• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Character Counts !

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
The Six Pillars of Character

Trustworthiness

Be honest • Don’t deceive, cheat or steal • Be reliable — do what you say you’ll do • Have the courage to do the right thing • Build a good reputation • Be loyal — stand by your family, friends and country

Respect

Treat others with respect; follow the Golden Rule • Be tolerant of differences • Use good manners, not bad language • Be considerate of the feelings of others • Don’t threaten, hit or hurt anyone • Deal peacefully with anger, insults and disagreements

Responsibility

Do what you are supposed to do • Persevere: keep on trying! • Always do your best • Use self-control • Be self-disciplined • Think before you act — consider the consequences • Be accountable for your choices

Fairness

Play by the rules • Take turns and share • Be open-minded; listen to others • Don’t take advantage of others • Don’t blame others carelessly

Caring

Be kind • Be compassionate and show you care • Express gratitude • Forgive others • Help people in need

Citizenship

Do your share to make your school and community better • Cooperate • Get involved in community affairs • Stay informed; vote • Be a good neighbor • Obey laws and rules • Respect authority • Protect the environment

A more detailed discussion of the Six Pillars is available at
Making Ethical Decisions booklet - From the Josephson Institute of Ethics

Apr 4, 2007
excellent!

let's add a sikh perspective:
:)

(i encourage everyone to add their own sikh perspective to this, let's see what we come up with!)

The Six Pillars of Character

Trustworthiness

Be honest • Don’t deceive, cheat or steal • Be reliable — do what you say you’ll do • Have the courage to do the right thing • Build a good reputation • Be loyal — stand by your family, friends and country

Kirat Karni: to honestly earn by ones physical and mental effort, while accepting Gods gifts and blessing. One is to speak the truth at all times and only fear God. Live a life of decency, high moral values and spirituality.

Sat is the virtue of truthful living, which means practicing "righteousness, honesty, justice, impartiality and fair play

ਨਾਉ ਨੀਰੁ ਚੰਗਿਆਈਆ ਸਤੁ ਪਰਮਲੁ ਤਨਿ ਵਾਸੁ ॥
Bathe in the waters of Goodness and apply the scented oil of Truth to your body,

ਤਾ ਮੁਖੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਉਜਲਾ ਲਖ ਦਾਤੀ ਇਕ ਦਾਤਿ ॥
and your face shall become radiant. This is the gift of 100,000 gifts.
SGGS p. 16

Respect

Treat others with respect; follow the Golden Rule • Be tolerant of differences • Use good manners, not bad language • Be considerate of the feelings of others • Don’t threaten, hit or hurt anyone • Deal peacefully with anger, insults and disagreements

avoid the "five evils" of Kam (Lust), Krodh (Rage), Lobh (Greed), Moh (Attachment) and Ahankar (ego)

ਕਾਨੜਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
Kaanraa, Fifth Mehl:

ਬਿਸਰਿ ਗਈ ਸਭ ਤਾਤਿ ਪਰਾਈ ॥
I have totally forgotten my jealousy of others,

ਜਬ ਤੇ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਮੋਹਿ ਪਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
since I found the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. ||1||Pause||

ਨਾ ਕੋ ਬੈਰੀ ਨਹੀ ਬਿਗਾਨਾ ਸਗਲ ਸੰਗਿ ਹਮ ਕਉ ਬਨਿ ਆਈ ॥੧॥
No one is my enemy, and no one is a stranger. I get along with everyone. ||1||

ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੀਨੋ ਸੋ ਭਲ ਮਾਨਿਓ ਏਹ ਸੁਮਤਿ ਸਾਧੂ ਤੇ ਪਾਈ ॥੨॥
Whatever God does, I accept that as good. This is the sublime wisdom I have obtained from the Holy. ||2||

ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਰਵਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਏਕੈ ਪੇਖਿ ਪੇਖਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਗਸਾਈ ॥੩॥੮॥
The One God is pervading in all. Gazing upon Him, beholding Him, Nanak blossoms forth in happiness. ||3||8||

SGGS p. 1299

Responsibility

Do what you are supposed to do • Persevere: keep on trying! • Always do your best • Use self-control • Be self-disciplined • Think before you act — consider the consequences • Be accountable for your choices

Kirat Karni, Karma...

ਕਰਮ ਧਰਤੀ ਸਰੀਰੁ ਜੁਗ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਜੋ ਬੋਵੈ ਸੋ ਖਾਤਿ ॥
The body is the field of karma in this age; whatever you plant, you shall harvest.
SGGS p. 78

ਆਪੇ ਬੀਜਿ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਖਾਹੁ ॥
You shall harvest what you plant.
SGGS p. 4

ਦਦੈ ਦੋਸੁ ਨ ਦੇਊ ਕਿਸੈ ਦੋਸੁ ਕਰੰਮਾ ਆਪਣਿਆ ॥
Dadda: Do not blame anyone else; blame instead your own actions.

ਜੋ ਮੈ ਕੀਆ ਸੋ ਮੈ ਪਾਇਆ ਦੋਸੁ ਨ ਦੀਜੈ ਅਵਰ ਜਨਾ ॥੨੧॥
Whatever I did, for that I have suffered; I do not blame anyone else.
SGGS p. 43

Fairness

Play by the rules • Take turns and share • Be open-minded; listen to others • Don’t take advantage of others • Don’t blame others carelessly

ਉਸਤਤਿ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਦੋਊ ਤਿਆਗੈ ਖੋਜੈ ਪਦੁ ਨਿਰਬਾਨਾ ॥
Renounce both praise and blame; seek instead the state of Nirvaanaa. ||21||
SGGS p. 219

The Sikh Langar or free kitchen was started by Guru Nanak Dev ji. It is designed to uphold the principle of equality between all people of the world regardless of religion, caste, colour, creed, age, gender or social status. In addition to the ideals of equality, the tradition of Langar expresses the ethics of sharing, community, inclusiveness and oneness of all humankind. "..the Light of God is in all hearts."

fair treatment of women:

ਮਃ ੧ ॥
First Mehl:

ਭੰਡਿ ਜੰਮੀਐ ਭੰਡਿ ਨਿੰਮੀਐ ਭੰਡਿ ਮੰਗਣੁ ਵੀਆਹੁ ॥
From woman, man is born; within woman, man is conceived; to woman he is engaged and married.

ਭੰਡਹੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਦੋਸਤੀ ਭੰਡਹੁ ਚਲੈ ਰਾਹੁ ॥
Woman becomes his friend; through woman, the future generations come.

ਭੰਡੁ ਮੁਆ ਭੰਡੁ ਭਾਲੀਐ ਭੰਡਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਬੰਧਾਨੁ ॥
When his woman dies, he seeks another woman; to woman he is bound.

ਸੋ ਕਿਉ ਮੰਦਾ ਆਖੀਐ ਜਿਤੁ ਜੰਮਹਿ ਰਾਜਾਨ ॥
So why call her bad? From her, kings are born.

ਭੰਡਹੁ ਹੀ ਭੰਡੁ ਊਪਜੈ ਭੰਡੈ ਬਾਝੁ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥
From woman, woman is born; without woman, there would be no one at all.
SGGS p. 473

Caring

Be kind • Be compassionate and show you care • Express gratitude • Forgive others • Help people in need

Daya, compassion, of one of the "five virtues".

DAYA , meaning to sympathize with, to have pity on, stands for compassion, sympathy. It means ‘suffering in the suffering of all beings’. It is deeper and more positive in sentiment than sympathy. Daya, cognitively, observes alien pain; affectively, it gets touched by it and moves with affectional responses for the sufferer; and cognitively it moves one to act mercifully, pityingly, with kindness and forgiveness.

ਮਨੁ ਮੋਤੀ ਜੇ ਗਹਣਾ ਹੋਵੈ ਪਉਣੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੂਤ ਧਾਰੀ ॥
If the pearl of the mind is strung like a jewel on the thread of the breath,

ਖਿਮਾ ਸੀਗਾਰੁ ਕਾਮਣਿ ਤਨਿ ਪਹਿਰੈ ਰਾਵੈ ਲਾਲ ਪਿਆਰੀ ॥੧॥
and the soul-bride adorns her body with compassion, then the Beloved Lord will enjoy His lovely bride. ||1||
SGGS p. 359

ਸਚੈ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਚਲਦਿਆ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਕਰੇ ਜਹਾਨੁ ॥
Those who walk on the Path of Truth shall be praised throughout the world.

ਅਠਸਠਿ ਤੀਰਥ ਸਗਲ ਪੁੰਨ ਜੀਅ ਦਇਆ ਪਰਵਾਨੁ ॥
Be kind to all beings-this is more meritorious than bathing at the sixty-eight sacred shrines of pilgrimage and the giving of charity.

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦੇਵੈ ਦਇਆ ਕਰਿ ਸੋਈ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਸੁਜਾਨੁ ॥
That person, upon whom the Lord bestows His Mercy, is a wise person.
SGGS p.136

Citizenship

Do your share to make your school and community better • Cooperate • Get involved in community affairs • Stay informed; vote • Be a good neighbor • Obey laws and rules • Respect authority • Protect the environment

Vand Ke Chakna - To share the fruits of one’s labor with others before considering oneself. Thus, to live as an inspiration and a support to the entire community.
one of the three pillars of sikhism.

gurasikhaa gurasikh saevaa laaeiaa||
saadhh sa(n)gath kar saev sukh fal paaeiaa||
thaparr jhaarr vishhaae dhhoorree naaeiaa||
korae matt anaae neer bharaaeiaa||
aan mehaa parasaadh va(n)dd khuaaeiaa ||aa||

The Sikhs of the Guru inspire the Sikhs of the Guru to serve.
Serving the holy congregation they receive the fruit of happiness.
Sweeping and spreading the sitting mats they bathe in the dust of the holy congregation.
They bring unused pitchers and fill them with water (to get it cold).
They bring sacred food (maha parshad), distribute it among others and eat.

Bhai Gurdas ji Vaars.

Seva: selfless service to others. Core belief of all Sikhs.

ਸੇਵਾ ਕਰਤ ਹੋਇ ਨਿਹਕਾਮੀ ॥
One who performs selfless service, without thought of reward,

ਤਿਸ ਕਉ ਹੋਤ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਸੁਆਮੀ ॥
shall attain his Lord and Master.
SGGS p. 286

ਵਿਚਿ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਸੇਵ ਕਮਾਈਐ ॥ ਤਾ ਦਰਗਹ ਬੈਸਣੁ ਪਾਈਐ ॥
In the midst of this world, do seva, and you shall be given a place of honor in the Court of the Lord.
SGGS p. 26

"Sarbaht dah Phahla" or "Blessings for Everyone" or literally "May everyone Prosper" This statements is repeated by all practising Sikhs at least twice daily as part of their Nitnem (daily prayers). This concept is central to Sikhism and forms a very important and essential role in the religious philosophy of the Sikh Gurus. To put this in very concise and clear language, it means that the Sikh desires, prays and asks God for the well being of all of humanity, prosperity for everyone in the worldwide community and Global Peace for the entire planet.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
A man who doesn't trust himself can never really trust anyone else.
To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved.
Self-trust is the first secret of success.

In my day, we didn't have self-esteem, we had self-respect, and no more of it than we had earned.
Whatever games are played with us, we must play no games with ourselves.
We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit.

When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?
Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family.
Make it a point to do something every day that you don't want to do. This is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain.

If a child lives with fairness, he learns justice
Seeing only what is fair, Sipping only what is sweet, Thou dost mock at fate and care.

Wisdom is also honoring people and caring about their rights. It is reflected in
the courtesy with which we treat others.

Before Man made us citizens, great Nature made us men.
I am not an Athenian or a Greek, but a citizen of the world.

(Wisdom Quotes on the above-mentioned six pillars.)

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Thanks Jasleen Kaur ji & Namjap ji for your wonderful inputs.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

excellent!

let's add a sikh perspective: :)

(i encourage everyone to add their own sikh perspective to this, let's see what we come up with!)

Kirat Karni: to honestly earn by ones physical and mental effort, while accepting Gods gifts and blessing. One is to speak the truth at all times and only fear God. Live a life of decency, high moral values and spirituality.

Sat is the virtue of truthful living, which means practicing "righteousness, honesty, justice, impartiality and fair play

ਨਾਉ ਨੀਰੁ ਚੰਗਿਆਈਆ ਸਤੁ ਪਰਮਲੁ ਤਨਿ ਵਾਸੁ ॥
Bathe in the waters of Goodness and apply the scented oil of Truth to your body,

ਤਾ ਮੁਖੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਉਜਲਾ ਲਖ ਦਾਤੀ ਇਕ ਦਾਤਿ ॥
and your face shall become radiant. This is the gift of 100,000 gifts.
SGGS p. 16

avoid the "five evils" of Kam (Lust), Krodh (Rage), Lobh (Greed), Moh (Attachment) and Ahankar (ego)

ਕਾਨੜਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
Kaanraa, Fifth Mehl:

ਬਿਸਰਿ ਗਈ ਸਭ ਤਾਤਿ ਪਰਾਈ ॥
I have totally forgotten my jealousy of others,

ਜਬ ਤੇ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਮੋਹਿ ਪਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
since I found the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. ||1||Pause||

ਨਾ ਕੋ ਬੈਰੀ ਨਹੀ ਬਿਗਾਨਾ ਸਗਲ ਸੰਗਿ ਹਮ ਕਉ ਬਨਿ ਆਈ ॥੧॥
No one is my enemy, and no one is a stranger. I get along with everyone. ||1||

ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੀਨੋ ਸੋ ਭਲ ਮਾਨਿਓ ਏਹ ਸੁਮਤਿ ਸਾਧੂ ਤੇ ਪਾਈ ॥੨॥
Whatever God does, I accept that as good. This is the sublime wisdom I have obtained from the Holy. ||2||

ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਰਵਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਏਕੈ ਪੇਖਿ ਪੇਖਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਗਸਾਈ ॥੩॥੮॥
The One God is pervading in all. Gazing upon Him, beholding Him, Nanak blossoms forth in happiness. ||3||8||
SGGS p. 1299

Kirat Karni, Karma...

ਕਰਮ ਧਰਤੀ ਸਰੀਰੁ ਜੁਗ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਜੋ ਬੋਵੈ ਸੋ ਖਾਤਿ ॥
The body is the field of karma in this age; whatever you plant, you shall harvest.
SGGS p. 78

ਆਪੇ ਬੀਜਿ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਖਾਹੁ ॥
You shall harvest what you plant.
SGGS p. 4

ਦਦੈ ਦੋਸੁ ਨ ਦੇਊ ਕਿਸੈ ਦੋਸੁ ਕਰੰਮਾ ਆਪਣਿਆ ॥
Dadda: Do not blame anyone else; blame instead your own actions.

ਜੋ ਮੈ ਕੀਆ ਸੋ ਮੈ ਪਾਇਆ ਦੋਸੁ ਨ ਦੀਜੈ ਅਵਰ ਜਨਾ ॥੨੧॥
Whatever I did, for that I have suffered; I do not blame anyone else.
SGGS p. 43

ਉਸਤਤਿ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਦੋਊ ਤਿਆਗੈ ਖੋਜੈ ਪਦੁ ਨਿਰਬਾਨਾ ॥
Renounce both praise and blame; seek instead the state of Nirvaanaa. ||21||
SGGS p. 219

The Sikh Langar or free kitchen was started by Guru Nanak Dev ji. It is designed to uphold the principle of equality between all people of the world regardless of religion, caste, colour, creed, age, gender or social status. In addition to the ideals of equality, the tradition of Langar expresses the ethics of sharing, community, inclusiveness and oneness of all humankind. "..the Light of God is in all hearts."

fair treatment of women:

ਮਃ ੧ ॥
First Mehl:

ਭੰਡਿ ਜੰਮੀਐ ਭੰਡਿ ਨਿੰਮੀਐ ਭੰਡਿ ਮੰਗਣੁ ਵੀਆਹੁ ॥
From woman, man is born; within woman, man is conceived; to woman he is engaged and married.

ਭੰਡਹੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਦੋਸਤੀ ਭੰਡਹੁ ਚਲੈ ਰਾਹੁ ॥
Woman becomes his friend; through woman, the future generations come.

ਭੰਡੁ ਮੁਆ ਭੰਡੁ ਭਾਲੀਐ ਭੰਡਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਬੰਧਾਨੁ ॥
When his woman dies, he seeks another woman; to woman he is bound.

ਸੋ ਕਿਉ ਮੰਦਾ ਆਖੀਐ ਜਿਤੁ ਜੰਮਹਿ ਰਾਜਾਨ ॥
So why call her bad? From her, kings are born.

ਭੰਡਹੁ ਹੀ ਭੰਡੁ ਊਪਜੈ ਭੰਡੈ ਬਾਝੁ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥
From woman, woman is born; without woman, there would be no one at all.
SGGS p. 473

Daya, compassion, of one of the "five virtues".

DAYA , meaning to sympathize with, to have pity on, stands for compassion, sympathy. It means ‘suffering in the suffering of all beings’. It is deeper and more positive in sentiment than sympathy. Daya, cognitively, observes alien pain; affectively, it gets touched by it and moves with affectional responses for the sufferer; and cognitively it moves one to act mercifully, pityingly, with kindness and forgiveness.

ਮਨੁ ਮੋਤੀ ਜੇ ਗਹਣਾ ਹੋਵੈ ਪਉਣੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੂਤ ਧਾਰੀ ॥
If the pearl of the mind is strung like a jewel on the thread of the breath,

ਖਿਮਾ ਸੀਗਾਰੁ ਕਾਮਣਿ ਤਨਿ ਪਹਿਰੈ ਰਾਵੈ ਲਾਲ ਪਿਆਰੀ ॥੧॥
and the soul-bride adorns her body with compassion, then the Beloved Lord will enjoy His lovely bride. ||1||
SGGS p. 359

ਸਚੈ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਚਲਦਿਆ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਕਰੇ ਜਹਾਨੁ ॥
Those who walk on the Path of Truth shall be praised throughout the world.

ਅਠਸਠਿ ਤੀਰਥ ਸਗਲ ਪੁੰਨ ਜੀਅ ਦਇਆ ਪਰਵਾਨੁ ॥
Be kind to all beings-this is more meritorious than bathing at the sixty-eight sacred shrines of pilgrimage and the giving of charity.

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦੇਵੈ ਦਇਆ ਕਰਿ ਸੋਈ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਸੁਜਾਨੁ ॥
That person, upon whom the Lord bestows His Mercy, is a wise person.
SGGS p.136

Vand Ke Chakna - To share the fruits of one’s labor with others before considering oneself. Thus, to live as an inspiration and a support to the entire community.
one of the three pillars of sikhism.

gurasikhaa gurasikh saevaa laaeiaa||
saadhh sa(n)gath kar saev sukh fal paaeiaa||
thaparr jhaarr vishhaae dhhoorree naaeiaa||
korae matt anaae neer bharaaeiaa||
aan mehaa parasaadh va(n)dd khuaaeiaa ||aa||

The Sikhs of the Guru inspire the Sikhs of the Guru to serve.
Serving the holy congregation they receive the fruit of happiness.
Sweeping and spreading the sitting mats they bathe in the dust of the holy congregation.
They bring unused pitchers and fill them with water (to get it cold).
They bring sacred food (maha parshad), distribute it among others and eat.
Bhai Gurdas ji Vaars.

Seva: selfless service to others. Core belief of all Sikhs.

ਸੇਵਾ ਕਰਤ ਹੋਇ ਨਿਹਕਾਮੀ ॥
One who performs selfless service, without thought of reward,

ਤਿਸ ਕਉ ਹੋਤ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਸੁਆਮੀ ॥
shall attain his Lord and Master.
SGGS p. 286

ਵਿਚਿ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਸੇਵ ਕਮਾਈਐ ॥ ਤਾ ਦਰਗਹ ਬੈਸਣੁ ਪਾਈਐ ॥
In the midst of this world, do seva, and you shall be given a place of honor in the Court of the Lord.
SGGS p. 26

"Sarbaht dah Phahla" or "Blessings for Everyone" or literally "May everyone Prosper" This statements is repeated by all practising Sikhs at least twice daily as part of their Nitnem (daily prayers). This concept is central to Sikhism and forms a very important and essential role in the religious philosophy of the Sikh Gurus. To put this in very concise and clear language, it means that the Sikh desires, prays and asks God for the well being of all of humanity, prosperity for everyone in the worldwide community and Global Peace for the entire planet.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: