Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Controversial CN Parkash S Badal's Attorney Accused Sikhs for Justice of Waging a Public Relations Campaign

Discussion in 'Hard Talk' started by spnadmin, Mar 20, 2013.

1. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Punjab CM Badal’s attorney accused Sikhs For Justice for waging a public relations campaign
    By Jagdeep Singh

Wisconsin, United States (March 19, 2013): According to a newsletter released by Human Rights and advocacy group Sikhs for Justice (SFJ): the attorney of Punjab chief minister Prakash Singh Badal has moved a motion in a US district court, seeking an order to protect the information of third-party witnesses in a pending lawsuit against the Badal Dal leader on alleged violation of human rights.

Parkash Singh Badal

CM Badal’s attorney moved the motion in a Wisconsin court on Wednesday to issue an order to protecting the information of third-party witnesses from unfettered public disclosure, characterization, and other attempts to harass and embarrass; and limiting Plaintiffs’ discovery to the three narrow aspects s approved by the court at the February 21, hearing.

Such a move from the Badal’s attorney comes two days after S Singh Kalra, an ex-director of World Sikh Council, testified before the court, whose testimony the attorney alleged has been erroneously being reported by Sikh for justice.

“Now, instead of addressing this matter through their lawyers in court, Plaintiffs are waging a public relations campaign to make it appear as if this case is something more than a simple case of mistaken service. Plaintiffs, in the name of their pursuit of the Defendant, feel free to tarnish Kalra erroneously and publicly,” Badal’s attorney told the court.

“Kalra should not be subject to such treatment. This is not what the discovery rules allow and this is not what the court contemplated at the conclusion of the February 21, 2013 hearing,” it said.

“A protective order should be entered preventing further abuse of Kalra and any other third party witness.

Moreover, no discovery information should simply be uploaded to the Internet,” the attorney said, alleging that the petitioner Sikh for Justice posted on its website erroneous public description of Kalra’s testimony.

“The account falsely claimed Mr Kalra had given a “confession” and “could not explain the purpose of his three-hour long meeting in a closed room in Pfister Hotel with high ranking Badal government officers immediately prior to testifying in Court.” Badal is facing the lawsuit on the charges of custodial torture and shielding the police officers responsible for torture and continuous human rights violations against the Sikh community in Punjab.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Doing parkash of SGGS at home? Questions and Answers Mar 31, 2014
    Gurus Parkash Diwas Guru Gobind Singh - January 5 History of Sikhism Jan 5, 2014
    Gurus Guru Ram Das Parkash Diwas - October 9 (from Sikhs Helping Sikhs) History of Sikhism Oct 9, 2013
    Gurus Parkash Guru Amar Das ji - 23 May History of Sikhism May 22, 2013
    Gurus Parkash Guru Nanak April 14 History of Sikhism Apr 13, 2013

3. Chaan Pardesi

Chaan Pardesi
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Oct 5, 2008
    I have just returned from the Punjab, and seeing the conditions of the total infra structure of the Punjab and the conditions there, I am surprised that Badal still manages to hood wink people into voting him back into power again and again.

I saw the voting count of the Moga by election.I saw many people and met with many.It comes with least surprise that result went in favour of Mr Jain, the Akali candidate.After all, only forty kror rupees[400,000,000] were spent to buy these votes.This is public information from people who live in Moga and comes first hand.

Even the most corrupted ex minister education of the Punjab, still shows tremendous arrogance and self conceited importance about himself, despite many cases registered against him and his son Makhan for sexual blackmailing of individuals, admitted that that much money was spent.

This administration has done absolutely NOTHING for the advancement of the people of Punjab and Punjab, from what I saw in 1983 last and now.

This administration supports feudalism and cronyism.Corruption is rife and openly welcome.The road structure is a total destruction to hell.

I am very surprised that despite the huge numbers of NRI Punjabis, no body seems to care about the conditions of the state, but far more interested in supporting lost causes like khalistan etc, than reality of the ground.I think the roads in Afghanistan may be far better than some of the country roads of the Punjab.

The things that have changed in the Punjab.The population has increased.
    There is very large numbers of migrant workers from other states, as the youth of Punjab are lazy and all looking for one ticket to abroad, or indulge in showing off their wealth acquired from sale of lands or relatives abroad.

Every body has a mobile, even the poorest farmer tilling the fields.Even the oldest of the old carries a phone often seen trying to run a conversation at the top of their voices.

Almost everyone has a car, even if that car should have been destroyed years ago, and the roads are not for car use. All sorts of cars are now available, even if about 90% of those who drive do not know how to drive safely nor have licences.Undertaking,overtaking, head on speeding and changing lanes at the last minute are the common practices...driving up one way road the wrong way is common and ignored even by the police; cows and bullock carts all think they have the right of way.

Horning is a skill that is used lavishly and the bigger the vehicle the more authority one has by horning the loudest.I think given all these factors deaths on the roads are few considering these dangerous drivings....!!!!!I think God has blessed Punjab with the low death rate from accidents.

Lastly, the NRIs have all built larger than life impressive bungalows, most of which are standing idle and empty if not in use for about three weks of the year.Some are slowly self destroying themselves through neglect and lack of care;others are occupied by migrant workers left to look after by the owners.Such empty shells of houses can seen be all over the Punjab, but especially more in the NRI heartland of Doaba.Why do these people build such large houses/To impress their old neighbours and relatives....that they are wealthy and powerful ....sad people..driving from Amritsar south through Makhu to Moga, one sees hundered of such houses often built away from the villages in the green wheat fields standing idle and empty.

The main road from Amritsar to Moga running through Makhu and Zira is all dug up and re filled with earth and stones that just out, the cars, lorries, carts and trucks all jump up about 8 inches off the ground as they speed about .....drivers using mobile phones while driving, with a policemen in sight is common sight....motor cyclist steering with one hand and texting with the other in built up areas is another very very common sight..ladies doing all the same ...!!!The same is the case of most other main roads like from Moga to Barnala is a death trap...

Considering all these factors I think very very few die in road accidents!

Male chauvinism against women is common especially on the busess....I witnessed three incidents,where females brave enough to shout..shouted. Spoke out loudly against the perpetrators digging their arms into the body of the female sitting next to them!One young lady even asked me to swap her seat so she can sit next to me on the other side near the window away from the person,as he was harassing her.. I then had the privilege to sit with the person ...once the seats were changed he quickly alighted...such accusations of male attitude has even come from within the Harmander sahib complex... from females.... I witnessed the total disorganised manner with which sangats are que'd to enter the Harmander Sahib...considering it is a world reknowned heritage and tourist site.......Only God himself may be able to help the Punjab and its people....not any political leader will be able to anything for the Punjab.

Women with little babies, old ladies,disabled....[although alledgedly a special entrance is sat up for such , but the use of this entrance is dependent upon the will of the so called sewadar, who are known to often misuse their position and allow favorotism, especially when younger women are concerned]are supposed to use a special lane..but I saw no such .
    • Like Like x 3
    #2 Chaan Pardesi, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  4. Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh United States
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

Jun 30, 2004
    The Following is from Sikh for Justice, an advocacy group located in New York:

Set Back To Badal In US Court – Judge Denies Motion To Stop SFJ’s Campaign

New York: (March 21, 2013)

During March 20th status conference, Judge Adelman denied Badal’s motion to stop “Sikhs For Justice” (SFJ)’s campaign to raise questions regarding credibility of Badal’s witnesses and allowed Rights group to continue deposing witnesses till March 22. CM Badal is facing a human rights violations case on the charges of commanding the police force which is responsible for extra judicial killings and continuous human rights violations against the Sikh community in Punjab. On March 13, Badal’s attorneys filed a motion for protective order to stop rights group from publicly speaking about Badal’s witnesses and to stop deposition of additional witnesses.

On Friday the March 22nd, Darshan Singh Dhaliwal who hosted CM Badal during his August 2012 visit to Wisconsin will be deposed regarding his knowledge and involvement in producing witnesses in CM Badal’s favor.

Kalra an ex-Director of World Sikh Council who claims to have been served instead of Badal, during his deposition, named Dhaliwal as the person who approached him to give an affidavit regarding August 9 service of summons at Oak Creek High School. Kalra also identified DIG Counter Intelligence Ananya Gautam as the person with whom he spent three hours in a hotel room immediately prior to testifying in the court on February 21.

Kalra also claimed that he had no knowledge about the lawsuit against CM Badal until February 2013. Challenging verocity of Kalra’s claim, SFJ submitted to the US court, an affidavit of Ms. Sukhdev Kaur Ghuman, ex President of Palatine Gurudwara, Illinois verifying Kalra’s participation in December 2012 meeting of SAD (Amritsar) in which Badal’s lawsuit and service of summons was discussed at length. Another Affidavit of Convener of the meeting Boota Singh states that Kalra not only attended the SAD meeting in December but also addressed the gathering and praised the efforts to bring a known human rights violator, Badal, to the books.

SFJ also submitted the pictures of the SAD (Amritsar) meeting in which Kalra is sitting next to plaintiff Jeet Singh Alloarakh when he was addressing the gathering.

In pursuit of justice, stated attorney Gurpatwant Singh Pannun, legal advisor to SFJ, every individual who has information and is connected to service of summons on Badal will be deposed to unearth the truth. Today the US Court has once again upheld the sanctity of freedom of speech by denying CM Badal’s motion which was an attempt to muzzle victim’s voice, added Pannun.

Sikhs for Justice (SFJ) and SAD (Amritsar) filed a human rights violations case against Badal on charges of commanding the police force which is responsible for extra judicial killings and continuous human rights violations against the Sikh community in Punjab. Parkash Badal has been head of the Government in the Indian State of Punjab for more than twelve years from 1997 till 2002 and from 2007 till present and there have been several hundred cases of extrajudicial killings, police tortures and human rights violations during this time.

Issued By:
    Gurpatwant S Pannun, Legal Advisor, Sikhs For Justice
    T 718-938-7801 E: gurpatwant.pannun@sikhsforjustice.org | gurpatwant.pannun@gmail.com
    • Like Like x 1
  5. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Thank you very much Tejwant ji for the follow-up. I had not caught up with this article. And it is positive news in a negative tide.