• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial Clean-Shaven Sikhs Banned From Australian Gurdwaras. Isn't Sikhism Nondenominational?

Suntink

SPNer
Nov 6, 2008
Dear Sir of Madame,

Recently I read about a ban on clean shaven Sikhs in a Gurdwara in Australia. This got me thinking about how the original message of Guru Nanak is being altered by certain individual interests. It is true that Guru Gobind Singh asked Sikhs not to cut their hair and that is the correct Sikh religious principle. However Sikhism has always and will always be a non-denomination religion. That’s what makes Sikhism special. In our Gurdwaras, we allow everyone to enter, whether they’ve done something bad in their life, whether they are Punjabi, Hindu, White or Black. It does not matter. All we ask is that men and women sit separately and cover their heads so that the Gurdwara become a holy and prayerful place. You do not need to wear Punjabi clothes, or wear white, or wear blue and orange. You do not need to even be Punjabi to come to a Gurdwara and eat some food from the langar. That is how most Gurdwaras operate around the world, in America, Canada, Europe or India. However, recently some Gurdwaras like the ones in Australia are banning clean shaven Sikhs. I tried to research more about this issue but I could no longer find the news article. I hope that the Sikh community in Australia becomes more active and demands that their Gurdwara allows anyone to enter. Or if they do not want to they have to declare themselves as practicing a different kind of Sikhism. People cannot be confused into thinking that these are the original Sikh practices. Slowly as we enter the future we begin to realize what are Gurus may have meant when they preached that this is a Dark Age. Maybe they meant that even a religion like Sikhism will change in the wrong direction overtime if people do not want to stand up for the true religion. I know of people who have been convinced to follow holy men, and people who have been convinced in so many things that are anti-Gurmat. I remember in a book which I was just trying to find, but it has disappeared temporarily from my house that 3HO would claim that wearing white for 40 days would make you soul pure, and your mind pure, and clean your character. So for people who tell me “So what if they wear white!.” Like on sikhsangat.com. I am sure that people are missing my point, just look at some of the claims in Yoga Secrets for Business success by Darshan Singh Khalsa you will understand a little bit of what I mean that these are not Sikh beliefs. That’s all, people can believe them but a Sikh is not suppose to. This is really the essence of my message. So in a long story cut short, now is the time to bring Sikhism back to what it was. If you do not feel that people who are clean shaven are following Sikhism that is your choice but they deserve to go to Gurdwaras the way a person who is not even Sikh does.

Thanks and Sincerely,

Suntink
:cool:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Re: Clean Shaven Sikhs banned from Gurdwaras in Australia. Sikhism is meant to be Non

Sikhi is more than defined by others, it is to live in His love, if a little "self conceit" exists, it slips away. Follow Gurubani to be Sikh and to live like a Sikh. I bow to them who with inspiration from Gurbani, try to reach to the level of Sikhi required by our Guru ji, please read on
ਪੰਨਾ 722, ਸਤਰ 13ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਈਐਤਾ ਸਹੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਅਉਰੁ ਕੈਸੀ ਚਤੁਰਾਈ

Āp gavā▫ī▫ai ā saho pā▫ī▫ai a▫or kaisī caurā▫ī.
Give up your selfhood, and so obtain your Husband Lord; what other clever tricks are of any use?
ਮਃ 1
ਪੰਨਾ 841, ਸਤਰ 11ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਈਐ
Gur parsādī āp gavā▫ī▫ai.
By Guru's Grace, self-conceit is eradicated.
ਮਃ 3
ਮਃ ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ ਫਿਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਹਦਿਆ ਉਠਦਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ਜੋ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਧਿਆਏ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੋ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਵੈ
4th Guru. He, who calls himself a Sikh of the Great True Guru, should rise early and meditate on God's Name. He should make efforts early in the morning take bath and have ablution in the tank of Nectar. By repeating Lords God's Name under Guru's instruction all his sins misdeeds and accusations are wiped off. Afterwards at sun rise he sings Gurbani and whilst sitting or standing he meditates in God's Name. The Guru's disciple who with every breath and morsel contemplates over my Lord God he becomes pleasing to Guru's mind.
ਭਲਕੇ = ਨਿੱਤ ਸਵੇਰੇਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਸਰਿ = ਨਾਮ-ਰੂਪ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਦੇ ਸਰੋਵਰ ਵਿਚਉਪਦੇਸਿ = ਉਪਦੇਸ਼ ਦੀ ਰਾਹੀਂਕਿਲਵਿਖ = ਪਾਪਸਾਸਿ = ਸਾਹ ਦੇ ਨਾਲਗਿਰਾਸਿ = ਗਿਰਾਹੀ ਦੇ ਨਾਲਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ =ਹਰ ਦਮ

ਜੋਮਨੁੱਖ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਦਾ (ਸੱਚਾ) ਸਿੱਖ ਅਖਵਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ (ਭਾਵ, ਜਿਸ ਨੂੰ ਲੋਕ ਸੱਚਾ ਸਿੱਖਆਖਦੇ ਹਨ) ਉਹ ਰੋਜ਼ ਸਵੇਰੇ ਉੱਠ ਕੇ ਹਰਿ-ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ, ਹਰ ਰੋਜ਼ ਸਵੇਰੇਉੱਦਮ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ, ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ (ਤੇ ਫਿਰ ਨਾਮ-ਰੂਪ) ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਦੇ ਸਰੋਵਰ ਵਿਚ ਟੁੱਭੀਲਾਉਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਉਪਦੇਸ਼ ਦੁਆਰਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਜਾਪ ਜਪਦਾ ਹੈ ਤੇ (ਇਸਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ) ਉਸ ਦੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਪਾਪ-ਵਿਕਾਰ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ; ਫਿਰ ਦਿਨਚੜ੍ਹੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਬਾਣੀਦਾ ਕੀਰਤਨ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ ਤੇ (ਦਿਹਾੜੀ) ਬਹਿੰਦਿਆਂ ਉੱਠਦਿਆਂ (ਭਾਵ, ਕਾਰ-ਕਿਰਤ ਕਰਦਿਆਂ)ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਸਿਮਰਦਾ ਹੈਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਮਨ ਵਿਚ ਉਹ ਸਿੱਖ ਚੰਗਾ ਲੱਗਦਾ ਹੈ ਜੋਪਿਆਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨੂੰ ਹਰ ਦਮ ਯਾਦ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM