• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial Concept Of So-called Jhootah And Sikhism

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Sherdil said:
It's not real Amrit, from what I understand. The motivation behind it may vary from family to family. Some may see it as a sentimental gesture, a way to initiate their newborn into Sikhi, or a precautionary measure that would allow the parents to share utensils with their newborn without fear of it being "jhootah".

Taken from another thread, posted by Sherdil ji and as quoted above, what Guru Saab has said about Jooth (jhootah or jhootha)? Interestingly there is no proper word to translate the word Jhooth in English language... perhaps, Unclean...

Please discuss with full shabds and/or panna/page numbers for a ready reference and preferably with your own understanding to enable fellow readers to join you and evolve.

Gurfateh

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
I would describe "jhootah" as being food that has been partially consumed by someone else prior. I agree with the English translation of leftovers.

Certain maryadas amongst Sikhs have expanded on the concept to include any food that has been prepared or touched by a non-amritdhari. Said food is deemed unsuitable for consumption by the Khalsa initiate.

Khalsa from the Arabic word Khalis (pure).

If we are to be selective as to whom we share a meal with, then let the criteria be thus:

That person is said to be Khalis (pure) who is pure in thought and action. If the Beloved isn't found within their heart, then don't break bread with them.

GGS, page 838:

ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ਥਿਤੀ ਘਰੁ ੧੦ ਜਤਿ
बिलावलु महला १ थिती घरु १० जति
Bilāval mėhlā 1 thiṯī gẖar 10 jaṯ
Bilaaval, First Mehl, T'hitee ~ The Lunar Days, Tenth House, To The Drum-Beat Jat:

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
ੴ सतिगुर प्रसादि ॥
Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਏਕਮ ਏਕੰਕਾਰੁ ਨਿਰਾਲਾ ॥
एकम एकंकारु निराला ॥
Ėkam ekankār nirālā.
The First Day: The One Universal Creator is unique,

ਅਮਰੁ ਅਜੋਨੀ ਜਾਤਿ ਨ ਜਾਲਾ ॥
अमरु अजोनी जाति न जाला ॥
Amar ajonī jāṯ na jālā.
immortal, unborn, beyond social class or involvement.

ਅਗਮ ਅਗੋਚਰੁ ਰੂਪੁ ਨ ਰੇਖਿਆ ॥
अगम अगोचरु रूपु न रेखिआ ॥
Agam agocẖar rūp na rekẖ▫i▫ā.
He is inaccessible and unfathomable, with no form or feature.
ਖੋਜਤ ਖੋਜਤ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਦੇਖਿਆ ॥

खोजत खोजत घटि घटि देखिआ ॥
Kẖojaṯ kẖojaṯ gẖat gẖat ḏekẖi▫ā.
Searching, searching, I have seen Him in each and every heart

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
@Ishna ji,
Thanks for your thoughtful responses on this futile stiff upper lip babble.

Regarding Jhootah, it is a Hindu concept which literally means stained/spoiled/impure in Hindu mythology.

The concept of Sangat and Pangat was created by our visionary Gurus to eradicate this non existent, nonsensical barrier erected by the stiff upper lipped Pundits to keep the 'stained people' at bay.

Langar is the prime example of the eradication of Jhooth.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
In my city there are three Gurdwaras. One was founded by Malaysian diaspora Sikhs. The other two are "Punjabi". I was warned by someone not to go into the kitchen of one of the Gurdwaras, as they only allow Amritdharis to do seva.

Meanwhile, at another Gurdwara, they practically drag you into the kitchen to help, which is lovely :thumbupp:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: