal ideals as his own, and he believes they also belonged to the Guru. Actually he might not have thought this on his own, he might have read a pamphet from Gurdwara, some quotes from Bernard Shaw saying Sikhism it the best religion (incidentally he said similiar things about Islam too - I think he just wanted to be immortal by saying nice things about minorities and they'd always quote him. He was just a playright, not a scholar or anything like that. anyway) - exposed to all of this, we readily accept the neo-sikh version of events. But we have given something up, and that is our tradition, and the essense of our society: which is crucial, that of good conservative values.

Dimitri

SPNer
May 4, 2006
skeptik said:
Dmitri all of those points have been covered already. In future please read what has been discussed before posting, because otherwise there is too much repetition and it becomes tiresome having to reply about something already addressed. I've already dealt with all of your points, but I will discuss your best one in this post. The first passage you quote, already discussed, what is it saying? The meaning most honestly reflected by the passage is simply that:

Women are inseperable from human affairs. Women exist and co-exist in all facets of society. Women are precious and important to the very existence of society. Their presence is unavoidable and crucial. Even the highest positions in society (that of Kings) are intimately connected with woman. Then, knowning all of this, how can one denounce woman?

Here Guruji is against putting women down simply because they are women. Guruji provides an argument, a good one, which says knowing that women are so valuable and precious in society, how can a person denounce them? It is an argument against denouncing women and argument for recognising the great service and value that women have provided to society. It does NOT say that Sikhs ought to create equality between men and women. To claim that is what the passage is saying is to presume FAR too much. Such a presumption is not justified by the passage and it says something much stronger than what Guruji did say, and it says something different to what Guruji has said. This confusion by neo-sikhs is understandable though. For in recent history, equality and non-descrimination are considered to be facets of the same goal. That the point of either is towards the same ideal of good society. This is a mistaken view, but it has been left unchallenged, simply because no one wants to challenge what they see to be a Good Thing to desire. Yet, even if you believe that equality is a Good Thing - you must not commit the vice of misreading the Guru's words for your own purpose, even if that purpose is thought to be good. But neo-sikhs necessarily misrepresent our Guru by offering sentimental interpretations of their words. Tell me, is it justified from this passage to say Guruji wanted equality of sexes? But this is the same sort of unjustified conclusion that neo-sikhs often reach despite the facts.

If point has to be repeted I guess it has to be repeted. Guru Granth tells humans many many times to to belive in God, remove your humay many many times.
Anyway coming bk to this issue. Under brahman system, women were not allowed to conduct religious ceremonies, or even attend as they were considered distraction for men. In my previous post I have mentioned Guru Amar das appointed women missionaries. From Khalsa point of view women can take Amrit, can be one of the five pyaras and upon marriage they don't have to take up their husbands name. They are Kaur forever. They have their own identity. Sikhism doesn't restrict women, women are not held back in sikhi

Mata Khivi was Guru Angad Dev's wife and she occupies a special place in Sikh history. Her most important contribution is that she made the concept of langar a reality.Even the Mughal Emperor Akbar who once visited the Guru at Goindwal ate in the langar like any other pilgrim.

Guru Amar Das stopped women wearing the veil and did not allow the queen of Haripur to sit in the sangat if she insisted on wearing one.

women were provided opportunities to lead more meaningful lives which enabled them to actively participate in social and religious affairs. out of 22 manjis 4 headed by women. The head enjoys complete economic and decision-making powers within manji.

Sada Kaur described as a first woman commander-in-chief and a leader of unprecedented qualities. She along with her son in law Ranjit Singh defeated Zaman Shah, son of Abdali near Amritsar and established the Khalsa Kingdom.

Mai Bhago Fought side by side with Guru Gobind Singh, was the lone survivor of the battle in which Fourty Mukte defeated Mughals. She led a battalion of 40 men in the battle of Muktsar.

Bibi Sahib Kaur Phulkian A Princess of Patiala. She led armies into many battles and was the only woman in Indian subcontinent to win a battle over a British General.

Tell me had all of this would have been possible if women were held back, treated unequally under sikhi.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Skeptic, you may be in danger of overemphasising what we have in common with conservatives at the expense of the big differences we have with them.

skeptik

SPNer
Sep 6, 2006
dalsingh, please tell me what are these big differences we have with conservatives?

had all of this would have been possible if women were held back, treated unequally under sikhi. (Dimitri)
Dimitri, I do not deny any of the examples you have given. But these examples simply show that the Gurus did not want to unjustly discriminate against women. They believed in non-discrimination, which means you do not discriminate without good reason. But cant you see that non-discrimination is not the same thing as equality? You can be happy that your daughter is well educated and learned, that she can have a career and that she has the freedom to have a large say in who she marries, for example, but she is not equal to you: as a father you have authority over her, she cannot order you to do something, but the father can, although you'd expect the father only to do this justly and within good reason. If you disagree with this morally, then notice that you also disagree morally with your Guru having authority over you, and this is not acceptable to Sikhi, for in Sikhi the Sikh is at the complete authority of his Guru.
They have their own identity. Sikhism doesn't restrict women, women are not held back in sikhi
I agree that Sikh gurus did not restrict women and that sikh philosophy does not restrict women. I agree that women are not held back in sikhi. This though, does not mean that women are equal to men. This does not mean that sikh men should be equal to women. This also does not mean that sikh men should not be equal to women. Sikhi doesnt say either of these. So because it doesnt say either of those, doesnt mean one of them must be true. For it could be that neither of them are true, and indeed this is how it is in sikhi.

An example. Suppose you have an election and there are two very different candidates to choose from. You can vote for candidate A, candidate B, or neither candidate. Sikhi chooses neither. By voting neither, if I were to say, "oh because sikhi did not vote for candidate A, it means sikhi must support candidate B", then I would be wrong. Similarly, if I were to say, "oh because sikhi did not vote for candidate B, it must mean that sikhi supports candidate A", is just as wrong. This is the same situation with Sikhi. Sikhi votes neither, because it did not vote for either candidate.

The fact is, Sikhi sometimes is against inequality: It is against inequality when there is evil being commited. A man who beats his wife. A lord who tortures his workers. A king who tyrannises his subjects. These situations all involved inequality, but its not inequality in general which is the problem for sikhi: the problem is the abuse of the specific inequality. It is the injust exploitation of inequality that Sikhi has a problem with, but this does not mean it wishes for equality.

Non-discrimination, and specifically, non-injust-discrimination is what Sikhi has selected. It has selected this as a vote instead of neither a)equality in general, and b)inequality in general.

Dimitri

SPNer
May 4, 2006
By far the main purpose of sikh religion - to invoke spirituality. Fo me any way. I only read Guru Granth to build and sustain my connection with Akal. to cut long explanation short - Guru Granth is a Spiritual book. I have never read it with an intention to find the magic formula men = women or other matters e.g - what does Guru Granth say about green house gas emission.
In my opinion a spiritual person, no matter what faith she or he practices would not discriminate against anyone.

What is the result of inequality of anykind? I thought discrimination, lack of say. PPL who are fighting inequality in world are basically demanding rights that they have been deprived off. If you are free to do whatever u like then what exactly is the matter. what is the issue.

I don't think women are equal to men. women is a mother. Their are obvious differences, creation made differences. Women have right to follow what ever path they want. sikhism doesn't suppress any, history has it!

for in Sikhi the Sikh is at the complete authority of his Guru.

A sikh only bows to Akal. I don't know what authority Sikh Gurus ever placed on sikhs. What you mean by authority.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Skeptic,

With all respect I think you are as guilty of selective interpretation of Sikhism as anyone else.

That Sikhism and Sikh history can be classified as a conservative affair is such a preposterous suggestion that fllies in the face of historical evidence (some of which I have posted).

The Sikh Gurus were NEVER conservative, Sikhs are not conservatve. A large part of the message of Sikhism is attacking what came before, not trying to preserve it.

Your use of terms such as positive and negative changes is so subjective that we have NO solid ground to stand on, as you yourself admit in your discussion of how the emergence of the Khalsa fits into this framework. The twisting up of historical evidence that show the Gurus frequently took quite radical action and the twisting of them to bring them in line with a conservative interpretation could perhaps label you as a neoSikh.

Your talk about conservatives not discarding the past but building on it, whilst at the same time you yourself seem to attack all the Sikh studies that come before you in one broad stroke makes no sense.

Even throwing the label neoSikh around in a way that shows gross intolerence, and if I may say so, much hatred towards your own Sikh brothers and sisters, is unacceptable. Frankly, it suggests major ego issues.

But you did make one very important contribution, I feel, and that was to highlight that the currrent unfocused approach to problem solving in the panth sucks and is ineffectual. This is your sole contribution to the discussion but it is a major one.

Look, FTR, I respect some of what you say and you are obviously intelligent. But nothing you have said has convinced me in any way shape or form,that Sikhism is a movement based in conservatism.

So let us just agree to disagree ok. Learn to work with people in the panth that have different views from you. You are very articulate, can I suggest you use your skills to write concise pieces expressing your views for the panth WITHOUT condemning large sections of it who have good intentions in their hearts, whether you agree with them or not.

PS - you maybe want to get some more "old school" Sikh friends. You know the ones that still have the warrrior spirit in them. Anakhi Jodhay, then you will see exactly how conservative we are....lol

God bless you (and me too!)

skeptik

SPNer
Sep 6, 2006
dalsingh you didnt answer my question, please do! Show how iam in "danger of overemphasising what we have in common with conservatives at the expense of the big differences we have with them." Look in your community, how many good sikhs are conservatives, who keep to their own and do not draw attention to themselves by clamouring about the 'decline of sikhi', and instead are just happy to live their lives as good gursikhs. I know plenty of these people. They are successful in their careers, admirable in their conduct, respectable in their conservative opinions (as opposed to extremist ones); they are balanced individuals that make up the backbone of our community, our main financial contributors to our gurdware, the brains behind our business decisions (buy property here, or there, sell now or sell later, plan for the future expansion of sangat, etc). I know at least a dozen of such sikhs, and if you observe or talk to them, they are typically conservative.

Compare them to the extremists who so driven by their desire to better the sikh community that they start petty arguments, pick on respectable members of the sangat and chastise them over trivial 'flaws', wax nausiatingly about political matters without a sense of balanced perspective, demand unreasonably and excessively from others by measuring them against similarly unreasonable standards, are a nuisance in matters of leadership: causing needless arguments and conflict over elections and meetings, serve no useful purpose whatsover in our communities.

Conservative sikhs are sikhs who are conservative. They care just as much about Sikhi and sikh community as anyone else, but the difference between them and loud-mouthed reformists is that they simply arent interested in raising a ruckus and dividing the community. They are happy to teach their kids about Sikhi, serve as useful and reasonable members of the sangat, and not take that whole idealism thing too seriously. That doesnt mean they dont have high standards: they usually do, but mostly for themselves and their families. They are the uncles and aunties, the fathers and mothers, the experienced sikhs who've seen the world and have a great deal of common sense. They are grounded in reality and in reasonableness - the opposite of which is extremism and idealism.

I've read your other posts on this site dalsingh, and i've seen you lament that young sikhs do not care for tradition. Well dont you see that if you consistently adopt the neo-sikh perspective then the past doesnt matter so much, what we have now doesnt matter so much, there is nothing worth saving from the past, because if you look from the neo-sikh perspective all we have left worth saving is a few gurdware, a couple of granth birs, and some rustic weapons and relics of the great masters. Apart from that, you are inclined to view culture as something negative instead of something valuable. What we have, is what we have, but to the neo-sikh, that isnt good enough, and because it is not good enough, it is not valuable, and not worth saving. The neo-sikh might wax nausiatingly about 'saving sikhi', but he has in mind something that has never existed the way he thinks, and even if it did, it doesnt now, so the battle to save it has already been lost even before it began, and then he has nothing really worth fighting for. The conservative doesnt want to throw away what we have, the liberal is happy to throw it away, as long as he gets something perfect from it. This is why friends-of-humanity like Stalin, who rose to fame by wishing good for all those in their communities ,eventually ended up being such monsters. It is because they dont mind taking apart whatever we have now, in a hope for something much better in the future. They will spill much blood, but because it is for a 'good cause', they are happy to do so.

You asked me to recommend a book to read a few pages ago, and i've recently come across Khuswant Singh's two volume treatise on Sikh History. It is very well written and a pleasure to read. If you havent already seen it, i would urge you locate a copy.

Dalsingh, if you read nothing else of this post, read this paragraph. The reason you are so convinced the gurus were not conservatives is because you've heard only about the things they changed. There is no record, as far as i know, of the Sikh guru's day-to-day life, their ordinary and frequent actions and values because no one thought of recording them down, because they were simply taken for granted. For example, no one thought to record why the guru chose only male successors. These things and many more of them simply do not have any reason to be found, simply because they were actions that were in line with conventional morality and no one thought to ask why, because it didnt occur to them or even to the Gurus to do otherwise. Because there is no record of such things, unfortunately, sikh scholars make the mistake of characterising our gurus only as revolutionaries, when in fact they lived conservatively, but with some important exceptions. The backbone of sikh society then was conservative, they didnt worry about Aids and Gays, about feminism and about equality, about 'freedom of the individual', about revolutions and about communism. The sikh gurus didnt care about these things - and i cant prove that they didnt care about these things - but if you disagree with me, you must prove that they did care about these things. I am not misinterpreting history or anything like that, i am simply demanding proof before i accept these otherwise false claims. How can you say that this distorting history? I see in each of the examples you have given, the Sikh gurus acting in the wisdom and thought of saintly men who lived during and before the gurus, in seeing some practises as being evil and injust. The saints like Namdev and Kabir were openly critical of these evils, and so how can you say the gurus were driven simply by a desire to be revolutionaries, when the reasonable explanation is that the sikh gurus were the first proponents of those bhagats that actively opposed those evils? If such saints recognised evil as evil, then other good men must have thought so too, and if they did, then opposing the evil does not make one a revolutionary, because a conservative person would oppose evil too, if it were possible and rightful to do so.

You do accept that good men existed before the Gurus, dont you? The Sikh gurus werent the first righteous men to walk the earth. Even a cursory glance though a list of contributors to Guru Granth Sahib will demonstrate this to you. Sikhs arent in sole possession of the Truth - every sikh knows this. Reading through Sikh history I get the sense that the Sikhs have always cherished to cultivate good society, but if the only good society is sikh society then the Sikh message is clearly mistaken by wishing to unify mankind despite real and perceived differences. Preserving good society is not cared for by revolutionaries - they are more interested in changing it. The sikh gurus cared about society, but they also changed some things that were badly wrong.

You are making such an obvious mistake in logic. If you are against some particular injustice of inequality does not mean you are against inequality in general. If the Sikh gurus were revolutionaries does not mean they wanted their Sikhs to be too. The sikh gurus, it is obvious to me, were interested in good society.

Good society opposes certain evils. Those evils, some of them no longer exist, so we should no longer worry about them. Some still do, and they should be opposed, but its dangerous to generalise from these battles against injustice and evil and conclude that the Sikh must always be a revolutionary, that he must seek to create a perfect society, and that he is to finish what the Gurus started.

Have a read of Japji Sahib, if the gurus were not interested at all in existing society why would they so often talk about hindu gods? If theirs was a wholly unique and revolutionary message why isnt this borne out in sikh scripture? Why the insistance to reach all kinds of men, of different backgrounds if the Sikh message was so revolutionary that only brave new minds, free of existing prejudice, could grasp it? You will say no, ofcourse not, but that is just the point, the sikh guru's message would have been received and welcomed by good men everywhere because it was only repeating the voice of their conscience.

The fact is, after making those important changes to society which they did, and by teaching their sikhs about the Sikh way, they already achieved their goal of good society. This society was robust and tolerant enough to accept men of many walks. It was a wholly human affair - and it was so, because the sikh goals of good society correspond to the aims of good men in general. We still have such a society, more or less, and we ought to preserve it, as it is. But neo-sikhs slight it, ridicule it, and dismiss it away.

skeptik2

SPNer
Sep 7, 2006
The Sikh Gurus were NEVER conservative, Sikhs are not conservatve. A large part of the message of Sikhism is attacking what came before, not trying to preserve it.
How wrong you are to conclude from the remarkable history of Sikhi that Sikh gurus simply wished to attack whatever came from them, and not care to preserve any of it. How I wish i could correct your very wrong ideas, and yet, it is now clear that no amount of reason can reach a person who thinks this way. It is blind faith and belief - unfounded on reason and reality which clings your mind to these sentimentalisms. Maybe you are too young to recognise the virtues of good society, maybe you have an unhealthy disrespect for culture, maybe you are convinced in Enlightment propaganda that the past was dark, and the future is bright, but whatever it is, i pity you.

I have never been more content than I am now, reciting my bani, reading about my Gurus, and learning about my faith. I have never had a healthier and saner perspective on matters of politics than that afforded by a conservative sikh perspective. What I lack now in passion, i make up in truth. The prescription of a good sikh is conservative. The life of a house-holder saint? What kind of revolutionary is a house-holder? A poor one. It is true that many times in Sikh history, the sikh householder came out to fight in battle, and raise the sword against tyranny. But dont you see - that if the tyranny is not there - which it hasnt been for a long time now, then there is no need to raise the sword, and we ought to return to the life of house-holders. There is no dishonour in this - this is perfectly in accordance with Sikhi. This is desirable to a sikh society that when there is no pressing evil to oppose, we ought to be content, honorably enough with ordinary living. This means we shouldnt seek out 'reforms' that were not proposed by the Gurus. Sikh society need not worry about gay rights, about animal rights, about feminism, about equality, about the caste system, sexual liberation, and so on - and this is perfectly in line with preserving our existing and historic culture and society.The facts are all there, you choose to ignore them when you insist on seeing the point of sikhi as being eternal and perpetual reform of society. Revolutionaries cannot make a good society, that much i am sure of.

On what basis does the neo-sikh claim that Sikh society needs urgent and constant reform? Why should it be reformed? Can the neo-sikh give a coherent answer to this? Can he give an answer that doesnt tell against Sikh society - it being so vulnerable and weak that it needs constant attention to bring it up to scratch? I know what the neo-sikh will think, no matter what he says, for he will feel that men are sheep, often losing their way, and that it is the duty of people like the neo-sikh to show them light. It is he who has an ego, not me, for I do not believe I am such a person, and infact know that there are many better sikhs than I out there who have not a fraction of the education I have had, have only a fraction of the intelligence i was born with, and only a fraction of the opportunities i have had. To me good sikhs, perhaps not perfect sikhs, can be found in most places around the world, and they are people who I find to be conservatives. The neo-sikh will tell you almost none exist, for to him a good sikh is a perfect sikh, and this is his way of showing contempt for existing Sikh society. I think this says more about his unreasonableness than anything else.

Further I find the most childish and immature Sikhs to be the passionate, ideological ones, the neo-sikhs, who insult my intelligence with their feeble and destructive ideas, clamour about the perpetual decline of sikh society, ever woe about something or rather trivial, possess drastic and extremist opinions, lack tact and understanding of other cultures and religions, are driven by a hatred of the other (eg a hatred of hindus), resort to, and thrive in, and perpetuate a culture of fear and xenophobia, glean moral superiority over mostly harmless social practices (eg marriage within caste).

I do not agree with the neo-sikh at all. So why should i pretend to tolerate his ideas? Out of duty to some belief in plurality? Not even the Sikh gurus were willing to accept absurd ideas. Why should I? I believe in plurality - but only when it means listening to sensible and good men. Not any old fool, no matter how passionate and well-meaning.

To get back to your quote - Why shouldnt sikhs be conservative? Suppose in 500 years, the Sikh religion having undergone a regular and drastic assault by revolutionaries no longer resembles the faith of Guru Nanak - would this be an acceptable state of affairs to you so long as whatever it is, it is 'progressive' and revolutionary? Think this through. How can you sustain these two contradictory opinions: on one hand that Sikhs ought to stick to their roots, and on the other, that they should be revolutionaries. Whats to stop Sikhs from revolutionising Sikhi itself? Indeed this is what I believe the neo-sikhs have done, and have sought to have done.

The sikh Gurus did the greatest diservice to neo-sikhs by limiting their reign to only 9 human heirs. If they only had sympathy for the poor neo-sikh, who today is left without proper instruction by his Guru; a Guru who is quickly going of date, with nothing to say about Gays and AIDS. Unfortunately, the neo-sikh must then resort to heavy interpolation, to justify his modern views - which he borrows first and foremost from the religion called Liberalism, and then justifies it by generously re-intepreting Sikh history and philosophy.

This a great source of humour for me. On one hand the historical Sikh is aptly applauded for his forward-thinking: he gave rights to lower castes and to women, and rightly so. But because the modern Sikh doesnt want to fall behind, he clamours to be still more progressive. We cant win this race without losing our tradition. Liberalism knowns no limits - its aims are simple and shocking - 'maximum freedom of the individual', and the Sikh faith, though it has a history of increasing certain freedoms, it depends inextricably on restricting them too, and though it agreed in spirit and practice, with raising the status of the very low, and of cherishing and admiring women as integral members of good society, does not go to the extent demanded by liberalism of forcing or demanding equality.

The neo-sikh is the man running the race of liberal progress, championing the Sikh faith - though he is weighed down by the excess baggage of sikh culture, and the sooner he sheds it, the quicker he will lead the race. But supposing he leads and he does so bare naked - then he has won the race, but left behind something he claimed to be very valuable. That is the position you are in, Dalsingh. You wish to preserve sikhi and at the same time run the race to see who can make the most concessions to liberalism.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM