• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Charity At Gurdwara

raj008

SPNer
Dec 4, 2010
Folks

I didn't know where the post this really. I have a question about charity at gurdwaras. I visit multiple gurdwara often during the week since they are all in my route between jobs. As everybody does, I donate a few dollars every time I go but never get a receipt since those are usually given out for higher amounts

Do other people take this as charity on their annual tax forms? Although it's not a large amount, it's still substantial for me and can help me save some money and help me re-donate that money back to the gurdwara

Thanks

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
When I give money to beggars, I always get someone to take a photo of me, and that has been accepted by my local tax office, but you need to get a close up of the beggar and the amount, having said that, like you, I only ever give a few dollars, and I find that the postage exceeds the refund!

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
Do other people take this as charity on their annual tax forms? Although it's not a large amount, it's still substantial for me and can help me save some money and help me re-donate that money back to the gurdwara

I have always considered all my wealth as a gift from God in the first place. So I never look at the amount when giving. As long as it's given with a pure intention. In fact it's a misnomer to even say that I am "giving", I'm merely returning a tiny portion of what has been given to me by the generous Lord.

Why don't you consider also donating to the local homeless shelter, or other organizations dedicated to serving humanity, in addition to the Gurudwara?

And rather than focus on saving money, why not turn your focus onto earning even more money so that you can donate even more?

AoG

raj008

SPNer
Dec 4, 2010
AoG - I really like your answer. In fact, the last part is exactly what I'm trying to do. Trying to save on taxes so that I can donate more

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM