Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Charity at gurdwara

Discussion in 'Hard Talk' started by raj008, Mar 24, 2014.

1. raj008

raj008 United States
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Folks

I didn't know where the post this really. I have a question about charity at gurdwaras. I visit multiple gurdwara often during the week since they are all in my route between jobs. As everybody does, I donate a few dollars every time I go but never get a receipt since those are usually given out for higher amounts

Do other people take this as charity on their annual tax forms? Although it's not a large amount, it's still substantial for me and can help me save some money and help me re-donate that money back to the gurdwara

Thanks

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Khalsa Aid Sikh Charity Praised For Helping Stranded UK Travellers Sikh Organisations Jul 26, 2016
    Sikh News Sikh Charity Praised For Helping Stranded UK Travellers - NDTV Breaking News Jul 26, 2016
    Burrowbridge charity activist and North Curry stalwart honoured in Chairman's Awards Sikh Personalities Oct 31, 2015
    Opinion Charity: A Positive Side of All Religions Breaking News Apr 22, 2013
    If You're Driven To Give To Charity … Business, Lifestyle & Leisure Jun 25, 2012

3. Harry Haller

Harry Haller United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

When I give money to beggars, I always get someone to take a photo of me, and that has been accepted by my local tax office, but you need to get a close up of the beggar and the amount, having said that, like you, I only ever give a few dollars, and I find that the postage exceeds the refund!

4. ActsOfGod

ActsOfGod
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

I have always considered all my wealth as a gift from God in the first place. So I never look at the amount when giving. As long as it's given with a pure intention. In fact it's a misnomer to even say that I am "giving", I'm merely returning a tiny portion of what has been given to me by the generous Lord.

Why don't you consider also donating to the local homeless shelter, or other organizations dedicated to serving humanity, in addition to the Gurudwara?

And rather than focus on saving money, why not turn your focus onto earning even more money so that you can donate even more?

AoG

• Like Like x 1
  5. raj008

raj008 United States
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

AoG - I really like your answer. In fact, the last part is exactly what I'm trying to do. Trying to save on taxes so that I can donate more

• Like Like x 1