• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Christianity Christianity In Punjab

BaljeetSingh

SPNer
Jun 24, 2005
USA
Dear all - I attended a convention organized by Amerian Academy of Religion - Society of Biblical Literature in Philadelphia in November 2005. There were hundereds of discussion/presentations held over three days period. There were many interesting topics covered. Among many other topics, there was a topic about "Men's Studies in Religion Group". I am typing in the exact text of the topic here:

"This session will examine the construction and experience of masculinities in the contexts of Mormonism, Sikhism, and evangelical Christainity. The paper address fathering in an evangelical context, colonialism and its effect on Sikh masculanity, Christology in film and the masculanity it supports, and gender roles within Mormon masculanity"

Navdeep Mandier from UK presented his paper under this discussion forum.

Among other things he presented during the presentation, he mentioned about the interest of British (and Chritians) in making strong relations with socities/cultures that exhibit musculine characteristics. Sikhism being one of them with display of kirpan and flowing beard, the British (and Christians) got attracted towards Sikhs.

Now, here are my thoughts....British tried to tame the Sikhs throughout the Raj. Our kirpan which used to be three feet long was shortened to 6 inches. Sikh soldiers were asked to be tie up their flowing beard.

Recently, I atteneded a presentation by a famous US Sikh personality in Philadelphia. He showed pictures of how Christains missionarries are active in Punjab right now. They are targetting the weak sikhs and bringing them over to their side. By weak sikhs, I mean those who do not wear turban and trim their beards, cut hair, smoke tobacco, etc.

Now, today I read a news paper article about BJP leasders questioning why the "Da Vinci Code" movie is banned in Punjab and Nagaland. I was taken by surprise....Though, the "Da Vinci Code" movies is a piece of fiction, it goes against directly against the prinicples of Christianity. There is suggestion in the movie that Jesus Christ actually got married and fathered a son.

I am neither in favor or against the movie, but am surprised to know that this movie is banned in Punjab. I can understand why it is banned in Nagaland as majority of the population there is Christain, but why it is banned in Punjab??? Does the Christain led Congress government (goverened by a Sikh) fear that the spread of Chirtianity will be affected if this movie it shown in Punjab?

I don't know the answer, but I was justtrying to put 2 + 2 together and reading in between the lines to understand hat is going on....Any thoughts??

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

In district like Gurdaspur we have Christians are about 8%.

Due to Punjab with the highest percentage of depreived section of Indian socity ie SC we have them in large number to convert in Chrsitianity.

Das call upon both Sikhs and hindus alike that this number will increase further in Chrsitinaity if Caste is not abolished.

As There is eqaultiy in Chrsitians so they win converts with no fualt of them.Same has to be done Sikhs as it was done during the time oif Panch Khalsa Deewan of Bhsaur.Hindus need to follow Swami Vevekananda.

We do not have to use duoble standard as if some one Chrsitian becomes Sikh or Hindu in West we are happy but if soething reverse happens in India we are unhappy.

So if they found salvation in jesus is OK,but problem comes when conversion is as result of soailc disparity as later it may make Punajb as lebnon.So forst socail reform is needed and then reconversion can occur.

BaljeetSingh

SPNer
Jun 24, 2005
USA
Ok..here is something interesting I found. On this website, on the same post, I saw an advertisement by "Biblical Counselors".

Well....I give up...These guys are everywhere....even on this web site...So, SikhPhilosophy.net, a website about Sikhism, is having Chritian missionaries as sponsors:eek:

Dec 8, 2005
i guess one need not be so suspicious about ban on da vinci code.

It is natural to happen in punjab this ban.

we worship GOd by all it s name wahe guru , jesus , ram allah.

we are not atheist set of people.

So if christians in punjab which are about 3 % in punab are going to be hurt by a movies.

we will respect there sentiments and see to it that there faith is not in anyway trampled byt the modern Dan brown.

Nank nam chsdi kala ter bane sarbat tha bhalla

love

hps62

[quote=BaljeetSingh]Ok..here is something interesting I found. On this website, on the same post, I saw an advertisement by "Biblical Counselors".

Well....I give up...These guys are everywhere....even on this web site...So, SikhPhilosophy.net, a website about Sikhism, is having Chritian missionaries as sponsors:eek:[/quote]

dear baljeet

Dont give up.

welcome them and learn from them and then exchange ideas knowledge , love gifts.
dont distrust creep in your mind.

we are all children of one god .

we mus t know how to love and respect each other

love

hps62

Last edited:

BaljeetSingh

SPNer
Jun 24, 2005
USA
If it was about Christian's sentiments, then why not ban the movie all over India....Why ban only in Punjab and Nagaland?

I have nothing against Christians or their religion. We all all children of one God. I was just trying to put 2 + 2 together and have a look at the big picture and not at one or two small incidents.

Dec 8, 2005
dear baljeet

this is because the sikh way of life is one of belief in one god .

Where ever there will be a flavour of sikh way of life there will be no religious conflict till some one is wrongly attacked or some one is playing a smart move.

so the ban is absolutely essential and justified in punjab.

be proud of it

with love

hps62

Dec 8, 2005
Dear brother

you seem to be a scared variant of life .

if you go thru history of punjab then you shall realise that Punjab is the "oldest melting POT" in man kinds history .

USA may be the biggest melting pot but it is not the oldest one nor is it naturally driven. It is more driven by a capitalist model of melting pot.

To broadly recaputilate we SIKHS are a divine fusion of :-

Major Events In Punjabi History: -

• 500,000 Years: Pre-historic and Proto-historic existance of early mankind
  • 2500 - 1500 B.C.: Harappa Culture
  • 2500 - 700 B.C.: Rigvedic Aryan Civilization
  • 599 B.C.: Jainism
  • 567 - 487 B.C.: Budha
  • 550 B.C - 600 A.D.: Budhism remained prevelent
Aryan Migrations (516 BC -- 321 AD)
Persian Rule (516 BC -- 321 AD)
Alexander's Invasion (321 AD)
Muslim Invasions (713 AD --1300 AD)
Rise of Sikhs (1700 AD -2006 AD).

We the sikhs have this unique gift of inheriting the strongest , adventurer and mobile genes in world.

Christianity is not new to punjab.

Sikhs have lived thru the rules of Britisher with whom we are the best of friends.

Christianity like other religions has greatly enriched to the land of Punjab .

Your schools ,colleges, technology, engineering , science, medicine are all of christian world.

If any thing we can thank them for this .

I am sure as SIKHS we have the unique divine capacity to learn from any one and enrich our self in process.

May Lord Jesus shine like a star over Punjab to bless its people.

Having said this I must also say that Sikhs are not a bunch of group of bearded people.

They have a history and a legacy to be proud of which they cherish at all cost.

They are looking boldly forward to be a shining star on this planet for all the living species.

Nanak Naam chadi Kalla ter bane sarvat the bhalla.

love:) :wah:

hps62

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
BaljeetSingh said:
Ok..here is something interesting I found. On this website, on the same post, I saw an advertisement by "Biblical Counselors".

Well....I give up...These guys are everywhere....even on this web site...So, SikhPhilosophy.net, a website about Sikhism, is having Chritian missionaries as sponsors:eek:
Dear Baljeet veer,

Most of us had their picture displayed in avtaar. There are tonnes of our postings depicting our views on Sikhi. About me, lot of people on this site have viewed me on cam too, and I make myself reachable anytime. so about sponsorship....Mere veer, you were too quick to put forward your conclusion.

Request to Site Admin Aman, please spare some time to satisfy this curiosity about sponsorship.

Guru Ang Sang ji.
Arvind.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
The advertisement put up on SPN are at the moment sponsored by Google Inc. as you can see from their name mentioned around each advertising strip. There advertisement are dynamically content based so when a topic is being discussed like Bible then those kind of advertisement are shown. The idea is that if a person is interested in that topic then s/he might also be in those advertisements. A members clicking those ads generates much needed revenue for website maintenance, which we are doing voluntarily and with support of its supporting members. You all can have a look at the list of all donors who have supported SPN from one time to another. The list of supporter/donors is --> HERE

We hope you doubts are cleared by now. :)

Enjoy SPN!!

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

when Parthian or Pahlaws annexed Punjab anlong side being Zorsthrians some of them were Chrsitans by St Thomas.Perhaps King Mazdat was a conert.And he was in Punjab and as per one Hisroty Book they discovered a runi of Church but some say it to be Parsi worship site.So Chritians are not nwe but in old time they all reverted back to say Sanatan Dharama.(any way True Christianty as in orthodox faith is Sanatan Dharma).

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM