• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Caste System In Sikhism

KiranSall

SPNer
Jul 21, 2011
Dear Sekhon,

Well i will have to say everyone is the same they are human and people have no right to judge them. there is no one that is higher or lower in Sikhi everyone is the same. As our guru gobind singh ji demolish the caste system by giving the amrit to "panj piyareya" as they all belong to different castes . In the last i say , sikh should be united by leaving their superiority feeling .We should fight against this caste system . we should start making marriage relations in all castes of sikhs . i believe a sikh boy/girl is allowed to marry anyone whom he/she wants to.

Jul 29, 2011
Dear Sekhon,

Well i will have to say everyone is the same they are human and people have no right to judge them. there is no one that is higher or lower in Sikhi everyone is the same. As our guru gobind singh ji demolish the caste system by giving the amrit to "panj piyareya" as they all belong to different castes . In the last i say , sikh should be united by leaving their superiority feeling .We should fight against this caste system . we should start making marriage relations in all castes of sikhs . i believe a sikh boy/girl is allowed to marry anyone whom he/she wants to.

dear sekhon,
i agree with u its very difficult situation coz m sailing in the same boat, i dont know what to do and how to convince my parents, and i also believe in what is said in gurbani dont know what to do...

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
What is said in Gurbani/SGGS actually means absolutley NOTHING to 99% of SIKHS today. The SGGS is just something one matha teks to and repects by covering ones head and bowing...PERIOD. The Gurbani is what the Gyani Ji/Bhai ji reads out during a diwan/wedding lavaan/bhog etc in a Gurdwara..."cant wit for him to finish..and then collect the karrah and go feast on langgar and go home.."...the words DONT MEAN ANYTHING...they fall like water on a desert dune...disappear as soon as they touch base !!

On the other hand.."samaaj....society...friends..neighbours..family...pind walleh..braderi walleh..etc etc etc are REAL PEOPLE..who will TALK..who will GOSSIPP...who will point fingers..snigger behind your back...and SIKHS are more worried about these..."LOK Kee kehnnegeh ?? Rishteydaar kee sochanngeh ?? Pind walleh kee gallan karngeh ?? Jattan dee kurree chamaraan deh viah tee ?? Jattan da mundah trakhannah dee kurree liayah ?? Nak dob ke maar deanngeh lok..rishteydaar...pind walleh khnagura maar maar ke ghar de darwajeh aggon langghnegeh...Villagers will cough loudly when passing by your door..Jattee has run off and married a chmaaar boy...Jatt boy has married a tarkhaan carpenter family's daughter..WHAT WILL our relatives say..They will force us to go and DROWN ourselves !!! THIS is REALITY....SGGS and Gurbani is FAR FAR AWAY..safely COVERED up in Silk RUMALAHS ????? who will LISTEN to Gurbani..who CARES what Guru nanak Ji said 500 years ago...who cares what the Panj did or what Guru Gobind Singh did 300 years ago.....its MY JATT SON insisting he wants to marry that chmararee..that Trakhannee..its OUR JATT PRIDE thats going to be put on the line..not Guru nanak !! OR the panj or GGS ??? Its ME that will ahve to face the daily sniggering of my relatives..my neighbours...there goes the Big time Jatt..whose son ran away with a chamaree girl...besharam. ( Its reality that even IF the Jatt son legally married a chamaree in a Gurdwara lavaan and all..everyone will still refer to that marriage as..... "RUN AWAY"...KADDH LIAYEE...Chamaree KAR-LEE !!...NEVER say "married"..meaning the people never accepted that union as HONOURABLE...so YES its a BIG Battle and UPHILL all the WAY....one has to be very brave to fight the River in FLOOD...its much easier to float with the FLOATSAM.......

I KNOW this reality....Because...many YOUNGSTERS who read my posts on SPN and elsewhere..write to me almost daily from all over the world..thinking that with all my Gurbani and SGGS knowledge...that I Can...'convince" their CASTE RIDDEN Parents to CHANGE...How ?? By writing to them...discussing with them..what Gurbani says..what the SGGS teaches..etc etc....and I DO..write..beg..plead..write..beg..plead..write..beg..plead..to NO EFFECT..after all I am also just as "far away" as the SGGS is from them....hence my frustration and sadness at how the Younger generation is being forced into loveless marriages..based on false pride of the older generation...one way streets that lead no where...maybe this is also a result of such...........http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/canada/36498-man-custody-after-his-wife-stabbed.html who KNOWS ??? so sad.

rajabandai

SPNer
Dec 9, 2011
Giani jee - sekhon has asked a simple thing - who is superior a jatt or ramgharia - answer is simple - in sikhism any person nearer to GURU is superior in hinduism any person donating more to to my own caste-yes i am a brahmin- hypocrite greedy pandit is superior

rajabandai

SPNer
Dec 9, 2011
Dear all Gursikh brothers - i beg to make another point with what little intelligence this humble servant of GURU GRANTH JI possesses " manas ki jaat sabhey ekko pehchanyiye" is broadly percieved as a direction that we sikhs are not given the liberty to distance ourselves from any other human on basis of caste,color,creed , race or relegion . i feel that GURU also mainly stressed in same BRAHMVAAK's that we should not differentiate our actions , feelings , words and conduct etc: when dealng with our father,mother brothers,children and friends in same manner we should act and feel with an abject stranger or even an enemy like BHAI KANAHYIA JEE

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Dear all Gursikh brothers - i beg to make another point with what little intelligence this humble servant of GURU GRANTH JI possesses " manas ki jaat sabhey ekko pehchanyiye" is broadly percieved as a direction that we sikhs are not given the liberty to distance ourselves from any other human on basis of caste,color,creed , race or relegion . i feel that GURU also mainly stressed in same BRAHMVAAK's that we should not differentiate our actions , feelings , words and conduct etc: when dealng with our father,mother brothers,children and friends in same manner we should act and feel with an abject stranger or even an enemy like BHAI KANAHYIA JEE

Brilliant post, pity you only included Gursikh brothers lol

lionprinceuk

(previously Lion_Prince_Jatinder)
SPNer
Jun 29, 2004
west london
Hi, Ramgharia is a misl, and the misl had people from different backgrounds.

If you mean tarkhans, then, firstly we are all human, no tradition is higher or lower. However, in pinds, tarkhans lived in poorer conditions, so would not have been allowed to marry jatts, and this case is still true in the pinds. Cities and internationally, things change.

Tarkhan guy can marry jatt girl if the girl's male family members are tolerant, otherwise jatt males can get violent. So, it depends case-by-case!

iMAN2

SPNer
Nov 24, 2012
I would like to know if Ramgarhian caste is any lower than Jatt caste? If yes, then why?
would also like to know if a Ramgarhian boy is allowed to marry a jatt girl?

Please advise

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------
There is no caste system in Sikhism

Balkar Singh

SPNer
Oct 30, 2008
Dear Sekhon, Gurufateh jio.
In the Sikhism , the real caste is "MANAS KI JAAT " (being hunan) . All other so called jaats are 'family names ', needed for identity in the society. What people call high or low, is the seed of EGO. Beware of it. Win ego with nimarta.
Gurfateh ji.

arshdeep88

SPNer
Mar 13, 2013
i might go off the topic but what about marriages according to religions?
are we expected to adhere "manas ki jaat eko pechano" for castes only?
or for marriages happening outside religions too? or even more than that?
i know Caste is a big issue and problem which we still are carrying in the name of so called traditions in some families
some gursikh famlilies wont marry a guy who is not following and adhering to BANA
and i have seen some gursikhs in bana watching people with no bana as people of low stature
i have seen some forbidding people without Bana to even discuss gurbani and infer calling them people of low stature who have gone astray
or are we just looking at "Manas ki jaat eko pechanyo" with narrow prospective applicable only to castes?

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
[FONT=Calibri[COLOR="Red"]]DELETED VIOLATION OF TERMS OF SERVICES. THE ORIGINAL POST AND FOLLOWING COMMENT, AND THIS QUOTED MATERIAL HAVE BEEN DELETED [/COLOR][/FONT]

I think that is a gross over-generalisation and may come out as offensive to many.
Moreover, this isn't what we have been discussing in this thread, otherwise it may snowball into a Caste X versus Y boxing match.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Actually, the comments by Miss Right are deleted because this is exactly the type of conversation that occurs on too many unmoderated forums. Nothing comes out of this type of talk except either mounting anger or cynical chuckling. It is intended to cause infighting because some people get off on that.

Next time it happens someone will be banned.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM