Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Caste in Relationship

Discussion in 'Love & Marriage' started by KiranSall, Jul 22, 2011.

1. KiranSall

KiranSall
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

ssa all members,

I belong to a Sikh family. My parents believe in caste system a lot and i have a boyfriend who is not the same caste as me. i have no clue how to make my parents agree about the relationship between me and my boyfriend. I have told them about my boyfriend and they keep on bring the fact that he's not a Jatt. i have told them that he is successful and he is a really nice person but they really don't care. I am a person who doesn't believe in the caste system but my parents do. And me and are really serious about each other. How can i make them agree with my relationship with my boyfriend?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    The Sad Reality Of Casteism Hard Talk Oct 23, 2016
    Hard Talk The Caste System: Here's Why It's So Repugnant To Sikhi Hard Talk Aug 15, 2016
    Movies Ashdoc's movie review---Chauranga ( The four colours/castes ) Theatre, Movies & Cinema Jan 9, 2016
    India Patna man files defamation suit against son for inter-caste marriage Breaking News Jan 6, 2014
    Canada India banned the caste system 60 years ago, but it lives on for many in Metro Vancouver Breaking News Oct 11, 2013

3. sachbol

sachbol
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Re: Caste

You must plead your case with your parents. We are a caste-less society. If the boy is from a Sikh family they must have no oblection. my humble request to your parents to rise above caste and be a good Sikh.

• Like Like x 1
  4. findingmyway

findingmyway
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

Thread moved to relationships section as it is a more appropriate part of the forum for this question. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Harry Haller

Harry Haller United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

Sorry to be blunt, but your parents believe in the caste system, not sikhism, they are two opposing things. So attempting to talk to them about sikhi and how it is against the caste system is pointless. Firstly, stop talking about marriage etc, and just bring him home and introduce him to your parents, that is the first step, and then take it from there, let your boyfriend make his own impression on your parents, and then slowly see if they come round, there is no magic statement you can make, just let your love for each other do the talking, see if you can get your mom onside, that will help, see if there any others in your family that have married out of caste, and get them onside too, basically you need to find every and all argument to make your parents see that caste is not relevant, and the thing they fear the most 'log kya kehang gai', if you can get round that, youve got a realistic chance, good luck

6. punjabipredator

punjabipredator
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I would suggest you try to make them realise maybe have them meet him